Fantasy Premier League 21/22

Mcking

Why are people playing 4 and 5 defenders at the back?
The defenders usually look good for cheap on paper and that is it.

Take the likes of Shaw, Digne, Reguilon and Chilwell for example, attack minded, good crossers, on set-pieces, might play as wingbacks in what you'd expect to be a tighter Man Utd and Everton defences. Plenty sources for points and looks too good for less than 6.0m.

You stock up on them, allowing you to fund more premiums. The premiums deliver, but then everyone has them too. The good looking defenders return no more than 6 points every week, while the likes of Sarr and Buendia who were similar prices but didn't look quite as good get off to flying starts, scoring braces and double figure returns, and before you can find a way to hop on, you are already around the 2million rank.

There is a reason 343 and 352 are statistically the most successful formations in FPL. The less defenders the better. It is difficult to predict their returns.

Paul_Scholes18

The defenders usually look good for cheap on paper and that is it.

Take the likes of Shaw, Digne, Reguilon and Chilwell for example, attack minded, good crossers, on set-pieces, might play as wingbacks in what you'd expect to be a tighter Man Utd and Everton defences. Plenty sources for points and looks too good for less than 6.0m.

You stock up on them, allowing you to fund more premiums. The premiums deliver, but then everyone has them too. The good looking defenders return no more than 6 points every week, while the likes of Sarr and Buendia who were similar prices but didn't look quite as good get off to flying starts, scoring braces and double figure returns, and before you can find a way to hop on, you are already around the 2million rank.

There is a reason 343 and 352 are statistically the most successful formations in FPL. The less defenders the better. It is difficult to predict their returns.
I feel defenders was the source to my best ever start to a season 2018/2019 season. Just think there is great capacity in them and they can explode more than cheaper mids.

A strong def and I am talking extremly good took me to top 100 after 8 gameweeks. I mostly played 4 defenders.
Had 5 from Robertson, TAA, Alonso, Mendy(City), R Pereira, Ben Davies (he failed as the only one),Shaw, Trippier, Doherty, Wan Bissaka and often played 4 from them and one time even 5 due to injuries.
Apart from Wan Bissaka they are all very attacking defenders playing for sides with clean sheet potential. Doherty was a punt that worked too. I got one of his haul from the bench when Mendy got injured so I had luck
with both Wan Bisska and him getting returns from the bench for me.

I got these guys for cheap so maybe we will never see the same value. Only Alonso was 7 million I think and all of them got attacking returns and clean sheets apart from Davies.
TAA was just 5 then it was his first brilliant season.

I think this year got some capacity like then to be good for defenders, but not as many good ones. There is no 4.0 like Wan Bissaka and 4.5 like Doherty I think. 5 as good as TAA no way as well.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That’s my biggest dilemma. I want Trent but not sure if the downgrade to Grealish is worth it.
My team if it helps:

Sanchez
Shaw, TAA, Coufal
Salah, Bruno, Raphinha, Buendia
DCL, Iheanacho, Toney

Subs: Foster, Aarons, Ayling, Gilmour

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
My team if it helps:

Sanchez
Shaw, TAA, Coufal
DCL, Iheanacho, Toney

Two things with Buendia - first year with a new team. And no guarantee he starts every game with the likes of El Ghazi and Traore still there. They are also in talks for Bailey. Not the case with Grealish. He is club captain and he starts every game. Plus he takes penalties if El Ghazi isn’t on the pitch. So can Buendia + TAA outscore Grealish + Shaw cause that is who I would upgrade to Trent if I downgrade Grealish.

Paul_Scholes18

My team if it helps:

Sanchez
Shaw, TAA, Coufal
DCL, Iheanacho, Toney

My feeling is that Moyes wants to be pretty attacking and Everton more defensive under Benitez.

Thus Digne plus Antonio might be better than Coufal and DCL. I like all 4 picks though.

