Fans who were against today's protests

Green_Red

I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion on what a football club actually is. To me, it's a business that serves entertainment to its customers (fans) and in parallel serves the fans as a product to its other customers (advertisers, sponsors, etc.). As a business, a football club can definitely be bought with a leveraged buy-out. Fans aren't happy with the debt, that's cool but it is a business decision and it hasn't stopped the club from investing massive amounts into the squad.
Said like someone who has never been involved in a football club in their life, either as a player or a volunteer. Football is a sport played for the enjoyment of a community. This isn't fecking coca cola.

R77

I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion on what a football club actually is. To me, it's a business that serves entertainment to its customers (fans) and in parallel serves the fans as a product to its other customers (advertisers, sponsors, etc.). As a business, a football club can definitely be bought with a leveraged buy-out. Fans aren't happy with the debt, that's cool but it is a business decision and it hasn't stopped the club from investing massive amounts into the squad.
Do you understand that this perception is a fundemental part of why this is happening? Maybe if they'd invested just a little of their own millions into the club, fixed the stadium, we might not be where we are. They've put nothing in, not a cent, just taken. All costs have been generated by the club. I guess it's all fine with you as it's merely a business?

You got a link to the one you’re referring to?

Cast5

Do you understand that this perception is a fundemental part of why this is happening? Maybe if they'd invested just a little of their own millions into the club, fixed the stadium, we might not be where we are. They've put nothing in, not a cent, just taken. All costs have been generated by the club. I guess it's all fine with you as it's merely a business?

Oh yeah I’ve seen that one actually, hope the door is ok and doesn’t need hospital treatment.

lysglimt

Scout
As usual everything is completely black and white here - either you are against the protests or you are for them. Some of us actually have a different opinion that is somewhere in the middle.

If 20.000 fans were blocking the entrances to the stadium, refusing the busses entrance to the stadium etc - I would be for it. Even if it meant the game not being played. I am for every single fan who was standing outside the stadium screaming towards the Glazers.

But once someone breaks down a door, enters the stadium, starts throwing things at police or hurting police offers (if that has happened) - I am against it. The problem with demonstrations like this - is that there is always someone too angry, with too little impulse control - who does something stupid. And then others follow - and they will face the consequences. I do however hope the club will show a bit of leniency with the majority of the people who took it too for.

georgipep

Said like someone who has never been involved in a football club in their life, either as a player or a volunteer. Football is a sport played for the enjoyment of a community. This isn't fecking coca cola.
Football is truly a sport played for the enjoyment of a community. It could be played in a non-professional manner by the community or profesionnally, like Manchester United do. And just like any other entertainment business, the professionals are doing it for money, because, yes, it is a business. And any business' first and biggest goal is to make profits for its owners.

I don't particularly care if other people share my opinion or not. Problem is with violence and with the potential of setting a very dangerous precedent.

Yes, it's all fine and I understand it, of course. But I disagree when it comes to the reasoning of the opposite argument. I don't see why owners should invest their own money. The appeal of buying a profitable business is the part that it is....profitable. You and many others may not like the leveraged buy-out mechanism of buying the club but it is perfectly legitimate and if you must be angry at someone, why not be angry at the people who sold the club? They are the ones who allowed this "injustice" to happen.

I've written it in a lot more detail in other posts but I'll write it again. The Glazers are not the best owners in the world. But they are the devil we know and they are, most definitely, above the average for owners of a football club. I do not want a Saudi/Chinese/ex-USSR billionaire owner and I do not want 50%+1 ownership model. I would have a big problem with either of these for different reasons.

If there's any other billionaire that wants to buy the club off the Glazers, let's see who they are, what they are planning and we take it from there.

georgipep

We need a tag for the people who don't approve of a protest, unless a 100-page constitution has been drafted in advance. I can think of a few.
You can note my username somewhere for easy reference, if you'd like.

Also, this feels like it has been done before...and there were some angry people delivering what they were absolutely certain was right back then too...

Cast5

Can’t believe the amount of pro Glazer shills on here calling themselves United fans, none of them mention coppers battering innocent United fans.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can’t believe the amount of pro Glazer shills on here calling themselves United fans, none of them mention coppers battering innocent United fans.
There is no doubt there are at least few Glazer men posting as ManUtd fans, that's sort of normal. Hard to find who though, IIRC at least one was clear case and most knew about it. Forgot the user name.

roonster09

Scout
This is the photo that has been distributed a lot around twitter. Obviously I don’t know how accurate it is.

Finally swissramble posted the tweet.

