Fans Singing Ole Songs

kidbob

Mate you was 6. What do you know I watched the majority of his career you probably don’t even know his debut. Give it a rest or how when he originally came on the scene how commentators couldn’t pronounce his name correctly. Give it a rest this one isn’t for you :lol:
I was 10 in 1999. The first sporting event I remember crying over was actually the year before when Kildare lost to Galway in the All Ireland Football Final. My Aunt told me there would be another day for them but somehow I knew there wouldn't be. Turns out I was right.

The next time I remember crying is when we drew with Liverpool 2-2 when Irwin was sent off. I thought the league was done and Arsenal would win it.

I like many others initially missed Ole's winning goal as I was busy celebrating Teddy's goal. But trust me when I say I remember every small detail from when we won that final.

As a guy with blue eyes and slightly curly light brown hair hearing I looked a bit like Ole meant the whole world to young me. The man is more than a legend, he is representative of what this club stands for.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Cole was a better player - otherwise Solskjaer would start and Cole would be a sub. Surely that's a logical statement that needs no further debate.

Football is a game of episodes/moments, and Solskjaer grabbed the biggest/most dramatic of them all which cemented his place in history and contributed to the aura/legend, but let's get real - he wouldn't be in the top 30 United players of all time on ability alone.
Nobody's saying he's a top 30 player on ability alone. The reason why he's considered a legend (one of the greatest, in fact) should be obvious to any United fan.

Which is why it's bizarre to bring this goal ratio business into it in the first place. But once that has been done, it's doubly bizarre to use the fact that he scored more goals in less minutes (than Cole) against him.

Cole vs Solskjaer in general is a pointless debate - it has nothing to do with...anything. It's apples and oranges, for one thing. Cole in his prime was (I would say) a better player than Solskjaer. But Solskjaer had a very different career trajectory, played multiple positions, spent his entire career (after coming to the club) at United, etc.

A slightly less pointless debate would be:

a) Who was the better/more lethal finisher/goal scorer?

or

b) Who had the most impact at United over the course of his entire career?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
RVP’s one season it better than Ole’s whole entire United career.

Where I’m from close to my age can’t nobody tell us different. If your older than 40 then maybe it’s different and fair play to you guys.
Age has nothing to do here. I think I'm younger than you and I dont remember a lot of Ole the player - started watching in around 2002/03/04 and he was already having injury troubles. So let's not get into "Oh I was young", because by that logic, we'd not call Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and even players like Eric Cantona legends.

I don't mind either way. I was just pointing out what the actual issue was.

It seems an irrelevant thing to me but it does showcase the divide that happened in the fanbase during ole's reign.
The divide happened during Mou's reign and stayed till end of Ole's reign. I doubt there is anyone who isn't backing Rangnick - yeah sure, a lot of us wanted Ole to succeed here - but there was a good chunk who was Anti-Ole from the very start, including journos

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't know how many times i must say this; I am not Ole hater. Why would i be Ole hater? I am just highly critical (have bigger standards) to those who are not doing good job for this club. I didn't want Ole gone because i hate him (who the feck can hate Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and be United fan?). I wanted him gone because from day one i knew that he is not good enough. And as we saw, he was awful.

Damage? Won nothing, wasted 3 years in nothing, left uncoached squad, broke negative records.
He did left high quality squad, i admit that.
And yet you loved Mourinho and defended him to the hilt. A man that did far far more damage to this club and fan base than Ole could even dream of. In fact the only reason our expectations were lowered was because of the absolute state he left the club in. In comparison Ole has left us with our best squad in 10 years by a distance and the platform to get better. Ultimately he only failed because he wasn’t quite good enough as a coach but the rest of what he did was excellent and absolutely no comparison to Lampard who was largely shite.

