Fans Singing Ole Songs

b82REZ

Yeah I answered your first paragraph above.

You answered my point with your last paragraph. Ole means to me what he means to you on that last statement so I don’t get why people are throwing such a hissy fit.
Because you've made an outlandish statement that RvP is a bigger legend than Ole. I loved RvP but he's never getting a mention as a legend here.

Mainoldo

Because you've made an outlandish statement that RvP is a bigger legend than Ole. I loved RvP but he's never getting a mention as a legend here.
He is though. He’s an actual world class footballer. Why are we not giving credit to that?

It’s like preferring Bruce over Stam.

Dan600

You are over 40 which is why you can’t understand me and I can’t understand you. Nothing wrong with that.

I was about to start secondary school you probably was ready to hit the bars in 99. How we consumed football would of been different.

Hence why the best player in the league in RVP meant more to me in my 20’s than the guy second fiddle to Cole and Yorke scoring the winner meant to you in 99.

Just saying.. not saying your point of view is wrong but it doesn’t make me a ‘non’ United fan for it.
I somehow doubt the age you are giving right now. I've seen several posts conferring they are a similar age to you, and I myself was 9 in 1999. I'll admit after the first half, I was so disappointed with how it was going, I went to bed. I came back down around the 80th minute, encouraged by parents, because it was looking a little better and "you'll regret it" etc. No other English club has repeated that treble since/in the Premier League era. Sheringham and Solskjaer are both club legends for that night.

Anyone who says they were a fan at that age and yet don't look back on it fondly, probably isn't being honest in one way or another. Or maybe you just didn't particularly like football as a young kid, and weren't a supporter of United at that point. I would argue it's up there at the pinnacle of my time supporting United, being younger made that Treble all the more magical for me, and the idea I would look down on anyone involved baffles me. And makes me doubt your integrity and honesty.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nope I’m saying of a certain age Ole might mean a lot more to you than others.

What it takes to win a Champions league meant a lot more to me in 08 as it did in 99.
Yeah, RVP was unbelievably good in 2008, especially in CL.

b82REZ

He is though. He’s an actual world class footballer. Why are we not giving credit to that?

It’s like preferring Bruce over Stam.
Playing ability has no bearing on legend status.

Bruce is a bigger United legend than Stam. Stam was a better player. They're not mutually exclusive.

RUCK4444

I reckon I’m alright yano. I know a lot about United.

But let me know what you feel I’m missing out on with this Ole stuff which means I’m a fake fan?
If you don’t know by now then probably don’t want to see it that way so it’s pointless.

I mean after the start of the season we just had under him and the fact the entire forum is defending him in this statement you made sort of tells a story doesn’t it?

Ole throughout his career was an incredibly useful player for us, scoring so many important goals (including perhaps the most important goal obviously, to secure an historic treble), always ready and 150% committed to the club, even turning down good offers from other clubs who would have guaranteed him first team football just to be part of United and I’ve never seen before a player of his calibre totally commit himself to this role as an impact player, purely for the good of the club. It’s easy to pretend he was ‘just a sub’ he was far more than that, he was an elite finisher and gave us outstanding strength in depth that literally facilitated that treble…. Yet people like you like to trivialise his role here.

minoo-utd

So Barcelona should stop thinking of Xavi as a legend as soon as he fails as a manager...

Right... :rolleyes:
If he plays shit football and with no tactics at all and get hamulated at Nou Camp 5-0 from Madrid what do you think Barca the famous impatience fans alongside with Real will do then?? sing his name ? oh come on.

Being a legend as a player is different to a failed manager.

jeff_goldblum

Yeah I did. So during that journey at 8. Was you disappointed he didn’t start the match? Or did you believe the best two strikers we had started the game? Also within that time period who was your favourite player?

