Books Fantasy Reads

Oldyella

Finished The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie - Enjoyed it, a lot, his characters always get you invested. I do think he can sometimes be a bit too obvious that he is going to flip expectations now and you can see some twists coming but for all that I still enjoy his stuff immensely. Roll on book 3.

celia

I didn't even remember Lift from Words of Radiance when I read Arcanum Unbounded, but it was a pleasure to read Edgedancer .

celia

Every year, when I check State of the Sanderson, I am disappointed The Rithmatist (2013) still doesn't have a sequel.

But otherwise, he is so consistent and delivers interesting books.

siw2007

Recently finished Robin Hobbs Realm of Elderlings 16 book series. Best thing I have ever read in my life, really emotional ride at times. Currently reading the prequel ‘The wilful princess and the piebald prince.’

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Recently finished Robin Hobbs Realm of Elderlings 16 book series. Best thing I have ever read in my life, really emotional ride at times. Currently reading the prequel ‘The wilful princess and the piebald prince.’
I have always heard amazing things about RH, which led me to give the Assassins trilogy a go. Still to this day is the only series I have abandoned in the middle of the series (in the middle of the second book I think). From what I remember, the main character kept doing the same stupid thing over and over and it was really off-putting. So basically I am asking if I should give another of her series a go. Should I give the Assassins trilogy another go?

Edit: To clarify, it was the Farseer trilogy.

siw2007

I have always heard amazing things about RH, which led me to give the Assassins trilogy a go. Still to this day is the only series I have abandoned in the middle of the series (in the middle of the second book I think). From what I remember, the main character kept doing the same stupid thing over and over and it was really off-putting. So basically I am asking if I should give another of her series a go. Should I give the Assassins trilogy another go?
It’s been a while since I read the Farseer trilogy. The main problem I found with it was the slow moving plot, the plot did go around in circles doing a lot of world building until it sprang into life. Definitely give it another go, I thought Royal Assassin was one of the better books in the story, it’s better than Assassins Quest which has a lot of filler even though the ending is superb, Those three books are her earlier work and you have to get past that into her later stuff which is better.

celia

You can also try to The Liveship Traders Series to see if you are interested by Hobb's writing. I don't think the first book of the second trilogy spoils the first trilogy if you read the second first since the second trilogy happens in a different place with different characters. There is only a character from the first trilogy but they got a really minor role in the second trilogy and if I wasn't aware of it, I would have completely missed them. I am not really sure if the second trilogy spoils an important event of the first trilogy.

I like better the second trilogy (lot more characters, lot of different things happening), I found slow the first trilogy and not that rewarding (though it is required if you want to read the third trilogy and the newest ones).

siw2007

You can also try to The Liveship Traders Series to see if you are interested by Hobb's writing. I don't think the first book of the second trilogy spoils the first trilogy if you read the second first since the second trilogy happens in a different place with different characters. There is only a character from the first trilogy but they got a really minor role in the second trilogy and if I wasn't aware of it, I would have completely missed them. I am not really sure if the second trilogy spoils an important event of the first trilogy.

I like better the second trilogy (lot more characters, lot of different things happening), I found slow the first trilogy and not that rewarding (though it is required if you want to read the third trilogy and the newest ones).
The live ship traders does occasionally give a vague description to the events that happen at the end of the farseer trilogy. I prefer this one too, though I do prefer having the one lead character in the first trilogy, the second was just better written overall. However, neither are as good as Tawny Man which I thought was brilliant, especially the final book in that series.

Ainu

Just finished the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy, which you could call the second Powder Mage trilogy. To call it a massive disappointment would be an understatement. The third book felt like incredibly slow build-up followed by a super rushed ending in the final 5% of the book. Several characters and storylines just seemed completely forgotten or discarded by the end as well. And the writer made the monumental mistake of making one of the best characters in his world so overpowered that he constantly has to write that character out of any meaningful storyline. Judging by the ratings most people seem to prefer this trilogy over the first but I seriously don't have a clue why.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Getting A Little Hatred soon.

Think I am going to have to read up on a fansite and wiki before starting it it's been so long since I read the previous ones.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just finished the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy, which you could call the second Powder Mage trilogy. To call it a massive disappointment would be an understatement. The third book felt like incredibly slow build-up followed by a super rushed ending in the final 5% of the book. Several characters and storylines just seemed completely forgotten or discarded by the end as well. And the writer made the monumental mistake of making one of the best characters in his world so overpowered that he constantly has to write that character out of any meaningful storyline. Judging by the ratings most people seem to prefer this trilogy over the first but I seriously don't have a clue why.
I would agree with you. I think part of the problem is that Vlora was so unlikable to me in the first trilogy that I never really l invested myself in her character in this one. Taniel and Pole were so well written that I wanted more of them in this Trilogy, but as you point out he had to limit him as the author painted himself in a corner. The whole ending was rushed as you say and I felt that the whole godhood thing did not mesh great with the world building in the first trilogy.

