Books Fantasy Reads

Revan

Assumptionman
Halfway through Name of the Wind. It's pretty fecking good.
It's fecking awesome. One of the best novels I have read. Kvothe and Denna both are great characters and their 'relationship' is great too.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It's fecking awesome. One of the best novels I have read. Kvothe and Denna both are great characters and their 'relationship' is great too.
I love the various subjects at the University. The 'magic' if you can call it that is very science-based, which is interesting and makes it seem more realistic than conjuring fire out of nowhere. Not really sold on Denna though. Kvothe is awesome although I keep pronouncing it Kee-vothe. There were some genuinely laugh out loud moments like:

“Rian, would you please cross your legs? ...
“Now that the gates of hell are closed,” Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. “We can begin.”

Revan

Assumptionman
I love the various subjects at the University. The 'magic' if you can call it that is very science-based, which is interesting and makes it seem more realistic than conjuring fire out of nowhere. Not really sold on Denna though. Kvothe is awesome although I keep pronouncing it Kee-vothe. There were some genuinely laugh out loud moments like:

“Rian, would you please cross your legs? ...
“Now that the gates of hell are closed,” Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. “We can begin.”

Denna is a virgin whore, but I liked her very much. Kvothe is amazing, one of the best protagonists ever. I really loved their fecked up platonian romance, and that was the best part of the book for me. Have you noticed how they talk always on rhymes?

Yeah, sympathy is much more realistic than the usual magic of the other fantasy worlds, but even here we have 'real' magic.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
Having just finished the Wheel of Time series, I'd say it's not really worth the time. It's an immersive world but the story just progresses at such an agonizingly slow pace. There are digressions that don't really make sense, and WAY too many characters. I don't think that Jordan really had a very detailed idea of where his story would take him when he sat out to write. The writing is very basic and you'll grow annoyed at the Very Many Fantasy Capitalizations and the abundance of crossed arms under breasts. The character descriptions are always identical: the colour of dress, the snugness of bodice to accentuate the boobage, the hair and the DISAPPROVING STARE on every single female character.

But then again.. I finished the series, so there's something there.

The first 3 books and the last book are great. Book 8-10 are utterly pointless.

Scott Lynch has written a series called "The Lies of Locke Lamora" which Iäm reading right now. It's entertaining!

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I've started reading it again and I remember now why I stopped reading it in the first place. The intro is so freaking long! Seriously, you spend like 4 chapters in the inn. At what point does it start to pick up?
The part before Kvothe starts telling his story is skippable if you've already read through the book. It's just pretty much chitchat and them getting attacked by a demon spider. That's it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The part before Kvothe starts telling his story is skippable if you've already read through the book. It's just pretty much chitchat and them getting attacked by a demon spider. That's it.

It's a pretty important frame for the story, well likely will be.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It's a pretty important frame for the story, well likely will be.
Yeah but Twigg has already read the book once before so I'm sure he remembers Chronicler, Bast etc.

Starting Wise Man's Fear now, and I've gone ahead and ordered physical copies of the books, which I only do for books I really, really like.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Glad you're enjoying it Mel_F, I love the series - it's my favourite.

I can't objectively say it's the best by any means, but it's very good for sure and my personal favourite. More people need to read it; somebody should go and infiltrate the ASOIAF thread with all things Kvothe.

I think Twigg has read the start before but only got some way in, right? Twigg, the intro is long and a slow start you're right - but it serves the book well overall, I imagine it will all become even more important once the book ends
the chest in his room for one, how he came to mentor Bast another

The second book isn't as consistently good as Name of the Wind for sure, but it's still awesome. There are just a couple of questionable bits which drag..
searching the forests
or are ridiculous
Felurian.
Unfortunately the two come together, but otherwise, it was just more awesomeness.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah but Twigg has already read the book once before so I'm sure he remembers Chronicler, Bast etc.

