Fans returning to stadiums | 4k for Carabao Cup | Suggested 10k for end of season games

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So let’s say 4k get into OT. How many hotdogs will Ed need to sell to break even?

marketing team currently brainstorming that

Kajus

Well of course. We’re Londoners, we’re better and more important than everyone else. Northerners can’t be expected to enjoy the same treatment, do you guys even have 5G up there?
They tried, but luckily we burned it down.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
A lot less surely? We had said we'd made Old Trafford safe for 23500 fans to attend at a social distance so would imagine that would be profitable.
Safe if they are all from Manchester.

They could fill their allotment with attendees from London, easily. Several thousand people moving across a tiered system sounds nuts.

Bare minimum should be ‘Local Fans only’.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
People talking as if 4k fans will actually have an impact on the games :rolleyes: It's basically "sit there with acres of spaces between each other and watch the game in silence", it makes literally no difference at all.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
4,000 should be more than enough to get the Etihad back to pre-Covid levels anyway.
I doubt they could muster that many fans, at the best of times.

If it's 4,000 tier 1, 2,000 tier 2 and none in tier 3, then it doesn't matter, North or South, if infection rates are high, then the numbers should be limited. You guys really a bunch of paranoid anti Southers. fecks sake, I'm Manc born & bred, live near London and can't stand bleedin' Southerners, but that's just bullshit talk.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
True I get that.

I just know being at OT for games with a low capacity and it just feels a bit bleak, but maybe because it'll be ST holders (I expect?) and people properly desperate to be back in their they'll be really up for it.
Yeah, I was going to say low attendances back when things were normal usually indicated fan apathy towards the state of the club or the game you're attending being very insignificant. The context will obvs be very different this time and I will bet you it won't feel bleak if you're one of the lucky ones to attend OT next month.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
1000 corporate peeps should bring in a tidy amount of money.

We need an rvn

It should really be a percentage of the stadium's capacity, for all teams.

Doesn't seem right that Fleetwood town would have same amount of people in it as 75,000 seater Old Trafford.
I'm pretty sure the headline is not telling the fine detail. Headline is 4k for t1, 2k for t2.

That doesn't mean a club who is in T1 with a stadium capacity of 4k gets to be completely full. It will be based on a % of capacity, ability to cope etc I'm sure.

predator

Youth NITK
Imagine how much more effort you'd have to put in when chanting, in social distancing conditions. You'd get found out if you were a mumbler type and would look mental if you were the screaming type.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wonder if they’ll keep the fake fan noise for tv or just play the silence of a couple thousand fans, can’t expect much singing if fans are far apart, you’ll just hear the odd crazy shout from a fan now and again

Okey

Less than 10% capacity for over half of premier league teams, at best, is pretty ridiculous. Surely it should be % based?

Also agree that it should be all grounds or none, at least per division.
Yep. The random number doesn't make any sense scientifically or logically. Only a percentage of capacity makes sense. And you'd need at least 10% for it to be worthwhile.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It won’t impact the games much if at all but it’s a positive step towards some normality.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Imagine how much more effort you'd have to put in when chanting, in social distancing conditions. You'd get found out if you were a mumbler type and would look mental if you were the screaming type.
There'd be no chanting at all with 4k fans in stadiums. It makes no difference as to atmosphere and stuff like that.

VojjE

It isn't more than 4k people being in the stadium that is the problem, it's the logistics of getting them there and home again. Crowding the streets and public transport around the area is what they are worried about.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There'd be no chanting at all with 4k fans in stadiums. It makes no difference as to atmosphere and stuff like that.
It won't be anywhere near as good as "normal" but it will make more difference than you think, the atmosphere at our pre season friendly at Brighton was pretty decent considering as was our CL game in Russia.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It isn't more than 4k people being in the stadium that is the problem, it's the logistics of getting them there and home again. Crowding the streets and public transport around the area is what they are worried about.
Football has passed pretty much every test involved in restarting safely (as i predicted it would before it even restarted and got all ends of abuse for it), i have no doubts they'll find a way to do likewise with this next step aswell!

Josh 76

I wonder if they’ll keep the fake fan noise for tv or just play the silence of a couple thousand fans, can’t expect much singing if fans are far apart, you’ll just hear the odd crazy shout from a fan now and again
Good point.
The less fans in the grounds, the more swearing and abuse you will be able to hear from watching it on TV.

