Books Fantasy Reads

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
For anyone that doesn't check out the r/fantasy subreddit, there's a bunch of authors offering free ebooks at the moment. Most of it isn't in my wheelhouse, but worth looking into.
Super. I was thinking of reading Awaken Online and it's free now. Wonderful coincidence.
Sweet. I picked up First Blade of Ostia.
Lost dawn and Digitesque series also look interesting.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So what's available? Do we have a complete list?

DavelinaJolie

So what's available? Do we have a complete list?
Since I have nothing better to do:
"Tatterwing" series by M.M. Stauffer
"Legend of the Stone Keepers" - J.L. Trepanier
"Ascend Online" trilogy - Luke Chmilenko
Anything by Jeffrey Hall
"The First Blade of Ostia" - Duncan M. Hamilton
"The Lost Dawn" - Dan Neil
"Awaken Online" series - Travis Bagwell
"Mage Errant - Publisher pack" - John Bierce
"The Combat Codes (The Combat Codes Saga Book 1)" - Alexander Darwin
"Sorrowfish (The Call of the Lorica)" - Anne C. Miles

There may be more. I've found these for free on Amazon.co.uk, not sure about other regions. Also can't vouch for the quality, but some of the comments have been quite positive about some of these.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Just out of interest, I don't really follow trends in Fantasy novels, and the last several years have passed me by. Is there really a genre of fantasy fiction about people in MMORPGS? I read the Yahtzee Croshaw "Mogworld" book a few years ago but that was more satire. Is this really a thing?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Since I have nothing better to do:
Thanks. Thought I browsed reddit, but missed some of those!

Just out of interest, I don't really follow trends in Fantasy novels, and the last several years have passed me by. Is there really a genre of fantasy fiction about people in MMORPGS? I read the Yahtzee Croshaw "Mogworld" book a few years ago but that was more satire. Is this really a thing?
Yes. The genre is called LitRPG (Literary RPG). Awaken Online and Ascend Online in your list above belong to this. Unfortunately there's a whole load of crap books with a few really good ones. If you are interested, I'd say check out Euphoria Online and reborn Apocalypse series. Awaken Online in list above is supposed to be one of the best around, but I haven't read them yet.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

For those enjoying the first book in the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, To Forge a King by Thomas Adams is recommendable. While not a strictly 1 pov book like Blood Song, it shares many similarities and gives you the same "vibes".
The kindle version got some typos and in need of some editing, but overall a good book. If you want good vs evil, sword and sorcery training and coming of age (more adult than young adult in theme), destiny, some (a little bit to much maybe ) romance etc, then this is a good book for you.
8.2/10.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Started the licanius trilogy, 2 chapters in it's already hitting so many of my pet peeves :mad:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anyways, who's up for a collective let's read?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
For those enjoying the first book in the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, To Forge a King by Thomas Adams is recommendable. While not a strictly 1 pov book like Blood Song, it shares many similarities and gives you the same "vibes".
The kindle version got some typos and in need of some editing, but overall a good book. If you want good vs evil, sword and sorcery training and coming of age (more adult than young adult in theme), destiny, some (a little bit to much maybe ) romance etc, then this is a good book for you.
8.2/10.
Thanks I'll line that one up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just read the free first 90 pages of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and it's got an interesting style. Would those of you who read it recommend it?

DMacgraw

Just read the free first 90 pages of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and it's got an interesting style. Would those of you who read it recommend it?
I gave up on it about a third of the way through.

DMacgraw

Butcher did the same as what GRRM did with the original A Feast for Crows. His publishers convinced him Peace Talks was too big and should be split into two books (no, no, had nothing to do with making more money with two books instead of one!).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So i dropped the licanius trilogy for now and took up The Priory of the Orange Tree

It's over a 1000 pages long, i started it today and i'm halfway through. Couldn't put it down. A thing of stunning beauty

Read it if you haven't already

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Butcher did the same as what GRRM did with the original A Feast for Crows. His publishers convinced him Peace Talks was too big and should be split into two books (no, no, had nothing to do with making more money with two books instead of one!).
Yeah but I think the difference is that events in FFC ans DwD were mostly happening in around the same time with the DwD proceeding further towards the end, while the events of Battleground seem like they will be after the events of Peace Talks. Also only 3 months between the 2 books unlike 5 years between FFC and DwD.

celia

I like it. It is a really good book. Even if it was hard for me to be interested at first because a lot of the beginning of the book seems more small short stories or like 4 panel comics. So once I switched to short paced readings, it went better.