By the way this is not Ole slanders I’m just telling you why I feel the way I feel.
It sounds like you have a weird definition of what makes a club legend. Ole isn't a club legend because he was the best player in the squad, or in the league, he's a club legend because he was a massive team player who gave us his all, made huge contributions when we needed them, year-after-year for over a decade, helping us win shedloads of silverware in the process. Ole's 50 odd goals from 1998 - 2001 where we won three Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the Champion's League stack up pretty nicely against Van Persie's contribution over the 3 seasons he spent here. Watch back any season review of United in the late-90s or early-2000s and you'll easily see why Ole is well-loved. Van Persie rocking up to give us one year of his prime so he could win some silverware doesn't add up, regardless of how good he was in 2012-13.

Lentwood

I think people fail to realise the level of legendary status afforded to Ole at OT.

As far as I can recall/am aware, there's a Ryan Giggs banner, a George Best banner and the 20LEGEND banner up on the Stretford End. Maybe that has changed as I haven't been regularly now for 3/4 years, but for a long time, Ole was the only player I can think of who had a full-time banner dedicated to them in the stadium. Nothing for Keane, Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo, Schmeichel, Beckham, Ferdinand etc....

Point is, we have loads of "legends" at Utd because we have such a rich History, however, there are probably only a few who have achieved "elite" status, and I would say Ole is in that bracket.

I think this is often missed by the media and even some of our own fans who maybe for whatever reason haven't been to OT regularly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The people happy with the chants and realise the legendary status of Ole far outweighs the miserable bastards complaining - the usual crowd as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he plays shit football and with no tactics at all and get hamulated at Nou Camp 5-0 from Madrid what do you think Barca the famous impatience fans alongside with Real will do then?? sing his name ? oh come on.

Being a legend as a player is different to a failed manager.
Not during the match but then afterwards leaving the role as manager - 100% sure. Xavi is an absolute legend for that club. What about Messi? Their best player ever - say he goes to manage them and does shit; people are just going to forget how he played for them? Sure, boo him to get him out of the job - but then booing him after that is just plain idiotic.

Ole didn't go and just walk in to Old Trafford to be a manager - He got chosen by the people who run the club and ultimately no matter how shit Ole was - he tried HIS best even if it wasn't good enough.

As a player HIS BEST WAS GOOD Enough and more than good enough.

So people can sing whatever they want.

KingCavani

Have to think the people belittling Ole are pretty young. No way anyone who watched those 90's/00's teams wouldn't appreciate what a god damn hero he was for United.

Hughie77

The Stretford end goes through there songs in every match, and the away fans do it more. Oles songs are just 1 or 2 in there list . Especially Christmas. Who put the ball in the Germans net ole gunner solskjaer, I heard that last night , and the Shearer was Dearer one which is a classic and carry on lads sing it . Along with the nick knack paddy wack one is a classic. Love it lost my voice last time at OT carry on.

minoo-utd

I hope the song is sung if nothing else just to wind this bunch up.

You don't even need to know very much about the club to know the guy is a legend here, had an excellent career and has always had a very good connection with the fans. His songs were sung constantly in his time here, I remember being a kid at OT and his songs being sung when he was on the bench, he's always had that connection with the fanbase.

I find it baffling that some either genuinely don't understand this or are pretending it's not the case and I don't know which is worse as a United fan.
I don't see why you connect this with being a United fan? because his songs were sang while he was a great footballer for us then it means we all have to accept it again now specially now at this time after what he just did for us as as a manager , I would scream his name if he resigned after that 0-5 defeat but sorry for some fans this is not a good time to repeat his name at least we have to accept and respect that, and stop connecting this with being a united fan! people need to understand all of us will and always respect Ole the player and the player only.

romufc

I kind of liked the fans singing Ole's chant. I think that is what separates us from other fans, yes we all knew Ole's time was up but lets not act as if Ole didnt do an decent job.

We can all talk about what ifs and maybe's but I remember the time when he came in, the place was a shambles, we had no idea where it was going, no idea how to attack or anything.

Yes, the final months of Ole's reign were bad but everyone collectively felt, the team he leaves behind is better than what he found.

Fans are singing Ole more frequently is to remind him and others that he still is a legend and Ole haters are a minority.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't see why you connect this with being a United fan? because his songs were sang while he was a great footballer for us then it means we all have to accept it again now specially now at this time after what he just did for us as as a manager , I would scream his name if he resigned after that 0-5 defeat but sorry for some fans this is not a good time to repeat his name at least we have to accept and respect that, and stop connecting this with being a united fan! people need to understand all of us will and always respect Ole the player and the player only.
Luckily the minority will be swept under the carpet. Long may it continue.

minoo-utd

Have to think the people belittling Ole are pretty young. No way anyone who watched those 90's/00's teams wouldn't appreciate what a god damn hero he was for United.
I'm not young and we all know who was Ole the player and let's keep this away from being a manager for us. Respect goes for him as a player but hearing his songs at this time just doesn't sound right for some for all the awful things he has done as a manager. I don't see why people connect this with being old or young tall or small or a united fan or fake ! this is absolute insane IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not young and we all know who was Ole the player and let's keep this away from being a manager for us. Respect goes for him as a player but hearing his songs at this time just doesn't sound right for some for all the awful things he has done as a manager. I don't see why people connect this with being old or young tall or small or a united fan or fake ! this is absolute insane IMO.
Who put the ball in German net is not a chant that's associated with Ole the manager.

KingCavani

Literally the entire sentiment is about still respecting him as a player in spite of what happened as a manager. If they were still supporting Ole the manager they'd hardly be singing his replacement's name.

"insane" - Jesus. Listen to yourself. That song was being sung every year before he became manager. He's a legend until the end.

minoo-utd

Not during the match but then afterwards leaving the role as manager - 100% sure. Xavi is an absolute legend for that club. What about Messi? Their best player ever - say he goes to manage them and does shit; people are just going to forget how he played for them? Sure, boo him to get him out of the job - but then booing him after that is just plain idiotic.

Ole didn't go and just walk in to Old Trafford to be a manager - He got chosen by the people who run the club and ultimately no matter how shit Ole was - he tried HIS best even if it wasn't good enough.

As a player HIS BEST WAS GOOD Enough and more than good enough.

So people can sing whatever they want.
Who said that?
Not accepting a song right now as we still remember all the damage done by him as a manager is never calling his name to be booed! so don't make things up.

Mainoldo

If you don’t know by now then probably don’t want to see it that way so it’s pointless.

I mean after the start of the season we just had under him and the fact the entire forum is defending him in this statement you made sort of tells a story doesn’t it?

Ole throughout his career was an incredibly useful player for us, scoring so many important goals (including perhaps the most important goal obviously, to secure an historic treble), always ready and 150% committed to the club, even turning down good offers from other clubs who would have guaranteed him first team football just to be part of United and I’ve never seen before a player of his calibre totally commit himself to this role as an impact player, purely for the good of the club. It’s easy to pretend he was ‘just a sub’ he was far more than that, he was an elite finisher and gave us outstanding strength in depth that literally facilitated that treble…. Yet people like you like to trivialise his role here.
The entire forum told me he was a good manager. I don’t pay much attention to the majority.

His role is fine. If anything he has a bigger status than he should of ever got. But fair play to the fanbase… I’ll repeat Andy Cole doesn’t get this love.

minoo-utd

Literally the entire sentiment is about still respecting him as a player in spite of what happened as a manager. If they were still supporting Ole the manager they'd hardly be singing his replacement's name.

"insane" - Jesus. Listen to yourself. That song was being sung every year before he became manager. He's a legend until the end.
No problem at all with all the respect for him it just feels it is not the right time for some to sing his songs now which I see normal after the worst spell we have been through under him as a manager though!

Mainoldo

It sounds like you have a weird definition of what makes a club legend. Ole isn't a club legend because he was the best player in the squad, or in the league, he's a club legend because he was a massive team player who gave us his all, made huge contributions when we needed them, year-after-year for over a decade, helping us win shedloads of silverware in the process. Ole's 50 odd goals from 1998 - 2001 where we won three Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the Champion's League stack up pretty nicely against Van Persie's contribution over the 3 seasons he spent here. Watch back any season review of United in the late-90s or early-2000s and you'll easily see why Ole is well-loved. Van Persie rocking up to give us one year of his prime so he could win some silverware doesn't add up, regardless of how good he was in 2012-13.
I easily see other strikers in our team playing better than him. Where’s there love and songs?

minoo-utd

Who put the ball in German net is not a chant that's associated with Ole the manager.
The point is clear, it's just not the right time to hear his beautiful name around because it's so much connected with all the awful stuff he did as a manager, That's all. I still was waiting for him to put the club first and resign after that defeat from Pool.

RUCK4444

To be honest I find fans/people who are embarrassed by this weak. Just get on with it, laugh off any oppo fans who take the mick, why? Because we’re fecking Manchester United.

How can you be embarrassed by a club legend who won everything here. I would have no problem whatsoever with Chelsea fans signing about Frank even if his time there had ten times worse (if they had any songs other than ‘Chelsea, Chelsea’)… because he’s a part of the club and their history.

This is just embarrassed fans making a mountain out of a molehill because they are scared what their mates might say about it on Twitter. I’ve no care for them to be honest. I’ll leave it there.

SonyaCross493

It made me angry as Ole is the past and it just seems like we are stuck in the glory past it gives rival fans ammunition. Make some new songs up for the players currently playing. Does Greenwood even have a song yet?!

I have nothing against singing about club legends (Cantona Christmas song for example is nice and rare). But the Ole songs were sang constant and clearly sang trying to make a point for the Tele and people watching. Enough is enough. The coincidence was that Young Boys scored a goal during another Ole rendition by the Old Trafford faithful.

I'm sure even Ole himself is embarrassed and finds it bizarre that they are not focused on the current players on the pitch.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

I easily see other strikers in our team playing better than him. Where’s there love and songs?
Look at the careers of those other strikers, how long they were here, where they spent the bulk of their careers, where they played afterwards etc. and you should be well capable of answering that question yourself. Let me know if you work it out but otherwise I think I'll leave you to it.

Mainoldo

Look at the careers of those other strikers, how long they were here, where they spent the bulk of their careers, where they played afterwards etc. and you should be well capable of answering that question yourself. Let me know if you work it out but otherwise I think I'll leave you to it.
Well that’s easy isn’t it. They were nolonger good enough so we got better and moved them on. I mean Ole stayed on because he was a good back up. It’s not hard. It’s not like he outlasted them being the main strikers is it now.

So let me leave that with you and you work it out.

shaky

It made me angry as Ole is the past and it just seems like we are stuck in the glory past it gives rival fans ammunition. Make some new songs up for the players currently playing. Does Greenwood even have a song yet?!

I have nothing against singing about club legends (Cantona Christmas song for example is nice and rare). But the Ole songs were sang constant and clearly sang trying to make a point for the Tele and people watching. Enough is enough. The coincidence was that Young Boys scored a goal during another Ole rendition by the Old Trafford faithful.

I'm sure even Ole himself is embarrassed and finds it bizarre that they are not focused on the current players on the pitch.
Imagine actually getting angry about it. Did you post some harshly worded tweets to your fellow armchair fans about how the embarrassing Utd supporters at Old Trafford were just posturing for the tv? Maybe you should start an anti-ole song hashtag or something if you feel so angry.

Dan600

Players who stick to one club always get more reverence than guys who go off elsewhere in the same league, especially when they go to rivals, or celebrate scoring against their old club. It's not complicated. If Solskjaer had gone to an Arsenal or Liverpool when he wasn't always starting for us, he wouldn't be treated the same. Much like Cole and Tevez playing and celebrating with City against us.

Even talking about wanting to join another club can damage a players status with a club, like when Heinze wanted to join Liverpool. He was a cult hero at the time. Rooney nearly did the same with trying to go to City, but by staying and not joining a true rival he repaired that.

I would have thought having such an important role in so many of our trophies and his clear love for the club, it should be obvious why it is reciprocated.