Cast5

There is no doubt there are at least few Glazer men posting as ManUtd fans, that's sort of normal. Hard to find who though, IIRC at least one was clear case and most knew about it. Forgot the user name.
Definately, they stand out like a sore thumb.

mundo7

see this is the issue with a discussion going on here, anyone against the non-peaceful protests at all gets labelled a “glazer shill” etc, or simply told “you need to read up on xxx”, It’s quite frankly pathetic.

there may well be lots of things about the protests that these people agree with, however the violent parts, injuring police officers, breaking down doors, trespassing in areas they shouldn’t be, all overwhelm this because of the minority of idiots who can’t control themselves when in a group

Dan_F

OK good to discuss non-violent matters.

IMO, only City and Chelsea have the depth in squad that can afford to make significant changes without noticeable impact on fire power (8 for Palace game? still have Aguero Sterling)

Just for argument sake, what if we make 4 changes beside keeper. Obvious changes include

Greenwood for Cavani
James for Rashford
Teles for Shaw
Matic for Fred

And I am not taking Bruno or Pogba off (may be until 2nd half), so this must be our strongest B+ team that anyone could have hope for?

If we setup to park the bus for counter-attack, Greenwood and James should be fine, depending on conversion rate. Matic should also fine although less mobile. But Telles simply cannot replace Shaw, defensively nor offensively. So we will drop at least 10-15% if we need to chase a goal, may be par on counter-attack, and may be par defensively. IMO this is good enough to replicate Chelsea's sting on Liverpool with the famous StevieG slip.

What if we make further changes
Bailly for Lindelof
VDB for Bruno (or Pogba)

This is what I would have predicted, should we have 2 games in 3 days.

Defensively and offensively, must be affected. Before I think about whether Williams and Mata should start.

We are talking about a hungry Liverpool that need 3 points, not Burnley or Newcastle that is OK for a point...
The first team I posted is for the Liverpool game. That’s our absolute best 11, unless you want to get Greenwood in there somewhere.

Why can’t Telles replace Shaw in a game that we have a 4 goal lead in? That game is irrelevant. It’s completely done. There isn’t a team we could put out that would lose 4-0.

roonster09

Scout
see this is the issue with a discussion going on here, anyone against the non-peaceful protests at all gets labelled a “glazer shill” etc, or simply told “you need to read up on xxx”, It’s quite frankly pathetic.

there may well be lots of things about the protests that these people agree with, however the violent parts, injuring police officers, breaking down doors, trespassing in areas they shouldn’t be, all overwhelm this because of the minority of idiots who can’t control themselves when in a group
Go ahead and show me where I accused anyone as Glazer men?

Its pathetic.

Classical Mechanic

Great thread from SR

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Those tweets from SR are just killing me. We were always aware of this but reading it just breaks your heart.
this is the message that needs to be spread! And that is the message that should have been shown inside OT! Not stupid selfies and smashing things!

Rooney24

As usual everything is completely black and white here - either you are against the protests or you are for them. Some of us actually have a different opinion that is somewhere in the middle.

If 20.000 fans were blocking the entrances to the stadium, refusing the busses entrance to the stadium etc - I would be for it. Even if it meant the game not being played. I am for every single fan who was standing outside the stadium screaming towards the Glazers.

But once someone breaks down a door, enters the stadium, starts throwing things at police or hurting police offers (if that has happened) - I am against it. The problem with demonstrations like this - is that there is always someone too angry, with too little impulse control - who does something stupid. And then others follow - and they will face the consequences. I do however hope the club will show a bit of leniency with the majority of the people who took it too for.
This is exactly my feelings on it as well.

Protest is absolutely fine - and needed. There is no argument there. But once it moves onto trespass and criminal damage it starts to do more harm than good - it shifts the moral high ground to the Glazers and they will definitely use it. Only my opinion so dont shoot me.

As an example of this we only need to read the statement the club put out yesterday. Its heavily loaded and focused on the "criminal damage" caused by the fans.

vidic blood & sand

This was discussed to death on sunday with a lot of emotion. In hindsight and with time to reflect, I still think the majority of fans made a strong statement of intent. I'm not too bothered about the fans making their way on to the pitch, even if some damage to doors was done. No big deal. The lack of preparation for the protest shows how much the club is out of touch with the level of anger towards the owners, and this nonchalant attitude has trickled down from the owners themselves. The attitude would have been, let them have a song and dance outside, and they'll all forget about it in the summer. They completely fail to realize that the fans see this as the end game. This is no longer a situation where the fans are frustrated with the Glazers, they're done with them.
The only regret is the tussle with the police, which was so unnecessary, because by that time the damage was done and the message had been well and truly delivered. We now have to keep up the protests through the summer, and boycott shirt sales and merchandize.
We will evict these squatters.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The whole conversation about football being a business is an interesting one.

On one hand, a football club anywhere on the pyramid system needs finances to survive. At the lower levels it's the parents paying for boots and balls, local small businesses sponsoring shirts, coaches giving their time for free all to do one thing. Play the game. Family and friends watch on the sideline. It's not about profit.

