Fans planning Old Trafford walkout

padzilla

Hipster
A few of our players tonight may as well have walked out for all the difference they made.

TheReligion

Abusive
Protesting against what? The Glazers have spent £486m net in the last 5 years, 2nd only to City's £602m. Liverpool have spent £107m (source transfermrkt)

The problem isnt the investment its the succession of crap managers and coaching staff
Yeah you've spent nothing you absolute melt

dove

As I said multiple times, our fanbase is as much to blame as anyone for our failures. Not necessarily for today but in general. They just can't see straight.

lsd

The Oracle
As I said multiple times, our fanbase is as much to blame as anyone for our failures. Not necessarily for today but in general. They just can't see straight.

Paying a fortune to go to a football game taking their kids travelling etc and you want them to walk out early? Get a grip

dove

Paying a fortune to go to a football game taking their kids travelling etc and you want them to walk out early? Get a grip
I specifically said "Not necessarily for today" but in general. The "support your manager no matter what" BS is a real thing for our fans.

laughtersassassin

Buy a ticket and the four you can walk out.

Show us how real 'fans' do it
I've been to and go to plenty of games. Have taken part in the protests before. Can't go every game can we? Also technically speaking by not going we are one less person giving them money. Even though someone else probably bought the tickets.

You speak as if you know that we aren't ones who practice what we preach. Sure the group of lads o go over with still wear green and gold. Not cause it's likely to do anything since most gave up but because it stands for what we believe in about this club.

Thanks.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
So dumb. This obviously fell flat because Bruno got done. You can't be that fickle if you are going to protest.
Or it could be that we were still discussing which minute to leave as recently as today. This 'walkout' basically amounted to a load of people debating what to do online. Which is pointless when none of these people go to the games.

TheReligion

Abusive
:lol:
Maybe they're just extremely dedicated to the boycott?
Or just waiting until we are back to the top before booking a visit..

No issue getting behind the walkout and protest but don't give the match going fans grief when you've never set foot in the fecking stadium in your life before.

Jesus wept.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
On a serious note, it didn't help the cause when they stupidly organised it for the 58th minute. Even though they changed the time, the walkout was doomed because in the eyes of most it was a sign of disrespect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I totally get they are committed and have already forked out the cash. But also, they pay a fortune because they're vested into the club. The season ticket holders are the ones who would want long term stability and walking out for one or two games could go some way towards lighting a fire up Woodward ass if nothing else.

Fluctuation0161

Can this be expanded on though please? I see this 'football decisions' line repeated over and over again but very little context or substance to go with it. I have asked many a person to explain the structure of the club and scouting along with examples of specific decisions made and detail on who agreed what and when etc but I've had nothing.

I'm not disagreeing in full but other than general fan discontent and a lot of media hype, with pretty much fuels the fan discontent we don't get much solid information and this, along with hindsight and a lot of revisionism seems to be leaving people with a far worse opinion of us than I suspect we really deserve.

I feel I need to clarify, because this is the internet of course, that I'm not suggesting we have been perfectly run but when you say we can't make good football decisions and we have made mistake after mistake but most of these are in hindsight. At the time, a large majority of the fan base seemed optimistic or in favour of most of the decisions made with the exception really of Moyes and that Summer. Even then, it wasn't uncommon to see messages of general support, some optimism and getting behind him/respecting Fergie's request to back him.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/man...le-in-giggs-player-coach-albert-stays.370530/

In terms of managers, we have brought in Moyes, LVG and Mourinho prior to Solskjaer.

LVG came with a very good CV and if you browse back to before/at the time of his appointment, people we again generally optimistic. Certainly no overwhelming calls that this was a mistake or a bad choice. This was another decision that at the time, people felt was solid, sensible and could lead to success. Whilst not littered with success, LVG did bring a trophy to his time here.

