Fantasy Premier League 21/22

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Definitely not worth the hassle if they got 2 x Mahrez now!

Jokes aside, there'll always be some City player who's worth it. Dias / Gundogan last season, KdB, Aguero in some seasons.

Hearinh Laporte wants away, so tempted by Stones myself.
I agree but again, it’s so unpredictable.

Dias impact was a surprise and Gundogan only got the numbers because he was played in his best position in KdB’s absence, who himself seems to have more and more fitness concerns.

I think Jesus is pants and it probably luck to be at City, and without a clear option up top, any one of about 5 players could play up there as a false nine.

I think you are right about Stones though. If Laporte really does want out, he makes the most sense out of anyone for consistency of selection and his occasional goal threat

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Buth decent players with proven PL records roo, and take pens.
Yeah, I like the idea. My only concern would be always picking the wrong one and selecting the fella who gets 10 mInutes at the end! Or a third party coming from nowhere and limiting their minutes.

Deeney is captain though and was never the most mobile, and with him being in pens, it could be a great choice.

ROFLUTION

I agree but again, it’s so unpredictable.

Dias impact was a surprise and Gundogan only got the numbers because he was played in his best position in KdB’s absence, who himself seems to have more and more fitness concerns.

I think Jesus is pants and it probably luck to be at City, and without a clear option up top, any one of about 5 players could play up there as a false nine.

I think you are right about Stones though. If Laporte really does want out, he makes the most sense out of anyone for consistency of selection and his occasional goal threat
They are. Up top could even be Ferran, so if he hits off, who knows, value might be there again. Pep rotates, but in form players or vital players always get played by Pep I believe. KdB for instance. Or Sterling when he was talismanic. Gundogan and Dias were those two last year. Maybe it's about seeing them out, before choosing

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
That bench is still pretty poor isn't it?! Or is it just me?
For me, you need a playing bench. Even if there are 2 point merchants.
Brownhill plays quite a lot for Burnley. I could always switch him for Bissouma or Gilmour. That guarantees 2 points. Also I have 4 premiums and it’s easy to switch them out if they are injured. Otherwise all these players will play weeks 1-6 since they are all starters. But who knows I will switch these players out tonight and go back to 3 at the back.

RDCR07

Not bad, although I don't believe in Raphinha or DCL/Digne from the beginning.

No City players? Going without them entirely?
For now yes. My plan is to change teams after week 6 and bring in City and Spurs players.

Mcking

Can someone help me with this thoughts I'm having?

From my times playing this game I'm seeing the consensus that most people like to use 343.
But I've been wondering why no more people using 442, because for me I prefer to spend money on 4th defender than 3rd attacker.

I'll try to compare between the popular 7.0-7.5m Forward and 5.5-6.0m Defender and their historical point from past seasons

Forwards
Wood - 138/136/131pts
Adams - 137pts
Wilson - 134/116/168pts
Richarlison - 123/165/153/125pts (Playing as mid before last season)
Antonio - 118/11/118pts
Iheanacho - 110pts
Watkins - 168pts
Jimenez - 43/194/181pts (Injured last season)

Defenders
AWB - 144/127/120 pts
Maguire - 124/123/92/117 pts
Shaw - 124 pts (seems to always injured the seasons before so only got little minutes)
Dias - 142pts
Cancelo - 138 pts
Digne - 120/120/158 pts
Azpi - 113/130/158/175/170/124/132/109/100 pts (I think the most consistent one)
Chilwell - 139/114/118 pts

As you can see, I think generally both will get similar 120-140pts. Even though FWD have much higher ceiling, but I think not many will have season like Bamford, Watkins, or Jimenez debut where they exceed our expectation.

So instead getting 7/7.5m FWD and 4.5m DEF, isn't it better to get 5.5/6m DEF+ 4.5m bench fodder FWD?
You can use the extra 1-2 mil for boosting other position. Or even picking TAA/Robertson/Van Dijk who have been getting 160+ points for the past 3 seasons.

I think the downside of picking the extra defender is you basically only have 2 outfield bench because currently there are no playing 4.5m FWD. But that also be mitigated by upgrading into 5.5m FWD.
It doesn't work like that, there is a reason 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 are the most successful formations in the game.

One thing you didn't consider in your comparison is their respective minutes, and apart from that, it is much easier to predict attacker's returns. For defenders, you have to hold them for the long-term because they can easily return attacking returns against any team as well as cleansheets against the big teams or when you least expect them.

