Books Fantasy Reads

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Whoa, there's new Malazan? Agreed Karsa wasn't my favourite plotline, but that series remains one of the most genuinely impressive works of literature I've ever come across. Will have to pick it up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, it's in the title: The God(Karsa) is not willing :D

I still haven't found the right frame of mind to start it yet :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
Probably posted this before more than once but when this gets bumped I am only thinking of Rothfuss.
After five years of not reading the first book despite owning it, I finally decided to give it a go a couple of weeks ago and now I can't stop! 3/4th of the way through the second book. What's the news about the final book? Is he ever going to finish it or is going down the GRRM way?

wr8_utd

Is there anything you guys would recommend to someone who really enjoyed LOTR, WOT, ASOIAF, the Mistborn Series and is almost done with Book 2 of The Kingkiller Chronicles?

I've seen Riyria Revelations and the Nevernight series being recommended in recent pages. Is there anything else?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
After five years of not reading the first book despite owning it, I finally decided to give it a go a couple of weeks ago and now I can't stop! 3/4th of the way through the second book. What's the news about the final book? Is he ever going to finish it or is going down the GRRM way?
Doubtful. He was so arrogant after he released his first book, assuring his adoring fans he wasn't like other authors: he already had the next two books written.

I think he has painted himself into a corner. The internet has guessed his intended ending. He can't amend the story and complete everything in the space of a book. This was supposed to be the Kingkiller chronicles, but instead we've got a (very entertaining) memoir of a street urchin.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Doubtful. He was so arrogant after he released his first book, assuring his adoring fans he wasn't like other authors: he already had the next two books written.

I think he has painted himself into a corner. The internet has guessed his intended ending. He can't amend the story and complete everything in the space of a book. This was supposed to be the Kingkiller chronicles, but instead we've got a (very entertaining) memoir of a street urchin.
I've listened to him on his streams and things like that and he really sounds like he treats his fans with distain.

Beachryan

The new Malazan book appears to have geo locked release dates, my release isn't til November.

Need something new to read...

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Is there anything you guys would recommend to someone who really enjoyed LOTR, WOT, ASOIAF, the Mistborn Series and is almost done with Book 2 of The Kingkiller Chronicles?

I've seen Riyria Revelations and the Nevernight series being recommended in recent pages. Is there anything else?
I enjoyed the Red Sister trilogy = Book of the Ancestor trilogy. Nothing unusual in them but I liked them.

Fingeredmouse

Take the Moorcock plunge? If you have 3 years to spare.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Read the Wax and Wayne books in the Mistborn saga? How about Stormlight Archive?

Bobski

Farseer, especially the first trilogy from Robin Hobb, fantastic character work, a must read.

Sword of Shadows from J.V.Jones, she completed a fairly mediocre trilogy called The Book of Words, then did this which for me would be on the level of ASOIAF. Caveat though, 10 years since the last book.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, grim, like a more nihilistic version of GRRM.

Bakker's Prince of Nothing, like a cross between Abercrombie and Eriksen.

Speaking of Eriksen, the Malazan series is highly rated by many. Not a huge fan myself, the first book is a slog to get through.

celia

I like better the second trilogy (Liveship traders) of The Realm of the Elderlings Series by Robin Hobb, but both are really good.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett is an intriguing murder fantasy.

Concerning Rothfuss, I feel it is better to abandon all hopes and be surprised if the last book is finally announced with a date. After all, last year, his editor said she had never seen a word of book 3.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne
Paternus by Dyrk Ashton
Grey Bastards by Jonathan French
Manifest Delusions by Michael Fletcher
Book of Ancestor by Mark Lawrence

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I like better the second trilogy (Liveship traders) of The Realm of the Elderlings Series by Robin Hobb, but both are really good.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett is an intriguing murder fantasy.

Concerning Rothfuss, I feel it is better to abandon all hopes and be surprised if the last book is finally announced with a date. After all, last year, his editor said she had never seen a word of book 3.
Regarding City of Stairs: I read that there is kind of a Lovecraftian feeling to it - is this correct?
And how annoying is the story being told in present time?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

As far as finished series go I would say:

Acacia trilogy by Durham
Unhewn Throne by Staveley
Dagger & Coin by Abraham
Crown of Stars by Elliott
Godless World trilogy by Ruckley
Powder Mage trilogy by McClellan
Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Keyes

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I always throw in a plug for the Gentlemen Bastard series. The first book, The Lies of Locke Lamora, is my favorite ever book.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne
Paternus by Dyrk Ashton
Grey Bastards by Jonathan French
Manifest Delusions by Michael Fletcher
Book of Ancestor by Mark Lawrence
John Gwynne is great, I need to read his second trilogy as well. Reminds me a bit of Gemmell at times, but with a more modern style. Traditional Fantasy but not too bland and with a touch of fairytales and folkloric legends.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Regarding City of Stairs: I read that there is kind of a Lovecraftian feeling to it - is this correct?
Eh, kinda, on the lovecraftian,thing. Not a lot, but there's kind of an element of it yeah

As for story being told in present time, can't help, i like it

Revan

Assumptionman
As far as finished series go I would say:

Acacia trilogy by Durham
Unhewn Throne by Staveley
Dagger & Coin by Abraham
Only the first book is decent, I think it goes downhill after that. The other two recommendation are quite good though.

