Books Fantasy Reads

AgentP

Thanks guys.

Now would be a good time to recommend me something else, then. Seeing as I thought that was supposed to be the best book this side of ASOIAF.
If you want a series that has been completed, I would recommend the Mistborn series. If you are ok with waiting a couple of years for each book, then go for the Stormlight Archives. 3 books are out already and you can expect 7 more. Brandon Sanderson is the author of both these books. He writes at an astonishing speed so we don't have to wait for too long for the subsequent books.

AgentP

Obviously! But, starting on the best series, will as you say make the other books less enjoyable. Better to incrementally increase the quality of the books you read, instead of peaking immediately, and then everything is downhill from there.
I tried really hard to get into this one. Read almost three books. But it somehow didn't click for me. I like books where the magic is well defined so you actually know what's happening. In Malazan, it's so complex that I just had to go with the flow and hope that I'd get an explanation later on. But when I still couldn't understand what was happening after three books, I just gave up.

I will definitely give Malazan another try though when I have some free time on my hands.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Don't really get the criticism of casting Rosamund Pike as Moiraine. Yes she is short but it really has no bearing on any plot points. And as regards hair colour surely that can be dyed if required. Lena Headey has black hair and she played Cersei without any difficulty.

I just hope that the characteristics of actors playing residents of certain nations are consistent. Couldnt care less if Domanis are depicted as Asians and Sheinarans are depicted as Hispanics as long as all Domanis are Asians and all Sheinarans are Hispanics.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Pike is a fine actress and she can definitely pull Moiraine's dutiful, bossy but also compassionate demeanor off. I am OK with minor changes from the original source, if the choice of actor does the character justice. And Pike, if given a script she can work with, she can be a very good Moiraine. Portman would be the ideal choice but i guess she isn't interested in committing herself to a long TV series and tbf her salary would probably skyrocket the show's budget.

Last edited:

harshad

Scout
Finished The Golden Compass #1 of His Dark Materials

Was always avoiding it thinking it was a children's book but after watching the trailer for the upcoming show decided to get into it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading it. While the story is mostly from the perspective of a young girl, there seems to be a lot that is happening in the background. Will be interesting to read how it all pans out.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
This is my completed list for 2019 till date:

Fantasy:

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar Trilogy by Tad Williams)
Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar Trilogy by Tad Williams)
Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar Trilogy by Tad Williams)

The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles by Michael J Sullivan)
The Rose and the Thorn (Riyria Chronicles by Michael J Sullivan)
The Death of Dulgath (Riyria Chronicles by Michael J Sullivan)
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter Riyria Chronicles by Michael J Sullivan)

Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy trilogy by Ian C Esselmont)

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence)
Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence)
Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence)

The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny by Cameron Johnston)

The Heir of Eyria - Osku Alanen

Kings of the Wyld (The Band by Nicholas Eames)

The Copper Promise (Jen Williams)

Sci-Fi:

Consider Phlebas - Iain M Banks
Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart - Steven Erikson
Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse series by James Corey)

Superhero:

Fid's Crusade (Chronicles of the Fid by David H Reiss)
Behind Distant Stars (Chronicles of the Fid by David H Reiss)
Starfall (Chronicles of the Fid by David H Reiss)

Big In Japan (Gailsone books by Casey Glanders)
Red Rook (Gailsone books by Casey Glanders)
Head of the Dragon (Gailsone books by Casey Glanders)

Soon I Will Be Invincible (Austin Grossman)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Crazy. You're finishing roughly 1 book a week.

-

Just finished Book of the Ancestor Trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed. For the first time since maybe finishing Assassins Fate I've genuinely cared about what happened to the characters.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
started Magician again, nearly half way through and what a fantastic read it still is

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock has always and will always be my favorite. That whole eternal champion thing was very mind blowing when it came out

Art Vandelay

I've finally gotten around to finishing Lord of Chaos. The ending was fantastic, but the journey there was one hell of a mixed bag of excellence, utter shite and just plain weirdness.

To me it's a book that really needed an editor to tell him to cut it the hell down. There's no need to describe everything everyone is wearing, there's no need for so many characters to get described then never mentioned again or mentioned again yet having no significance at all and stop going on about the fecking Aiel!! He went full Karen Traviss Mandalorians with them, people starting to think like Aiel, Aiel never being wrong, everyone fearing them because they are the best fighters and the best at everything. They can run as fast as a horse all day and even Aes Sedai are made to look like silly children compared to the Wise Ones. It got beyond ridiculous very early on and never let up. Even after reading all of that about them, I don't understand them really or what the point of them is. Possibly because he went on so much that I barely paid attention by the end.