Starting Wise Man's Fear now, and I've gone ahead and ordered physical copies of the books, which I only do for books I really, really like.

Good girl :D I didn't like it as much as Name of The Wind, but it is still a very good book. It has some monotonous parts though.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Successfully converted my sister into a Rothfuss fan :D She wasn't too keen on starting a new series but I forced her to read it. She proceeded to finish the first book in 3 days :lol: She's starting the second now.

Dante

Average bang
I'm planning on starting the Mistborn books soon, so looking forward to that. I don't want to start The Kingkiller Chronicle until the final book is close to completion because I know I'll hate the wait.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
Just finished The Name of the Wind today - what a good read! I had my issues with how that style of narrative would keep me entertained (I'm never a fan of flashbacks or anything similar in books) but it had me hooked immediately.

It's left me with an intense dislike of Denna though. Bloody cow she is. Can't wait to start reading Wise Mans Fear. Any ideas on when the 3rd book is due out - all I've heard is early 2014.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished The Name of the Wind today - what a good read! I had my issues with how that style of narrative would keep me entertained (I'm never a fan of flashbacks or anything similar in books) but it had me hooked immediately.

It's left me with an intense dislike of Denna though. Bloody cow she is. Can't wait to start reading Wise Mans Fear. Any ideas on when the 3rd book is due out - all I've heard is early 2014.
Why, just why? I really think that I wouldn't have enjoyed the books near as much if it wasn't for her.

There isn't a date about the final book of the trilogy. I read that the book is pretty much finished but Rothfuss isn't entirely happy with that so he's looking to improve that and it is not rushing things. Similar to George R.R. Martin case, Rothfuss cares more about the quality of the book than how fast he'll write it. I think that he wrote The Name of The Wind for around 2 decades or so. It is annoying for us fans but in the end, a million times better than rushing things and the book to not be great.

Waldner

Why, just why? I really think that I wouldn't have enjoyed the books near as much if it wasn't for her.

There isn't a date about the final book of the trilogy. I read that the book is pretty much finished but Rothfuss isn't entirely happy with that so he's looking to improve that and it is not rushing things. Similar to George R.R. Martin case, Rothfuss cares more about the quality of the book than how fast he'll write it. I think that he wrote The Name of The Wind for around 2 decades or so. It is annoying for us fans but in the end, a million times better than rushing things and the book to not be great.

She's a well written character, don't get me wrong, it's just a dislike of that sort of person. I have no idea if her obvious troubled past is revealed more in Wise Man's Fear but currently her (presumably, it was hinted) whoring herself out to rich, young men irks me. I also think the moments of the book with her in it run slower - my favourite bits are actually when they're in the inn in the present. Intrigued about what Bast is, and what the spider thing was.

I didn't mean for the book to be rushed, I just wondered if there was any news about a date is all. :)

Revan

Assumptionman
She's a well written character, don't get me wrong, it's just a dislike of that sort of person. I have no idea if her obvious troubled past is revealed more in Wise Man's Fear but currently her (presumably, it was hinted) whoring herself out to rich, young men irks me. I also think the moments of the book with her in it run slower - my favourite bits are actually when they're in the inn in the present. Intrigued about what Bast is, and what the spider thing was.

I didn't mean for the book to be rushed, I just wondered if there was any news about a date is all. :)
It's more dating and being in rich's people company than being a whore. I caled her on an anothe post here 'a virgin whore' :lol:

Waldner

It's more dating and being in rich's people company than being a whore. I caled her on an anothe post here 'a virgin whore' :lol:

I'm certain towards the end of Name of the Wind it says something like 'men who have known her lips, have felt her touch' or something - I took that to mean she'd been shagging them all, maybe not. Need to read the second book!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I just finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It's the first book of his I've read and I'll be getting American Gods soon after I finish my Putin biography. I try to spice up my reading with the occasional non-fiction, but I had to take a break and read something else half-way through. :lol:

Count Orduck

FAO anyone that's read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. I tried it years ago and hated it but I've got back into it recently and I'm hooked. I've got about two-hundred pages left to go of Midnight Tides, but I've been told that I should interject Esslemont's books into the series, with Night of Knives being read after I've finished Midnight Tides.