The risk with Antonios fitness is pretty big though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Two things with Buendia - first year with a new team. And no guarantee he starts every game with the likes of El Ghazi and Traore still there. They are also in talks for Bailey. Not the case with Grealish. He is club captain and he starts every game. Plus he takes penalties if El Ghazi isn’t on the pitch. So can Buendia + TAA outscore Grealish + Shaw cause that is who I would upgrade to Trent if I downgrade Grealish.
It is a new team but his price was mega high and I think he'll start ahead of El Greedy (who only got a string of starts due to Grealish injury) and Traore. But I think he will get subbed a fair bit for one of these two.

Villa are linked with Bailey but Grealish is also linked with City. I usually don't look into links too much until it's near certain. Grealish doesn't take pens, didn't take a single one in the league. It will be El Ghazi or Watkins.

With all that said, I agree that he is a slight punt and I'm always willing to take one punt in my team.

Also, why would you be taking out Shaw? Surely Digne is the better option to replace? Digne completely relies on attacking returns as Everton can't keep a clean sheet for shit. Benitez is known to play defensive but then that could affect Digne attacking returns. With Varane coming to United plus Shaw seems to currently be on steroids, he is much better option long term. Unless you are only thinking about the first 5-6 weeks, in which case I kind of get your decision.

To answer your final question, Buendia + TAA Vs Shaw + Grealish, it's tough. Liverpool have the best run in for the opening 6 and TAA gives a lot of flexibility. But ultimately, up to you mate.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
My feeling is that Moyes wants to be pretty attacking and Everton more defensive under Benitez.

Thus Digne plus Antonio might be better than Coufal and DCL. I like all 4 picks though.

The risk with Antonios fitness is pretty big though.
I agree with that. I'm not cert on this setup. I may drop DCL for Antonio or Watkins. That leaves me with 1m spare. Can easily do Coufal to Cancelo if I wanted. I might do that.

thedvil

Ederson
Shaw, TAA, Robertson, Courful
Foden, Bruno, ,Grealish, Mount
Watkins, Toney

Subs: Balcombe, Raphinha, White, Mebude

Going for both Liverpool fullbacks over Salah, Combined they scored 320 Vs Salah 231 and Trent had a weak season by his standards so is capabe of higher points, freeing the mid spot allows me have a mids from City,Chelsea,United and Grealish.

Make sense or crazy talk?

Paul_Scholes18

I agree with that. I'm not cert on this setup. I may drop DCL for Antonio or Watkins. That leaves me with 1m spare. Can easily do Coufal to Cancelo if I wanted. I might do that.
Yeah I am thinking a bit about Bowen, Barnes, Nacho and Antonio. A lot depend on who plays the most.
I think Antonio is most nailed right now, but his fitness is a problem and once Europe start I do not trust him playing every game.

Bowen will probably get minutes every game, but maybe not start so think he could be annoying.

Leicester might rotate around europe too. Thus if we assume Vardy plays in the league then the other can rotate.

I think Barnes and Nacho could both be first choice, but there is a risk they rotate with each other and Daka/Maddison around europe.

Although they might just play with pure B-squad in europe and same 11 every week in PL. Problem is predicting what is A/B and if they going to have some players that rotate.

Just checked it out and Barnes last season did rotate around Europe. After that he started every game pretty much and before Europe started every game.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Cost £38m, he’ll play. Grealish doesn’t take pens.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
#ratemysquad
I really like your team. Just by having Sancho instead of Bruno you’ve been able to make your team well balanced.

But that’s where I tend to get confused. Bruno with his penalties is a major key.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think I have what I want:

Sanchez
TAA Robertson Digne Shaw (Ayling)
Salah Sancho Grealish Raphinha (Smith Rowe)
Watkins Wilson (Obafemi)

Only one fodder, strong midfield, extremely strong defence, but also clear cut player that I will want to keep on bench most weeks. Robertson and TAA are usually quite good assets and I feel good doubling up on them early on as they will also allow me an easy upgrade later on in other positions should I decide to ditch either of them.

Wilson/Watkins can easily be moved to a combo of Toney, Iheanacho, DCL etc.

I’m not fully convinced I want Grealish though. Going to Buendia would allow me to grab Reguilon… or I can swap Grealish out for Havertz by downgrading elsewhere.

mohr

Sierralta is a starter for Watford. He did very well last year as a wing back. Him or Aarons is going to be my backup defender and they are both nailed on to start. Sancho I want to keep until we get Rashford and then I downgrade him to get a better striker.