As you move up the pyramid, to say League One or Two...it's pretty much the same. Except now, players are professionals, there are full time staff and the stadium needs maintenance. It is still to do one thing. Play the game. Now you have local supporters (in the main) following the club over decades. It's still not about profit.

So let's go to the Premier League. The scale is totally different. The ambitions are higher. The expectations are higher. But intrinsically it's exactly the same. You need (more) money to pay the players, manage costs, and be competitive in the transfer market. If you're successful you attract more money through TV and sponsorship. The players still just want to play football. Yes they are paid more and yes the PL may attract a small percentage of mercenaries following the cash, but the vast majority of players are playing because they love the game. A lot of people working at the club have supported the club too for many years. Sure, Mary in IT, Bill in Catering and Suzy in the ticket office don't care. It's just a job. But for many others it's more than that. Now the supporters are global and in many cases the global support outweigh the local support. So watching it on TV, analysing it on forums and tweeting about on social media is more common that actually going to the game. But they are all still supporters. They are not interested in profit. It's still playing the game.

So when does this business model come into play? The millions of fans have never regarded themselves as 'customers'. I certainly don't. The players don't see themselves as 'employees'. The guy running the Museum, the people on MUTV, Cliff Butler the historian don't see themselves as 'co-workers'.

It's when ownership comes into play and decides to make money out of a club (in the Glazers case putting zero into it...they don't wash the shirts, stand on the sidelines, or help out after the match) that they start THINKING they can run a football club like they run a corporation with the primary focus on profit. They are the only people in this whole eco system who is NOT INTERESTED in the game.

No one has turned a football club into a business except the owner. And who in the f*** makes them think that we will all just agree with them.

I guess there is a percentage of people on here who want to be customers. Fill in the feedback form.

For the rest of us...it's still a game. A game with history, culture, community, heroes, family and friends. That's why we care.

lysglimt

Scout

On one hand, a football club anywhere on the pyramid system needs finances to survive. At the lower levels it's the parents paying for boots and balls, local small businesses sponsoring shirts, coaches giving their time for free all to do one thing. Play the game. Family and friends watch on the sideline. It's not about profit.

As you move up the pyramid, to say League One or Two...it's pretty much the same. Except now, players are professionals, there are full time staff and the stadium needs maintenance. It is still to do one thing. Play the game. Now you have local supporters (in the main) following the club over decades. It's still not about profit.

So let's go to the Premier League. The scale is totally different. The ambitions are higher. The expectations are higher. But intrinsically it's exactly the same. You need (more) money to pay the players, manage costs, and be competitive in the transfer market. If you're successful you attract more money through TV and sponsorship. The players still just want to play football. Yes they are paid more and yes the PL may attract a small percentage of mercenaries following the cash, but the vast majority of players are playing because they love the game. A lot of people working at the club have supported the club too for many years. Sure, Mary in IT, Bill in Catering and Suzy in the ticket office don't care. It's just a job. But for many others it's more than that. Now the supporters are global and in many cases the global support outweigh the local support. So watching it on TV, analysing it on forums and tweeting about on social media is more common that actually going to the game. But they are all still supporters. They are not interested in profit. It's still playing the game.

So when does this business model come into play? The millions of fans have never regarded themselves as 'customers'. I certainly don't. The players don't see themselves as 'employees'. The guy running the Museum, the people on MUTV, Cliff Butler the historian don't see themselves as 'co-workers'.

It's when ownership comes into play and decides to make money out of a club (in the Glazers case putting zero into it...they don't wash the shirts, stand on the sidelines, or help out after the match) that they start THINKING they can run a football club like they run a corporation with the primary focus on profit. They are the only people in this whole eco system who is NOT INTERESTED in the game.

No one has turned a football club into a business except the owner. And who in the f*** makes them think that we will all just agree with them.

I guess there is a percentage of people on here who want to be customers. Fill in the feedback form.

For the rest of us...it's still a game. A game with history, culture, community, heroes, family and friends. That's why we care.

To me it seems that the fans, the protesters - no one knows exactly what they want - they just don't want the Glazers. Nor do they want owners from Saudi Arabia. But if they don't want people exploiting the club, nor stinking rich owners who made their fortune by exploiting people - there really aren't that many options left. Barcelona and Real have their way - I certainly would not want that. I want to believe in fan-owned club - in theory. The heart in me want that - the brain in me thinks otherwise. Partly because they lack the competence, but also because there are as many opinions as there are fans.

diarm

Brilliant post mate.

DoomSlayer

Totally agree, great post mate.

