Fans behaviour

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Point deductions. Although I’m not that sure that “fans” will be bothered about that it may push clubs to do more and increase security and safety.

MUW4Eva

Needs far more police and stewards af games, and for them to actually do their respective jobs, rather than letting people pass them to run onto the pitch for starters.

I have no idea how smoke bombs etc get into grounds, I wasn't even allowed to take on some chocolate recently!

That also needs to be looked at as well.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Massive joined up approach/media across the Summer from all clubs that pitch invasions and/or violence will result in a lifetime ban and any season ticket cancelled.

Then lifetime bans for every fan identified and season ticket cancelled.

Had a heads up. Don't follow it, tough, you're out.

It won't catch everyone (especially with mass invasions) but it'll get a lot.

Clubs announce "we have today given stadium bans to X fans" and keep doing it... once stance seen to be followed, think vast majority of fans will quickly think twice and it'll slow/stop. Same way as they saw it happen/little action taken and it's quickly ramped up, just reverse it.

Also courts should be harder on violence (to players and fans).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’ve not looked into it too much but it has a direct correlation with liverpool being good again.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
alcohol will surely play a part too, more needs to be done to dissuade people from consuming too much before the match.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I was thinking about it yesterday -

there is a significant percentage of fans where football means so much to them that they’ll kill people after a bad result.

It’s like they forget it’s a sport and not a lifestyle.

to some though it clearly is.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Either make teams play BCD if they can’t control their fans or point deductions for repeat offenders. Along with lifetime bans across all stadiums for those caught and identified. Pathetic behaviour from fans.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Let me ask you, is it fair game to shout abuse or call players names when they are on the bench/in the crowd/walking to the bus etc?
If so, then why is it frowned upon for said players to react like cavani for example?

padzilla

Hipster
Are the scum who are running on pitches attacking people likely to care about potential points deductions etc?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Custodial sentences, lifetime bans from all sports venues, named and shamed in local media for anyone who assaults a player or official.

crossy1686

career ending
Point deductions. Although I’m not that sure that “fans” will be bothered about that it may push clubs to do more and increase security and safety.
You can't punish everyone else for the actions of a few people.

Stop letting fans on the pitch is a start and have more camera's on the crowd during match days so police can follow up on any stupidity.

The Firestarter

Le-learn how to behave, as if we are talking about domestic animals not supposedly sentient humans.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I go quite often to watch Bristol Rovers play and was chatting to a steward there after a pitch invasion, he blamed a number of things like cocaine and booze, fans being away from the stadium for too long etc, but he said their biggest problem was that they'd lost a lot of experienced stewards while the grounds had been closed, and now had fewer than before and the ones they do have are brand new to it and very inexperienced.

matt23

Invade the pitch all you want but the minute you assault someone at their place of work you should be volunteering for a prison sentence.

Got feck all sympathy for people who commit violent and unprovoked crime.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
alcohol will surely play a part too, more needs to be done to dissuade people from consuming too much before the match.
Alcohol is a big part of it. On a playoff day, cup final, or a day with real footballing significance, it becomes an event and the drinking starts early and builds up towards it. You won't see the same shit on an early saturday kickoff. It's a real shame.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
You can't punish everyone else for the actions of a few people.

Stop letting fans on the pitch is a start and have more camera's on the crowd during match days so police can follow up on any stupidity.
If they increase security then that should make it harder for them to invade but they will still do it. Maybe deduct points and if any fans who do something stupid are identified by the club and prosecuted then maybe they could get the points back? I don’t know, there’s no easy solution barring bringing back fencing which will never happen and rightly so.

Bwuk

Let me ask you, is it fair game to shout abuse or call players names when they are on the bench/in the crowd/walking to the bus etc?
If so, then why is it frowned upon for said players to react like cavani for example?
Agreed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing wrong with what Cavani did. Or even Rashford a while ago. This idea that fans should have carte blanche on abusing players is absurd.

crossy1686

career ending
If they increase security then that should make it harder for them to invade but they will still do it. Maybe deduct points and if any fans who do something stupid are identified by the club and prosecuted then maybe they could get the points back? I don’t know, there’s no easy solution barring bringing back fencing which will never happen and rightly so.
You can't stop a pitch invasion, 30,000 people wanting to enter the pitch is an impossible ask for security. All you can do for that is state that anyone found to have entered the pitch after the game will be fined. Knowing full well there's camera's everywhere you'd be a moron to still do that. It's not so much the severity of the consequence that deters people, it's the fact there is one that stops people. The club should make this loud and clear before the game to ensure that anyone who flouts that warning did so because they chose to.

Bestietom

Fans bad behaviour and sense that they can do what they like on the increase since covid

Kick it out: racism on the increase

Fans have forgotten how to behave

Billy Sharp assaulted

Robin Olsen assaulted

plenty more examples out there

what’s to be done? What should the authorities be thinking about?
Yes, it is getting worse this season and how are fans getting into grounds with these flares. It's getting so bad that people will not bring youngsters to games. This is a total shame.

Red_toad

MUW4Eva

Yes, it is getting worse this season and how are fans getting into grounds with these flares. It's getting so bad that people will not bring youngsters to games. This is a total shame.
I don't see the need for flares or smoke bombs etc, what exactly is the point of them??
Having been very close to a few when they have been let off, all that happens is that a lot of people start coughing, I know that I did.

People need to do their jobs and properly search people so that such things don't get into grounds.

Bestietom

I don't see the need for flares or smoke bombs etc, what exactly is the point of them??
Having been very close to a few when they have been let off, all that happens is that a lot of people start coughing, I know that I did.

People need to do their jobs and properly search people so that such things don't get into grounds.
A player or coach will be stabbed if they keep allowing fans to go onto the pitch at end of games.

Wheato

Young lads taking coke at a football match is a big issue. It is also a bit weird. Like taking tequila slammers to a baby shower!

Imagine being coked off your napper, with a 75 year granny on one side and a bunch of kids on the other! What is the point in that? You're just going to annoy everyone around you. Did you see them hanging off the goals like monkeys. And people filming it on their phones like it was the greatest spectacle of all time. Sad bastards. Roy Keane was spot on in his summing up. Post covid, people have just lost the plot.

That goal keeper was cuffed on the back of the head, then another bloke smacked him in the nose. Then the steward who was helping him, was completely taken out by a muppet filming himself on his phone. This was not humankinds finest hour.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
It might also have something to do with the erosion of societal consequences, a man boasts about sexual assault and is still elected to the highest office in the world, you can order the murder of a journalist and face no repercussions because the world needs your resource to continue the status quo.

If society can "excuse" the macro actions of global delinquents, then it isn't hard to see how someone could rationalise their own "micro" transgression as being of little to no consequences.

Reactions: 711

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It might also have something to do with the erosion of societal consequences, a man boasts about sexual assault and is still elected to the highest office in the world, you can order the murder of a journalist and face no repercussions because the world needs your resource to continue the status quo.

If society can "excuse" the macro actions of global delinquents, then it isn't hard to see how someone could rationalise their own "micro" transgression as being of little to no consequences.
Very true.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Football fans are among some of the most highly prosecuted people in society (you can argue rightly or whatever, i'm just making the point).

Throw a punch or act up in a football ground and you are getting a suspended prison sentence - minimum.

Oranges038

I don't see how chants can be stopped, vile or not, rivalry and goading is very much part of what makes attending matches and is part of what creates the atmosphere.

Point deductions, and closing sections or whole stadiums on teams for serious trangressions such as racist behaviour and throwing shit.

City and Everton should be made play a hell of a lot of games next season behind closed doors.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Football tribalism and alcohol. What can go wrong.

Even bird watching could get into a brawl with enough alcohol.

Football isnt the problem. Alcohol is
Thugs don’t need alcohol to excuse themselves from being a thug. Alcohol definitely contributes but it’s not the only issue.