For attackers though, you can try to take advantage of form and fixtures, transferring in inform players, jumping on bandwagons and maximizing your points from each player in your squad. With luck, you could be looking at upto 200 points from your cheapest striker, a number you are unlikely to get from a defender.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Completely.
And there's some good choices of 4.5m defenders this season too. White, Coady etc.

I think what puts me off the 4 strong defenders route, aside from me always going in with too much money in defence and regretting it, is that those cleanies can go easily. Whereas if you have 3 strikers there's always a chance of a goal or assist.

If you go in with 2 strikers, especially mid value ones, all it takes is for one to have a tough fixture, and the other one to have a bad day, and you suddenly have zero from your whole attack.

I think a different question, is the Liverpool 7m men versus equivalent midfielders. They're big value in that comparison. IF they have a season like 2 seasons ago. Not last year, when conceding almost every game.
I think of it as: A defender can ruin your points within 2 minutes of the match starting or with the last kick of the game. A striker can be doing a Werner impersonation yet salvage it with the last kick of the game.

Of course defenders can score/assist but that much more unlikely unless we're talking TAA.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think of it as: A defender can ruin your points within 2 minutes of the match starting or with the last luck of the game. A stronger can be doing a Werner impersonation yet salvage it with the last luck of the game.

Of course defenders can score/assist but that much more unlikely unless we're talking TAA.
That's it.
A Liverpool last min goal conceded is a killer if you have TAA and Robertson, especially if both were on bonus points before hand.

Although that should be a golden rule. Never look at the live bonus points for your defenders before the final whistle!

Adcuth

I'm not using one city player this year. Sick of pep and his rotation

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wouldn't be overly concerned with the differences between the main formations like 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, etc. As I recall from the statistical analysis I've seen, the difference is negligible when compared to other factors.

Even more so when you consider how many people will wildcard within relatively few weeks, thus reducing the time period over which their initial formation selection can even have an impact.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'm not using one city player this year. Sick of pep and his rotation
I'm not either. I can't handle the Pep roulette. The only player in interested in from them is Cancelo.
Same. Plus City have tough schedule. My plan is to put 3 City/Chelsea players in gw8 (when our bad run of games starts and City will have easy run).
Btw, nobody is talking about Young. He could be great pick. Villa defence, he will have some assists, goals...

MikkelM

Supports
Denmark
Hi folks.
New to this board, but followed the action from the sidelines for some time. Thanks for some really good input in this thread.

My team at the moment:

GK: Alisson, Foster
DEF: Cancelo, Shaw, Digne, Fofana, White
MID: Salah, Sancho, Buendia, Raphina, Smith-Rowe
ATT: Calwert-Levin, Werner, Toney

Happy with the overall look, but especially Werner and Smith-Rowe are long shots and who knows if Sancho will hit the ground running. For some reason I think Werner will be the goal scoring surprice of the season.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This morning's draft. No United (think Leeds might upset us tbh)

Bachman / Foster
TAA / Digne / Chilwell (White) (Ayling)
Salah (c) / Havertz / Mahrez / Sarr (Brownhill)
Antonio / DCL / Watkins

My current feeling is everyone will be captaining Salah gw1 anyway (and probably the first few tbh) so not having Bruno allows you to get a few differtials in and potentially steal a march on the herd. Will be watching our game and keeping a close eye on Greenwood and Sancho if they're playing as a possible early move from Mahrez/Havertz though.

Think Mahrez will start the season for City being as he's featuring in all the pre season games and I want to captain a City player in gw2.

Gee Male

I think I'm landing on:

Sanchez
TAA, Robertson, Shaw, White
Salah, Sancho, Buendia
Cavani, DCL, Toney

Subs - Foster, Dier, Raphinha, Bissouma

I think I'm relatively happy with that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hi folks.
New to this board, but followed the action from the sidelines for some time. Thanks for some really good input in this thread.

My team at the moment:

GK: Alisson, Foster
DEF: Cancelo, Shaw, Digne, Fofana, White
MID: Salah, Sancho, Buendia, Raphina, Smith-Rowe
ATT: Calwert-Levin, Werner, Toney

Happy with the overall look, but especially Werner and Smith-Rowe are long shots and who knows if Sancho will hit the ground running. For some reason I think Werner will be the goal scoring surprice of the season.
If you have faith in Werner then fair enough but I would wait until their difficult fixture run is over. It also gives you a bit of time to inspect.

mohr

It doesn't work like that, there is a reason 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 are the most successful formations in the game.