Cloud7

Imagine the crowd being this small in such a large stadium that when you shout something at a player/ref they actually hear exactly what you say and where it's said from :lol:

Needham

I can't even imagine how crap the atmosphere is going to be in these big stadiums with say 2000 fans. 4000 isn't much better.
On the contrary, could be brutal. Players can clearly make out each syllable of abuse. I'm going to turn the volume up to cinema level and enjoy the fun. I bet Sky dub over all the best vile stuff though, soft corporate f#ckin c@nt pieces of sh#t.

Mihai

Imagine the crowd being this small in such a large stadium that when you shout something at a player/ref they actually hear exactly what you say and where it's said from :lol:
Do you remember this legend?

Pagh Wraith

I gave this account of going to two matches in September in another thread:

I'm all for letting fans back into the stadiums. I myself attended two matches in September with 10,000 other fans at 1/3 stadium capacity. Only club members were allowed to purchase tickets but they could buy up to 10 tickets total and these 10 people would then sit together forming a so called "infection group". Ideally these would be family members and close friends but in theory it could have been anyone. That number could obviously be adjusted depending on the current situation. I think in reality the average number of tickets purchased by one person was only around 2.5. Every spectator had to wear a mask from the moment they entered the stadium until leaving it with the stadium announcer reminding us they can only be taken off for sipping on your beer.

Sadly this is a thing of the past as well now in Germany as per our new regulations from yesterday all matches will have to be played behind closed doors again in November. But a point is that it was a concept that worked. The chance of getting infected outdoors are minimal and ZERO new infections could be traced back to football matches. In the last two weeks the number of fans was limited to 999 but instead of spreading them out across the whole stadium, they'd be sitting together in the same section which tells me it's more setting arbitrary limits than pursuing a well thought-out strategy.

As it was back in May, it appears to be more of a social decision (how can we open stadiums when xyz is shut) but I've never subscribed to that view. If it is safe allow it, if not then not.
With regards to atmosphere: It was absolutely brilliant despite the standing areas being largely deserted as only registered fan clubs were allowed to purchase tickets for these sections. There was non-stop singing and chanting for 90 minutes and wearing a mask was no issue at all. No doubt that this being the first stadium experience in a long time and the restrictive ticketing favouring true supporters played their part. But this was Germany and I suspect 4,000 spectators in England won't create much of an atmosphere.

On the topic of swearing/abuse, there were opposition players warming up in front of the standing areas and as one player was doing some sort of squatting warm-up one fan was clearly heard shouting "Are you having a shit or what?" which gave players and fans in the main stand alike a good chuckle. :lol:

Jonesno.8

Seems an odd choice of number when every stadium has different capacities so surely the distancing is based on "distance". If a stadium with 20,000 capacity cab have 4,000 safely then why not 15,000 for us based on 76,000 capacity or whatever it is exactly. Argument for fairness is exactly the same as......... they have a bigger stadium and get more gates. No difference. No singing, shouting or booze. Better make sure Roy doesn't bring the Prawn sandwiches.

Chipper

Adulterer.
How does social distancing work if you need to go for a piss? Squeezing past people on your row and you often touch people or at least come close to it. I'm not that arsed, but was just wondering if the authorities would be or if there's some protocol like no pissing until half time or something and the whole row has to leave the stand.

Also thinking about tv - could it be a cue to stop showing them all again with the justification that fans are now back even if it's nowhere near all of them? Would hope not although they tried that ppv crap.

Red00012

A few thousand fans singing about cutting up Ed Woodward and the glazers would be interesting viewing

Stewards running around the stadium tell fans to shut up or get out :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A few thousand fans singing about cutting up Ed Woodward and the glazers would be interesting viewing

Stewards running around the stadium tell fans to shut up or get out :lol:
I wonder if players will respond when they hear a single fan hurling abuse at them.

Could we see another Eric Dier moment?

Heinzesight

It will never happen. City played Liverpool at home with no fans and then if there's fans at the return everyone will cry it's unfair.....which it is. The rules should not change mid season. It should be the return of fans (in whatever percentage is possible) for all clubs or none at all.
This.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you want to see just what a positive impact even a reduced crowd will make on a match, tune into the highlights of Krasnodar vs Sevilla!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Submitting the postcodes of all Premier League clubs in the Tier checker (post-Dec 2)

Arsenal: Tier 2
Aston Villa: Tier 3
Brighton: Tier 2
Burnley: Tier 3
Chelsea: Tier 2
Crystal Palace: Tier 2
Everton: Tier 2
Fulham: Tier 2
Leeds United: Tier 3
Leicester City: Tier 3

Liverpool: Tier 2
Manchester City: Tier 3