There's also a very weird sexuality going on, like it wants to be dirty but can't quite fully embrace it. The bit where Perrin is staring at his mother in law's massive tits was particularly odd. The giant city wide orgie where the tits were on full display was also a bit odd. Maybe because you read most of the book from Two Rivers and their stout views on such things it feels a bit jarring when it comes up. He was definitely a boob man. Most interactions between men and women were awkward. Especially the Perrin/Faile/Berelain stuff which just got ridiculous towards the end, like a comedy that wasn't working.

Maybe I'm just thick, but I had a hard time keeping track of all the Aes Sedai and Aiel. There's just too many of them that have very small roles and are a bit too similar. The only other time I had such issues was all the Sers in later ASOIAF books. It doesn't help that almost every woman is a stubborn thundering dickhead that can't stop sniffing at people while arranging their clothing. Except Siuan, I like her in lieu of Moiraine.

When it gets going though it's great. When the plot is moving forward, when schemes are in motion and things coming together it is fantastic. I wanted more interaction with Taim as that dynamic was quite interesting, but there's no way to squeeze Aiel into that arch so why would anyone want to waste time on that?

I have a preview of The Winter Road by Adrien Selby, which I'll give a try tonight before I read breakdowns of books 7-10.

Bobski

I've finally gotten around to finishing Lord of Chaos. The ending was fantastic, but the journey there was one hell of a mixed bag of excellence, utter shite and just plain weirdness.

To me it's a book that really needed an editor to tell him to cut it the hell down. There's no need to describe everything everyone is wearing, there's no need for so many characters to get described then never mentioned again or mentioned again yet having no significance at all and stop going on about the fecking Aiel!! He went full Karen Traviss Mandalorians with them, people starting to think like Aiel, Aiel never being wrong, everyone fearing them because they are the best fighters and the best at everything. They can run as fast as a horse all day and even Aes Sedai are made to look like silly children compared to the Wise Ones. It got beyond ridiculous very early on and never let up. Even after reading all of that about them, I don't understand them really or what the point of them is. Possibly because he went on so much that I barely paid attention by the end.

There's also a very weird sexuality going on, like it wants to be dirty but can't quite fully embrace it. The bit where Perrin is staring at his mother in law's massive tits was particularly odd. The giant city wide orgie where the tits were on full display was also a bit odd. Maybe because you read most of the book from Two Rivers and their stout views on such things it feels a bit jarring when it comes up. He was definitely a boob man. Most interactions between men and women were awkward. Especially the Perrin/Faile/Berelain stuff which just got ridiculous towards the end, like a comedy that wasn't working.

Maybe I'm just thick, but I had a hard time keeping track of all the Aes Sedai and Aiel. There's just too many of them that have very small roles and are a bit too similar. The only other time I had such issues was all the Sers in later ASOIAF books. It doesn't help that almost every woman is a stubborn thundering dickhead that can't stop sniffing at people while arranging their clothing. Except Siuan, I like her in lieu of Moiraine.

When it gets going though it's great. When the plot is moving forward, when schemes are in motion and things coming together it is fantastic. I wanted more interaction with Taim as that dynamic was quite interesting, but there's no way to squeeze Aiel into that arch so why would anyone want to waste time on that?

I have a preview of The Winter Road by Adrien Selby, which I'll give a try tonight before I read breakdowns of books 7-10.
WOT in a nutshell really. You touch on it with the Aiel but he really grew infatuated with his characters and world and it led to the bloat that turns so many off. At the core of the story(once you get beyond the LOTR re-reun of the first book) you have something rather special, with some stunning moments.

I love it for all its flaws, perhaps the adaptation will bring a leaner version that allows it to shine.

Mark Pawelek

Dying Earth, by Jack Vance. Fairly short satirical sword & sorcery novel set on far-future earth. Ancient, written in mid-1950s for a laugh.
Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers. Time travel fantasy set mostly in Napoleonic War London. From 1980s.
These are the 2 best books I've read by those guys, who are both pretty accomplished writers.

Art Vandelay

WOT in a nutshell really. You touch on it with the Aiel but he really grew infatuated with his characters and world and it led to the bloat that turns so many off. At the core of the story(once you get beyond the LOTR re-reun of the first book) you have something rather special, with some stunning moments.