One thing you didn't consider in your comparison is their respective minutes, and apart from that, it is much easier to predict attacker's returns. For defenders, you have to hold them for the long-term because they can easily return attacking returns against any team as well as cleansheets against the big teams or when you least expect them.

For attackers though, you can try to take advantage of form and fixtures, transferring in inform players, jumping on bandwagons and maximizing your points from each player in your squad. With luck, you could be looking at upto 200 points from your cheapest striker, a number you are unlikely to get from a defender.
Well, how many cheap striker can get you 200 points in the past seasons? I can only find Bamford, Jimenez, and Ings who started cheap but reaching 180+ points, and none of them reaching 200. And if someone showing the potential and consistency to be that cheap striker isn't he gonna be your definite 1st or 2nd striker choice instead of 3rd?

For the taking advantage of form and fixtures can't you also do that with defenders? There are a lot of statistics of clean sheet potential, so you now which teams will have good defensive fixtures.

I'm just saying instead of taking a punt on 3rd cheap striker, isn't it better to get a 4th defender and get extra money to spread?

On the bolded part, yes I hear about it a lot. But are there any info or source that have checked past top player's choice regarding this. Really interested to know more about it

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Damn, seems to me that i am going into the season without Bruno after all. Sancho, Buendia and Chilwell will get me more than Bruno, Rowe and Fofana i think.

Anyway, i am locking my team. Enough!! :lol:

Martinez
Chilwell, Shaw, TAA
Buendia, Salah, Sancho, Raphinha
Cavani, Toney, Watkins
Subs: Sanchez, Gilmour, White, Ayling.

Edit: But if Kane goes in City then Sancho and Cavani go out

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Well, how many cheap striker can get you 200 points in the past seasons? I can only find Bamford, Jimenez, and Ings who started cheap but reaching 180+ points, and none of them reaching 200. And if someone showing the potential and consistency to be that cheap striker isn't he gonna be your definite 1st or 2nd striker choice instead of 3rd?

For the taking advantage of form and fixtures can't you also do that with defenders? There are a lot of statistics of clean sheet potential, so you now which teams will have good defensive fixtures.

I'm just saying instead of taking a punt on 3rd cheap striker, isn't it better to get a 4th defender and get extra money to spread?

On the bolded part, yes I hear about it a lot. But are there any info or source that have checked past top player's choice regarding this. Really interested to know more about it
It's not that simple. Sure, if you set up your team and just set and forget a defender vs a mid priced striker, you can get more points. I'm sure over the season, A Digne can outscore a Toney.

But when you're actually playing the game properly, that's not how it works.

Let's say you set and forget Robertson and he gets 170 (the average between the last two seasons), that would be more than the set and forget of Watkins, who got 168 last season.

But in reality, you won't hold Watkins through the season. If you plan properly (and with a bit of luck of course), you can own Watkins for a nice run and then switch to lets say Iheanacho for a nice run that might start as Watkins' favourable fixtures end.

Now of course, you can try this with defenders too but it's much more difficult to predict their returns, mainly because their bread and butter is clean sheets so you need to hold them for much longer to get that high score.

Not sure if I have written this properly or if it make sense, sorry, on the phone!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's not that simple. Sure, if you set up your team and just set and forget a defender vs a mid priced striker, you can get more points. I'm sure over the season, A Digne can outscore a Toney.

But when you're actually playing the game properly, that's not how it works.

Let's say you set and forget Robertson and he gets 170 (the average between the last two seasons), that would be more than the set and forget of Watkins, who got 168 last season.

But in reality, you won't hold Watkins through the season. If you plan properly (and with a bit of luck of course), you can own Watkins for a nice run and then switch to lets say Iheanacho for a nice run that might start as Watkins' favourable fixtures end.

Now of course, you can try this with defenders too but it's much more difficult to predict their returns, mainly because their bread and butter is clean sheets so you need to hold them for much longer to get that high score.

Not sure if I have written this properly or if it make sense, sorry, on the phone!
I think what they’re getting at [or how I’m taking it anyway] is that there is good value in defenders and while 352 has been de riguer in the past, don’t have to have shit for your 4th and 5th defenders. Especially when an extra £m on said 4th/5th defender will (should) give you a bigger points boost that spending that same £m on a 5th midfielder or a 3rd forward.