As for the HD part I have no clue. Haha.
Ah, haven't heard Sierralta before. Do you think he will score more than the other 4.5m def like the BHA and BUR defenders / Ayling / Coady / Holding?

Thanks for the info! nice article to be considered

Thoughts?

Cheapen 4 players (3 not in first XI) to get Kane.

It's basically will Digne/St Maxim/Kane be better than Dias/Watkins/Antonio?

Ederson Fabianski
Konate Shaw Dias Digne White
Mbuemo Buendia Harrison Bruno Havertz
Watkins Antonio Jesus

Or,

Ederson Ward
Konate Shaw Digne White Manquilo
Bruno Havertz Harrison Buendia Bissouma
St Maxim Jesus Kane

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Ah, haven't heard Sierralta before. Do you think he will score more than the other 4.5m def like the BHA and BUR defenders / Ayling / Coady / Holding?
Provided Watford can attack I think he has potential. We just have to wait to see how he transfers from the Championship to the Premier league. If he does then he will outscore the defenders you listed especially since Coady and Holding are central defenders. Ayling IMO is overrated by FPL managers. He had an entire year in that good Leeds attack and didn’t register a single assist or goal.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Provided Watford can attack I think he has potential. We just have to wait to see how he transfers from the Championship to the Premier league. If he does then he will outscore the defenders you listed especially since Coady and Holding are central defenders. Ayling IMO is overrated by FPL managers. He had an entire year in that good Leeds attack and didn’t register a single assist or goal.
I don't think that's quite fair on Ayling.

He had plenty of shots in the box that were very close.
He assisted Bamford plenty of times, who happened to miss the shots. I think even in the first game he set Bamford up for a tap in and Bamford missed.
He also scored (and took off his ponytail!) but I think his toenail was offside.
He also played large chunks of the season at CB due to injuries to other players.

Ayling isn't going to be Dallas but he is a 4.5 defender who is guaranteed to play and if he is moved back to his favoured RWB position, he should be able to get better returns.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just looking through the mid priced attackers and they feel as much of a trap as the 4.5 defenders!

Iheanacho - Not guaranteed 90 minutes with Vardy and that new lad, plus he wasn't usually starting when Barnes played so his minutes are definitely not guaranteed.
Antonio - Brilliant player but made of glass.
Watkins - Misser of chances and the fixtures turn horrible after the first 3 games.
DCL - Costs slightly more than the rest and Benitez is known to play defensive. He also goes through long spells without attacking contributions as he doesn't assist often and not on pens.
Wilson - Troll.
Jiminez - Who knows how he will look after that unfortunate injury last season.
Bamford - Started seeing rotation at the back end of last year, slightly more expensive and Raphinha is the better value route into the Leeds attack.

I'm currently on Iheanacho and Antonio and can easily foresee weeks where one Antonio gets injured and Iheanacho only gets 60 minutes...

Just looking through the mid priced attackers and they feel as much of a trap as the 4.5 defenders!

Iheanacho - Not guaranteed 90 minutes with Vardy and that new lad, plus he wasn't usually starting when Barnes played so his minutes are definitely not guaranteed.
Antonio - Brilliant player but made of glass.
Watkins - Misser of chances and the fixtures turn horrible after the first 3 games.
DCL - Costs slightly more than the rest and Benitez is known to play defensive. He also goes through long spells without attacking contributions as he doesn't assist often and not on pens.
Wilson - Troll.
Jiminez - Who knows how he will look after that unfortunate injury last season.
Bamford - Started seeing rotation at the back end of last year, slightly more expensive and Raphinha is the better value route into the Leeds attack.

I'm currently on Iheanacho and Antonio and can easily foresee weeks where one Antonio gets injured and Iheanacho only gets 60 minutes...
For Bamford, couldn’t you just have put “lads… it’s Bamford”?