Fast forward to Mourinho and this was a bit more divided but he came with a brilliant record and it was difficult to call how it would go. A good start and a second place finish along with the Europa league helped during his tenure but at the time of his appointment, he could easily be regarded as a solid choice. Someone who has a great CV, can come back in and steady the ship. Possibly a more short term appointment but one that made sense all the same.

Then if you go back and review comments after most of our signings, very rarely were they called bad signings or mistakes. The baord have seemingly backed the manager (with the exception of Moyes) and allowed them to generally bring signings in that suit their goal or style.

Under LVG we brought in:

Herrera
Di Maria
Falcao
Shaw
Rojo
Fosu-Mensah
Valdes

Whilst shipping out players such as Kagawa, Buttner, Bebe, Fletcher, Wellbeck, Anderson amongst others. All Ferguson players and all had been deemed not good enough, under performers or a flop. Even Fergie wasn't perfect I guess?

His signings were generally met with a lot of optimism - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/lou...cao-and-blind-unveiled-11-09-14.396414/page-2 - look through a lot of comments here

More general optimism - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-rojo-herrera-di-maria-mata-bromance.396520/

People were generally ecstatic as bringing in Di Maria - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/official-manchester-united-sign-Ángel-di-maría.395387/

There were a lot of positives around Mourinho's signings - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mourinhos-signings.424402/

Plenty of people were calling for Solskjaer to be given a permanent contract before he got the job. Our form and play was so good that he was backed more and more to get the job. Go and look at fan channels, Neville and other sources at the time, a lot of optimism around this as well. United legend, managed the reserve team, understood the club, the culture, you could tell the players respected him, the fans did as well etc.

Again, not an overwhelming criticism that this was a clueless move from the board and was a massive mistake.

Most of the decisions made, most of the transfers in and manager decisions to both appoint and dismiss have generally been supported at the time.

If the fan base and general football world, fan channels, pundits etc have generally supported a lot of these decisions then how can we look back now and accuse the board of being clueless? Change may be needed but clueless?

I could drag up more and more comments, videos, threads from other forums as well that supported a lot of what has happened - at the time - and it's important to remember this.

A lot hasn't worked out and we may well need to review the structure and get some more help in but to summarise, I think it's getting a bit out of hand in terms of accusing people of incompetence. People are almost trying to out do each other on how much hyperbole they could add in to how bad we/the board/Woodward are and have been that it's getting silly.

We're not in a great place currently but let's not pretend we've been calling everything out as and when it happened because we haven't. People BUZZED off signing Pogba. We've tried appointing managers that people have generally backed at the time, we've supported them with signings they wanted for a large part and signings that people were generally happy with. We've spent a lot of money on transfers, brought in some top, top players as well as some top prospects (at the time. Shaw and Memphis being 2 examples of players that were seen to have very high ceilings).

Our biggest failing has been moving from manager to manager who do not share a general philosophy. It's left the squad with pockets of different types of players and styles and we look now to be pressing reset and looking to put together a squad of players that even if we move Ole on, we can bring someone in who will be happy to work with them. Not have to look to try and ship out 7 or 8 and bring 7 or 8 more in but get sacked part way through doing so and so the cycle starts again.

It's easy for us to sit here and act like experts on a forum and we have the right to debate and critique but as I said, it's getting a little bit over the top now. I don't feel like we have made awful decision after awful decision it's just multiple things didn't work out, players didn't click or develop and throw in some blame to go in terms of the structure and I think you've got a LOT of different reasons we are where we are. I wish we could discuss these in a sensible, more detailed manner rather than literally hold Woodward up as the one reason we're in the position we are. Throw in the constant ad hominem attacks and there's almost no debated or discussion currently, just lots of tantrums and people with very short memories.
Fans cannot run a football club. Fans are also predisposed to being positive and optimistic about club signings. That is how fans are. A club chairman or CEO should have a little.more strategic thinking and planning than fans.

We bring in Moyes (counter attacking and wing play) who needed players suited to that system.