-

I feel like I should either finish the throne of glass series (the first book is absolutely awful, the 2nd and 3rd are enjoyable enough) or start the The Rain Wild Chronicles.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Awaken Online #1 - Catharsis
Awaken Online #2 - Precipice

Awaken Online #2.5 - Retribution
Awaken Online #3 - Evolution
Awaken Online #3.5 - Apathy
Awaken Online #4 - Dominion
Awaken Online #4.5 - Unity
--- Travis Bagwell

Overall: +9

Is this an story about a sentient AI trying to identify itself?
Is this a story about a boy becoming a man?
Is this a Necromancer character trying to dominate a game?
Is this a story about society's fear of future of AI development?

It's all rolled into one. Add in themes of class divusion, school bullying etc and you get a nice hot pot of a books that stands out in the genre famous for mediocre tropes. If you've loved playing as Necromancer in any games, you'll be sure to love this book. Epic battles with Zombies, death knights, bone lords and other whatnots of undead makes this a cracking read.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +8

The author has a way with writing battle scenes. The story starts off with a story that seem to be laden in cliches, but quickly morphs in to a cracking rollercoaster ride to hell. The book switches between game world and real world and manages to keep you guessing as to how the story progress in both. What set it aside for other LitRPG books, is the out world story that's as interesting if not more than in-game story. You get the enthusiasm of some developers of AI, the fear of others, the popularity among young public and fear among older people, psychological impact of games on people (remember call of duty vs mass shooters story?) the game masterfully tackles all of the above and more.

What's missing is an epic antagonist, but you don't feel it much. There's some other minor gripes on some recurring themes, but nothing to detract from the plus points.

Characters: +8
not much in Book 1, but as plot goes, you see the both the in-game and out-world characters developing which is cherry on cake. The development is organic and despite some minor flaws, it's been well done. You are left waiting to see how the out-world vs in-game events impact the characters both ways, which is very intriguing and pleasant to read.

Last edited:

The Cat

Imagine if Rothfuss had brought his book out now - it could have broken records.

I still live in hope - one day ....

celia

I'm glad I don't wait this long awaited 3rd book. I don't want to know what kind of fan I would be with an author like Rothfuss.

I actually wait for other books, one from a prolific writer with other more important series and one series from an author that is often officially ill even if there are rumors that he may play video games a lot. So it is way easier to be understanding.

Currently reading the rise and fall of D.O.D.O. , it is a fun read.

Fosu-Mens

Can recommend Kan Savasci Cycle by Chase Blackwood. First 3 books out so far.

Story: Main protagonist tribe gets annihilated by dragons while he is out on his "adulthood" ritual. Boy/man leaves, seeking power to get revenge. Religion, politics, goods, historical empires, magic, fighting etc. In general, a lot of groundwork is being laid in building the dimension(s) for further reading.

The prose is great, the worldbuilding great, and the series is showing great promise. Reminds me somewhat about KKC(past and present storylines) in structure and wording, but not as "lyrical". Very entertaining.

9/10 so far.

celia

GRRM has kept us waiting even longer for the 6th book in the ASOIAF series
But Rothfuss can still beat it. Moreover hadn't he said the 3rd book was already written when the first book was published?

--

I finished the rise and fall of the D.O.D.O, it is more a popcorn book. I am nearly done with Cursed, an anthology of short stories by different authors, I like more than half of them which is a surprise.

Last edited:

DMacgraw

Finished the 9 (so far) published books in the Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer. I was pleasantly surprised. The series is about a street magician (Faust) and his cronies who are members of the criminal underworld in Las Vegas. The very underrated street magicians ally with and sometimes battle various demons from the courts of Hell, as well as powered beings and organizations who want to take over Las Vegas as part of their nefarious world domination plans. Faust relies mainly on his wits, the tight bonds he has with his friends, and the fact that he is usually vastly underestimated by the powerful beings, to thwart their plans. In this respect, he is very much like Dresden. I enjoyed this series much more than the Nightside (Simon R Green) and Sandman Slim (Richard Kadrey) series which also deal with demons from Hell working undercover in our reality. The Daniel Faust series is not yet complete, with the next book in the saga expected to be released later in 2020. Recommended.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Better than sandman slim? Now that's big praise

Then again i consider sandman slim the best urbam fantasy series i've read, considerably better than dresden, so, we probably have a much different perspective on this

Still, adding to the list, thanks for the tip!