I love it for all its flaws, perhaps the adaptation will bring a leaner version that allows it to shine.
Yeah there's a brilliant book in there, it's just wrapped up in so much faffing about and needless nonsense. I like a good description don't get me wrong, but he got sucked into describing everything and everyone then decided the Aiel were the best thing ever and he had to describe every detail about them. I don't even blame him, he wrote what he wanted to write, it was really up to his editors to cut a lot of that needless waffle out to let the story flow. The previous 5 books weren't as bad for it, it seemed to get a lot worse in this one.

I've started The Stolen Sword by Michael J. Sullivan, I think it's part of The Chronicles of Riyria or something along those lines. I've had it on my Kindle for a while, promising start.

DMacgraw

I've started The Stolen Sword by Michael J. Sullivan, I think it's part of The Chronicles of Riyria or something along those lines. I've had it on my Kindle for a while, promising start.
Would that be 'Theft of Swords' or a different new book?

Fingeredmouse

Yeah there's a brilliant book in there, it's just wrapped up in so much faffing about and needless nonsense. I like a good description don't get me wrong, but he got sucked into describing everything and everyone then decided the Aiel were the best thing ever and he had to describe every detail about them. I don't even blame him, he wrote what he wanted to write, it was really up to his editors to cut a lot of that needless waffle out to let the story flow. The previous 5 books weren't as bad for it, it seemed to get a lot worse in this one.

That's what happens when you marry your editor.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Here Be Dragons
- David P MacPherson

As good as any of Terry Pratchett and that's not something I'd say easily.

A extremely intelligent and funny roller coaster of a novel, that'll hook you from page 1 and won't let you leave till the finish. Action, adventure ever mixed with humor fills the pages, making a fantastic read.

It turns all usual fantasy tropes on its head and you find yourself just letting go and enjoying the ride.

Definitely recommended.

9/10

Art Vandelay

That's what happens when you marry your editor.
She probably tried to tell him to cut stuff by tugging her braid and raising her chin furiously. Then she gave up because men are impossible.

I'm almost halfway through Theft of Swords and it's been excellent so far. Nothing majorly complicated or complex, but a bit of a whodunnit going on for the most part mixed with a fair bit of adventuring yet very little action. I'm not sure if it's truly that good or if it's just that after Lord of Chaos anything where the plot actually bothers to advance seems like a wild ride.

DMacgraw

Following the lead by @Edgar Allan Pillow above, I present a list of the fantasy books I've read so far in 2019. As I tend to select what to read next from the discussions on this thread and on Reddit, I think @EAP's idea may throw up more leads in the what to read next decision we all make from time to time. So, here goes: my 2019 list, in reading order.

Ben Aaronovich, Rivers of London Series, Urban Fantasy, new read.
The Hangin Tree (2016)
The Furthest Station (2017); novella
Lies Sleeping (2018)
A Rare Book of Cunning Device; short story, Audible only edition

Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher Series, Epic Fantasy, new read.
Sword of Destiny (1992)
The Last Wish (1993)
Blood of Elves (1994)
Time of Contempt (1995)
Baptism of Fire (1996)
The Rower of Swallows (1997)
The Lady of the Lake (1998)

Charles Stross, The Laundry Files, Urban Fantasy, new read.
The Atrocity Archives (2004)
The Jennifer Morgue (2006)
Down in the Farm (2008); novella
Overtime (2009); novella
The Fuller Memorandum (2010)
The Apocalypse Codex (2012)
Equoid (2013); novella
The Rhesus Chart (2014)
The Annihilation Score (2015)
The Nightmare Stacks (2016)
The Delirium Brief (2017)
The Labyrinth Index (2018)

Benedict Jacka, The Alex Verus Series, Urban Fantasy, re-read.
Cursed (2012)
Fated (2012)
Taken (2012)
Chosen (2013)
Hidden (2014)
Veiled (2015)
Burned (2016)
Bound (2017)
Marked (2018)

Richard Kadrey, The Sandman Slim Series, Urban Fantasy, new read.
Sandman Slim (2009)
Kill The Dead (2010)
Aloha From Hell (2011)
Devil in the Dollhouse (2012); short story
Devil Said Bang (2012)
Kill City Blues (2013)
The Getaway God (2014)
Killing Pretty (2015)
The Perdition Score (2016)
The Kill Society (2017)
Hollywood Dead (2018)

Seanan McGuire, The October Daye Series, Urban Fantasy, new read - currently halfway through the 8th book in the series
Rosemary and Rue (2009)
A Local Habitation (2010)
An Artificial Night (2010)
Local Eclipses (2011)
One Salt Sea (2011)
Ashes of Honor (2012)
Chimes at Midnight (2013)
The Winter Long (2014)

My next series after October Daye would likely be The Book of Babel series by Josiah Bancroft - take a rest from urban fantasy for a bit.

celia

Finished Shadow by K.J. Parker (an amnesic character that accepted to pretend to be a god), as usual a surprising reading but I was not invested enough with the MC so I feel I can skip the rest of the trilogy.