JakeTheRed

Ederson
Watkins, Toney

Going for both Liverpool fullbacks over Salah, Combined they scored 320 Vs Salah 231 and Trent had a weak season by his standards so is capabe of higher points, freeing the mid spot allows me have a mids from City,Chelsea,United and Grealish.

It's crazy talk. I'll tell you why. You pretty much have one captain in that team, be it Bruno. Let's say he has a difficult fixture you don't fancy him as captain, then what? You're going to rely on a defender? Watkins? Foden who could be on the bench from Pep rotation roulette? You need at least two premium players. Bruno & Salah are absolutely nailed in my head.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I know you CAN have all 3 (though rest of squad suffers) but if you could choose 2 out of Bruno, Salah and Kane, which two and why?
For know it's 100% Bruno and Salah.

Kane may miss the first game (at least) and new manager and might be transferring out... too many questions for that price. Bruno and Salah will both play every second of every match.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know you CAN have all 3 (though rest of squad suffers) but if you could choose 2 out of Bruno, Salah and Kane, which two and why?
Right now Salah would be the #1 choice as he's the obvious GW1 captain against Norwich and has Burnley, Leeds, Palace and Brentford in the first six too. He is also already back in pre-season.

Of the other two I would currently opt for Bruno. Kane was at the Euros longer than Bruno so will presumably be later coming back and starting his pre-season, so may not be ready for GW1. And even if he is, at Spurs he has the hardest possible fixture in GW1 under an entirely new manager, with transfer doubts over his future. And even if he's going to City, I can't imagine Spurs will let the transfer go through before that game, pitting themselves against him immediately. Whereas Bruno should be settled and ready to go from the start.

podurban2

Ederson
Watkins, Toney

You def need Salah. I’m going TAA, Robertson, Bruno and Salah.

thedvil

It's crazy talk. I'll tell you why. You pretty much have one captain in that team, be it Bruno. Let's say he has a difficult fixture you don't fancy him as captain, then what? You're going to rely on a defender? Watkins? Foden who could be on the bench from Pep rotation roulette? You need at least two premium players. Bruno & Salah are absolutely nailed in my head.
I needed that. Salah back on the table.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think anyone going in to the first games with no real bench options is going to drop points immediately. There will be players given extended leave who just aren’t in the squad and you could well find yourself with 7-8 starters and no one to come in.

I think the first fixtures need at least two decent bench options to cover for that.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think anyone going in to the first games with no real bench options is going to drop points immediately. There will be players given extended leave who just aren’t in the squad and you could well find yourself with 7-8 starters and no one to come in.

I think the first fixtures need at least two decent bench options to cover for that.
Yep. That's why I'll be on 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 as a formation. Nobody looks like starting up front for £4.5m but there's potentially plenty of £4.5m starters in defence and midfield.

The debate for me at the moment is whether I want Robertson and Trent or just Trent. Unless someone has a break through season there probably aren't any £7m midfielders who will outscore Robertson but that's obviously over a full season and we all know the real skill is jumping on and off the players on hot streaks. Having Robertson doesn't give me the flexibility to jump on this seasons Jesse Lingard for example.

Tricky one.

Paul_Scholes18

Which is why maybe we shall all go without Kane, Chilwell, Shaw, Sancho?

Wan Bissaka, Greenwood?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think Bissouma and White are value enablers this season. White should do a little better at Arsenal while starting every game and he’s as cheap as chips. Bissouma allows for another premium player and he’ll be a starter wherever he ends up. He could very well get snapped up by someone like Liverpool this season to replace Gini. Just hoping for both to get to around 100 pts and let the primos do the heavy lifting…

I think this is my final draft

Martinez (foster)
Robertson White TAA (ait nouri, Omobamidele who has been playing a lot of minutes for Norwich in preseason @4million)
Bowen (change to Raphinha or Harrison once fixtures improve) Bruno, Salah, Buendia, Bissouma
Watkins, DCL(or Bamford) Joao Pedro

Last edited:

Awla

Martinez Virginia
Dias Shaw Chilwell Manquilo Coady
Raphinha Bruno Grealish Saka Bissouma
Kane Bamford Toney

Going with the 3-4-3 formation. Not sure about Saka though.