Books Fantasy Reads

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah, Yolric and Trilos have to be the same one. Trilos might or might not be 'The Ancient One', but considering that he game the magic to Elfs out of spite of dwarfs, I think he is the same.

Not sure what is his end goal, bar finding the Gods. But then, he claims to be older than Gods.
[\spoiler]
Finished Book 3

Erebus is senior god with 3 sons Ferrol (elves), Drome (Dwarfs) and Mari (Humans) plus a daughter Muriel (nature). He rapes Muriel leading to birth of Uberlin (Goblins).
The ancient one freed from the dwarf fortress is called the three..which may be tri-los. He's also set to have been killed by his brother...so could be one of the sons. Or the evil version of Erebus which was split after he was killed...and still trying to reach out to the good half (Kile/Nimbus/Malcolm)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Being a big fan of The Witcher games I finally got around to starting the books. I finished Blood of Elves the other day. It's kind of shitty. Very little happens and Geralt is barely in it. Don't think I'll continue with the series.
Need to read all the books in a row to appreciate them. They really don't work as standalone, similar to the first law trilogy

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished Book 3

Erebus is senior god with 3 sons Ferrol (elves), Drome (Dwarfs) and Mari (Humans) plus a daughter Muriel (nature). He rapes Muriel leading to birth of Uberlin (Goblins).
The ancient one freed from the dwarf fortress is called the three..which may be tri-los. He's also set to have been killed by his brother...so could be one of the sons. Or the evil version of Erebus which was split after he was killed...and still trying to reach out to the good half (Kile/Nimbus/Malcolm)
Erebus, Kile, Nimbus, Turin and Malcolm is the same person.

Trilos is Yolric, and most likely 'The Ancient One'.

The relation between him and Erebus is not explained fully, bar that he always causes conflict in order to detect 'The Invisible Hand/Erebus' fixing it. The reason for this seems to be that he thought that he is the most powerful entity, but then started thinking that Gods might actually exist. Still, there has to be something more than this (we have found that many things we take for granted in these books, turn out to be false).

About Erebus kids, we haven't seen anyone of them yet, so it is hard to know. In fact what humans worshipped as male god Mari, we saw that in the past they worshipped as 'her'. We don't even know yet that the 5 junior Gods exist. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be yet another false.

There might be some connection between the Village Witch (forgot her name) and one (or both) of Trilon and Turin. Could she be another God?

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Gods turn out to be only extremely powerful and old wizards, instead of real Gods.

Rake

Need to read all the books in a row to appreciate them. They really don't work as standalone, similar to the first law trilogy
The truth is that Geralt is a secondary character in the main Withcher series. Since the games are so Geart-centric, people expect the same from the books as well.

Although the games are full of references, they don't copy the storyline of the books at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
The truth is that Geralt is a secondary character in the main Withcher series. Since the games are so Geart-centric, people expect the same from the books as well.

Although the games are full of references, they don't copy the storyline of the books at all.
He is not secondary though. Yes, a lot of the plot is based on Geralt trying to find Ciri, but I would be extremely surprised if the story isn't told from Geralt's POV for at least 70% of the saga.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Revan

Have you read Age of Legends, the 4th book? You get to meet Muriel ;) and learn some secrets we discussed earlier. Anything more will be a spoiler.

But then I'm exhausted on this series. I didn't like Age of War and Legends continues the same. Author is just dragging the series very similar to middle books of WoT. Two more books to come (Age of Death and Age of Empyre) I don't think I have the interest to continue further. Myth and Swords were still awesome.

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan

Have you read Age of Legends, the 4th book? You get to meet Muriel ;) and learn some secrets we discussed earlier. Anything more will be a spoiler.

But then I'm exhausted on this series. I didn't like Age of War and Legends continues the same. Author is just dragging the series very similar to middle books of WoT. Two more books to come (Age of Death and Age of Empyre) I don't think I have the interest to continue further. Myth and Swords were still awesome.
Nope, didn't know that it has been released. I'll read it after finishing 'His Dark Materials'. Still in the first book, and I don't see what is great about this Trilogy, but persisting until the end of the book.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just finished Age of Legends, bit disappointing. Decent world building but not sure about character development, or the plot moving much. Also the mopy teenager villian kind of awful.

Anyone read gene Wolfe? Am about to start second half of the book of the new sun.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just finished Kings of the Wyld. Not a fan.

I liked the premise of mercenary 'bands' that mirrored their real life musical counterparts, each having their own reputation and style, but it wore thin quickly, and the story quickly devolved into a fairly empty rescue arc. I understand that the author set out to rehash classic fantasy tropes in a fun way, but that in itself has become a trope of it's own, to the point where it's become a bit stale.

Though there was some well written moments, I found the prose and storytelling amateurish, with a hell of a lot of 'telling' used to build his world and the history of his characters. How often were we told that several members of the band were merciless killers, only for them to repeatedly choose the moral high ground? Or for someone to ask some well placed open question for one of the passive narrators (usually Moog or Kip) to launch into some lengthy exposition?

Midway through he picked up this theme of Clay contemplating whether he was 'the hero or the monster,' and yet gave us absolutely no indication he was anything other than a Mary Sue. Hell, why the feck did these supposed stone cold killers:

decide to keep Larkspur alive and bring her along with them? It makes no sense. Nor did it make sense to inexplicably leave her where she was when Barrett shot her with his crossbow. She'd just tried to kill them, again, and not one of them thought it might be good to make sure this famed huntress was actually dead? Really?

My guess was he'd realised Clay was somewhat of a static character (as most of the protagonists were) and decided to thumb in a side plot to demonstrate his growth throughout the story.

The only character that genuinely intrigued me was the main antagonist. Despite his limited time on the page Lastleaf was the only character whose past was properly fleshed out. There was clear motives for why he was doing what he was doing, and his views on the Heartwyld Horde and the treatment of it's monsters by humans had logic. There was a chance for our band, and Clay in particular, to properly engage with Lastleaf and for his views on humanities appetite for massacring and enslaving these wild animals to muddy the waters. Unfortunately, Eames chose not allows this moral ambiguity to challenge the characters established beliefs on what was right and wrong, and instead they continued to merrily hack down any of the mishmash of mythical creatures that crossed their path.

There is so much I could write about HotW, most of it negative, but I'll leave it there. I'm sure it was some people's cup of tea but not mine.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

Nope, didn't know that it has been released. I'll read it after finishing 'His Dark Materials'. Still in the first book, and I don't see what is great about this Trilogy, but persisting until the end of the book.
It grows in scope, ambition and scale as it moves through the books. The first book is almost a prologue to the main story.

Rake

Managed to pick The book of Swords on 50% off and enjoying it so far. The first four stories are pretty good.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
reread the Riftwar Sage and Serpentwar Saga's whilst on holiday, found Magician really dated but thoroughly enjoyed the Serpentwar stuff, might read the rest of the stuff in the next couple of months

kps88

Just finished the First Law trilogy. Was good fun. Went by pretty quick. I read somewhere people like some of the subsequent standalone books even more so will get to them soon.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished the First Law trilogy. Was good fun. Went by pretty quick. I read somewhere people like some of the subsequent standalone books even more so will get to them soon.
Best Served Cold is magnificent, and The Heroes is arguably better than any of the books in the trilogy. The third standalone is a bit weaker but I would say still pretty good.

My rating would be something like: Best Served Cold > The Heroes = The Last Argument of Kings > Before They Are Hanged > Red Country = The Blade Itself.

The short story collection of The First Law is also pretty good. I also like his other trilogy (The Shattered Sea) but it is clearly a step down from The First Law.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Red Country is the worst of the lot. There is no innovation in plot or storytelling and only saving grace is Cosca character. Eminently forgettable book.

TBI was infinitely better than RC despite raw writing.
TBI's problem is that the writing was poor. On the other hand, RC has a very good writing.

Agree though that the story of TBI is much better.

kps88

Best Served Cold is magnificent, and The Heroes is arguably better than any of the books in the trilogy. The third standalone is a bit weaker but I would say still pretty good.

My rating would be something like: Best Served Cold > The Heroes = The Last Argument of Kings > Before They Are Hanged > Red Country = The Blade Itself.

The short story collection of The First Law is also pretty good. I also like his other trilogy (The Shattered Sea) but it is clearly a step down from The First Law.
Nice. These will keep me busy for a while. He's got the first of a new trilogy out next month as well.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
TBI's problem is that the writing was poor. On the other hand, RC has a very good writing.

Agree though that the story of TBI is much better.
Yeah. In the end if I had to choose brilliant writing of a shit plot/story vs brilliant plot with half decent writing, I'd take the later.

Only exception to above is probably Kingkiller :lol: Absolutely awesome prose plasters over a turd of a plot.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
How come?
If you didn't like KotW you won't like Bloody Rose. It's just a worse, far more over the top version of the first, with none of the charm of Kings of the Wyld. There's a monster in it called the 'dragon eater' (you can imagine why). I'll just say that that scene is as far as I made it before putting the book down and not touching it again. It was ridiculously bad.

Rake

Blast from the past. One of the earliest book, I've read in fantasy and though I don't remember the plot...have good memories about the series.

Iirc, it was a bit of raw work with plot not being too complex and made up for in non-stop sword and sorcery action sequences. Fast paced, though a bit unidimensional. Very entertaining though. Perhaps I'll give this a read again later.
300 pages into Dawnthief and I quite like it. As you mentioned, it is nothing groundbreaking but has decent pace and the writing style is not too attention demanding, while not being simplistic and dull. I`m certainly considering buying the other four books as well (Legends of the Raven).

On another note, I was recommended "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" as something off the beaten path. Anyone read the series?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
On another note, I was recommended "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" as something off the beaten path. Anyone read the series?
I personally hated it as the entire book felt like a sob story for the protagonist with some events thrown in between. Depressing as hell to follow the hero through his existential crisis. I could neither connect with the plot nor the writing.

It does come recommended for its literary prose style. You'll hear vastly differing view on this. Depends on personal taste.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I still got to read Red Country. My favorite of Joe is The Shattered Sea trilogy as it seemed a bit less "comical" to me and had a very stringent story.

Ainu

Has anyone here read The Licanius Trilogy? I'm halfway through the first book, it's been good but also a little frustrating so far, not sure how I really feel about it yet. Is the full trilogy worth it?

Reiver

300 pages into Dawnthief and I quite like it. As you mentioned, it is nothing groundbreaking but has decent pace and the writing style is not too attention demanding, while not being simplistic and dull. I`m certainly considering buying the other four books as well (Legends of the Raven).

Yes, this is absolutely one of my favourite series ever. Certainly the first two trilogies, not as fond of the later books and wish the author hadn't bothered. But the first two trilogies I couldn't recommend highly enough.

Art Vandelay

I'm about 70% of the way through Republic of Thieves and struggling to finish it. The writing is very good, Jean and Locke are great characters. But I don't care for the plot at all. I don't care about random elections. I don't care about plays. I especially do not care about Sabetha. I thought it would be cool to finally meet her, but she's kind of a wet drip a lot of the time and just plain annoying. The relationship between her and Locke is bizarre and doesn't really make much sense so far, he loves her but she's kind of a prick all the time. It all feels a bit forced and doesn't flow as good as the first two books.

I can't even say it's a bad book, it's just not for me. I'm also burned out on reading about thieves. I don't particularly like reading about them, but it seems every new fantasy book I read now is about thieves.

Rake

Yes, this is absolutely one of my favourite series ever. Certainly the first two trilogies, not as fond of the later books and wish the author hadn't bothered. But the first two trilogies I couldn't recommend highly enough.
Thanks! I think i will give it a go.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Supremacy's Shadow
- T Eric Bakutis

A quite nice space action sci-fi book. A bit of light read, but fully action packed and has enough surprises to keep you hooked till the end. It's like John McClane meets Master Chief. I enjoyed it.

@harshad right up your line...

Last edited:

celia

Nope, I was kind of wondering if the echo chambers were giving me a false idea of the book, let's say I follow YA fantasy reviewers so their expectations are different from the fantasy readers. So reading few critical comments from Reddit books made me delay my reading, anyway I don't like much super heroes stories and I can't say I was impressed by A Darker Shade of Magic and three of her other novels (I liked enough two of them but I completely missed why the two others were so praised).

Still reading the Dragon Republic (read a bit more than one third of it), it is a pleasant enough reading. It is quite a change because I want the MC to suffer, like are her trials exacting enough? Does she deserve a respite?

Though I am trying to finish the Mysteries of Udolpho first, not that I like it better (I should have DNFed it but I read too many pages to give it up now) but to be done with it.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Read the first book in The Grim Company. Pretty decent if unspectacular reading. I don't get the Abercrombie comparisons though, it is nothing alike.

Now in Age of Legend, and then excited to start A Little Hatred next week. It better be the best book ever.