If I had not read the first one I would say a solid 7/10, but in context of being a follow up trilogy I would say 5/10.

Ainu

I would agree with you. I think part of the problem is that Vlora was so unlikable to me in the first trilogy that I never really l invested myself in her character in this one. Taniel and Pole were so well written that I wanted more of them in this Trilogy, but as you point out he had to limit him as the author painted himself in a corner. The whole ending was rushed as you say and I felt that the whole godhood thing did not mesh great with the world building in the first trilogy.

If I had not read the first one I would say a solid 7/10, but in context of being a follow up trilogy I would say 5/10.
Spoilers just in case

It's clear the writer struggled immensely with Taniel and you can only say it's a problem of his own making. In Wrath of Empire, he writes him out of Vlora's storyline in that one town where he conveniently spends weeks in prison and then he proceeds to completely write him out of the final book until the very end. The bizarre and sudden appearance of the emperor as some sort of godlike warrior was clearly intended just to give Taniel something to do after all. It's awful awful writing because Taniel is so ridiculously strong at this point that he would render most storylines and the other characters' struggles obsolete. He was not this powerful at the end of the first trilogy and there really wasn't any need to turn him into this.

The other huge problem is that one of his best POV characters, Ben Styke, has by far the most boring storyline in the final book. It's nothing but slow, political build-up, which is wasted on a character like Styke. I also never really warmed to Vlora. Fortunately Michel's storyline was strong but also contained a disappointingly discarded thread with Yaret's household going into hiding undergound and then... pretty much never being mentioned again. What the hell? Same thing happened with Orz, the dragonman in Styke's storyline and one of the more interesting characters in the book. At one point they're all waiting for him to heal and then he's never mentioned again.

The whole thing was a mess. It was still worth it to me as I'd become so invested in the world and characters through the first trilogy and novellas, so I simply had to see what would happen. I really rated McClellan higher than this based on his earlier books, so it's painful to see how his writing unravelled here.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Spoilers just in case

It's clear the writer struggled immensely with Taniel and you can only say it's a problem of his own making. In Wrath of Empire, he writes him out of Vlora's storyline in that one town where he conveniently spends weeks in prison and then he proceeds to completely write him out of the final book until the very end. The bizarre and sudden appearance of the emperor as some sort of godlike warrior was clearly intended just to give Taniel something to do after all. It's awful awful writing because Taniel is so ridiculously strong at this point that he would render most storylines and the other characters' struggles obsolete. He was not this powerful at the end of the first trilogy and there really wasn't any need to turn him into this.

The other huge problem is that one of his best POV characters, Ben Styke, has by far the most boring storyline in the final book. It's nothing but slow, political build-up, which is wasted on a character like Styke. I also never really warmed to Vlora. Fortunately Michel's storyline was strong but also contained a disappointingly discarded thread with Yaret's household going into hiding undergound and then... pretty much never being mentioned again. What the hell? Same thing happened with Orz, the dragonman in Styke's storyline and one of the more interesting characters in the book. At one point they're all waiting for him to heal and then he's never mentioned again.

The whole thing was a mess. It was still worth it to me as I'd become so invested in the world and characters through the first trilogy and novellas, so I simply had to see what would happen. I really rated McClellan higher than this based on his earlier books, so it's painful to see how his writing unravelled here.
Spoilers also just in case

I thought the first book in the trilogy was good. My theory is that he had mapped out the first book and no much beyond. It seems like the remaining 2 books are just a jumble of cutscenes that lack continuity or cohesion. Take the godstones. In the first book you need all 3, but by the third book you don't? It is discussed that the pillar functions as a whole, but if I remember correctly, the one they fin in the mountains is in pieces and they only have the one piece. It is just sloppy. Your synopsis of the flaws above is spot on and I would say he suffered a similar issue in the first trilogy.

You don't really see it the first time you read it, but on re-read you notice that you are quite a bit through the 3rd book and they still haven't got back to the capitol. The ending is so rushed there as well, but it is masked better because you understand the players and the preceding story is so well done. Anyways, it's a fantastic concept that is executed decently. He seems to be good at world building but poor at mapping out his plot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Getting A Little Hatred soon.