Also finished Sorcery of Thorns a YA fantasy that reminds me a little of Howl's moving castle but I didn't like the book, not sure why, except the way to solve the problem at the end is too obvious so a complete letdown.

I have started Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft, it is a slow beginning so I can still pick another book.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@DMacgraw Great list.

I read the Rivers of London. Liked them, but the lack of pace in moving the overarching plot makes me weary. Author seems to have lost in the details and lots of unnecessary romance.

I've also read Fated (Alex Verus) which I actually liked, but then I had no idea why I never picked up the series. Needs some looking into. Is the series good all through?

Which of the other urbank fantasy books was impressive? Any recommendations?

Not sure if you've read but Nightside (Simon R Green) is decent UF.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw Great list.

I read the Rivers of London. Liked them, but the lack of pace in moving the overarching plot makes me weary. Author seems to have lost in the details and lots of unnecessary romance.
The Rivers of London series is decent. I liked it and would continue to read future additions, though the series has slowed down as you said. The romance you considered unnecessary was terminated at the end of the last book.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw

I've also read Fated (Alex Verus) which I actually liked, but then I had no idea why I never picked up the series. Needs some looking into. Is the series good all through?
The best urban fantasy series, by a wide margin in my opinion, is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. But my second favourite is the Alex Verus series. It is the only UF series other than Dresden I've thought worthy of a re-read.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw

Not sure if you've read but Nightside (Simon R Green) is decent UF.
I've not yet read Nightside. You mentioned it to me many months ago, and I got the impression then that it is very similar to Sandman Slim. But that may just be a mistaken impression. Wikipedia suggests that three separate series by Green, Nightside, Hawk & Fisher, and Deathstalker may be interrelated. That's a huge number of books to read. I'll get to it eventually, I'm sure.:D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The Rivers of London series is decent. I liked it and would continue to read future additions, though the series has slowed down as you said. The romance you considered unnecessary was terminated at the end of the last book.
Hmm, thought he was banging the river tributary God chick. No? Been ages since I read that.

If you have not read The Dresden Files, it would be my must-read, #1 recommendation.
My favorite too. Peace Talks has been in the pipeline way too long.

DMacgraw

Hmm, thought he was banging the river tributary God chick. No? Been ages since I read that.
Yes, that's the one. At the end of The Hanging Tree her eldest sister (the one who dislikes him) invited him for a chat and made clear to him that his river god is well nigh immortal while he will age, and the complications that could arise from that. Later, in his thoughts, he made it clear that for him the relationship is over.

Edit: I was mis-remembering, it seems. I re-checked and the relationship continued in the latest book, Lies Sleeping (2018). My bad.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Can someone convince me to go back to reading the Final Empire.

Before Xmas I got about a 3rd into it and stopped as it wasn't gripping me. I tried again a couple of weeks ago, read a few more chapters, it was okay, but I still didn't feel I wanted to carry on with it. Can't put my finger on quite what it is that is making me find it so meh.

I've also heard the next two books aren't that great (I bought all three for £1 each when Amazon had them on sale).

Is it worth sticking with?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

It's a bit of raw work, but the wold building is fantastic. Certain characters also come across well, whilst other fade into the woodwork. But overall, I liked them and the first book was the best.

If you can't get into the first book, then certainly rest won't hold your interest. My suggestion would be to complete book 1 at least.

Last edited:

harshad

Scout

Before Xmas I got about a 3rd into it and stopped as it wasn't gripping me. I tried again a couple of weeks ago, read a few more chapters, it was okay, but I still didn't feel I wanted to carry on with it. Can't put my finger on quite what it is that is making me find it so meh.

I've also heard the next two books aren't that great (I bought all three for £1 each when Amazon had them on sale).

The Mistborn Series is awesome. Would suggest finishing the first book as EAP said and thereafter decide if you want to read the other books.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Past Tense - Lee Child

Latest in Jack Reacher novels and one of the worst to boot. Uninspiring and predictable plot, no surprises and inane writing to boot. Pave is dead slow, few action scenes...can't really think of anything positive about this book.

1/10