Fantasy Premier League 18/19

IrishRedDevil

Similar to my draft, I have Mane, Eriksen and Mkhi in midfield with Aguero up top. I have always been a fan of a cheaper defence to enable a good attack/midfield however that tactic caught up with me last season. Similarly to you I am banking on Salah not tearing it up, this really cost me last year. Kane has typically started recent seasons off quite slowly and as you say looked leggy at the World Cup.

I admire your optimism with Sanchez there too, would love to have him in but for 10m+ I feel you need guaranteed points, which he certainly isn't at this stage (would be delighted to be proved wrong!)
Care to share who your other strikers are?

I wanted Aubameyang but he has two tough fixtures to start with. I also wanted Lukaku but he will be rested for a few games. The beauty with Aguero is that he is the same cost as the other two, so I can cover City with him for now but then I can switch to one of the others when/if they start to perform. Or Aguero could smash it and stay in.

Let’s hope my faith in Sanchez is repaid handsomely. It is risky. My idea was to give him say 3 games since he had a rest and a full preseason, then if he wasn’t performing by then I’d probably downgrade him and use the funds to get Lukaku in. All just guesswork for now though.

Zaha/Tosen/Arnautovic all 7m is another lucky dip. So far settled on Zaha.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Here's my team for the first few weeks, hence having a shite bench:

Ederson
Alonso, Douglas, Cedric
Alexis, Mane, Eriksen, Cairney
Firminho, Aguero, Arnautovic

Subs: Norris, Mbemba, Kelly, Stephens

Thoughts?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Douglas seems very popular with a lot of people. Any particular reason?
I think Daniels is a decent option but he’s also a volatile FPL defender given Bournemouth’s defensive weaknesses, you’re really banking on some sort of offensive returns with Daniels. There’s a few good options at 4.5m but for me I slightly prefer Cedric as I think Southampton are a better side defensively.

As for Douglas he was one of the first names on my team sheet. Wolves play a proper 3-5-2 and Douglas is a very offensive wingback, with 14 assists last season which was the highest in the championship. He’s a certainty for my team at the start of the season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hardly a risk given the fact that Ederson out scored Fabianski by 1 point last season and Ryan by 12. You've got to factor in the save points which most top keepers (bar Dave) won't often get.

Anyway more importantly it frees you up to have 3 outfield players which was nigh on essential last season with City and I suspect will be so again with both them and Liverpool.

I've currently got a defence of Mendy, Robertson and Bailly so the last thing I want to do is double down on a keeper from one of them too.
You've persuaded me into looking at Patricio over Ederson. It means I can have a back 3 of Douglas Bailly and Robertson, and upgrade Mili to Mhki. And still have 0.5 left over to upgrade Bailly when the rotation starts. Very tempting.

Nickosaur

Going for a cheap team at first. Should have about 4/5m in the bank. Just in case Salah does start this season like he finished the last :nervous:

Team now is: Foster; Douglas, Coleman, Tomkins; Deulofeu, Sanchez, Ramsey, Jota, Cairney; Firmino, Auba.
Subs: Ederson, Tosun, Bamba, Wan-Bissaka.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Going for a cheap team at first. Should have about 4/5m in the bank. Just in case Salah does start this season like he finished the last :nervous:
That’s crazy!

Just get Salah man if you have the cash - he’s the standout captaincy option for the first week as well.

I wanted to buy Salah as I had him in my team last season but he's too damn expensive - £13mil. Surely they should be increasing the £100mil budget.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wanted to buy Salah as I had him in my team last season but he's too damn expensive - £13mil. Surely they should be increasing the £100mil budget.
It doesn’t work like that I’m afraid! Players who do well are priced up the next season!

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm sure Kane's price stayed the same he was around £12mil last season.
Yeah he was already expensive, did well and therefore is still expensive. Salah was way underpriced last season cos they obviously didn’t know how good he was going to be. Now they do know so they’ve priced him accordingly. It’s always more difficult to pick a team at the start until some bargains emerge. Let me know if you need any tips :cool:

Yeah he was already expensive, did well and therefore is still expensive. Salah was way underpriced last season cos they obviously didn’t know how good he was going to be. Now they do know so they’ve priced him accordingly. It’s always more difficult to pick a team at the start until some bargains emerge. Let me know if you need any tips :cool:
Oh ok thanks.

I initially put Kane in my team then I remembered he doesn't score in August so I replaced him with Firmino, what do you think? His price won't get any higher will it so I can always add him in later on?

Macern

Pee pee pants
Guys, I need serious help beating my friends.

Thoughts/improvements on this?

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Oh ok thanks.

I initially put Kane in my team then I remembered he doesn't score in August so I replaced him with Firmino, what do you think? His price won't get any higher will it so I can always add him in later on?
Yeah I’ve got Firmino as well. Agree re Kane...I think!