Think I am going to have to read up on a fansite and wiki before starting it it's been so long since I read the previous ones.
No need for a deep dive, it's pretty much separate from the first law trilogy and the standalone books

DavelinaJolie

Just started the second book in the Nightrunner series. First book was pretty decent, tropey, but the "not dark like GoT" intrigue was alright and it was a good little romp. Clear case of a book being cut in half though.

Fosu-Mens

I usually red both the top and recent reviews to make my mind and not just go by stars. From comments looks like main character is Tersa (which is weird as she'd just annoying in first book) and we don't get much of character/plot progression.

Will wait for your review of next book. Thanks!
Finished reading the third installment in this series yesterday. Just luck that it came up in my goodreads rec.
So, third book is, from a subjective pov, much better than the second book. IMO the author should just put the second book as a filler between the 1 and 3 book. The main focus is again back on Trent Embra, with more hints of his importance in this world given. Trent is also experiencing a lot of growth, both as a person and as a character. New charachters are brought in, new trials and less, if any action is given to Thersa. It is far from a perfect book, but compared to the average LITPRG book...
Would still recommend reading book 2 before this, but you could just skip evey chapter with the focus on Thersa.

Would also recommend a progression sci-Fy highly: Iron Prince - Bryce O'conner and one more. Will Wight called it a mixture of Cradle and Enders Game, which suits nicely, both in theme and in quality.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Would also recommend a progression sci-Fy highly: Iron Prince - Bryce O'conner and one more. Will Wight called it a mixture of Cradle and Enders Game, which suits nicely, both in theme and in quality.
It's Bryce and Luke Chimlenko who was the author of Ascend Online books. I liked this book. thought it was interesting and had good pace despite having so many not so relevant sections added in. Would have preferred to have more of macro plot, but still. Good book.

I've just finished the published books of Ten Realms by Michael Chatfield. Really good read as author covers multiple genres from city building to dungeon clearing to various political aspects. Dynamic and interesting set of books.

Fosu-Mens

It's Bryce and Luke Chimlenko who was the author of Ascend Online books. I liked this book. thought it was interesting and had good pace despite having so many not so relevant sections added in. Would have preferred to have more of macro plot, but still. Good book.

I've just finished the published books of Ten Realms by Michael Chatfield. Really good read as author covers multiple genres from city building to dungeon clearing to various political aspects. Dynamic and interesting set of books.
Expecting that they will expand on the macro plot when the main protagonist gets stronger. Makes sense.

Ten Realms book are already under consideration. Just need to get/make the time to prioritize them. Will see if i'm not able to squize some of them in before 2021.

Anyways, if you liked Land of the Undying Lord, you will like Moonlight Banishes Shadows. Not a must to read book 2, but the ending might be useful.

Ainu

I've started reading the Earthsea books a couple of days ago, one of those classic series I never got around to. I was always a bit hesitant to start as they are often referred to as children's books, but it's a great change of pace from the usual fantasy fare for me. I enjoyed the first book well enough but the second has really got me into it. The lyrical prose, the characters, the mysteries of its world, I love it. At this point I think I'm just going to read the whole series.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished Rhythm of War. Found it meh (except the ending), and feel that it is reaching the same stagnation point as the meh books in Wheel of Time. Except the last quarter, not much was interesting in it.

I love Hoid though, he outdid himself in being funny again. The two funniest moments of him were:

Shallan saying to Mraize to tell his leader that Hoid said to focus on your planet, otherwise I will come and slap you again. Quite clearly, that person is Kelsier.

Calling Rayne/Odium that you have always been an idiot (though obviously, he does not know that Rayne is dead and Odium is now Teravangian).

Kaladin is starting to annoy me. He is very much Rand al Thor. Dalinar and Jasnah are the most interesting characters in the series, and it is criminal that Jasnah is not getting much more time. She is so much more interesting than the young protagonists (Kaladin, Shallan and Adolin).

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Finished Rhythm of War. Found it meh (except the ending), and feel that it is reaching the same stagnation point as the meh books in Wheel of Time. Except the last quarter, not much was interesting in it.

I love Hoid though, he outdid himself in being funny again. The two funniest moments of him were:

Shallan saying to Mraize to tell his leader that Hoid said to focus on your planet, otherwise I will come and slap you again. Quite clearly, that person is Kelsier.

Calling Rayne/Odium that you have always been an idiot (though obviously, he does not know that Rayne is dead and Odium is now Teravangian).

Kaladin is starting to annoy me. He is very much Rand al Thor. Dalinar and Jasnah are the most interesting characters in the series, and it is criminal that Jasnah is not getting much more time. She is so much more interesting than the young protagonists (Kaladin, Shallan and Adolin).
Agree mosttly with this. I couldnt care less about how fabrials work and how spren interact with each other so yeah a large chunk of the books was just flipping pages.