DMacgraw

Then again i consider sandman slim the best urbam fantasy series i've read, considerably better than dresden
I think it's pretty obvious that we have diametrically opposite tastes, so my likes may not be for you. Big case in point, the Licanius Trilogy above.
My tastes run toward Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, while I think yours are more toward Richard Kadrey and Mark Lawrence. All good.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Mage Errant Trilogy
#1 - Into the Labyrinth
#2 - Jewel of the Endless Erg
#3 - A Traitor in Skyhold
-- John Bierce

Not sure why I liked this series so much. It faithfully follows all the standard tropes for this genre. The plot wasn't really devious......But, the worldbuilding is exceptional and the writing style just makes this easy to love.

Just old fashioned fantasy adventure romp. Light and fun YA read.

+7

Last edited:

The Cat

So i dropped the licanius trilogy for now and took up The Priory of the Orange Tree

It's over a 1000 pages long, i started it today and i'm halfway through. Couldn't put it down. A thing of stunning beauty

Read it if you haven't already
Just ordered that one.

Fosu-Mens

Having tried different Gamelit/litrpg books (Awaken Online, Chaosseed, Mage Errant) without getting the "bug", i finally found a book I can recommend: Land of the Undying Lord - J.T. Wright.

Around 400 ratings on Goodreads, with 4.7 in average. Sufficient sample space to assume it is not being inflated by fake users.

Some spelling errors and one or two annoying characters, still a fun book, with banter, leveling, classes and a potentially interesting expanding plot. Next book in the series should be out by the end of the month.

Best Gamelit/litrpg i have read so far. 9/10.

DMacgraw

Anyone read Senlin Ascends? It's really good, not like many other books I've read recently.
It's fantasy, but realistic and the protagonist is pretty inept at everything. Decent change of pace anyway.
I recommended this series to the board in September 2019. Glad you like it so far. This is what I wrote then:
Just finished the first three books in the Tower of Babel series by Josiah Bancroft. The blurbs from Goodreads on each of the books:

Senlin Ascends
The Tower of Babel is the greatest marvel in the world. Immense as a mountain, the ancient Tower holds unnumbered ringdoms, warring and peaceful, stacked one on the other like the layers of a cake. It is a world of geniuses and tyrants, of airships and steam engines, of unusual animals and mysterious machines.

Soon after arriving for his honeymoon at the Tower, the mild-mannered headmaster of a small village school, Thomas Senlin, gets separated from his wife, Marya, in the overwhelming swarm of tourists, residents, and miscreants.

Senlin is determined to find Marya, but to do so he'll have to navigate madhouses, ballrooms, and burlesque theaters. He must survive betrayal, assassination, and the long guns of a flying fortress. But if he hopes to find his wife, he will have to do more than just endure.

This quiet man of letters must become a man of action.

Arm of the Sphinx
The Tower of Babel is proving to be as difficult to reenter as it was to break out of. Forced into a life of piracy, Senlin and his eclectic crew are struggling to survive aboard their stolen airship as the hunt to rescue Senlin's lost wife continues.

Hopeless and desolate, they turn to a legend of the Tower, the mysterious Sphinx. But help from the Sphinx never comes cheaply, and as Senlin knows, debts aren't always what they seem in the Tower of Babel.

Time is running out, and now Senlin must choose between his friends, his freedom, and his wife. Does anyone truly escape the Tower?

The Hod King
Fearing an uprising, the Sphinx sends Senlin to investigate a plot that has taken hold in the ringdom of Pelphia. Alone in the city, Senlin infiltrates a bloody arena where hods battle for the public's entertainment. But his investigation is quickly derailed by a gruesome crime and an unexpected reunion.

Posing as a noble lady and her handmaid, Voleta and Iren attempt to reach Marya, who is isolated by her fame. While navigating the court, Voleta attracts the unwanted attention of a powerful prince whose pursuit of her threatens their plan.

Edith, now captain of the Sphinx's fierce flagship, joins forces with a fellow wakeman to investigate the disappearance of a beloved friend. She must decide who to trust as her desperate search brings her nearer to the Black Trail where the hods climb in darkness and whisper of the Hod King.

As Senlin and his crew become further dragged in to the conspiracies of the Tower, everything falls to one question: Who is The Hod King?

My Observations
I found the first two books quite innovative and the action moves at a pretty good clip. The third book tended to drag in the first half or so, then exploded into action in the final third. Bancroft says the series will end in one more book. I'll be waiting for it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I recommended this series to the board in September 2019. Glad you like it so far. This is what I wrote then:
Just finished the first three books in the Tower of Babel series by Josiah Bancroft. The blurbs from Goodreads on each of the books:

Senlin Ascends
The Tower of Babel is the greatest marvel in the world. Immense as a mountain, the ancient Tower holds unnumbered ringdoms, warring and peaceful, stacked one on the other like the layers of a cake. It is a world of geniuses and tyrants, of airships and steam engines, of unusual animals and mysterious machines.

Soon after arriving for his honeymoon at the Tower, the mild-mannered headmaster of a small village school, Thomas Senlin, gets separated from his wife, Marya, in the overwhelming swarm of tourists, residents, and miscreants.

Senlin is determined to find Marya, but to do so he'll have to navigate madhouses, ballrooms, and burlesque theaters. He must survive betrayal, assassination, and the long guns of a flying fortress. But if he hopes to find his wife, he will have to do more than just endure.

This quiet man of letters must become a man of action.

Arm of the Sphinx
The Tower of Babel is proving to be as difficult to reenter as it was to break out of. Forced into a life of piracy, Senlin and his eclectic crew are struggling to survive aboard their stolen airship as the hunt to rescue Senlin's lost wife continues.

Hopeless and desolate, they turn to a legend of the Tower, the mysterious Sphinx. But help from the Sphinx never comes cheaply, and as Senlin knows, debts aren't always what they seem in the Tower of Babel.

Time is running out, and now Senlin must choose between his friends, his freedom, and his wife. Does anyone truly escape the Tower?

The Hod King
Fearing an uprising, the Sphinx sends Senlin to investigate a plot that has taken hold in the ringdom of Pelphia. Alone in the city, Senlin infiltrates a bloody arena where hods battle for the public's entertainment. But his investigation is quickly derailed by a gruesome crime and an unexpected reunion.

Posing as a noble lady and her handmaid, Voleta and Iren attempt to reach Marya, who is isolated by her fame. While navigating the court, Voleta attracts the unwanted attention of a powerful prince whose pursuit of her threatens their plan.

Edith, now captain of the Sphinx's fierce flagship, joins forces with a fellow wakeman to investigate the disappearance of a beloved friend. She must decide who to trust as her desperate search brings her nearer to the Black Trail where the hods climb in darkness and whisper of the Hod King.

As Senlin and his crew become further dragged in to the conspiracies of the Tower, everything falls to one question: Who is The Hod King?

My Observations
I found the first two books quite innovative and the action moves at a pretty good clip. The third book tended to drag in the first half or so, then exploded into action in the final third. Bancroft says the series will end in one more book. I'll be waiting for it.
Sorry, thanks must have forgotten. Am only just starting the second and so far so good :)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

The Girl and the Stars
- Mark Lawrence

Overall: +7
Set in same world as Book of Ancestors, but in a different part of the world (and in a different timelines, I presume). Works as standalone start without having to read earlier books. It follows the girl Yaz and her adventures when trying to save her brother who was weeded out as a "broken" in a harsh tribal ceremony. The book is action packed and highlights a brilliant world, though being the first book, the world doesn't really come together as of now. Still very intriguing.

Writing/Pace/Plot: +7
The book starts off on a very predictable note which was a bit of a let down, before getting to the core of the story. The world building is intriguing, action is fast paced...but I found something missing that might have made this into a 5 star read. For one, you have way too many plots (all important, but none gaining much traction) thrown at readers which just leaves the pile of unanswered questions getting bigger and bigger.

Felt the ending was also a bit of Deus Ex machina and very hasty in just plastering over fates of many characters. Add in a cliffhanger ending...and I didn't get the satisfaction of having completed a book. Books in trilogy must have a self-contained arc and despite lots of events that'll get covered in here, the main arc for this book is sadly lacking.

The language is a bit of a hot-pot too as author mixes modern terms like panels, wiring etc in a ice-age'esque world and even quotes from Ozymandias (P.B Shelly) all thrown together. Explanation for this also feels very flimsy.

Characters: +6
Yaz pretty much takes the bulk of limelight and unfortunately she's a very trope-y. Young, special with huge unrealized powers, good heart but makes stupid temperamental decisions lacking common sense. Compared to Nona Grey, she falls flat. None of the other characters make a impression too which takes a big chunk away from me getting invested.

Conclusion:
Despite the flaws, the world building is intriguing enough for me to continue the series. I really want to see how this all comes together. Fingers crossed, it's all the way up from here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is the writing similar to The Broken Empire?