Books Fantasy Reads

Revan

Assumptionman
Patrick Rothfuss - the author of Name of The Wind and The Wise Men's Fear - unfortunately has been diagnostified with the George RR Martinianism sickness. That sickness sympthoms are that the author writes a shitload of things, but doesn't write what all people are interested most, the main story. After the short story he has written for Bast, now he is working on an entire novellas for Auri. That book will come on November.

So for those who are waiting for the final book on Kingkiller Chronicles, I guess that the wait will be longer than we though. Which isn't that great news, especially considering that that book and the sixth book on ASOIAF are the novels I am most interested on the newxt few years.

You can read the full article here:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2014/04/the-news-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

Why can't all writers be machines like Sanderson and write more than a book for 5 years?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Patrick Rothfuss - the author of Name of The Wind and The Wise Men's Fear - unfortunately has been diagnostified with the George RR Martinianism sickness. That sickness sympthoms are that the author writes a shitload of things, but doesn't write what all people are interested most, the main story. After the short story he has written for Bast, now he is working on an entire novellas for Auri. That book will come on November.

So for those who are waiting for the final book on Kingkiller Chronicles, I guess that the wait will be longer than we though. Which isn't that great news, especially considering that that book and the sixth book on ASOIAF are the novels I am most interested on the newxt few years.

You can read the full article here:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2014/04/the-news-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

Why can't all writers be machines like Sanderson and write more than a book for 5 years?
Well aren't you just a bear of a bad news. These slow authors are so frustrating.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
There's no way he's going to tie everything up in the 3rd book either.. the wait to end the series is going to be unbearable.

Revan

Assumptionman
There's no way he's going to tie everything up in the 3rd book either.. the wait to end the series is going to be unbearable.
The chronicles will finish in the third book (ie Kvothe telling his story to the chronicler). Likely the adventures of him will continue on an another trilogy. Will Dena survive the third book?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I haven't yet read Kingkiller. Is it as gripping as ASOIAF?

Same question with Wheel of Time. The 14(!) books put me off.

Alock1

The chronicles will finish in the third book (ie Kvothe telling his story to the chronicler). Likely the adventures of him will continue on an another trilogy. Will Dena survive the third book?
Well, she's alive right now isn't she? I feel like they say she's still about somewhere in the current day.

But yeah, I guess that's what he'll do. Feels a little cheap though, since the series will end with a ton of stuff unanswered and with no conclusion.

Revan

Assumptionman
I haven't yet read Kingkiller. Is it as gripping as ASOIAF?

Same question with Wheel of Time. The 14(!) books put me off.
They are very different. KIngkiller is more a personal story while ASOIAF is a much bigger story with many important characters. It is hard to compare really, and personally I liked ASOIAF (well, the first three books there) more than Kingkiller, but still it is excellent (especially the first one). The writting is really quality, easily on the level of ASOIAF.

Have yet to read Wheel of Time too. A bit afraid to start it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, she's alive right now isn't she? I feel like they say she's still about somewhere in the current day.

But yeah, I guess that's what he'll do. Feels a little cheap though, since the series will end with a ton of stuff unanswered and with no conclusion.
I don't know, don't remember that he mentioned here on the present time. One of my theories was that somehow he has killed here which has made him an emo and a noob.

I don't think it is cheap, I guess that's how he has planned from the beginning. However considering that the Chandrian is still alive, then I guess the story will be continued on another books when Kvothe will be the narrator himself. I think that Rothfuss has said that he has a lot of stories to tell for that world.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Read The Black Company by Glenn Cook. It's fantastic. It's a gritty, dark fantasy book and series about a mercenary company(the Black Company, obviously) that gets hired to take part in a war. It's one of my favorite books. The portrayal of characters is realistic and engaging.

Also, Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is very good. It's similar to the Black Company in terms of darkness. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay is very good. One series that I find very entertaining, which is not necessarily the type fantasy you've mentioned, is the Monster Hunters International series by Larry Correia. It's not very serious in terms of tone or depth but is funny, entertaining.

It's SciFi but necessary reading for any Fantasy/SciFi nerd: Dune.
Sorry for the bump, but Tigana is a great book. I really enjoyed the book.

Castia

I've never been a big reader but I picked up Name Of The Wind from IBooks earlier, I'll give it a go and see if I can get into it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished my current read. What should I read next: Goblet of Fire or Name of the Wind?
Name of The Wind is amazing, definitely on my top 10 books on any genre. Haven't read Goblet of Fire but you can't go wrong with Name of The Wind.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Skin Game, the newest Dresden Files book, is out today. :drool:

Now I just have to finish Way of Kings so I can start it. I had planned to drop it and read Skin Game, but it's gotten too good to stop right now.

daniel9988

So I have read Name Of The Wind, WOT, GOT, pretty much all of Brandon Sanderson's books, and quite a few more popular ones (Those that usually make the top 10 fantasy lists) around my local bookstore.

And right now, I'm sort of out of ideas on what to read next. I love coming-of-age, sword/sorcery type of books, with predominantly male lead characters (I just can't seem to enjoy reading main protagonists of the opposite sex, boobies?). Any caftards can recommend me a few gems?

I do like dark fantasy as well.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
So I have read Name Of The Wind, WOT, GOT, pretty much all of Brandon Sanderson's books, and quite a few more popular ones (Those that usually make the top 10 fantasy lists) around my local bookstore.

And right now, I'm sort of out of ideas on what to read next. I love coming-of-age, sword/sorcery type of books, with predominantly male lead characters (I just can't seem to enjoy reading main protagonists of the opposite sex, boobies?). Any caftards can recommend me a few gems?

Robin Hobb Farseer trilogy, fits the description perfectly.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Gentlemen Bastards series. Lies of Locke Lamora is fantastic. I haven't read the second yet.

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie is also great.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Three offbeat fantasy reads that may keep you engrossed.

Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is quite different and completely enjoyable.
Chronicles of the Raven - James Barclay is good if you like a bit of Dark Fantasy.
Johannes Cabal books by Jonathan L HowardBrilliant graveyard humour fantasy novels.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Michael Moorcock's got some very solid books. His style isn't always the greatest but his stories are usually very strong. Elric of Melniboné's series in particular.

King_Eric

Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia series. Especially the first 10 or so books are great. There's about 25 books though, but they read like a train.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Skin Game was awesome. If anyone else reads the Dresden Files books.

Revan

Assumptionman
Started (and finished the first part) of Mistborn: The Final Empire.

While the way of writting and the number of characters is nowhere near the quality and amount of the likes of ASOIAF and the Kingkiller Chronichles, still I am liking it soo far. It is a much easier read, not complex, with not that sophisticated dialogues and not hidden things, but very enjoyable.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Finished Kingkiller Chronicles.

Name of the Wind was a great read. Barely took me a couple of days to finish it and writing felt very smooth. The Wise man's fear was ok at best. The entire bandit part, felurian and the Admere training (well most of it) was a massive drag and towards the end I skimmed parts of it. Was a huge relief when he made it back to Imre.

Didn't like Denna at all. I kept on alternating between hating her outright and finding her very annoying. There's obviously something off about her that we don't know yet but as of now don't like her. Simmon is probably my favourite character closely followed by Devi, Elodin (awesome), Will and of course Kvothe. Bast is very intriguing as well, not sure what his last chapter in Wise Man's fear means.

Is this really going to finish in 1 book? By my reckoning he still has a lot to do and the Chandrian are still alive and well. Wouldn't surprise if there was a 4th book.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished the first book of Mistborn series. I started it yesterday on this time, so this is the fastest reading I have ever done.

Great book, very enjoyable. Not as complex, as deep or as well written as fantasy masterpieces, but still I loved it.

About Kelsier. While it was entirely predictable (very similar to Obi Wan - Luke relationship) it was done very good. On the other side, I couldn't see the identity of Lord Ruler until it was shown.

I guess that the second book will have to deal with the Deepness.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished the second Mistborn book. The ending was brilliant, fantastic twist.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished the third and final book on the first Mistborn trilogy. Thoughts for the entire trilogy.

Now, I know that I am a moaning twat but I didn't like the ending. Which is weird considering that the bittersweet endings are always my favorite endings, but here I hoped and expected that it will be a happy ending. Vin deserved such. However that doesn't mean that the ending wasn't good, it really was.

The Hero of Ages - As early on the first book I was thinking that actually the prophecy wasn't for the past, but it was for the time now. Didn't had any idea how that will be related though. At the beginning of the second book I started thinking that the hero won't be Vin but will be Sazed. Mainly because he was so determined to find the hero and was pretty much the only one who talked and studied it. He was a servant but knowing that Sanderson loves twists, I knew that on the end he'll be the hero. Of course, I didn't had ay idea that the hero is actually the new God.

Mists being the body of Preservation while atium being the body of Ruin was a great revelation. Didn't see it until it happened.

Ruin was a fantastic 'villain'. I think that since the beginning Sanderson planned that Ruin will actually be the main antagonist, while Lord Runner serves only to make some events happening.

I really liked Zane on the second book. He was such a tragic character. Looked a good man but spent his life being manipulated from his father, while in fact he was manipulated by Ruin all along. He even thought that he was insane while he was alright, just a dark God making him think so.

How awesome was Kelsier? Absolutely awesome. As the protagonist of the first book, he was great and was extremely cool.

Didn't liked that much Elend. He was alright but I found him very uninspiring on the first two books and couldn't never understand why Vin was in love with her. He eventually became a superhero but it looked to me a bit not natural. On some way, Sanderson made him a Kelsier-lite but didn't stand well with me.

Wasn't entirely happy how on the third book Lord Runner became from a villain into a hero. Despite the good things e had done, he still is a scum.

The irony. Alendi was the greatest man of his time and he would be happy to give the power to the world, which in turn meant that he would destroy the world. Got killed before he was able to do so. Rashek was an egoist selfish prick who decided to keep it for himself which gave the world 1000 stable years and delayed Ruin plans. Vin who was the greatest of her time decided to give the power to the world (sacrificing her husband) which in turn gave the world Ruin. Morale of the story: be selfish, it is better for you and also for the greater good.

The manipulation of people and Ruin's ultimate masterplan was incredible. Thousands of years of working the plan, corrupting even the best man (or woman like Vin). However, Preservatin plan was while crazy, even better. Ultimatelly Preservation won the battle of two Gods.

Despite not likeing Elend, I still felt sad when he was killed. Then I knew that Vin will die too and felt even more sad. They won, but like Kelsier they lost their lives doing so. I must only imagine how I'll feel when Daenerys & Jon (ASOIAF) and Denna (Kingkiller) will die (of course speculation, but I expect it to happen).

Sazed will make an awesome God. He was by far the best person on the group. Completely unselfish and always thinking for the greater good.

Did anyone ever cared for Spook?

Absolutely loved Vin. The best character on the books. Magnificient

Would love to see this becoming a TV show/trilogy but I don't know if it would be translated that well.

Last edited:

Alock1

Stormlight has 1 book of an intended 10 so there's no rush to read that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I bought that book ages ago, I think when I grabbed Name of the Wind.. sure I spoke about it in this thread. I still haven't read it, how is it so far?
Only 70 pages on the first book of the trilogy so far. More complex than most of fantasy books and it looks that like ASOIAF it is more based on politics and characters rather than the magic and system. Early to give a definitive opinion but it looks more similar to ASOIAF rather than Mistborn/LOTR/Kingkiller.

However not near as good as ASOIAF.