Is that correct? Or can I safely just read Erikson's novels and ignore Esslemont's, then go back and read Esslemont's afterwards if I want? Will I miss out on a lot if I don't read them together? The fact that they share a universe and characters, but aren't technically part of the same series is really confusing to me in terms of trying to work out what order to read things in!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Anyone read Lies of Locke Lamora? I've been thinking about that eventually.

Alock1

Anyone read Lies of Locke Lamora? I've been thinking about that eventually.
I've read half and really enjoyed it.. I know it's not a glowing recommendation that I stopped, but it wasn't down to the quality of the book just being so busy with other things.

Entertaining stuff.

Waldner

Just finished Wise Mans Fear. Longest book I've ever read but I have to say I didn't one bit of it truly boring.

The bit with Felurian dragged on for a while, admittedly, but I was so immersed in the rest of it that I didn't really noticed. I was so pleased when he got back to the university towards the end - Wil and Sim are my two favourite characters. It's almost I'm setting myself up for a fall I know is going to come - I want Kvothe to go and do really well for himself, yet I know it's all going to end in tears.

Have a few theories for things coming in the next book but really and truly I don't have a clue what to expect!

Last edited:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Just finished Wise Mans Fear. Longest book I've ever read but I have to say I didn't one bit of it truly boring. The bit with Felurian dragged on for a while, admittedly, but I was so immersed in the rest of it that I didn't really noticed. I was so pleased when he got back to the university towards the end - Wil and Sim are my two favourite characters. It's almost I'm setting myself up for a fall I know is going to come - I want Kvothe to go and do really well for himself, yet I know it's all going to end in tears.

Have a few theories for things coming in the next book but really and truly I don't have a clue what to expect!
How long did it take to read it, Waldner?

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Also, I'm about to finish the first Harry Potter book (for bit of light reading, it took me a couple of weeks), and there's a few others I've got on my phone that I want to read next, was just wondering what the caf thought I should read next:

Assassin's Apprentice
Ender's Game
Steelheart
Gardens of the Moon
Storm Front
The Crown Tower
Mistborn
The False Prince
Eye of the World
The Emperor's Soul
The Killing Moon
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Alock1

Just finished Wise Mans Fear. Longest book I've ever read but I have to say I didn't one bit of it truly boring. The bit with Felurian dragged on for a while, admittedly, but I was so immersed in the rest of it that I didn't really noticed. I was so pleased when he got back to the university towards the end - Wil and Sim are my two favourite characters. It's almost I'm setting myself up for a fall I know is going to come - I want Kvothe to go and do really well for himself, yet I know it's all going to end in tears.

It's awesome isn't it. You might want to spoiler bits of your post though (where he ends up at the end of the book). For those of you who have finish Wise Mans Fear...

Do we think that the third book can finish the series like intended? The guy is still at the University; granted, we don't know how old he is - probably still quite young, but I expect a huge amount to happen until now. Secondly, we know that present day Kote hasn't yet killed the Chandrian - they're still out there, and in his current state - the story seems far from finished.

Waldner, me and @Revan had a few conversations on theories and thoughts earlier in the thread if you check back. They'll be hidden in spoilers most likely.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's awesome isn't it. You might want to spoiler bits of your post though (where he ends up at the end of the book). For those of you who have finish Wise Mans Fear...

Do we think that the third book can finish the series like intended? The guy is still at the University; granted, we don't know how old he is - probably still quite young, but I expect a huge amount to happen until now. Secondly, we know that present day Kote hasn't yet killed the Chandrian - they're still out there, and in his current state - the story seems far from finished.