Amarsdd

Here I'm saying it. Depay is better than Cantona. You know why? Cause I'm 32. Prove me wrong, you feckin old geezers. HAHA

JB7

Here I'm saying it. Depay is better than Cantona. You know why? Cause I'm 32. Prove me wrong, you feckin old geezers. HAHA
Obviously you're joking but there definitely will be some idiot on here one day bemoaning Cantona's legend status; "he didn't even score 100 goals for United that's less than Ole and he was only ever a sub in a cup final one time" :rolleyes:

GBBQ

I think its great to hear it ringing out so clearly during matches, especially knowing Ole is most likely watching. As a player, coach and manager he's always given his all for the club and the fans recognise that.

Real Name

Obviously you're joking but there definitely will be some idiot on here one day bemoaning Cantona's legend status; "he didn't even score 100 goals for United that's less than Ole and he was only ever a sub in a cup final one time" :rolleyes:
Yeah, in 3, 4 years or sooner there'll be guys who'll ask why is 12 Cantonas sang at our games during Christmas time definitely.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Cole was a better player - otherwise Solskjaer would start and Cole would be a sub. Surely that's a logical statement that needs no further debate.

Football is a game of episodes/moments, and Solskjaer grabbed the biggest/most dramatic of them all which cemented his place in history and contributed to the aura/legend, but let's get real - he wouldn't be in the top 30 United players of all time on ability alone.
Gary Neville is probably one of the least gifted football players we've had during our succesful period, still i think most will consider him a legend - no matter what they think about him as a pundit.
The reason he did well wasn't because of football abilities, he played with his heart outside the shirt, always gave it his all, and was loyal to the end - the episode when Phil played for Everton comes to mind.
I even think i have heard him say this himself.

Legend isn't always about skills.

tyunited

CL Final 1999 is probably the best moment for me as a United fan. Forever legend status.

Real Name

Gary Neville is probably one of the least gifted football players we've had during our succesful period, still i think most will consider him a legend - no matter what they think about him as a pundit.
The reason he did well wasn't because of football abilities, he played with his heart outside the shirt, always gave it his all, and was loyal to the end - the episode when Phil played for Everton comes to mind.
I even think i have heard him say this himself.

Legend isn't always about skills.
Remember him not shaking hands and not even looking at Schmeichel when the guy was at City. That was great. :D

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m in & out with this thread but is someone saying King Cole wasn’t better than Solskjaer?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And when he decided to stay he kept playing him
Yeah, he rejected Spurs move and scored CL winning goal that season

He also had few brilliant seasons for us, solid contributor in almost every season.

StartsSubsMinsGoalsAssistsMins per G+A
1996-97
33​
13​
2929​
19​
5​
122.04​
ManUtd top scorer in PL and all competitions
1998-99
16​
20​
1587​
17​
3​
79.35​
3rd highest scorer
1999-00
24​
22​
2256​
15​
8​
98.09​
3rd highest scorer, also 3rd highest assists
2000-01
26​
21​
2518​
14​
5​
132.53​
2nd highest scorer, 3rd in assists
2001-02
30​
17​
2852​
25​
3​
101.86​
2nd highest scorer
2002-03
40​
17​
3750​
15​
15​
125.00​
3rd in goals and 1st in assists.

Foxbatt

Don't we have that kind of love for the man who actually won us the CL? The man who scored the equalizer and who put it on a plate for Ole to score the winning goal?

Withnail

I’m in & out with this thread but is someone saying King Cole wasn’t better than Solskjaer?
No, Cole's name has been thrown into the mix as a red herring to distract from the ridiculous claim that RVP has done more for the club than Ole. It's turned out to be quite a successful tactic but the thread has gone to absolute shit.

Spoony

The People's President
Don't we have that kind of love for the man who actually won us the CL? The man who scored the equalizer and who put it on a plate for Ole to score the winning goal?

