Fans planning Old Trafford walkout

TrustInOle

Did Sir Bobby Walk out? His seat was empty on tv, I thought.
I also noticed this, 10 minutes before he was on camera getting emotinal over the 58th clap, 10 minutes later his and his wife seats are empty. Surely that is as big a statement as he can give himself, if this was indeed his intention.

TrustInOle

Also, would it not be easy to organise a peacful, mass protest outside Old Trafford on a key date? For example press day? Wouldn't cost the fans out their own pocket plus have the advantage of the nationwide media right there?

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Can i ask a counter question to that? Who would you say is a bigger supporter? One who goes to a game as he lives nearby( by that i mean in the same country) or one who lives halfway around the world with a 6 hour time difference. Who has to regularly stay up late on weekdays to catch the match? Do you think a fan who watches on tv doesn’t invest anything just cause he cannot afford to go to OT to catch the match. I don’t think not attending matches regularly makes you a less of a fan.
I agree it doesn’t make you less of a fan. It doesn’t make you a supporter in my eye and I genuinely don’t understand how people do it. Not to say I disagree I just don’t get how it works.

I’ve met some incredible people around the world in different countries who ‘follow’ United who know about the history of the club, the city and what they’ve read. Yet the support of the club ends there. No social circles, no family involvement, no community or experiences with the club. I just genuinely don’t understand how it works.

Again ... I don’t disagree with it. At all. Im intrigued and maybe it’s because of my own personal experience and those around me that I find it hard to understand

Last edited:

bludsucker

I agree it doesn’t make you less of a fan. It doesn’t make you a supporter in my eye and I genuinely don’t understand how people do it. Not to say I disagree I just don’t get how it works.

I’ve met some incredible people around the world in different countries who ‘follow’ United who know about the history of the club, the city and what they’ve read. Yet the support of the club ends there. No social circles, no family involvement, no community or experiences with the club. I just genuinely don’t understand how it works.

Again ... I don’t disagree with it. At all. Im intrigued and maybe it’s because of my own personal experience and those around me that I find it hard to understand
I think you have the wrong impression about fans from other parts of the world. To say that there is no social circle or community experience with the club is wrong. For example i am part of an official fan club in India. That entails me purchasing an OUM even though i will not be using the membership for getting any benefits. Our fan club organizes screening events for almost every match where fans can come and meet and watch the match together and belt out chants and discuss about the club and football in general. Since we cannot go to Old Trafford, we try and simulate that experience as best as possible. Now i know there is no substitute for the real thing. But we make do as best as we can. For most of us it’s a dream of a lifetime to visit OT and view a match there. For a lucky few of us who can afford it, they make it to OT once in a couple of years.

iKeano

Knew the walk out would be a flop as soon as I heard the crowds cheering Bruno.

Don't worry Ed, all is forgiven, we have a shiny new player.
It's OK that you're tactially inept Olé, we have a new 'Scholes' in the team.

Apathy and mediocrity are the norm at OT, from the comfy seats to the standing clowns.

romufc

Can i ask a counter question to that? Who would you say is a bigger supporter? One who goes to a game as he lives nearby( by that i mean in the same country) or one who lives halfway around the world with a 6 hour time difference. Who has to regularly stay up late on weekdays to catch the match? Do you think a fan who watches on tv doesn’t invest anything just cause he cannot afford to go to OT to catch the match. I don’t think not attending matches regularly makes you a less of a fan.
Some fans need to wake up. You cannot be the biggest club in the world if you do not have the biggest support.

When those figures come out everyone is up and saying this is the biggest club.

When a walkout and social media is questioned, the fans who have Season tickets think they are the real fans? OT cannot hold more than 75,000 fans and for those fans who think only match day fans should have a view, then they need a doze of harsh reality. The club will not be where it is without the worldwide fans, stop creating a divide in the fans.

Worldwide fans is the sole reason United is where it is. Where when some so called PL matchday fans attend the PL and CL games, it is the casual fans who cannot get a ticket or season ticket who attend home games in the cup competitions just so they could see Manutd play.

Without all types of fans the club will be like CIty, half filled stadiums.

bludsucker

Some fans need to wake up. You cannot be the biggest club in the world if you do not have the biggest support.

When those figures come out everyone is up and saying this is the biggest club.

When a walkout and social media is questioned, the fans who have Season tickets think they are the real fans? OT cannot hold more than 75,000 fans and for those fans who think only match day fans should have a view, then they need a doze of harsh reality. The club will not be where it is without the worldwide fans, stop creating a divide in the fans.

Worldwide fans is the sole reason United is where it is. Where when some so called PL matchday fans attend the PL and CL games, it is the casual fans who cannot get a ticket or season ticket who attend home games in the cup competitions just so they could see Manutd play.

Without all types of fans the club will be like CIty, half filled stadiums.
I think you misunderstood my point. I am saying that fans cannot be classified as superior just because they attend matches every day. I am saying all fans have an equal say and a right for their opinion to be heard and respected. The problem is that there is a disconnect between the fans on social media and match going locals. As the fans on social media cannot dictate to match going fans how they should voice their opinion. The match going fans are voicing their discontent in their chants against the owners.
The walkout protest was an idea which popped up on social media and gained traction as media outlets picked up on it as another way to highlight the negatives surrounding the clubs. It didn’t resonate with match going fans at all and hence didn’t work out.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Prawn sandwich brigade, innit.

Ask Keano what he thought about our super knowledgeable season ticket holders. That lad was ahead of his time.

Munching down on the prawn sandwiches and singing about players who left the club 10-20yrs ago like it's anything to brag about in 2020. Sleepwalking to the Bolt-gun, the lot of 'em.

Cattle.

cyril C

Ask Keano what he thought about our super knowledgeable season ticket holders. That lad was ahead of his time.

Munching down on the prawn sandwiches and singing about players who left the club 10-20yrs ago like it's anything to brag about in 2020. Sleepwalking to the Bolt-gun, the lot of 'em.

Cattle.
But, the Utd Club web site, keep on sending email asking us how we feel about what happen 25 years ago. I just told them to P off, I only care about what happened last year, this month, and coming months.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
I think you have the wrong impression about fans from other parts of the world. To say that there is no social circle or community experience with the club is wrong. For example i am part of an official fan club in India. That entails me purchasing an OUM even though i will not be using the membership for getting any benefits. Our fan club organizes screening events for almost every match where fans can come and meet and watch the match together and belt out chants and discuss about the club and football in general. Since we cannot go to Old Trafford, we try and simulate that experience as best as possible. Now i know there is no substitute for the real thing. But we make do as best as we can. For most of us it’s a dream of a lifetime to visit OT and view a match there. For a lucky few of us who can afford it, they make it to OT once in a couple of years.
Thanks for that mate appreciate the honesty and honestly think that’s amazing. Commitment to watching the games at weird times is actually something I enjoy when I travel. In fact I went to a United Cafe at a shopping centre in Mumbai a few years back and it was brilliant.

Like I said further up I’m happy to be proven wrong

iKeano

Cattle.
Pretty sure Keano was talking about corporate boxes...

Red00012

No doubt the renewal emails will be coming out shortly I’m sure they’ll be telling us about how there’s a waiting list as well. I can see a few not renewing this year just by talking to a few people and reading on here.

It’s come to a stage where you’ll get a ticket for any home game this season just by being a member , I think the only one that didn’t go on sale was Liverpool and I ended up getting a ticket through the ballot.

mark_a

The bottom line is that if a walkout, or any other sort of protest against ownership is planned, it needs to be well organised. Of the people who sit neat me on Stretford End, I reckon less that 1/2 are on Twitter. I don't know how many, if any, are MUST members. If the word doesn't get to regular match-goers then it's got no chance of happening. It really is as as simple as that.

One thing I'm interested in is those small man-in-the-street shareholders who many have had only a few shares. They were forced to sell when Glazers took over but many (all?) held back 1 as a protest/gesture. Does anyone know anything about this?

Red For Ever

The bottom line is that if a walkout, or any other sort of protest against ownership is planned, it needs to be well organised. Of the people who sit neat me on Stretford End, I reckon less that 1/2 are on Twitter. I don't know how many, if any, are MUST members. If the word doesn't get to regular match-goers then it's got no chance of happening. It really is as as simple as that.

One thing I'm interested in is those small man-in-the-street shareholders who many have had only a few shares. They were forced to sell when Glazers took over but many (all?) held back 1 as a protest/gesture. Does anyone know anything about this?

I still have my financially worthless Share certificate on the wall in a frame in my Study ( also known as my Spare room )