Fantasy Premier League 19/20

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Who are we talking about here?
The leader of FPL that got disqualified. Some of the messages he sent in the WhatsApp group have come to light and they are terrible. He has deservedly been disqualified and had his team deleted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He hasn’t explained it because it’s pretty horrendous. Referring to black footballers by some names which I won’t repeat or even try to type out here. He has accepted it in a relaxed way as he has because there are no excuses for the things he was writing. He knows it and should get no sympathy.

Well done FPL for taking such swift and appropriate action.
He tried the "Suarez defence" of trying to make it a cultural thing.

Would be interesting to know who exactly is on that little FB group. He called them "friends", but is that literal, or like a lot of online types, is it more a group of people he doesn't actually know from Adam.

The latter would more explain them ratting him out, rather than an actual friend.
He also gave the impression that they all regularly chat like that. That's the more disturbing bit.

Maluco

He tried the "Suarez defence" of trying to make it a cultural thing.

Would be interesting to know who exactly is on that little FB group. He called them "friends", but is that literal, or like a lot of online types, is it more a group of people he doesn't actually know from Adam.

The latter would more explain them ratting him out, rather than an actual friend.
He also gave the impression that they all regularly chat like that. That's the more disturbing bit.
Yeah, you wonder who ratted him out and their motives. Was it rivalry or was the person genuinely intolerant to that sort of behavior.

His explanation and excuses not only confirm that he is indeed racist and doesn’t seem to realize it, but it suggests that it’s endemic. It’s the every day chat going on around groups all over Europe. “It’s just banter, he didn’t score In a game and my team suffered, call him a slur, it’s not like I was saying it to his face”

It’s a joke. That fact that it just slipped out between mates isn’t an excuse. It betrays a true attitude that you have, whether you admit it not not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, you wonder who ratted him out and their motives. Was it rivalry or was the person genuinely intolerant to that sort of behavior.

His explanation and excuses not only confirm that he is indeed racist and doesn’t seem to realize it, but it suggests that it’s endemic. It’s the every day chat going on around groups all over Europe. “It’s just banter, he didn’t score In a game and my team suffered, call him a slur, it’s not like I was saying it to his face”

It’s a joke. That fact that it just slipped out between mates isn’t an excuse. It betrays a true attitude that you have, whether you admit it not not.
The fact he's lived in England for a decade I think he said, and in his tweets admits he can't condone it to English people, totally wrecks his weak alibi that it's some sort of "cultural" thing.
Just bizarre all round.

Bet the Fantasy lot were really hoping he'd slip out of the top 3 in the last weekend, hence them taking ages to investigate it and finally rule on it.

Maybe slightly odd they're allowing him back in next year? But maybe losing the prize and being outed as a racist is enough punishment!
I think he should probably be quite relieved the police don't get involved.

Maluco

The fact he's lived in England for a decade I think he said, and in his tweets admits he can't condone it to English people, totally wrecks his weak alibi that it's some sort of "cultural" thing.
Just bizarre all round.

Bet the Fantasy lot were really hoping he'd slip out of the top 3 in the last weekend, hence them taking ages to investigate it and finally rule on it.

Maybe slightly odd they're allowing him back in next year? But maybe losing the prize and being outed as a racist is enough punishment!
I think he should probably be quite relieved the police don't get involved.
I think so too. I am a big believer in redemption and people learning and growing, but he doesn’t appear to be very remorseful or contemplative, just excusing himself with a variety of excuses, like you say, none of which excuse him of being racist.

I suppose if it makes people think about the stuff they are writing in these WhatsApp groups it’s some sort of victory. The attitude and feelings being it probably won’t change though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think so too. I am a big believer in redemption and people learning and growing, but he doesn’t appear to be very remorseful or contemplative, just excusing himself with a variety of excuses, like you say, none of which excuse him of being racist.

I suppose if it makes people think about the stuff they are writing in these WhatsApp groups it’s some sort of victory. The attitude and feelings being it probably won’t change though.
Yep - his whole demeanour was a strangely casual, "yeah, it was private, i don't go around chatting this in public, but the good news is i'm back next year"

erm...where's the apology, even if it's an insincere one!? Instead it was some twaddle about how he could have hoodwinked them that it was't his account, or it'd been falsified and all of this.
Bizarre.

Presumably with 10 years in England, and by the sound of his quite high fluency, it's not even any sort of language barrier thing either.

SteveTheRed

I thought it was a game of who got the most points on Fantasy Football?

I'm not condoning his behavior and what he said is racist. But he still won the game? It's not a competition of who gets the most points and is a nice person to boot.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

I'm not condoning his behavior and what he said is racist. But he still won the game? It's not a competition of who gets the most points and is a nice person to boot.
You don’t have to be nice, just not openly racially abuse people. There’s a bit of a distinction between the two. It’s not asking too much, surely?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Long answer - whilst I'm not a fan of using people's private comms against them, his 'friend' supposedly sent these comments directly to the PL so they really had no choice but to ban his account. As a PL partner the optics would've looked terrible for FPL by announcing the winner of their competition had made racist comments (whether that was out of character for him or not) especially since they are expected to conduct media interviews and do other press briefings that come with the top spot.

Short answer - If you read the terms and conditions they can do what the hell they want anyway so tough titties.

Like with people who moan about being banned from Twitter etc... they don't owe you anything as it's free at point of entry. If you got banned from it, you were likely being a twat so suck it up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Long answer - whilst I'm not a fan of using people's private comms against them, his 'friend' supposedly sent these comments directly to the PL so they really had no choice but to ban his account. As a PL partner the optics would've looked terrible for FPL by announcing the winner of their competition had made racist comments (whether that was out of character for him or not) especially since they are expected to conduct media interviews and do other press briefings that come with the top spot.

Short answer - If you read the terms and conditions they can do what the hell they want anyway so tough titties.

Like with people who moan about being banned from Twitter etc... they don't owe you anything as it's free at point of entry. If you got banned from it, you were likely being a twat so suck it up.
It would be interesting if say, the Lotto organisers got wind that someone was a bit of a wrong un, and held back millions of pounds.
You suspect there is no legal recourse to use someone's private douchery against them in such a way

However, I dare say noone has a problem with this guy getting a fairly major comeuppance.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It would be interesting if say, the Lotto organisers got wind that someone was a bit of a wrong un, and held back millions of pounds.
You suspect there is no legal recourse to use someone's private douchery against them in such a way

However, I dare say noone has a problem with this guy getting a fairly major comeuppance.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/millionaire-lotto-winner-is-a-convicted-rapist-887755

You're correct that there isn't (or wasn't) for the lottery.

Like I said this is an entirely different kettle of fish clearly covered by the terms and conditions you agree to before signing up to play.

Maluco

I just can’t get my head round it. You watch and support these players every week. They give you so much enjoyment and playing along is great fun.

To say “if I saw him in person, I would probably ask for an autograph”. Does he not get that Sterling would be disgusted with him as a person, and wouldn’t want to give him an autograph?

Like, the very people in the game you are playing, wouldn’t want to even look at you. It blows my mind and I’m glad he has been punished.

Holding back harsher punishments for racism is one of the biggest reasons it still plagues the sport.

ROFLUTION

I agree. As much as he probably is a massive bellend, he still won the game.

The bad reputation should be enough in itself, just strip him of the prizes he won, so he doesnt represent or is involved with FPL on an official level .

RashyForPM

Racism should always be punished. It’s horrible and should be eradicated from our sport. Right call any day of the week.

I must say though, what a snitch of a mate :lol: Of course it’s morally right to report it, but if I was this lad (thankfully I’m not, sounds a bellend), I’d rather a mate who lectures me but lets me off when it’s something this important.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Racism should always be punished. It’s horrible and should be eradicated from our sport. Right call any day of the week.

I must say though, what a snitch of a mate :lol: Of course it’s morally right to report it, but if I was this lad (thankfully I’m not, sounds a bellend), I’d rather a mate who lectures me but lets me off when it’s something this important.
He looks the type of bloke who only has online mates - probably randoms he's never met. That would explain it more.

The bit I can't get over, is that for any of us, we'd be mortified, utterly ashamed to have been outed for something like racism. It's a horrible stigma.

For him, he seems to have a really casual attitude as if England just makes a fuss of nothing, so he'll just shake it off.

RashyForPM

He looks the type of bloke who only has online mates - probably randoms he's never met. That would explain it more.

The bit I can't get over, is that for any of us, we'd be mortified, utterly ashamed to have been outed for something like racism. It's a horrible stigma.

For him, he seems to have a really casual attitude as if England just makes a fuss of nothing, so he'll just shake it off.
Just found that he is Bulgarian. Obviously just a minority and not the entire population, but the football racism problem is growing exponentially over there. See Rashy, Sterling, Rose etc when England played there. He’s one of those who thinks it’s fine.