Take a deep breath and let it go. I get that the horrible Ole’s ruined your life. And to make matters worse those match day fans are singing his songs!!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, now moaning about why Ole as a player was loved by fans :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I was 10 in 1999. The first sporting event I remember crying over was actually the year before when Kildare lost to Galway in the All Ireland Football Final. My Aunt told me there would be another day for them but somehow I knew there wouldn't be. Turns out I was right.

The next time I remember crying is when we drew with Liverpool 2-2 when Irwin was sent off. I thought the league was done and Arsenal would win it.

I like many others initially missed Ole's winning goal as I was busy celebrating Teddy's goal. But trust me when I say I remember every small detail from when we won that final.

As a guy with blue eyes and slightly curly light brown hair hearing I looked a bit like Ole meant the whole world to young me. The man is more than a legend, he is representative of what this club stands for.
Christ you were a whiny little sod werent you :lol:

JB7

The one who spent 7 years less at the club and made more appearances for two other clubs than United? Are you for real? And that’s not even to say Sheringham isn’t still popular & that “Oh Teddy Teddy” doesn’t get an airing from time to time but again, surely you’re not serious?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If support of past players who gave us some great times and memories is disturbing some fans I'd call that insane. I suggest you turn off the volume whilst watching your streams.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The "You are my Solskjaer" song actually has 5 full verses.

The other night when, I was sleeping
I dreamed I stood there, in Red and Black
But when I awoke, here, I was mistaken
And I hung my head and I cried

You told us once that, you really loved us
And no one else would come between
The Red is holy, as we’re United
And we know, you’ll never leave

You are my Solskjaer, my Ole Solskjaer
You make us happy when skies are grey
And Alan Shearer was fecking dearer
Oh, please don’t take our Solskjaer away

We’ll always love you, you make us happy
You’re our Legend, and our Hero
You scored in plenty, as number twenty
And Man United could never lose

You are my Solskjaer, my Ole Solskjaer
You make us happy when skies are grey
‘Couse when it’s pouring, you keep on scoring
Oh, please don’t take our Solskjaer away

Foxbatt

The one who spent 7 years less at the club and made more appearances for two other clubs than United? Are you for real? And that’s not even to say Sheringham isn’t still popular & that “Oh Teddy Teddy” doesn’t get an airing from time to time but again, surely you’re not serious?
This is the point I am making. It should not be that he is a legend only because he scored that goal.

Foxbatt

Take a deep breath and let it go. I get that the horrible Ole’s ruined your life. And to make matters worse those match day fans are singing his songs!!
This is the point I am making. He should not be legend only because he scored that goal. But some people are making it so.

Also a lot of Liverpool fans and city fans were singing his song too.

Mainoldo

Age has nothing to do here. I think I'm younger than you and I dont remember a lot of Ole the player - started watching in around 2002/03/04 and he was already having injury troubles. So let's not get into "Oh I was young", because by that logic, we'd not call Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and even players like Eric Cantona legends.

The divide happened during Mou's reign and stayed till end of Ole's reign. I doubt there is anyone who isn't backing Rangnick - yeah sure, a lot of us wanted Ole to succeed here - but there was a good chunk who was Anti-Ole from the very start, including journos
Missed my point. Are all those players you named better than Ole? Also if they are why?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Missed my point. Are all those players you named better than Ole? Also if they are why?
What do you mean by why are they better?

Look, ability and status as a legend aren't as correlated as you think. Di Maria, Veron, Pogba, etc. are some of the better players that have donned our shirt in terms of ability and will probably feature in top 20-30 in all time. But they wouldn't be regarded as legends (unlikely for PP as well unless there is a massive turn around) unless they start playing for the shirt in addition to showing their ability. Neville is an example on the other end of the spectrum

Mainoldo

If Cole was still 1st choice, he wouldn't have wanted to leave. But I give up. You do you, just be careful not to hurt others...
We dumb doesn’t understand dumb.

Well yes he wanted to leave because he wasn’t playing. Which extends the point why was Ole so happy to stay :lol: