Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

I've heard so much about this. Nearly started this myself a month ago before I got sidetracked into other books. Let me know how this goes.
Finished Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish.

I don't have enough words to describe how completely different this book is from the traditional cultivation stories I've read so far by Er Gen and IET. At least as absorbing as the best from Er Gen or IET, and much much more complex. It blew me away.

A couple of important things to note. First, I found the start very very slow, in part because we are introduced to a new world and learn the rules of this world along with the MC, and in part because it is so different from the straightforward cultivation stories I'm used to. When you start it, I'll urge that you ignore the slow start and push on. Second, LotM is only part one of a wider trilogy, according to the author. The second book in the series, Circle of Inevitability, is being serialized at the moment, 325 chapters out. I intend to wait for the end of CoI before binging it.

Last edited:

mitChley

Reading the latest Red Rising release and while it's fun, it's exactly the same flaws and plots as every other book in the series. Good guys attack, it's a trap, they eventually escape. Thickest plot armour I've ever seen.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Finished Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish.

I don't have enough words to describe how completely different this book is from the traditional cultivation stories I've read so far by Er Gen and IET. At least as absorbing as the best from Er Gen or IET, and much much more complex. It blew me away.

A couple of important things to note. First, I found the start very very slow, in part because we are introduced to a new world and learn the rules of this world along with the MC, and in part because it is so different from the straightforward cultivation stories I'm used to. When you start it, I'll urge that you ignore the slow start and push on. Second, LotM is only part one of a wider trilogy, according to the author. The second book in the series, Circle of Inevitability, is being serialized at the moment, 325 chapters out. I intend to wait for the end of CoI before binging it.
Is this not a completed series?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I just randomly picked up a book based on the blurb.

Worst Knights Ever

It's autumn 2001, and a fire-breathing dragon is destroying London.

With most of her military overseas, the Queen decides to do what previous Queens would've done and call in her Knights! The only problem is that the Queen has only knighted celebrities. This is the story of the four brave knights who heed their country’s call: Sir Michael Caine, Sir Elton John, Sir Anthony Hopkins, and Sir Sean Connery.

Hopefully it's as funny as the blurb sounds :lol:

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I just randomly picked up a book based on the blurb.

Worst Knights Ever

It's autumn 2001, and a fire-breathing dragon is destroying London.

With most of her military overseas, the Queen decides to do what previous Queens would've done and call in her Knights! The only problem is that the Queen has only knighted celebrities. This is the story of the four brave knights who heed their country’s call: Sir Michael Caine, Sir Elton John, Sir Anthony Hopkins, and Sir Sean Connery.

Hopefully it's as funny as the blurb sounds :lol:
That sounds hilarious :lol:

DMacgraw

Is this not a completed series?
Lord of the Mysteries is a completed story in itself (1432 chapters!). However, the story picks up in the second series with a new set of characters, and with the main cast from the first series making occasional appearances so far. According to Cuttlefish, the main cast's appearances would increase significantly in Volume 6 of the second series and take the story to series 3.

DMacgraw

Finished Archean Eon Art. Not as good as IET's other novels, but I did enjoy it. The cultivation system is not as straightforward, with a bit more convoluted progression elements.

DMacgraw

Finished Solo Leveling. I didn't realize before I started that it is LitRPG not cultivation. Still, the story was pretty straightforward and action-packed, though I wasn't particularly thrilled by the alternate storyline to end the novel.

Started Reverent Insanity.

mitChley

Finished the Cradle series. Didn't know much about Will Eight until books 1-11 were free on Amazon. Really enjoyed it, although after reading 12 books back to back I think my brain is missing Orthos and Little Blue.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I have kicked into a couple of good Progression Fantasy series (in a school/learning setting) which helps fill the Cradle void. Just a level below Cradle, but still likeable and recommended.

Mark of the Fool by JM Clarke
The Path of Ascension by C Mantis

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The latest Dungeon Crawler Carl books is out today.
Just started book 5 and this series is wonderful. Read the first 2 on kindle and then did book 3-4 (and now 5) on audible. The narrator is fecking amazing, absolutely improves on an already fun and hilarious source material.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
What?! Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are the quintessential voices of fantasy!
Hey dude! I've finished Stormlight Archive and both eras of Mistborn.

Fair to say I love Kramer and Reading. Thing is, I want to start with Wheel of Time, but now I'm faced with the choice of going with the dated Kramer/Reading versions or the new narrator on the block - Rosamund Pike. Reviews indicate she reads it better.

How are Kramer/Reading's Wheel of Time performances?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Fair to say I love Kramer and Reading. Thing is, I want to start with Wheel of Time, but now I'm faced with the choice of going with the dated Kramer/Reading versions or the new narrator on the block - Rosamund Pike. Reviews indicate she reads it better.

It's not really a fair question to be....fair. :) For me, K/R ARE Wheel of Time. My first "read" through was those 2 and they defined the voice and attitude of every one of the 10,000 characters Jordon created.

However, just keep in mind that you are committing to 400+ hours of listening, so pick the narrator(s) you think you will stay engaged with. I adore them, but some do not, so maybe listen to samples of each (K/R and RP) and decide which style suits you.

....yes I know I completely dodged the question, but there is no way I am going to risk being responsible for someone rage listening 200 hours of audiobooks after deciding halfway through they hate the narrators and the asshole online who recommended them.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's not really a fair question to be....fair. :) For me, K/R ARE Wheel of Time. My first "read" through was those 2 and they defined the voice and attitude of every one of the 10,000 characters Jordon created.

However, just keep in mind that you are committing to 400+ hours of listening, so pick the narrator(s) you think you will stay engaged with. I adore them, but some do not, so maybe listen to samples of each (K/R and RP) and decide which style suits you.

....yes I know I completely dodged the question, but there is no way I am going to risk being responsible for someone rage listening 200 hours of audiobooks after deciding halfway through they hate the narrators and the asshole online who recommended them.
Ohhh I'll commit to 400 hours, no problem :lol: I'm addicted and compulsive. Also pretty damn excited by my next journey. I've never seen the show and I don't know a thing about the books. The best kind of journey!

Duafc

Village Lemon
Just started book 5 and this series is wonderful. Read the first 2 on kindle and then did book 3-4 (and now 5) on audible. The narrator is fecking amazing, absolutely improves on an already fun and hilarious source material.
on no.3 of these in about 2 weeks and they are so so good. I really thought it wouldn’t be for me or too silly but they are hilarious and quite gripping/emotional.

Great shout @Edgar Allan Pillow

mitChley

Just finished James Islington's 'Will of the Many' . Thought it was excellent. Good magic system, good characters, good politics. Wasn't sure what to expect as I wasn't a huge fan of Licanius, but I thought this was brilliant.

ben_united

I've never read a fantasy book but just got a new kindle for Christmas and started Fourth Wing last night by Rebecca Yarros as it looks to have good reviews. Couple of chapters in I've decided it's probably for women but feck it i'll crack on.

Eric_the_Red99

Personally, I can’t stand Kramer. Reads every single sentence with the same rhythm and inflection, like he’s reading a phone book. That’d be tolerable for a shorter novel, but for a huge doorstopper it really starts to grate. The only thing that got me to the end of the particular WoT book I was listening to was the fact that he alternates with Reading.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished James Islington's 'Will of the Many' . Thought it was excellent. Good magic system, good characters, good politics. Wasn't sure what to expect as I wasn't a huge fan of Licanius, but I thought this was brilliant.
Good to hear this, forgot that he is making a new trilogy. Am I right that this is similar to ‘Name of the Wind’? I think Islington mentioned it as inspiration in a AMA.

I think Licanius was just alright, but I also think its climax is arguably the best I’ve seen in the gender. Most of characters were just ok, but Tal is right there with the best characters in the genre, and after the story ended, I thought a few days only about him.

Also loved:

The God being actually the devil.

mitChley

Good to hear this, forgot that he is making a new trilogy. Am I right that this is similar to ‘Name of the Wind’? I think Islington mentioned it as inspiration in a AMA.

I think Licanius was just alright, but I also think its climax is arguably the best I’ve seen in the gender. Most of characters were just ok, but Tal is right there with the best characters in the genre, and after the story ended, I thought a few days only about him.

Also loved:

The God being actually the devil.
In places, it's been a while since I've read Name of the Wind so it might be more similar than I remember, the main similarity is that is based in a magic school. At places it did remind me of the first book in the Red Rising series.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Personally, I can’t stand Kramer. Reads every single sentence with the same rhythm and inflection, like he’s reading a phone book. That’d be tolerable for a shorter novel, but for a huge doorstopper it really starts to grate. The only thing that got me to the end of the particular WoT book I was listening to was the fact that he alternates with Reading.
I know exactly what you mean. Ta-ta-ta-duh-ta. Ta-ta-ta-duh.

But he grew on me!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
For me the duo is like that burger joint you went to as a kid. It is objectively meh, but oh man, it is what you grew up on and is the mythical yard stick by which every other burger is measured.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Off on holiday in two weeks so been looking around for what to read this time. Found out yesterday that Netflix have cancelled the Shadow and Bone franchise so have got hold of all of Leigh Bardugo's work.

I have read the Six of Crows duology but will go through the lot I like her writing immensely.

Obviously looked for any news of updates on the usual suspects but bugger all as usual.