Other recommendations of fully finished sagas I like:

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Real of the Elderlings: especially The Farseer Trilogy and the Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb
The Black Company by Glen Cook
The First Law Trilogy, 3 Standalone Novels, The Age of Madness, Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
The Broken Empire and The Red Queen's War by Mark Lawrence
Mistborn Era I by Brandon Sanderson
The Riyria Revelations and the Legends of the first Empire by Michael J Sullivan
Long Price Quartet by Abraham (in addition to Dagger and the Coin you recommended)
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
The Witcher by Sapkowski

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Only the first book is decent, I think it goes downhill after that. The other two recommendation are quite good though.

Other recommendations of fully finished sagas I like:

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Real of the Elderlings: especially The Farseer Trilogy and the Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb
The Black Company by Glen Cook
The First Law Trilogy, 3 Standalone Novels, The Age of Madness, Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
The Broken Empire and The Red Queen's War by Mark Lawrence
Mistborn Era I by Brandon Sanderson
The Riyria Revelations and the Legends of the first Empire by Michael J Sullivan
Long Price Quartet by Abraham (in addition to Dagger and the Coin you recommended)
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
The Witcher by Sapkowski
The backstory of how/why Codex Alera got made is fecking hilarious. It is also a great series.

celia

I never got this impression of lovecraftian from City of Stairs though it is true it is otherworldly. Not that much the feeling of horror.

I don't even remember it was in present time.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Cheers about the replies regarding City of Stairs. Might give it a go.
I liked the whole Acacia trilogy, but like you said the first surely was the best book.

Regarding Codex Alera I stopped in the middle of Book 2 and sold the books. Too bland and uninspired for my taste, no depth to story and characters at all. I really do not stop a series too often especially with all books bought at once but this one is really as boring as it gets.

nickyboy1981

Another + for the First Law books. In my opinion, the most consistent series quality wise, they are all great. I have Best Served Cold to read yet but have also fell out with fantasy a little.

What are you thinking is the ending that has been guessed? Or is that a general statement because there are so many theories? I loved the books but I agree with you. I don't see how he can fit everything in, unless we get a more substantial version of a SROST type inbetweener. Still hoping he can pull it off...

Bobski

Cheers about the replies regarding City of Stairs. Might give it a go.
I liked the whole Acacia trilogy, but like you said the first surely was the best book.

Regarding Codex Alera I stopped in the middle of Book 2 and sold the books. Too bland and uninspired for my taste, no depth to story and characters at all. I really do not stop a series too often especially with all books bought at once but this one is really as boring as it gets.
Yes, maybe readable as your first fantasy series but for the initiated it reads like a dull, by the numbers retread.

Just considering other recommendations;

Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books are solid, maybe a little old fashioned these days.

Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana and Lions of Al Rassan are superb standalone novels, not something you see much these days, he did write a trilogy, The Finovar Tapestry, which is good but has exceedingly flowery prose.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yes, maybe readable as your first fantasy series but for the initiated it reads like a dull, by the numbers retread.

Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books are solid, maybe a little old fashioned these days.

Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana and Lions of Al Rassan are superb standalone novels, not something you see much these days, he did write a trilogy, The Finovar Tapestry, which is good but has exceedingly flowery prose.
Do the Deryni books have to be read strictly in order and in their entirety or is it possible to try just one trilogy at first? If so which?

Thanks!

Beachryan

Tigana was my 'gateway' Fantasy book, got me into the genre. Absolutely magnificient and the first thing I recommend to people on the fence.

Bobski

Do the Deryni books have to be read strictly in order and in their entirety or is it possible to try just one trilogy at first? If so which?

Thanks!
I started out of sequence with the Histories of King Kelson, and even though there was a lot I was missing I still found them enjoyable. I think there are 5? separate trilogies and a number of other novels all from different periods of time, so fairly convoluted.

Chronicles of Deryni would have been my obvious choice of starting point but a little searching shows that is not the general feeling, Camber of Culdi is the one apparently(have not read it)

Tigana was my 'gateway' Fantasy book, got me into the genre. Absolutely magnificient and the first thing I recommend to people on the fence.
Yes, think I have read it 3 times now and I still find it so affecting, think about it for days afterwards, takes an emotional toil reading it. I have such admiration for authors who can produce these magnificent stand-alone works, to build the world and characters and then be able to step away and leave a close to perfect work. Must be difficult, I know as a reader, especially as a kid, I almost dread the endings of great stories, always want more of the characters but if the author is the same then bloat and filler are inevitable, a lessening of impact.

wr8_utd

Thank you for all the reccos everyone. Will definitely pick one from them!

Revan

Assumptionman

Can second Tigana and Lions, both are excellent with Tigana being my favorite standalone fantasy book ever. I would also say that Kay has the best writing in the entire genre.

Bobski

Can second Tigana and Lions, both are excellent with Tigana being my favorite standalone fantasy book ever. I would also say that Kay has the best writing in the entire genre.
A little surprised that Tigana has not been adapted for a TV series as yet, more of a historical drama with subtle fantastical elements so crossover appeal. Also the core themes seem like they would resonate strongly in these times.

Kay's writing is beautiful, though I am glad he toned it down after Finovar, a little overwrought for my taste.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A little surprised that Tigana has not been adapted for a TV series as yet, more of a historical drama with subtle fantastical elements so crossover appeal. Also the core themes seem like they would resonate strongly in these times.

Kay's writing is beautiful, though I am glad he toned it down after Finovar, a little overwrought for my taste.
I had never heard of Tigana before it came up recently in this thread. Only about a quarter of the way hrough and I am really liking it. It is giving me some Gentlemen Bastards vibes, for now as that may change, which is always a huge plus in my book.

celia

I would say a faithful TV adaptation has a high chance to be ripped to shreds for the role of the women.

I still can't get over the way people sacrifice their entire family for the name of a place. Overall, It feels the human lives weren't really important compared to honor, shame and names.