I'd love to see a poll, in which people can vote whether they feel like supporters or customers. It would show me which people not to engage with in any sort of conversation. :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Customers, consumers, brands, business' and franchises...all too clinical. Football should be about passion, traditions, communities, emotions etc. Carragher spoke like a fan with passion and an understanding how fans feel but everyone has the right to voice their opinions, I just find folk who seem uber pragmatic and devoid of the feelings the likes of Carragher express and feel, hard to understand. Sure not everyone is the same but surely that's not why they fell in love with the game in the first place?

DoomSlayer

Customers, consumers, brands, business' and franchises...all too clinical. Football should be about passion, traditions, communities, emotions etc. Carragher spoke like a fan with passion and an understanding how fans feel but everyone has the right to voice their opinions, I just find folk who seem uber pragmatic and devoid of the feelings the likes of Carragher express and feel, hard to understand. Sure not everyone is the same but surely that's not why they fell in love with the game in the first place?
I'm just starting to put those "customers" on the ignore list. Can't be asked getting warnings or getting banned when I begin telling them what I feel about their "pragmatic" idea of football.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Does juve owner puts money everytime they want to buy player? Does everton? Does newcastle? Does real?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Taking your son to a sunday club football is sport. When an indonesian like me watching a global brand where their players is being paid hundreds of millions to play football, and fed with constant barage of "if you like united please subscribe" and stay tuned after a message from our sponsor then it's a business.

Just like i choose one of the biggest brand to support, they use 100 marketing tricks to maximise profit, and i choose which team to support based on how much money being spent on players etc.

DoomSlayer

Taking your son to a sunday club football is sport. When an indonesian like me watching a global brand where their players is being paid hundreds of millions to play football, and fed with constant barage of "if you like united please subscribe" and stay tuned after a message from our sponsor then it's a business.

Just like i choose one of the biggest brand to support, they use 100 marketing tricks to maximise profit, and i choose which team to support based on how much money being spent on players etc.
You seem triggered, as usual, Mr. Consumer. :lol: Don't bother replying, I won't see it, but it's great that you are outing yourself like that.

JohnnyKills

Agree. I'm very much in favour of the protests but some of the stuff in this thread is just online bullying.

Posh Red

And some of those stewards that were in danger and scared are probably also United fans. It’s not just police that were at risk. It’s the staff of the club too.

big rons sovereign

:lol: 3 posts in 8 years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Great thread thanks for posting. I am at a loss as to why there’s some on here who defend them.

big rons sovereign

Am I right in thinking that door doesn't lead to the pitch?
But the media narrative is that those fans smashed their way on there. :rolleyes:

cyril C

The first team I posted is for the Liverpool game. That’s our absolute best 11, unless you want to get Greenwood in there somewhere.

Why can’t Telles replace Shaw in a game that we have a 4 goal lead in? That game is irrelevant. It’s completely done. There isn’t a team we could put out that would lose 4-0.
I was talking about putting a B+ team against Liverpool, while preserving the best 11 for Roma. May be we have misunderstood here. 2 games in 2 days does mean taking a risk somewhere. We don't need to beat Liverpool as top 4 is more or less secured, just don't like losing to them. On the other hand, we must make absolutely sure that we get the job done in Rome. Telles is OK, but are you sure you want a shaky back 4? Initially we were in a perfect scenario, play your Best 9-10 on Sunday, rest 3 days then make 1-2 Sub in Rome. But if we do need to play 2 games in 2 days, something has to give.

Dan_F

I was talking about putting a B+ team against Liverpool, while preserving the best 11 for Roma. May be we have misunderstood here. 2 games in 2 days does mean taking a risk somewhere. We don't need to beat Liverpool as top 4 is more or less secured, just don't like losing to them. On the other hand, we must make absolutely sure that we get the job done in Rome. Telles is OK, but are you sure you want a shaky back 4? Initially we were in a perfect scenario, play your Best 9-10 on Sunday, rest 3 days then make 1-2 Sub in Rome. But if we do need to play 2 games in 2 days, something has to give.
We can play our second best player in every position and not lose 4-0 to Roma. I honestly have no idea why you’re worried. Roma have to go for it, which means masses of space for us on the counter.

Crustanoid

It I absolutely no argument to say: ‘United is a business and it’s sole purpose is to make money for the owners’. That is complete bullshit. It is like saying Stonehenge or the Grand Canyon should be taken into private ownership to make money for an individual and anyone who goes there is obliged to give their money to said individual in order to enjoy it, and also, the individual can choose to let them go to rack and ruin should they wish to. Our club needs to be taken off the collection of rectal filth who are currently profiting off it, by any means necessary.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Perfectly put. Those outside the stadium should be commended, sadly their actions were overshadowed by the mob who let their actions spill into criminality. I am all for protests but not when they go too far. And I hate the attitude that says 'there will always be those that take it too far but ... ' by way of almost condoning the idiotic actions of some protesters.