Sparky Rhiwabon

Oh ok thanks.

Oh re price....prices won’t change at all before the season starts. After that it’s based on transfers in and out - if lots of people transfer them in, the price starts going up and vice versa. So, say Kane starts week one and scores a hat trick, his price is sure to rise.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Assuming Mata is a bit of a punt for the first games based on the World Cup players being rested? As well as Shaw?
Looks quite good to me if so. Captain Sanchez is a risky one. Could pay off well, or could set you back if we start slow and Liverpool don't.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm sure Kane's price stayed the same he was around £12mil last season.
Think they're trying to make it more fun so it's not really viable to have both. Opens the game up a bit instead of everyone nailing down the must haves.

Oh re price....prices won’t change at all before the season starts. After that it’s based on transfers in and out - if lots of people transfer them in, the price starts going up and vice versa. So, say Kane starts week one and scores a hat trick, his price is sure to rise.
Ok thanks - I should have enough I've got 3mil left in the kitty.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Assuming Mata is a bit of a punt for the first games based on the World Cup players being rested? As well as Shaw?
Looks quite good to me if so. Captain Sanchez is a risky one. Could pay off well, or could set you back if we start slow and Liverpool don't.
Cheers. I changed my captain to Salah, not sure why I put it on Alexis. Shaw and Mata are just for the first couple of weeks yeah.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Cheers. I changed my captain to Salah, not sure why I put it on Alexis. Shaw and Mata are just for the first couple of weeks yeah.
Tip: generally avoid pre-planned transfers. Something else will inevitably come up, especially early in the season and cause you to take hits or an earlier than planned wildcard.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Tip: generally avoid pre-planned transfers. Something else will inevitably come up, especially early in the season and cause you to take hits or an earlier than planned wildcard.
I haven't been playing long enough to have been involved the last time an international tourney was on, but is it not a bit of a special case this time?
Could end up a nice little boost in points if it goes well, and most people wildcard quite early anyway don't they?

If anything, the thing that'd stop me is the potential for United to be absolutely shit and Jose to still somehow rotate.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I haven't been playing long enough to have been involved the last time an international tourney was on, but is it not a bit of a special case this time?
Could end up a nice little boost in points if it goes well, and most people wildcard quite early anyway don't they?

If anything, the thing that'd stop me is the potential for United to be absolutely shit and Jose to still somehow rotate.
Well, yeah players who went deep into the WC may get a weekend or two off but pretty soon players like that are going to be dropped or rotated. I’m just saying if you’re already “booking in” transfers, you could be asking for trouble. Just my opinion.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Good tip. I replaced Shaw and Mata with Maguire and Felipe Anderson. I’ll probably transfer out Maguire if/when we don’t sign him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Fantasy rule no. 1: Never play with your heart. Shaw (albeit a decent short term punt), San(c)hez, Mata and Sørloth are all picks you've made with your heart. If you want to win you've got to leave your bias out of it. This proves my point:

Good tip. I replaced Shaw and Mata with Maguire and Felipe Anderson. I’ll probably transfer out Maguire if/when we don’t sign him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well, yeah players who went deep into the WC may get a weekend or two off but pretty soon players like that are going to be dropped or rotated. I’m just saying if you’re already “booking in” transfers, you could be asking for trouble. Just my opinion.
Probably wise like. I'm possibly gonna punt for Shaw (don't think it's nailed even though Jose said he'll play) instead of Bailly but can't decide.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Think I'm off this game now. Did well last season and crushed my mini league but people haven't paid out yet. Left a soured taste.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Fantasy rule no. 1: Never play with your heart. Shaw (albeit a decent short term punt), San(c)hez, Mata and Sørloth are all picks you've made with your heart. If you want to win you've got to leave your bias out of it. This proves my point:
:annoyed: You’re right. I’ll let Maguire stay for now, I like to think that’s rational.

Thoughts?

MUFC OK

Just a tip from FPL experience, unless you don't mind WCing early on, don't price yourself out of move for big players, i.e. by having 1 expensive striker and 2 very cheap ones. It's not unfeasible for example that Aguero and Auba become must haves in addition to Salah after the first couple of weeks.

Save money on your defensive squad players as there are a lot of good cheap options - Douglas, Daniels, Tomkins, Bednarek, Cedric. Ill be rotating 3 of those for my 3rd CB spot. I'll also go for a second premium Mid up to 9.5m (Eriksen), who can be swapped for any in that bracket in one transfer - Sane, Mahrez, Alli, Mane. Also I try to cover as many of the big teams in defence and attack - currently have Ederson(GK), TAA/Shaw, Azpi and Aguero, Eriksen, Salah, Miki. That being my core with the rest coming from players with favourable fixtures.