F*** me you'd think they were still singing "Ole's at the Wheel" for 90 mins the way some of this lot whine on.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Love it and it was clear even before he left that his songs would be sung immediately after he had left.
Amazing that some people still don‘t know the meaning of a legend.
Ole as a player was great for us anyway, but being a legend doesn’t necessarily mean being amongst the best or most talented players. Otherwise someone like Di Maria would be one of our legends.

Ole‘s legendary status will always be there. Hell, we could even win 3 more trebles and still his status is not going to change.

georgipep

Mate you was 6. What do you know I watched the majority of his career you probably don’t even know his debut. Give it a rest or how when he originally came on the scene how commentators couldn’t pronounce his name correctly. Give it a rest this one isn’t for you :lol:
"Mate", you are the perfect example that most times the loudest are not the smartest.. Ignoring people's opinion is your choice. But implying something as daft as "commentators couldn't pronounce his name correct" as "he surely couldn't be any good" is just... sad

Mainoldo

"Mate", you are the perfect example that most times the loudest are not the smartest.. Ignoring people's opinion is your choice. But implying something as daft as "commentators couldn't pronounce his name correct" as "he surely couldn't be any good" is just... sad
All that spiel and you come out with that. Comprehension clearly not your thing.

Where did I say that!!!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Love it and it was clear even before he left that his songs would be sung immediately after he had left.
Amazing that some people still don‘t know the meaning of a legend.
Ole as a player was great for us anyway, but being a legend doesn’t necessarily mean being amongst the best or most talented players. Otherwise someone like Di Maria would be one of our legends.

Ole‘s legendary status will always be there. Hell, we could even win 3 more trebles and still his status is not going to change.
Exactly.
United is constantly talked about as a team that should do/should have done better in the CL.

Can you imagine if Ole didn't do his legendary stuff in 1999? Imagine how the hell we would/could be as a club be without that?

This is just moaning as many people do at any chance they get.

MuFc_1992

It’s not a question of how old you are, it’s a question of how educated you are on the clubs history (or ignorant of it, as the case may be.)

It doesn’t matter how old you are, that lends no weight to the argument.
Exactly, If you use old enough to remember logic then you could argue that Nani is more of a United legend for you compared to George Best because you weren't old enough to watch George Best Play.

Dan600

And just remember this message to you was from a guy who says he was 9 in 99, and he remembers Van Persie more fondly because he was in his 20s when Van Persie was with us (Don't get me wrong Van Persie's season with us was great, but irrelevant to fans' love and respect for Solskjaer).

At this point I think it's becoming obvious that he's a troll/timewaster craving our attention and replies. I was calling him out for saying he was 9 so the 99 treble wasn't that important to him, and then here he is trying to ridicule you and say you wouldn't know because you were only 6 in 99, I can't even...

Mainoldo

And just remember this message to you was from a guy who says he was 9 in 99, and he remembers Van Persie more fondly because he was in his 20s when Van Persie was with us (Don't get me wrong Van Persie's season with us was great, but irrelevant to fans' love and respect for Solskjaer).

At this point I think it's becoming obvious that he's a troll/timewaster craving our attention and replies. I was calling him out for saying he was 9 so the 99 treble wasn't that important to him, and then here he is trying to ridicule you and say you wouldn't know because you were only 6 in 99, I can't even...
Who told you I said I was 9?

Just because you disagree doesn’t make someone a troll. Maybe just answer the points in question.

Withnail

Who told you I said I was 9?

Just because you disagree doesn’t make someone a troll. Maybe just answer the points in question.
Come on mate, you're not being honest and seem to have talked yourself into knots.

You make a ridiculous claim about RVPs contribution over Oles.

Then you try to defend this by saying you were younger and the RVP season meant more, which is fair enough but doesn't explain what you said. You never spoke about personal feelings or what meant more in the initial statement.

Then someone else makes a good point which you ignore, tell them they are too young to know and that you've watched Ole's whole career.

You're making zero sense here and contradicting yourself.