Waldner, me and @Revan had a few conversations on theories and thoughts earlier in the thread if you check back. They'll be hidden in spoilers most likely.
Kvothe even in the inn is young, probably in his early twenties. So, I think he is 3-5 years older than when the second book finished.

I expect the third book to finish with Kvothe somehow losing his powes for whatever reasons (most likely somehow linked with Denna) but the saga will likely continue. Chandrian are still alive, as you said.

celia

Also, I'm about to finish the first Harry Potter book (for bit of light reading, it took me a couple of weeks), and there's a few others I've got on my phone that I want to read next, was just wondering what the caf thought I should read next:

Assassin's Apprentice
Ender's Game
Steelheart
Gardens of the Moon
Storm Front
The Crown Tower
Mistborn
The False Prince
Eye of the World
The Emperor's Soul
The Killing Moon
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

I read every title of this list except The Crown Tower (only read the Crown conspiracy)
I would suggest Ender's game or Mistborn (Steelheart is more like a lighter Mistborn and superhero story, so in doubt it's probably better to read the better story without being kind of spoiled). Keep the Emperor's soul if you want a short reading and The False Prince or Storm Front for a light reading. With Assassin's Apprentice, Gardens of the Moon and Eye of the World, I had to focus more because they are quite slow and long. Jemisin's books are interesting but I didn't think they were awesome or amazing like some of the other titles in this list... but maybe it was because I expected too much of them.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I read every title of this list except The Crown Tower (only read the Crown conspiracy)
I would suggest Ender's game or Mistborn (Steelheart is more like a lighter Mistborn and superhero story, so in doubt it's probably better to read the better story without being kind of spoiled). Keep the Emperor's soul if you want a short reading and The False Prince or Storm Front for a light reading. With Assassin's Apprentice, Gardens of the Moon and Eye of the World, I had to focus more because they are quite slow and long. Jemisin's books are interesting but I didn't think they were awesome or amazing like some of the other titles in this list... but maybe it was because I expected too much of them.
Is Crown Conspiracy the first book of the series? I thought Crown Tower was. Is this series any good?

Cheers for the thoughts, I'll probably read Mistborn then.

celia

Crown Tower is the first book of prequel serie The Riyria Chronicles and the first one chronologically. Crown Conspiracy is the first one of The Riyria Revelations, and the first one in the publication order.

Goodreads said:
The Riyria Chronicles is a prequel series to The Riyria Revelations
which explores: the origin of the partnership between Royce and Hadrian, how Riyria was formed, and the adventures the two went on during the years prior to the events in The Riyria Revelations.

While you can read the books in either publication order (starting with Theft of Swords) or chronologically (starting with The Crown Tower) the author suggest publication order as you are introduced to the characters and world as originally intended. In addition, there are some subtle winks and nods for veterans of Revelations when reading Chronicles. These aren't major plot points just little extras for "those in the know."
Theft of Swords is the name of the omnibus edition of the first tome. It is made of book 1 and 2 (Crown conspiracy / Avempartha).

I have only read one book so I will let others give opinion about the serie.

Last edited:

Alock1

Has anybody read Way of Shadows, the first book of the Night Angel trilogy? Is it worth reading?
Yes.. its pretty good. Very good.

The other 2, less so. You could actually get away not reading those. Theyre not awful just not as good as the first.

Overall - good series, nothing special. Some awesome moments and interesting characters. Id recommend it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I finished American Gods last week. It was pretty good, tons of really interesting mythology and references, but there was something holding it back. I've seen a lot of people rave about it, but it fell short of being great. I don't want to go into why in case of spoilers though.

Just started Lies of Locke Lamora. I also preordered Skin Game for May. :drool:

Dante

Average bang
I'm with you on American Gods. It just felt a bit meh to me. Possibly because I'd been watching the TV series Supernatural for several years before reading it. The show pretty much just took the central conceit of AG and ran with it in large parts.