Books Fantasy Reads

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Unavailable. What was in it?
Ann Aguirre listed numerous authors she claims were mention in some DMs she received relating to a myriad of allegations ranging from 'not admitting fault' to 'sexual abuse.' She didn't give any detail about the allegations or who they were from, nor did she specifically state which allegation related to which author. There were a few notable names on the list including GRR Martin. Can't remember any of the others though.

Edit: looks like she's deleted her Twitter account, not just the post.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There really is. She was in an consensual relationship with a married man. At 25/26 Rowland would have a mature understanding of morality. She was informed, in no uncertain terms by the wife of the person she was having an affair with, that she wanted it to stop. What information here differentiates this from your typical affair? In fact, Rowland explicitly states she noticed the toll it took on Bears health and yet still went ahead with it. Incredibly, she lists Bear as an abuser!
No, her accounting of events makes it pretty clear that Lynch abused his position of power to force her into a relationship she was uncomfortable with, lying to her, and kept trying to have a close relationship even after she made it clear she wasn't comfortable with the situation

She was 25 she knew what she got into is a bullshit excuse to defend Lynch. His actions, if what she says is true, are absolutely indefensible and abhorrent

Now, the question is whether she's telling the truth or not
Ann Aguirre listed numerous authors she claims were mention in some DMs she received relating to a myriad of allegations ranging from 'not admitting fault' to 'sexual abuse.' She didn't give any detail about the allegations or who they were from, nor did she specifically state which allegation related to which author. There were a few notable names on the list including GRR Martin. Can't remember any of the others though.

Edit: looks like she's deleted her Twitter account, not just the post.
The idea was to release the specific accusations over the next few days

But now she's deleted her account. Yikes. That's not a good look for the industry

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No, her accounting of events makes it pretty clear that Lynch abused his position of power to force her into a relationship she was uncomfortable with, lying to her, and kept trying to have a close relationship even after she made it clear she wasn't comfortable with the situation
Come on. By her own account, Lynch said it was open relationship and she went ahead consensually. She also admits to hero crush on him. She also admits Bear took it badly, but that didn't get her to stop this. She goes on to excuse her own response to his flirtatious behavior as "I had a bit of a hero crush -- who wouldn’t? -- and I was flattered by the attention. I felt special." I mean someone flirts with you and you respond favorably and then start accusing them when they take things further?

Even assuming he wanted to sleep with her, it isn't grooming. It's still unwanted sexual advance.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

But for the shameless advertisement of Apple Inc., would have ideally created a thread for this.

Would have much preferred a short series on the Robot Series of Asimov, if I am being honest.
I adored this series when I read it back in high school. I remember back in the pre-Amazon days scouring used book stores trying to find a copy of Foundation and Earth. I barely remember the plot, but I don't remember it being as dramatic as that trailer. May need to go back on an Asimov binge.

ivaldo

She was 25 she knew what she got into is a bullshit excuse to defend Lynch. His actions, if what she says is true, are absolutely indefensible and abhorrent

Now, the question is whether she's telling the truth or not

The idea was to release the specific accusations over the next few days

But now she's deleted her account. Yikes. That's not a good look for the industry
No it doesn't. Firstly, I think you're overstating his position of power here. He's a middling fantasy fiction author FFS. He has little authority over her; he has little authority over anything. Show me where he 'forced' her to do anything. No ultimatums, no threats, manipulation; nothing. She admitted she wanted to sleep with him. She admitted that she had a massive crush on him. She admitted his wife told her to back the feck off and yet still continued to do so. This isn't grooming. It's an affair. As I said, Rowland knew it was all having a profound effect on Bear, and yet she carried on with it anyway.

Lynch comes across as sleezy, Rowland comes across as pathological, while Bear comes across as the actual victim.

No its not a good look.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Come in. By her own account, Lynch said it was open relationship and she went ahead consensually. She also admits to hero crush on him. She also admits Bear took it badly, but that didn't get her to stop this. She goes on to excuse her own response to his flirtatious behavior as "I had a bit of a hero crush -- who wouldn’t? -- and I was flattered by the attention. I felt special." I mean someone flirts with you and you respond favorably and then start accusing them when they take things further?
No, she claims she wasn't comfortable with being in a relationship with him unless Bear was ok with it, was subsequently pursued and pressured even after Bear's initial refusal, and eventually caved in after Lynch had somehow convinced Bear to try. She was then subsequently taken advantage of repeatedly, broke the whole thing off when it was clear Bear had had enough and was still pursued by Lynch -albeit in a non-sexual way- even after that

This is a young woman trying to enter an industry being approached then pressured in an uncomfortable\unwanted relationship by an older man with significant power and influence in the industry -and thus significant power and influence over her career-

Her being flattered by the attention or flirting in no way shape or form excuses Lynch's actions

Yes, she does not come out particularly well in relation to Bear, though once again we are talking about a young woman in a vulnerable position being taken advantage of by a man in a position of her over her, but that in no way excuses Lynch

Seriously. Either you don't believe her account, which, fine, there's been multiple sources corroborating Bear's version of the events, or you do, in which case there no way you can possibly defend Lynch or find the story anything less than horrific

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Firstly, I think you're overstating his position of power here. He's a middling fantasy fiction author FFS.
Lynch is one of the biggest, most recognizable names in the industry. He's not a middling author within his industry. He's not GRRM, but he can very easily help make or break someone's career

She admitted she wanted to sleep with him.
No she did not.
She admitted that she had a massive crush on him.
Again, no. Hero crush =/= massive crush. Also still doesn't mean she wanted to sleep with him

She admitted his wife told her to back the feck off and yet still continued to do so.
No, she admitted to backing off until Lynch convinced Bear to let her onto their marriage. And broke it off again once it became evident Bear wasn't ok with it

Lynch comes across as sleezy, Rowland comes across as pathological, while Bear comes across as the actual victim.
Bear comes across as a victim, though one blinded by loyalty to her husband and particularly vicious on her reprisals, against another victim of her husband, who comes across as a sexual predator

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yes, she does not come out particularly well in relation to Bear, though once again we are talking about a young woman in a vulnerable position being taken advantage of by a man in a position of her over her, but that in no way excuses Lynch

Seriously. Either you don't believe her account, which, fine, there's been multiple sources corroborating Bear's version of the events, or you do, in which case there no way you can possibly defend Lynch or find the story anything less than horrific
She keeps saying she was in it only because she was afraid of Lynch, which I don't believe. All 3 were at in principle ok to trying out an open relationship, which didn't work. And that should be it.

Was she exposed to improper advance, yes. Was she groomed or abused, no?

ivaldo

Lynch is one of the biggest, most recognizable names in the industry. He's not a middling author within his industry. He's not GRRM, but he can very easily help make or break someone's career

No she did not.

Again, no. Hero crush =/= massive crush. Also still doesn't mean she wanted to sleep with him

No, she admitted to backing off until Lynch convinced Bear to let her onto their marriage. And broke it off again once it became evident Bear wasn't ok with it

Bear comes across as a victim, though one blinded by loyalty to her husband and particularly vicious on her reprisals, against another victim of her husband, who comes across as a sexual predator
No, he isn't. He released 3 books, the last of them 12 years ago. He's won 1 award. He has little to no media presence. He is a self confessed hermit. He's a great author with plenty of fans, but he isn't blacklisting anyone. You have your Martins and your Gaimans who transcends the genre. Then you have your prolific selling authors like Robb and Sanderson and Brooks. Then comes the likes of Abercrombie and Kay. Lynch is waaaayyy down that list these days.

She approached Bear to ask if it was OK to have an open relationship with her crush. But sure, she didn't want to sleep with him...

Listen to what she says. She says Bear was incredibly unhappy with the mere suggestion of an open relationship. She felt like she was driving a wedge In-between Lynch and Bear. Then out of the blue Bear suggests trying it, and she thinks she's helping to FIX their relationship by getting involved? She genuinely attempts to portray herself as someone doing this for the good of the other two. But I suppose she's only 25, she didn't know better...

Lynch sounds like he was pushing for this with Bear, but Rowland comes off as incredibly opportunistic. Even the email she shares from Bear, Bear comes across as someone who really isn't happy with her relationship with Lynch. Do you think that's the first time they've had this conversation?

Despite the obvious bias, she still comes across as someone who wants to use Lynch to further her career. Her disregard for Bear is abhorrent. It's incredible that you can read that, see her blaming Bear without remorse, and take it all on face value.

Just to clarify. I'm not saying Lynch is without fault here. He disregards Bear's wellbeing too. But it's a hell of a reach to go along with this line of him being a sexual abuser and groomer based on Rowlands version of events, particularly when she still comes across as a vindictive and pathological person despite her own bias.

Revan

Assumptionman
No, she claims she wasn't comfortable with being in a relationship with him unless Bear was ok with it, was subsequently pursued and pressured even after Bear's initial refusal, and eventually caved in after Lynch had somehow convinced Bear to try. She was then subsequently taken advantage of repeatedly, broke the whole thing off when it was clear Bear had had enough and was still pursued by Lynch -albeit in a non-sexual way- even after that

This is a young woman trying to enter an industry being approached then pressured in an uncomfortable\unwanted relationship by an older man with significant power and influence in the industry -and thus significant power and influence over her career-

Her being flattered by the attention or flirting in no way shape or form excuses Lynch's actions

There are two things wrong with the bolded:

1) She actually had a crush on him and wanted to feck him.
2) Lynch does not have significant power and influence over anything. He isn't even an A-tier author. He had 3 books written, one of which was a hit, while fighting depression.

The girl in question looks like a vindictive bitch, Lynch looks like a cheat while his wife is the actual victim (of cheating) and should have dumped him.

This is a story over nothing, which only in trial by twitter era can take place. Yeah, he cheated on his wife, my goodness, will the universe survive?!

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Seems to me that the general description of what Howland wrote is correct in the sense of the relationship that was going on between Lynch, her and Bear. Just the specifics on what happened is disputed.

Think the one innocent person in all this is Bear who tried to salvage her relationship with Lynch by agreeing to an open relationship then had second thoughts and thats where the mess started. Wasnt Lynch in depression or undergoing therapy which was the cause of his books getting delayed. Wonder how much of what happened because of this triangular relationship was a cause of that.

Still skeptical about the allegations of grooming Howland. Dont think what Howland wrote suggested that Lynch and Bear were grooming her.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Think the one innocent person in all this is Bear who tried to salvage her relationship with Lynch by agreeing to an open relationship then had second thoughts and thats where the mess started.
This was just an ill thought out adventure between 3 consenting adults. The way Rowland portrayed it was a bit embellished. She has some valid views, but rather than putting forth her feelings, she went on to slander Lynch.

Mark Pawelek

Eyes of the Overworld. By Jack Vance. Oldie but goodie (early 1950s). Set on a dying earth where magic has returned. Featuring con-man / thief who survives against all odds. Short, funny book. Dark humour, anti-hero. Villains tying themselves in knots.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Eyes of the Overworld. By Jack Vance. Oldie but goodie (early 1950s). Set on a dying earth where magic has returned. Featuring con-man / thief who survives again all odds. Short, funny book. Dark humour, anti-hero. Villains tying themselves in knots.
That sounds interesting - will investigate.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Lord of Light
- Roger Zelazny

Overall: +9

Oh, my! What a book. Blends Hindu and Buddhist mythology and mysticism smoothly within a sci-fi world and yet also manages to pack an taut and twisting plot to keep readers guessing to boot.

Writing/Plot/Pace: +9

The writing style is completely in line with the theme of the book. Feels very Buddhist. It's delightful how he even manages to convey the adrenalin of a battle with the calm of meditation. They should contradict each other by all means, but the author really makes it work. There's a lot of flowery prose and mystical musings like you'd hear from any guru or priest but these blend in well without detracting from the plot or slowing the pace.

There are a lot of terms (like 'atman') from Hindu mythology, but most have explanations next to them to prevent the need to google up for those not versed in the mythology. The book would really work well and does not need any prior information on Hinduism/Buddhism, though having that helps appreciate the plot better.

The book is essentially broken into 3 segments, a prelude in current times, a backstory and climax set in current time with the backstory taking the bulk of pace space. The mythology is given scientific backing in a very realistic fashion, a new lens to see the stories.

Characters: +9

Story obviously follows Buddha, but the supporting cast are given amply page time and play significant roles. every character is etched well and sticks well to the story. Though there is a maudlin tone to the characters, they are all unique and highly interesting

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

Cracking read. from the start, it keeps you interested all the way to an epic climax with a twist I didn't see coming. There's some explicit sex content that honestly didn't add anything to the book, but apart from that, it's been brilliant. Looking to dive into book 2 straight away....

The plot is woven brilliantly between a university/teaching type and still gives a hint of the macro. The sub-plot makes it much of interesting and we get a balance of learning/skills upgrade and good development of overall plot.

As said before, the explicit sex scenes don't add value but they are only a couple of pages, so nothing too detrimental. The romance is very understated (which is good as I hate romance in stories) and kept very realistic. I certainly isn't grimdark, but it has some bloody scenes which fall under "gritty realism" better.

Story is told from pov of protagonist, but the supporting cast is interesting and influential. They all play a key part in the book which makes it all the more colorful.

@harshad @Revan @ivaldo @Fosu-Mens @The Cat @Art Vandelay If you liked Red Sister, this is similar kinda grittier and darker. The magic is a bit understated, but I'd recommend this definitely.

celia

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

The plot is woven brilliantly between a university/teaching type and still gives a hint of the macro. The sub-plot makes it much of interesting and we get a balance of learning/skills upgrade and good development of overall plot.

As said before, the explicit sex scenes don't add value but they are only a couple of pages, so nothing too detrimental. The romance is very understated (which is good as I hate romance in stories) and kept very realistic. I certainly isn't grimdark, but it has some bloody scenes which fall under "gritty realism" better.
How is the writing style itself? I heard it is quite special.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

Cracking read. from the start, it keeps you interested all the way to an epic climax with a twist I didn't see coming. There's some explicit sex content that honestly didn't add anything to the book, but apart from that, it's been brilliant. Looking to dive into book 2 straight away....

Story is told from pov of protagonist, but the supporting cast is interesting and influential. They all play a key part in the book which makes it all the more colorful.

@harshad @Revan @ivaldo @Fosu-Mens @The Cat @Art Vandelay If you liked Red Sister, this is similar kinda grittier and darker. The magic is a bit understated, but I'd recommend this definitely.
Thanks @Edgar Allan Pillow I am looking to order 3 or 4 books today so this will be included.

As an aside I was also looking at a couple of other books such as The Library at Mount Char from your previous post and the price even as a paperback seems to be crazy for a few of them - a sign of the times? It's not even a new book.

*edit Found it for a tenner in the end - most places are asking double that. I ordered the Nevernight trilogy as well so that's me sorted for a while thanks*

Last edited:

harshad

Scout

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

This is a trilogy, yeah?

Fosu-Mens

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

Have not been that successful in reading books with a female protagonist earlier (except Mistborn). Noting wrong with the books, just could not relate/emphasise that well, and when only 1 POV that is somewhat important.

So how do these books compare?

celia

Goodreads has made some lists of its top 100 popular SF books and its top 100 popular fantasy books. It reflects probably more how many people read a book than its qualities. There are also two other lists on its blog.

I read 46 of the SF books and 62 of the fantasy ones (helped a lot by the fact I read quite often the first book of a popular series and stop there (21)).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
2 days til new Dresden :)
I love me some Butcher. His story of how the Codex Alera series came into being is one of the most hilarious/awesome one ever. From Butcher's mouth:

How did you come up with the original idea for CODEX ALERA? We’ve heard rumours that it involved a bet on whether you could combine the Roman empire and Pokémon… is that true?

The bet was actually centered around writing craft discussions being held on the then-new Del Rey Online Writers’ Workshop, I believe. The issue at hand was central story concepts. One side of the argument claimed that a good enough central premise would make a great book, even if you were a lousy writer. The other side contended that the central concept was far less important than the execution of the story, and that the most overused central concept in the world could have life breathed into by a skilled writer.

It raged back and forth in an ALL CAPITAL LETTERS FLAMEWAR between a bunch of unpublished writers, and finally some guy dared me to put my money where my mouth was, by letting him give me a cheesy central story concept, which I would then use in an original novel.

Me being an arrogant kid, I wrote him back saying, “Why don’t you give me TWO terrible ideas for a story, and I’ll use them BOTH.”

The core ideas he gave me were Lost Roman Legion and Pokémon… Thus was Alera formed.

[\QUOTE]

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I love me some Butcher. His story of how the Codex Alera series came into being is one of the most hilarious/awesome one ever. From Butcher's mouth:
Ha, that's awesome. Didn't know that, but haven't touched Alera yet.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So how do these books compare?
Mistborn has lots of magic with the learning element understated. Nevernight is vice versa happening in a school with only two people having access to magic.
Magic system is faith based in Nevernight where it's genetic in Mistborn
Nevernight is more bloody/gritty (though no gore) and has some explicit sexual content which MIstborn doesn't have.
The macro world building is bigger in Mistborn whereas Nevernight takes places mostly in a academy with macro elements brought in relevance as needed.
Mistborn, Red Sister and Nevernight all have similarities in young girl turning into magical warrior but similarities end there. Their takes are all unique and interesting.

Have you read Red Sister? At a stretch, I can say that the likelihood of liking Nevernight is high if you liked Mistborn. No guarantees.

Beachryan

Enjoying the new Dresden book - so damn easy to read it's a seriously dangerous one for your sleep. Should finish it tonight. His style is superb, and the characters memorable.

Also feels very 'self-contained' - definitely lends itself to episodic tv like Supernatural.

Edit: didn't realise next book is coming out in September.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Enjoying the new Dresden book - so damn easy to read it's a seriously dangerous one for your sleep. Should finish it tonight. His style is superb, and the characters memorable.

Also feels very 'self-contained' - definitely lends itself to episodic tv like Supernatural.
I have not read a DF book since the last one was released. I was contemplating a full catalog reread to catch up, but is that needed?

Beachryan

I have not read a DF book since the last one was released. I was contemplating a full catalog reread to catch up, but is that needed?
Not at all, he does a reasonable job of peppering back story where it's needed. In fact I think the editors missed something as there are two paragraphs of backstory to the same event, which feels like one was missed being taken out.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Peace Talks (Dresden Files #16)
- Jim Butcher

Overall: +7

A bit of divided opinion on this. There are things I liked and things I felt deviated from the 'feel' of earlier Dresden books. But still a satisfying read. I feel the books could have been 50% shorter without having impact on plot, but looks like I can finalize my opinion after BattleGround, which I can't wait for. Faster JB!

Writing/Plot/Pace: +7

The books pick up smoothly couple of months after Skin Game. The writing is brilliant and the book is mostly self contained and can be picked up cold.

Three quarters of the book is all on setting up the finale and not much plot progression which in hindsight feels like filler segments, though they are a good read in itself. The plot events and character reactions all feel a bit forced/contrived to put Dresden alone in a corner and don't feel organic. Logic also takes a backseat as Characters don't do things or ask questions that seem obvious to the reader, just because of the need to set the space.

The tone of the book is a bit more dark and depressing as events start off from Page 1 and then the deck keeps getting stacked against Dresden at a frantic pace.

But the epic last quarter of the book makes up for all of the drawbacks and set the tone for the BattleGround, which imo is already too late. I need my fix now. :-)

Characters : +6

This is my biggest gripe in the book. Dresden goes out of his way to antagonize everyone which feels really odd. The other characters also seem to be anti-Dresden from the get go, which really isn't the dynamic left off from earlier books. Feels JB has to force the events a bit to suit the plot and I didn't like that much.

harshad

Scout
Finished Peace Talks - #16 of Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Enjoyed the latter half of the book more than the earlier section. It does raise the stakes and gave a feeling that we are entering end game territory. But it felt that it was a pretty small book. With Battle Grounds scheduled to release in September/October, I do wonder how big a book that is that JB and his publishers felt the need to break up the book in two parts.

Harry assessing the features of every female character including the ones who he knows since they were kid was a bit overdone.

Not sure about Justine though. She may not be as innocent as she looks in the whole Thomas incident and could herself be the mole who bugged the Raith Manor.

Beachryan

Finished Peace Talks - #16 of Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Ditto - man some fast readers on here!
There were a few parts I felt repetitive - that was one of them, and the explanation of how its a side-effect of winter etc. Was strangely done that.

I don't think it's great story-telling to have the central plot question be utterly unresolveable in this book as a standalone story. Why Thomas, why? Well dear reader, the most detail-oriented of you will still learn f*ck all because next book is $15 more in a few months.

I do love the world building, characters and pacing tough - Butcher is a good writer.

Main q's:
1. As above, what's my motivation?!
2. Why do the wizards hate him again? Did they already vote? What are they voting on?
3. Why is Lara being made into such a sympathetic character? She's gonna kill grandpa isn't she?
4. I see Butcher quickly skimmed Greek divinity origins 101 for inspiration, can we expect a Zeus appearance? What would Michael say to that?
5. Grandpappy be dark, but what a mindf*ck.

harshad

Scout
There were a few parts I felt repetitive - that was one of them, and the explanation of how its a side-effect of winter etc. Was strangely done that.

I don't think it's great story-telling to have the central plot question be utterly unresolveable in this book as a standalone story. Why Thomas, why? Well dear reader, the most detail-oriented of you will still learn f*ck all because next book is $15 more in a few months.

I do love the world building, characters and pacing tough - Butcher is a good writer.

Main q's:
1. As above, what's my motivation?!
2. Why do the wizards hate him again? Did they already vote? What are they voting on?
3. Why is Lara being made into such a sympathetic character? She's gonna kill grandpa isn't she?
4. I see Butcher quickly skimmed Greek divinity origins 101 for inspiration, can we expect a Zeus appearance? What would Michael say to that?
5. Grandpappy be dark, but what a mindf*ck.
Being under lockdown helps :)

Yeah I have liked everything by Butcher that I have read so far - which is everything Dresden and Codex Alera.

Re: Thomas - I just hope that gets resolved early in Battle Grounds. But with Thomas being a comatose prisoner on the Island, it would seem he at least is out of action for the near future. So really not sure how the motivation of Thomas gets resolved.

2. For the hate against Harry - I think it has more to do with how he operates and who he routinely interacts with. I think it was touched upon in Ghost Story or a later book as how harry is viewed by others. Plus wizards generally being dicks also adds to their hate/fear of Harry.

3. I had a feeling that the initial chapters were setting up Grand Pa McCoy to die, with Ramires asking Harry to be on his protective detail and Maggie having that line about whether Grand pa will come for Christmas. Yeah don't expect him to survive long.

4. Yeah since Hades is there, why wouldn't Zeus be there too. Should be fun when he makes an appearance.

5. McCoy being a dark guy was also hinted at in the earlier books with him being the wizards enforcer who can use magic to kill.

Speculation : -
1. The reference to the Conqueror seems to be to William the Conqueror. Has there been any other English King who is called as the 'Conqueror'. I am not up to speed on the Arthurian legends but were King Arthur and WIilliam the Conqueror around at similar times?

2. The detail of Starborn being born every 666 years has something to do with Lucifer and we probably see him in one of the later books if not in Battle Grounds.

3. Murphy dies and is given the choice to become a Valkyrie or she ends up replacing Fix as the Summer Knight.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@harshad @Beachryan

My take:
Hate on Harry - This is driven by Cristos who is Black Council and allied with Outsiders (who fear Harry as Starborn) and they want to take him out of the game. We'll probably see a trifecta of villains, Titan/Fomor, Black Council and Outsiders vs rest.

There'll probably be a confession/boast monologue from the villains which would prove Thomas innocence and Harry will free him.

Murphy becomes the third Knight of the Sword and takes up Michael's sword, Amoracchius. It also heals her.

Lot of old villains rising up again, Genkowska, Marva and reference to the Necromancers (cowl etc) it's all coming together. Plus we get to Harry's past. I sense the series is coming to an end perhaps within next 3 books.

The interaction between Harry vs McCoy and Harry vs Ramirez doesn't fit well with their dynamics from earlier books.