Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

1. After completing Fitz life and knowing the ending to how the characters from liveship turn out, is there much to gain, story wise or lore wise that i wouldnt already know?
I also initially approached the Liveship Traders trilogy with quite a bit of skepticism. But I found myself getting more and more into it as I read. As others have mentioned above, I now regard Liveship as the best trilogy in the series, and I have read all except the Rain Wild Chronicles.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Jim Butcher's highly-anticipated Dresden Files novel, Peace Talks, finally gets a release date, confirming that the sixteenth book of the #1 New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series will be out next year.

Ace Books has announced that Peace Talks will be published on July 14, 2020 from Ace Books in the US and Orbit in the UK. It will be the first new Dresden Files novel since 2014's Skin Game.
Yay!

@harshad

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So i'm finally getting around to reading A Little Hatred, currently 3/4 of the way through
(before leo vs stout duel)
and i have to say it's good to be back in the first law world :lol:

Oldyella

So i'm finally getting around to reading A Little Hatred, currently 3/4 of the way through
It really is. Cant wait to see where this trilogy takes us next.

Fosu-Mens

Listened to it... Great book. My personal opinion is that the narrator makes it a lot better. Steven Pacey's Arch Lector Glokta is pure class.

Ainu

I've just started reading the third book of the Licanius Trilogy, The Light Of All That Falls, which just released this month. I hope it's a good finisher. I more or less liked the first book but the second really overdid it with the flashbacks and visions for me. I'm too far along to abandon it now anyway.

Before this I read Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, the first book of the Commonwealth Saga. Fecking hell what an almighty slog that was! An interesting story drowned out by hundreds of pages of tedious descriptions. He has great ideas but man, his writing is ridiculously descriptive and it almost completely destroys the experience. I'm sufficiently interested in the rest of the story to brave the second book (eventually) but it could've been so much better if he cut at least half of the fluff.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I've just started reading the third book of the Licanius Trilogy, The Light Of All That Falls, which just released this month. I hope it's a good finisher. I more or less liked the first book but the second really overdid it with the flashbacks and visions for me. I'm too far along to abandon it now anyway.
Nice, me too. Have a tough time keeping the historical stuff straight as the names are so awkward, but otherwise like most of it. Will post thoughts in spoilers once done, so far am enjoying it, about a quarter through.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
and

Legend of Eli Monpress (3 books) - The Spirit Thief, The Spirit Rebellion, and The Spirit Eater

Revenge of Eli Monpress (2 books) - The Spirit War and Spirit's End

An immensely fun adventure series that's super enjoyable. The story follows the main cast of Eli (who wants to be the greatest thief in the world) and his crew Josef (a swordsman with mysterious past) and Nico (a demonseed) plus Miranda (a spiritualist tasked with catching Eli).

The magic system is unique and refreshing and first three books set the stage for the protagonists. We get introduced to the characters, the political dynamics and each book focuses on different main character (Eli, Miranda and Nico) in that order). There is some big picture hinted, but author keeps us waiting. Book 4 gives background on Josef and takes this into epic fantasy category and book 5 comes back to Eli for a grand finale.

Writing style is superb and author builds pace nicely and keeps it up all through the end. Each book is set in different part of the world and focuses on a different problem and so keeps things new and refreshing. Story is told in lighter vein with humor lacing the plot. Gets a bit darker in final two books, but still fabulous.

There are some obvious flaws as characters are introduced well and fall into character types we've seen before and don't get developed/matured as series goes. But still they are diverse and don't become a boring copy.

Overall a lovely read. If you are in mood for some swashbuckling fantasy adventure, dig in.

8/10

Beachryan

The Licanius Trilogy (The Shadow of What Was Lost / An Echo of Things to Come / The Light of All That Falls) - James Islington

Just finished these, had waited til the final book came out to start. Pretty solid, and reasonably consistent. Bit darker than Robert Jordan, but of that ilk. It's a well constructed story that has a clear vision of the end throughout and sticks the landing (looking at you GRRM!). I'd give it 7.5/10.

Thought Davian, Cadaen and Asha were well-written and all their parts would good. Couldn't get into Wirr at all for some reason. And clearly Aelric and Dezia were going to be in book 3, but he ran out of time I'm guessing? I clocked the conclusion about 2/3rds of the way through the final book, but it's still a neat way to tie it all together.

I really like that there isn't an answer, or confirmation of El/God. Reasonably brave.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Here's the complete list for 2019!

Currently Reading - City of Bones by Martha Wells
DNF - Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft

Fantasy:

01. Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy #3) - Ian C Esselmont
02. The Traitor God - Cameron Johnston
03. The Heir of Eyria - Osku Alanen
04. As Fire is to Gold - Mark McCabe
05. Death's Merchant - Justan Henner
06. Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames
07. Copper Promise - Jen Williams
08. Here be Dragons - David P Macpherson
09. The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers #1) - Jeffery Russell
10. Sword of Kaigen - ML Wang
11. Gideon the Ninth (Locked Tomb #1) - Tamsyn Muir

12. The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar #1) - Tad Williams
13. Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2) - Tad Williams
14. Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar #3 - Tad Williams

15. The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1) - Michael J Sullivan
16. The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2) - Michael J Sullivan
17. The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3) - Michael J Sullivan
18. The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4) - Michael J Sullivan
19. Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1-2) - Michael J Sullivan
20. Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations #3-4) - Michael J Sullivan
21. Heir of Novron (Riyria Revelations #5-6) - Michael J Sullivan
22. Age of Myth (Legends of First Empire #1) - Michael J Sullivan
23. Age of Swords (Legends of First Empire #2) - Michael J Sullivan
24. Age of War (Legends of First Empire #3) - Michael J Sullivan
25. Age of Legend (Legends of First Empire #4) - Michael J Sullivan

26. Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) - Mark Lawrence
27. Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor #2) - Mark Lawrence
28. Holy Sister - (Book of the Ancestor #3) - Mark Lawrence

29. Orconomics (Dark Profit saga #1) - J Zachary Pike
30. Son of Liche (Dark Profit saga #2) - J Zachary Pike

31. Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension #1) - Andrew Rowe
32. On Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension #2) - Andrew Rowe
33. Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders #1) - Andrew Rowe
34. Forging Divinity (War of Broken Mirrors #1) - Andrew Rowe
35. Stealing Sorcery (War of Broken Mirrors #2) - Andrew Rowe
36. Defying Destiny (War of Broken Mirrors #3) - Andrew Rowe

37. The Spirit Thief (Eli Monpress #1) - Rachel Aaron
38. The Spirit Rebellion (Eli Monpress #2) - Rachel Aaron
39. The Spirit Eater (Eli Monpress #3) - Rachel Aaron
40. The Spirit War (Eli Monpress #4) - Rachel Aaron
41. Spirit's End (Eli Monpress #5) - Rachel Aaron

Superhero

42. Soon I will be Invincible - Austin Grossman

43. Big in Japan (Gailsone #1) - Casey Glanders
44. Red Rook (Gailsone #2) - Casey Glanders
45. Head of the Dragon (Gailsone #3) - Casey Glanders

46. Fid's Crusade (Chronicles of the Fid #1) - David Reiss
47. Behind Distant Stars - (Chronicles of the Fid #2) - David Reiss
48. Starfall - (Chronicles of the Fid #3) - David Reiss

49. Vicious (Villains #1) - VE Schwab
50. Vengeful (Villains #2) - VE Schwab

Sci-Fi

51. Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse #8) - James SA Corey
52. Supremach's Shadow (Duelling Planets #1) - T Eric Bakutis
53. Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart - Steven Erikson
54. We are Legion We are Bob (Bobiverse #1) - Denis E Taylor
55. Remnant Population - Elizabeth Moon

56. Skyward (Skyward #1) - Brandon Sanderson
57. Starsight (Skyward #2) - Brandon Sanderson

58. All Systems Red (Murderbot #1) - Martha Wells
59. Artificial Condition (Murderbot #2) - Martha Wells
60. Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3) - Martha Wells
61. Exit Strategy (Murderbot #4) - Martha Wells

Fiction:

62. Past Tense (Jack Reacher #23) - Lee Child

Ainu

The Licanius Trilogy (The Shadow of What Was Lost / An Echo of Things to Come / The Light of All That Falls) - James Islington

Just finished these, had waited til the final book came out to start. Pretty solid, and reasonably consistent. Bit darker than Robert Jordan, but of that ilk. It's a well constructed story that has a clear vision of the end throughout and sticks the landing (looking at you GRRM!). I'd give it 7.5/10.

Thought Davian, Cadaen and Asha were well-written and all their parts would good. Couldn't get into Wirr at all for some reason. And clearly Aelric and Dezia were going to be in book 3, but he ran out of time I'm guessing? I clocked the conclusion about 2/3rds of the way through the final book, but it's still a neat way to tie it all together.

I really like that there isn't an answer, or confirmation of El/God. Reasonably brave.
My version (Kindle) had a clarification at the end that Dezia and Aelric's story will be released as a standalone version later on. The author decided it would make the book too long and probably destroy the pacing. Seems like the right decision. I did wonder if he simply abandoned their storyline before they suddenly popped up again. I had the same feeling about Karaliene's for a long time as well.

Beachryan

My version (Kindle) had a clarification at the end that Dezia and Aelric's story will be released as a standalone version later on. The author decided it would make the book too long and probably destroy the pacing. Seems like the right decision. I did wonder if he simply abandoned their storyline before they suddenly popped up again. I had the same feeling about Karaliene's for a long time as well.
Ah makes sense, cheers.

Art Vandelay

I'm about a third of the way into The Poppy War by RF Kuang. It's been pretty good so far if a bit cliched at times. It's basically like a fantasy version of China and their history of neighbourly relations. It's got kung fu and has been off to a promising start. I've been told it gets pretty dark and brutal after a certain point, but it's been mostly tame so far.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm about a third of the way into The Poppy War by RF Kuang. It's been pretty good so far if a bit cliched at times. It's basically like a fantasy version of China and their history of neighbourly relations. It's got kung fu and has been off to a promising start. I've been told it gets pretty dark and brutal after a certain point, but it's been mostly tame so far.
Yeah. It's been there on my radar for quite some time. Bleak and joyless, yet a very good book is how the reviews run. Have put if off for later.

celia

I am finally reading Fool's errand by Robin Hobb. It has a slow start.

Fosu-Mens

Here's the complete list for 2019!

Currently Reading - City of Bones by Martha Wells
DNF - Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft

Fantasy:

01. Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy #3) - Ian C Esselmont
02. The Traitor God - Cameron Johnston
03. The Heir of Eyria - Osku Alanen
04. As Fire is to Gold - Mark McCabe
05. Death's Merchant - Justan Henner
06. Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames
07. Copper Promise - Jen Williams
08. Here be Dragons - David P Macpherson
09. The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers #1) - Jeffery Russell
10. Sword of Kaigen - ML Wang
11. Gideon the Ninth (Locked Tomb #1) - Tamsyn Muir

12. The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar #1) - Tad Williams
13. Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2) - Tad Williams
14. Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar #3 - Tad Williams

15. The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1) - Michael J Sullivan
16. The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2) - Michael J Sullivan
17. The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3) - Michael J Sullivan
18. The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4) - Michael J Sullivan
19. Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1-2) - Michael J Sullivan
20. Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations #3-4) - Michael J Sullivan
21. Heir of Novron (Riyria Revelations #5-6) - Michael J Sullivan
22. Age of Myth (Legends of First Empire #1) - Michael J Sullivan
23. Age of Swords (Legends of First Empire #2) - Michael J Sullivan
24. Age of War (Legends of First Empire #3) - Michael J Sullivan
25. Age of Legend (Legends of First Empire #4) - Michael J Sullivan

26. Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) - Mark Lawrence
27. Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor #2) - Mark Lawrence
28. Holy Sister - (Book of the Ancestor #3) - Mark Lawrence

29. Orconomics (Dark Profit saga #1) - J Zachary Pike
30. Son of Liche (Dark Profit saga #2) - J Zachary Pike

31. Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension #1) - Andrew Rowe
32. On Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension #2) - Andrew Rowe
33. Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders #1) - Andrew Rowe
34. Forging Divinity (War of Broken Mirrors #1) - Andrew Rowe
35. Stealing Sorcery (War of Broken Mirrors #2) - Andrew Rowe
36. Defying Destiny (War of Broken Mirrors #3) - Andrew Rowe

37. The Spirit Thief (Eli Monpress #1) - Rachel Aaron
38. The Spirit Rebellion (Eli Monpress #2) - Rachel Aaron
39. The Spirit Eater (Eli Monpress #3) - Rachel Aaron
40. The Spirit War (Eli Monpress #4) - Rachel Aaron
41. Spirit's End (Eli Monpress #5) - Rachel Aaron

Superhero

42. Soon I will be Invincible - Austin Grossman

43. Big in Japan (Gailsone #1) - Casey Glanders
44. Red Rook (Gailsone #2) - Casey Glanders
45. Head of the Dragon (Gailsone #3) - Casey Glanders

46. Fid's Crusade (Chronicles of the Fid #1) - David Reiss
47. Behind Distant Stars - (Chronicles of the Fid #2) - David Reiss
48. Starfall - (Chronicles of the Fid #3) - David Reiss

49. Vicious (Villains #1) - VE Schwab
50. Vengeful (Villains #2) - VE Schwab

Sci-Fi

51. Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse #8) - James SA Corey
52. Supremach's Shadow (Duelling Planets #1) - T Eric Bakutis
53. Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart - Steven Erikson
54. We are Legion We are Bob (Bobiverse #1) - Denis E Taylor
55. Remnant Population - Elizabeth Moon

56. Skyward (Skyward #1) - Brandon Sanderson
57. Starsight (Skyward #2) - Brandon Sanderson

58. All Systems Red (Murderbot #1) - Martha Wells
59. Artificial Condition (Murderbot #2) - Martha Wells
60. Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3) - Martha Wells
61. Exit Strategy (Murderbot #4) - Martha Wells

Fiction:

62. Past Tense (Jack Reacher #23) - Lee Child
I wondered about reading Gideon the Ninth. Was it as good as the reviews portray it to be?
And how would you compare "War of the Broken Mirrors" to "Arcane Ascension"?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I wondered about reading Gideon the Ninth. Was it as good as the reviews portray it to be?
And how would you compare "War of the Broken Mirrors" to "Arcane Ascension"?
Gideon is different. The setting is quite new and book is like a whodunnit with necromancer's. I liked it and most I know who've read it liked it too. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

Arcane is more polished than Broken Mirrors. Broken Mirrors got better towards the last book but still. Arcane has some characters returning in a side role, but is a book of its own. It's like a videogame with dungeon (here tower levels) clearing and monsters but has a interesting macro plot. The dungeon parts get a bit repetitive but still a fine book.

Fosu-Mens

Gideon is different. The setting is quite new and book is like a whodunnit with necromancer's. I liked it and most I know who've read it liked it too. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

Arcane is more polished than Broken Mirrors. Broken Mirrors got better towards the last book but still. Arcane has some characters returning in a side role, but is a book of its own. It's like a videogame with dungeon (here tower levels) clearing and monsters but has a interesting macro plot. The dungeon parts get a bit repetitive but still a fine book.
Ait. Will push Broken Mirrors far down the list of potential reads then.
While AA got some heavy LitRPG elements, it flowed a lot better compared to the likes of Chaos Seed.

Think i will try Manifest Delusions before starting with necromancy.

celia

Finished Fool's errand and immediately started the following book. I guess I will easily finish the trilogy before the year is over. Actually, the following cycle will be harder to read since it is said to not as good.

And then I suppose I should read the 3rd book of the Stormlight Archive if the 4rth is out this year. Or maybe not if the 5th is likely to be out in 2022 or 2023.

Art Vandelay

The Poppy War

That was excellent. Not sure I like things being about 98% from one person's perspective, but it worked in this instance. It's like an old kung fu film, meets fantasy, meets grim dark. Well the grim dark isn't as present as in Joe Abercrombies stuff, but when it gets dark it gets super dark. To point it gets uncomfortable, more so than Abercrombie. It's essentially one section that goes full on grim dark and feck me does she go for it. It's pretty horrific, but other than that one section it wasn't that bad, just people being dicks really and the odd genocide.

I do have some issues with it, like it being a bit off putting that all the heroes are teenagers/early 20's, how quickly they get so powerful and the power creep towards the end of the book. It all comes a bit too easy to them, despite the sacrifices some have to make. It threatens to go a bit Rey at times, but it never quite goes over the top with it. Some of them are so powerful by the end of the first book that I honestly don't know where they can go with it.

Other than that it's a good story told very well. A nice break from standard European fantasy while still managing to retain a lot of the classic elements. There's a lot of Chinese mythology in there and a lot of parallels to Chinese history. The author is clearly into her military history. Rin is an interesting main character even if she is a bit of a dick at times and a bit too good at things. It's left me intrigued about where it's going next and I'll definitely be getting the sequels.

9/10

celia

The horrific part comes a lot from the chinese history, partly the Nanjing Massacre or some other like Pearl Harbour. Also a lot japanese influences or others, especially Naruto. I was quite annoyed she borrowed so much from a Naruto character.

So I feel the second book is way better since either she made up more of the story or the borrowings weren't that obvious to me.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

I'm only vaguely aware of Naruto so I didn't pick up on that.The only anime's I really watch are Ninja Scroll and Goblin Slayer. Some of the leanings into China's relationship with it's neighbours was a bit heavy handed and on the nose though. I bought the second book, but not sure if I'll start it right away or read something else first.

I still need to finish Republic of Thieves, but I kind of don't care about the play, the politics or Sabetha so I lost interest and struggling with it.

celia

Well I have finished Golden Fool and Fool's Fate. I liked better the 2nd book of the trilogy. Really less the 3rd because the characters wondered a lot about something quite obvious.

Currently reading Les Furtifs by Alain Damasio. A SF novel, in a futuristic french city, a man hunts a weird animal that may explain the disappearance of his daughter.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hated the last book in the Lightbringer. Why every cnut thinks that he has to write a book of 1000+ pages (in this case 1500) just cause Jordan and GRRM did so occasionally. This was a great example of the book is long for the sake of being long. Essentially, I skipped most of it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Picked up Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan. Saw it in Goodreads and blurb was rad. Story about humans surviving a zombie apocalypse, but here the zombies are cows and other animals. Rabid squirrels and cows with glowing eyes. Supposed to be horror-comedy.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Six-Gun Tarot - R.S Belcher

Can best be described as weird fantasy as it has everything from gods and angels to gay mormons, chinese gangstas and mad scientists all set in Cowboy western town. Never read a book with such a mix before and oh boy, it was fascinating!

Not a big book and it takes time to set up the plot. But the world is fascinating so you don't mind taking the time to get the town and characters placed. Then as plot thickens and pace picks up you get a roller coaster ride to the finale.

Characters stay in your mind, and town is remarkable. Writing style is straining and to the point paining a stak picture of the town and it's residents. The timeline switches between events isn't really clearly but you can easily deduce that on your own.

My only grips is that I would have preferred for the plot to get more complex and a bit let down since everything just falls nicely into place at the end. A bit more machinations would have been superb.

Overall lovely book! Recommended.

DMacgraw

Hated the last book in the Lightbringer. Why every cnut thinks that he has to write a book of 1000+ pages (in this case 1500) just cause Jordan and GRRM did so occasionally. This was a great example of the book is long for the sake of being long. Essentially, I skipped most of it.
Just finished the Lightbringer saga from Brent Weeks. I thought the first 4 books in the saga set up the story very well, even though Weeks kept going back and forth with events that happened in the past so it was difficult to tell what was fact and what hallucination, and some of the dialogue (in particular, the banter among the Mighty) seemed rather crude and somewhat juvenile. Even so, I mostly enjoyed it as, for me, a good story is more important than the characters or the prose. Indeed, by the end of Book 4, I thought Lightbringer was superior to his Night Angel series, and I was wondering why the Lightbringer series never appears in any lists of the best Fantasy series.

And then I read Book 5 and saw why. What a disappointing way to wrap up the series! Book 5 seemed a thinly disguised sermon for his Christian faith, with long sections of boring preaching and philosophizing by various characters. What is worse, his resolution for the entire conflict was to have the creator (a being suspiciously like the Christian God) literally assume human form and personally fix the problems!!!!:annoyed::eek::houllier::nono: I've never seen a worse deus ex machina (in this case, literally) in any series. Too bad.

DMacgraw

Before Lightbringer I finished the 12-book Nightside series by Simon R Green. I found the series only mildly interesting, mainly because the magic system seemed too soft (no hard rules) to me and the protagonist somehow came up with the power to overcome every powered being who showed up, in exactly the same way*!. I found it hard to relate to any of the plastic one-dimensional characters in the series. 6/10.
*Every time Taylor met a powerful antagonist he only had to quote "open his third eye" unquote to find the source of the antagonist's power, and then quote "it was the easiest thing in the world to turn it off" unquote. And this was repeated, in those exact same words, at least once or twice in every book!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Nightside ain't bad. Agree with everything you say. It's like a book version of a Michael Bay movie...atleast earlier ones. Leave common sense and expectations at the cover and you won't be disappointed. Typical B grade potboiler fantasy. I liked it.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Just finished the Lightbringer saga from Brent Weeks. I thought the first 4 books in the saga set up the story very well, even though Weeks kept going back and forth with events that happened in the past so it was difficult to tell what was fact and what hallucination, and some of the dialogue (in particular, the banter among the Mighty) seemed rather crude and somewhat juvenile. Even so, I mostly enjoyed it as, for me, a good story is more important than the characters or the prose. Indeed, by the end of Book 4, I thought Lightbringer was superior to his Night Angel series, and I was wondering why the Lightbringer series never appears in any lists of the best Fantasy series.

And then I read Book 5 and saw why. What a disappointing way to wrap up the series! Book 5 seemed a thinly disguised sermon for his Christian faith, with long sections of boring preaching and philosophizing by various characters. What is worse, his resolution for the entire conflict was to have the creator (a being suspiciously like the Christian God) literally assume human form and personally fix the problems!!!!:annoyed::eek::houllier::nono: I've never seen a worse deus ex machina (in this case, literally) in any series. Too bad.
Agree Completely! Such a disappointing end.

I reread the The Dresden Files from Turn Coat onwards and man I love the series. Can't wait for Peace Talks to be published.

Beachryan

and

Legend of Eli Monpress (3 books) - The Spirit Thief, The Spirit Rebellion, and The Spirit Eater

Revenge of Eli Monpress (2 books) - The Spirit War and Spirit's End

An immensely fun adventure series that's super enjoyable. The story follows the main cast of Eli (who wants to be the greatest thief in the world) and his crew Josef (a swordsman with mysterious past) and Nico (a demonseed) plus Miranda (a spiritualist tasked with catching Eli).

The magic system is unique and refreshing and first three books set the stage for the protagonists. We get introduced to the characters, the political dynamics and each book focuses on different main character (Eli, Miranda and Nico) in that order). There is some big picture hinted, but author keeps us waiting. Book 4 gives background on Josef and takes this into epic fantasy category and book 5 comes back to Eli for a grand finale.

Writing style is superb and author builds pace nicely and keeps it up all through the end. Each book is set in different part of the world and focuses on a different problem and so keeps things new and refreshing. Story is told in lighter vein with humor lacing the plot. Gets a bit darker in final two books, but still fabulous.

There are some obvious flaws as characters are introduced well and fall into character types we've seen before and don't get developed/matured as series goes. But still they are diverse and don't become a boring copy.

Overall a lovely read. If you are in mood for some swashbuckling fantasy adventure, dig in.

8/10
Thanks for this, just polished these off and was really enjoyable. Ends up growing out of a reasonably modest first story into a huge scope, with really likeable characters.

Bit 'nice' but that was always the tone.

DMacgraw

Currently midway through Book 1 of the Licanius Trilogy. The Eli Monpress series is up next, already loaded in my tablet.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thanks for this, just polished these off and was really enjoyable. Ends up growing out of a reasonably modest first story into a huge scope, with really likeable characters.

Bit 'nice' but that was always the tone.
Yeah, it's a feel good book through and through. And I was delighted by the change in scope too. One of my best reads for last year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Three quarters of the way through Rivers of London and I'm really enjoying it so far. A very easy read that ticks along at a comfortable pace.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Never Die - Rob J Hayes

Wuxia fantasy is closest I can describe this. Like a written version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers and like. Quite simple plot-wise but the writing style just takes you along for the ride and you get regular vs people battles and vs monsters battles to spice things up. Book has a good flow and doesn't let pace sag.

Climax is quite unexpected. I didn't see that coming. Poignant, fitting...not sure how to describe it. But immensely enjoyable and leaves you with a fully satisfied feeling.

Definitely recommended!

Art Vandelay

Never Die - Rob J Hayes

Wuxia fantasy is closest I can describe this. Like a written version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers and like. Quite simple plot-wise but the writing style just takes you along for the ride and you get regular vs people battles and vs monsters battles to spice things up. Book has a good flow and doesn't let pace sag.

Climax is quite unexpected. I didn't see that coming. Poignant, fitting...not sure how to describe it. But immensely enjoyable and leaves you with a fully satisfied feeling.

Definitely recommended!
I like the sound of that. I'll add it to my stupidly huge reading list.

I just finished a zombie apocalypse book, but I'm so deep into the series that I can't remember the individual name. Part of The Remaining series by DJ Molles which I very much enjoy. More of the same which I'm not complaining about.

Now I'm halfway through Dragonslayer by Duncan M. Hamilton which is quite interesting so far. It's set in a medieval Toussaint France, about a drunken retired Chevalier tasked with killing a dragon that has just awoken. It can be a bit simplistic at times, but is moving along at a fair clip and most of the characters are interesting. It's reminding me of David Gemmell's stuff, hopeless odds and chances of redemption etc.