Them we bring in LVG who signed possesion based midgets. We invested hundreds of millions into players who play that style.

Then we sack LVG and go for Mourinho. He likes counter attacking. So anti possesion giants like Pogba and Zlatan. The money spent under LVG was wasted because of a lack of continuity in playing styles.

Not even only a lack of continuity. A complete opposite type of player was require by each successive manager. We have spent money. This massive lack of strategy from Woodward has meant the money we have spent is wasted.

Then to Ole who apparently favours attacking football.

Each time we have spent money that has been wasted due to lack of continuity. No strategy. No plan. Just knee jerk decisions.

Woodward does not know football. He has no one around him who has this level of strategic knowledge regarding club structure and strategy.

laughtersassassin

:confused: wouldn't the vast majority of fans from 2010 be the fans of 2020 10 years older ? Or are you just singling out the 10 year olds ?
No a large portion of our vocal fans who truly cared left and formed their own club. And while I don't agree with stop supporting our club they clearly did love the club and did a lot to try get things to change.

Basically we still have the fans to do the right thing and protest but I guess we don't have enough vocal passionate ones to get things going.

Disappointing.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No a large portion of our vocal fans who truly cared left and formed their own club. And while I don't agree with stop supporting our club they clearly did love the club and did a lot to try get things to change.

Basically we still have the fans to do the right thing and protest but I guess we don't have enough vocal passionate ones to get things going.

Disappointing.
Wasn't that in 2005 ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't believe that people travelling hours and paying 40-50 a ticket, are so selfish they wouldn't walk out on 58mins!

Selfish bastads.
I switched the tv off on 93mins - so If I can make that sacrifice why can't they!

hp88

Only way of getting your point across is by not showing up in the first place. Bet half of the Protesters spent another £5 on a Heineken whilst watching the last 20 minutes on the concourse.

Alek M

Da manic one
Wait SIR BOBBY CHARLTON and his wife walked out? I think the tv showed their empty seats? If so, fekin ball Sir Bobby, hat off!

starman

Idiots on the internet complaining about there being no walkout

You don't need to watch your illegal stream, you know...

ZupZup

If there is any kind of effective match going protest such as walking out... it will be organised by the people with season tickets who go to matches week in, week out. Not some gimp on Twitter telling people what to do.

laughtersassassin

If there is any kind of effective match going protest such as walking out... it will be organised by the people with season tickets who go to matches week in, week out. Not some gimp on Twitter telling people what to do.
But there is no council of season ticket holders. There is MUST be they won't do anything to upset the club anymore.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The majority moaning here have never been to OT in their lives. Gobshites.
Aye but what can you do? It's not possible for some people who live half way across the world. I think they should still have a say. I go a couple times a year but I would have absolutely walked out today. I can miss twenty minutes of footy if it kicks off another fan movement potentially.

ZupZup

But there is no council of season ticket holders. There is MUST be they won't do anything to upset the club anymore.
There isn’t. But as a season ticket holder with many mates who are also season ticket holders... not a single one planned to walk out today. Same with others I have spoken to in the red army.... not a single one.

Yet on Twitter... “fans are planning a walkout”. MUST did send out a survey about the walkout the other day but how influential are they? If the red army walked you’re talking about a whole vocal section of the Stretford End but it was never going to happen during this game.

hp88

MUST have done some good work for us in the past, especially with away allocations etc.. but they’re in dreamland if they think they can topple the Glazers.

The feckers are here to stay until someone puts a couple of billion on the table.

Kostov

Who said I won't do it? Who said I'm happy? I could actually do it though as I go to the game. Don't have a dig at match going fans if you're not prepared to make the same investment.
If I could actually go regularly to a game, your argument might hold some ground, this way you know jack shit about my investment into United.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Protesting against what? The Glazers have spent £486m net in the last 5 years, 2nd only to City's £602m. Liverpool have spent £107m (source transfermrkt)

The problem isnt the investment its the succession of crap managers and coaching staff
That's why if I was about to walk out it would be because of Ole first and foremost. Glazers and Woodward do not spend the whole week with the players, nor do they pick the team.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I tried explaining this the other day when the online Reds were trying to decide what minute the match goers would leave. They fundamentally misunderstand how this works, and how important their opinion is.

laughtersassassin

There isn’t. But as a season ticket holder with many mates who are also season ticket holders... not a single one planned to walk out today. Same with others I have spoken to in the red army.... not a single one.

Yet on Twitter... “fans are planning a walkout”. MUST did send out a survey about the walkout the other day but how influential are they? If the red army walked you’re talking about a whole vocal section of the Stretford End but it was never going to happen during this game.
I'm not a season ticket holder anymore since I live in Ireland now but still make my way to plenty of games. That's fair enough and I agree with you. But I would ask why don't our fans ever care to protest. Just too jaded at this stage? Surely they don't think the club has been treated right.

Then again I do not expect much from our fans we are definitely a club where the majority of fans are in support blind mode. Kind of like Jose. 99% of fans in the stadium backed him until he was gone. For me, I didn't agee and it just seemed strange to have a mentality that its bad to not support everything about your club.

Like last season we played Valencia at Old Trafford. I was at that game. Terrible match, Jose played for the draw after 50 min and didn't bother to make a sub till the 80 something. Pissed me and a decent amount others off to no end. This was relatively close to his sacking but it baffled me that when the final whistle was blown the few murmurs of discontent where immediately drowned out by Fans singing Jose name. By that stage he had slagged us off so much I don't see how everyone could back him so strongly.

Like the fans were so much more United and not afraid to make their opinions heard back in the 2000s. Going to those games especially in 2010 protests was fantastic. No one was afraid of protesting and now it seems like the general attitude is if you show any bit of discontent you are a bad fan. Which in my opinion it couldn't' be further from the truth. To me, it's a sign you care.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Buy a ticket and the four you can walk out.

Show us how real 'fans' do it
The majority moaning here have never been to OT in their lives. Gobshites.
Idiots on the internet complaining about there being no walkout

You don't need to watch your illegal stream, you know...
Agree with all of you!

I wish fans would have walked out today to make a point, but Internet armchair fans making derogatory statements about match attending fans is utter nonsense .

Pscholes18

Most of us can't walk out the door and skedaddle on down to OT to pick up a ticket. However those of you who can, can make a difference. Walk out doesn't work, you've already given them your money. Need to boycott a few matches.

Who are we kidding? No one is going to walk out or boycott. I think Ole leaving has already been decided. He'll finish out the season and then step down.

TheReligion

Abusive
Aye but what can you do? It's not possible for some people who live half way across the world. I think they should still have a say. I go a couple times a year but I would have absolutely walked out today. I can miss twenty minutes of footy if it kicks off another fan movement potentially.
No issue with them having a say. I totally agree that they should. My issue is with people flat out abusing match going fans when they have no idea about the culture, dedication and expense people go through week after week. They can't relate and have no right to be abusive towards them in my opinion.

If I could actually go regularly to a game, your argument might hold some ground, this way you know jack shit about my investment into United.
It's not an argument. As above it's fact. Zero clue about the match goer and what it involves so no right to advise abuse them.

Agree with all of you!

I wish fans would have walked out today to make a point, but Internet armchair fans making derogatory statements about match attending fans is utter nonsense .
Spot on.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
MUST have done some good work for us in the past, especially with away allocations etc.. but they’re in dreamland if they think they can topple the Glazers.

The feckers are here to stay until someone puts a couple of billion on the table.
MUST lost their chance in 2010. They should carry on trying to work with club on away allocations like you said but should stop being involved in ownership stuff.

The support needs to get organised again. Bring back different factions under one banner and take it into the real world rather than Twitter.