£4m to £5m in terms of defenders is big, £4.5m to £5.5m is huge (potentially 50, 60 more?). But maybe doesn’t have same impact on 5th MF or 3rd forward.

And he/she could start off 442 and change team/formation when impact of some Mf/forwards are clearer?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think what they’re getting at [or how I’m taking it anyway] is that there is good value in defenders and while 352 has been de riguer in the past, don’t have to have shit for your 4th and 5th defenders. Especially when an extra £m on said 4th/5th defender will (should) give you a bigger points boost that spending that same £m on a 5th midfielder or a 3rd forward.

£4m to £5m in terms of defenders is big, £4.5m to £5.5m is huge (potentially 50, 60 more?). But maybe doesn’t have same impact on 5th MF or 3rd forward.

And he/she could start off 442 and change team/formation when impact of some Mf/forwards are clearer?
But you can also say that having a £4.5m striker gives you little to no flexibility later (without making multiple changes) as there are no realistic playing forwards until you get to 6 (and even then, there's not much there). You're having to move up £1.5m just to get to the bottom-of-the-barrel strikers.

But with cheap defenders, there's a lot you can do. There's great value at £4.5, which allows you to have a more rounded team.

This obviously is taking into consideration that you may fancy a formation change later down the line (or if we see that strikers are scoring whilst defenders are conceding).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
But you can also say that having a £4.5m striker gives you little to no flexibility later (without making multiple changes) as there are no realistic playing forwards until you get to 6 (and even then, there's not much there). You're having to move up £1.5m just to get to the bottom-of-the-barrel strikers.

But with cheap defenders, there's a lot you can do. There's great value at £4.5, which allows you to have a more rounded team.

This obviously is taking into consideration that you may fancy a formation change later down the line (or if we see that strikers are scoring whilst defenders are conceding).
tbc. I’m not disagreeing :) just commenting on what I THOUGHT poster was saying was their rationale for how they distribute funds.

What you’ve just said (about ease of future transfers) is one of your reasons (agree) and a rationale for an alternative tactic rather than “352/343 is the right way”.

I learned a lot on this thread last season (hence going from 4millionth at Christmas to 70k by season end) because people (incl you) explained the WHY to me.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
tbc. I’m not disagreeing :) just commenting on what I THOUGHT poster was saying was their rationale for how they distribute funds.

What you’ve just said (about ease of future transfers) is one of your reasons (agree) and a rationale for an alternative tactic rather than “352/343 is the right way”.

I learned a lot on this thread last season (hence going from 4millionth at Christmas to 70k by season end) because people (incl you) explained the WHY to me.
That's why I love this thread. We all talk deep tactics and thought out plans. Then we all smash that wildcard button week 2 because we want Moutinho, Pepe and Pulisic because they scored GW1 :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is there a league for the fantasy football? If so what is the code to join it please?

lulu

Supports
Argentina
Which team do you support? Maybe we can go to bongdalu to watch their game?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've gone with Greenwood instead of Sancho for now. With Rashford injured and Martial out of favour they should probably have very similar roles at the beginning. My team now:

Sanchez
TAA Shaw Digne Tierney Ayling
Salah Jota Greenwood Buendia Raphinha
Watkins Toney Antonio

With 1.5m in the bank. Very tempted to go after Cavani but he will be yet another rotation risk after Jota and Greenwood... Could upgrade goalkeeper or Ayling but the team is deep enough already so I may as well keep 1.5m for flexibility (and go for Grealish if he stays). Mahrez is another one I quite like, ditto Cancelo and Stones...

RDCR07

I've gone with Greenwood instead of Sancho for now. With Rashford injured and Martial out of favour they should probably have very similar roles at the beginning. My team now:

Sanchez
TAA Shaw Digne Tierney Ayling
Salah Jota Greenwood Buendia Raphinha
Watkins Toney Antonio

With 1.5m in the bank. Very tempted to go after Cavani but he will be yet another rotation risk after Jota and Greenwood... Could upgrade goalkeeper or Ayling but the team is deep enough already so I may as well keep 1.5m for flexibility (and go for Grealish if he stays). Mahrez is another one I quite like, ditto Cancelo and Stones...
You might want to think of an exit strategy for your Villa assets after week 3.

El-Manos

My fantasy name (last season) is: Gylfi pleasures… I guess I’ll need to change that now :lol: