Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

Finished Battle Ground.
Was as expected. Should have just released Peace Talks and Battle Ground as one book as originally planned
Yes. The consensus from all who had read the pre-release copies is that the two books read better as a single book. But publishers want to make their money. I'm sure the books will feel better on re-reads, where they can be read together as a joint book.

celia

I finished :
- A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik, I was expecting a better book since I like a lot her two previous books. It is an ok reading, I see why a part of it can be seen problematic, it was totally unnecessary. The other reproach, I wasn't really aware while reading. I suppose it depends how much you think this world is realistic (it didn't seem to bring some society problems that a multiethnic place can have though maybe the narrator is completely oblivious to those... but well she is pretty oblivious to lot of things since I feel all the characters except her lack depth).
- The Dragon Keeper (The Rain Wild Chronicles #1) by Robin Hobb. Since I had low expectations, I didn't find it bad, except it doesn't feel a book but just the beginning of a book since there was no climax at the end. So only 3 other books to go. Then three others.
- The Orphan of Cemetery Hill by Hester Fox. Pleasant reading though it is completely lacking in execution. The investigation being solved with lucky coincidences.

I am reading Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

Last edited:

DMacgraw

After hearing about it for ages, finally decided to take a crack at Discworld. Started today the Might Watch series with Guards! Guards!

DMacgraw

If you don't want the whole series, I'd recommend Going Postal and Making Money. Those two books standalone and are really great.
That's interesting. According to the Discworld Reading Order Guide 3.0 (available online), both books are part of the Industrial Revolution Novels, 7 books starting with Moving Pictures. If you loved those two then perhaps you should seek out the other books in that series. The series comprises Moving Pictures, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam, and Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook. The standalone I'm dying to read is Good Omens, with Neil Gaiman.

Discworld includes over 40 books, a daunting prospect for anyone who is new to the world. Fortunately, it appears it is possible to take it in bite-sized chunks, each chunk being a set of books with a common theme. I want to start with the Watch Novels, 9 books about a group of guardsmen in the city watch. Supposed to be hilarious. If I'm able to complete that then I'll tackle, in order, the Death Novels (8 books), the Witches Novels (7 books), and then the Industrial Revolution Novels, the Rincewind Novels (10 books), ..., etc. I don't know if I can do all that, but we'll see.

celia

I feel it is better to start the Discworld series with the most praised books that may interest you more. Especially since even some of the books belonging to some sub-series can be read without reading previous books.

It reminds me I have to read more of them. Probably Guards! Guards! then I will probably either read Soul Music or skip it for a better Death book (Hogfather).

DMacgraw

The ones I've seen praised the most include the Watch series, which is why I'm starting there, as well as Mord (the first Death book), Good Omens, and Going Postal. But your advice is sound. If for some reason I'm not feeling the Watch Novels I'll just skip to some individual praised books.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's interesting. According to the Discworld Reading Order Guide 3.0 (available online), both books are part of the Industrial Revolution Novels, 7 books starting with Moving Pictures.
Those are the books (along with Raising Steam which came later) that feature Moist von Lipwig with a good dose of Lord Vetinari. Plus you don't need to know the Ankh Morpork arc that much so these serve as standalone reads.

Lipwig is probably my favourite character in all discworld along with with Vimes, Vetinari and Death.

The satire is far more relatable to real world and that gives those books an extra credit imo.

Ainu

Just finished the second Powder Mage book, that was excellent. Non-stop momentum, I couldn't stop reading. Goodreads tells me this was 600+ pages (I'm on a Kindle so no idea) but it felt like it flew by. One of the best middle books of a trilogy I've read. Now I just hope the third one ties it up nicely. I'm almost feeling sad it'll be over already.

Withnail

That's interesting. According to the Discworld Reading Order Guide 3.0 (available online), both books are part of the Industrial Revolution Novels, 7 books starting with Moving Pictures. If you loved those two then perhaps you should seek out the other books in that series. The series comprises Moving Pictures, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam, and Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook. The standalone I'm dying to read is Good Omens, with Neil Gaiman.

Discworld includes over 40 books, a daunting prospect for anyone who is new to the world. Fortunately, it appears it is possible to take it in bite-sized chunks, each chunk being a set of books with a common theme. I want to start with the Watch Novels, 9 books about a group of guardsmen in the city watch. Supposed to be hilarious. If I'm able to complete that then I'll tackle, in order, the Death Novels (8 books), the Witches Novels (7 books), and then the Industrial Revolution Novels, the Rincewind Novels (10 books), ..., etc. I don't know if I can do all that, but we'll see.
This is so strange to me.

I read the books basically in the order they came out after coming across the colour of magic in the library when I was 11 or 12 and it was always a surprise as to whether there'd be a new character or if the book would feature a return of an old favourite.

I suppose I've always veered towards reading books in chronological order anyway. Among other things you can see the authors style growing and developing and going back to earlier books can be jarring as they may be less polished etc.

However, I can see how it might be a good idea with the thought of tackling so many books.

They are great books though, I must re-read them.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've read a lot of disc world books and enjoyed most of them. Could not finish monstrous regiment though. Bored me to tears that one.

Small gods is a brilliant standalone one.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just finished the second Powder Mage book, that was excellent. Non-stop momentum, I couldn't stop reading. Goodreads tells me this was 600+ pages (I'm on a Kindle so no idea) but it felt like it flew by. One of the best middle books of a trilogy I've read. Now I just hope the third one ties it up nicely. I'm almost feeling sad it'll be over already.
There's another trilogy after this one :D

Ainu

There's another trilogy after this one :D
Well in the less than two weeks since that post, I've finished the trilogy, read 9 novella's set in that universe and already finished the first book of the second trilogy. Safe to say I'm a fan. :lol: That's what a lockdown does to you.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I loved it. Probably the best series in the genre along with Cradle (though that's more progression fantasy than LitRPG)
Finishing up the third book in tarot side trilogy. Not quite as good as main storyline, but good. Really interested to see how he merges them. Maybe an avengers style team up against Alexion?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Finishing up the third book in tarot side trilogy. Not quite as good as main storyline, but good. Really interested to see how he merges them. Maybe an avengers style team up against Alexion?
Tarot was awful. I had to force myself to finish the second and can't bring myself to start the third. I'll read that sometime just to ensure the world is complete, but god...Tarot is crap!

Kearnkoff69

The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson (first book is called The Way of Kings) is truly excellent high-fantasy. The fourth book in that series is coming out in a week and I am beyond hyped.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Tarot was awful. I had to force myself to finish the second and can't bring myself to start the third. I'll read that sometime just to ensure the world is complete, but god...Tarot is crap!
I wouldn't call it awful, but it is definitely a shadow of the core storyline. I can see why he did it as if he concentrated on the main line then Jason would be a god within a few more books.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson (first book is called The Way of Kings) is truly excellent high-fantasy. The fourth book in that series is coming out in a week and I am beyond hyped.
Yeah, Sanderson is a machine. His page output per year is insane.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I wouldn't call it awful, but it is definitely a shadow of the core storyline. I can see why he did it as if he concentrated on the main line then Jason would be a god within a few more books.
The whole second book was a dungeon clearing narrative. It just didn't add anything except for the twist in finale.

For an adult, the protagonist charges in amateurishly and somehow repeatedly jeeps pulling out 'lucky' wins. It's one roll eye moment after another for me.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ah, nearly forgot that. Have to brush up book 3 again and refresh myself.
Let me know if you have a go to summary source. So many months and books between releases- normally takes me a third of the book to remember the characters!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Let me know if you have a go to summary source. So many months and books between releases- normally takes me a third of the book to remember the characters!
I audio book my friend. The third book is quite literally the first I have read. Before this ahem... detour into a trilogy, he was putting books out quick enough that I did not need a refresher. I will likely need to go though all the previous audio books before the next new main book.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I just flip read the last book. Just speed flip through the major segments and that's it. Probably takes a couple of days.
Yeah, that's what I am doing via kindle. Just not a great series. The main one is so well fleshed out, but this is just...garbage?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

celia

I finished :
- Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Good but not that interesting, especially the battles part.
- Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. I quite liked it.
- Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. There are moments I felt it was great and others I had a hard time reading on. But the period I was reading it (a bit before and during the US election) didn't really help.

DMacgraw

You probably need to read the novella Dawnshard first, before Rythm of War comes out. If the example of Edgedancer and Oathbringer is anything to go by, Dawnshard would not be essential to enjoying RoW, but it would put a deeper complexion on some of the characters in RoW.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
You probably need to read the novella Dawnshard first, before Rythm of War comes out. If the example of Edgedancer and Oathbringer is anything to go by, Dawnshard would not be essential to enjoying RoW, but it would put a deeper complexion on some of the characters in RoW.
Think Sanderson has mentioned that whilst events in Dawnshard are prior to RoW, its not an essential to be read prior to RoW.

Kearnkoff69

Cheers! I really enjoyed Edgedancer and had completely forgotten about Dawnshard. Thank you for the reminder.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The whole second book was a dungeon clearing narrative. It just didn't add anything except for the twist in finale.

For an adult, the protagonist charges in amateurishly and somehow repeatedly jeeps pulling out 'lucky' wins. It's one roll eye moment after another for me.
Yeah, this really bugged me as well.

DMacgraw

Think Sanderson has mentioned that whilst events in Dawnshard are prior to RoW, its not an essential to be read prior to RoW.
I did note that Dawnshard would NOT be essential for enjoying RoW. But I was pointing out that, if you might remember, Lift was not an especially well-liked character after Words of Radiance, but she became a beloved character as a result of Edgedancer, and Szeth's actions in Oathbringer are also better understood because of the novella. In the same vein, Dawnshard might add useful background to the actions of some of the characters in RoW. But your mileage may vary.