Agree on the 1st spoiler. Its obviously him and I am more interested in reading about that. Hopefully after the 5th SA book is out we get another story of the said character's rise to power.

I think Kaladin's arc should turn for the better now. With him accepting that he cant save everyone, should help him overcome his depression and we get to see more of him in action rather than moping about.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Villains Code by Drew Hayes
- Forging Hephaestus
- Bones of the Past

Really cool and fun story. Well written characters, good pacing and just overall fun.

Just finished FH. Will wait for the audiobook for the second one. I think he definitely used the Superpowereds series to hone his superhero storytelling skills, because FH was much better. Focusing on adults helped too as it let him take a slightly darker tone. Really like Hayes writing style.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just finished FH. Will wait for the audiobook for the second one. I think he definitely used the Superpowereds series to hone his superhero storytelling skills, because FH was much better. Focusing on adults helped too as it let him take a slightly darker tone. Really like Hayes writing style.
I just finished Super Powereds Year 1. Boy was it a teen drama drag! Awful.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I read good things about it and as the whole trilogy is available in German I am thinking about getting it.
Sounds pretty decent to me.

Ainu

Inspired by Cyberpunk 2077's recent release, I've decided to read Neuromancer by William Gibson, which is considered the essential novel of the genre. I'm about 20% in and I have to say the prose is pretty dense and confusing. This isn't an easy read. Sometimes I don't have a clue about the finer details of what's actually happening. Initially I would re-read parts to make sense of it but that didn't get me anywhere, so I've decided to just sort of go with the flow and see where it takes me.

I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it's certainly light on exposition and heavy on fast-paced (confusing) action, which is just fine for me.

Himannv

Finally read A Little Hatred. I reread most of the First Law series and related books (excluding Red Country) before I picked this one up. Good book since it's written by Abercrombie but not one of my favourites as I took a bit of time to get invested in the new characters and the newly added business aspect of the world that is slowly inching its way towards industrialization. It probably didn't help that I read Heroes just before this one, which is one of his more action packed books I think. It's Abercrombie, so his characters are always interesting and at least a couple of them will get you hooked eventually.

Anyway, there are loads of nice little nods to older characters from previous books and plenty of entertaining little cameos. His main characters are mostly quite young so it's a somewhat different set of players in a different world. The plot picks up the pace a bit towards the middle and the story ends with a nice little twist to set up book 2. I thought this was a fairly political book compared to most of the others as most of the characters are leaders of some sort. I'd have liked more war, because he's really at his best when he writes those sort of scenes, but there was enough of it in there to give me a nice little taste of it. Hope to see some more war in The Trouble With Peace.

7/10 on the Abercrombie scale, probably a bit higher on other scales.

I felt "Long live the king," was such a sinister line at the end there although I should have seen it coming. Gave me the chills!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Inspired by Cyberpunk 2077's recent release, I've decided to read Neuromancer by William Gibson, which is considered the essential novel of the genre. I'm about 20% in and I have to say the prose is pretty dense and confusing. This isn't an easy read. Sometimes I don't have a clue about the finer details of what's actually happening. Initially I would re-read parts to make sense of it but that didn't get me anywhere, so I've decided to just sort of go with the flow and see where it takes me.

I'm not sure if I like it yet, but it's certainly light on exposition and heavy on fast-paced (confusing) action, which is just fine for me.
I'm not sure it has aged well. Probably might have been cutting edge when it was released. I read it a couple of years ago and found it just ok.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Two good read from 2020 SPFBO.

Really good read. If you like a book from a non-good person pov, this is definitely recommended.

Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path #1)
- Michael R. Fletcher

Overall: +7/10

Picked this from 2020 SPFBO and it was a very interesting read. Overall I have no regrets on reading this, except for a vague sense of unfulfillment once done as I expected a lot more which never happened.

Writing/plot/Pace: +7

The author has a simplistic yet very immersive style of writing. Not much of flowery prose, but simple, straightforward and yet very influential. The book isn't short of violence, but the prose gives it a kinda memoirs vibe (fits with the plot) with none of the gore associated with the events. The book grasps you from the first word and really flows well all through the end. Very evenly paced (too even as I'd have liked some fast paced action scenes) and never becomes a drag.

The world building is introduced nicely and we get to uncover the background along with the protagonist. What I felt let down was that the climax didn't really have the oomph or significance the book needed. It just felt it ended after a chapter that next book will continue. Lack of epic climax kinda brings the score down.

I don't really like first person PoV, but it really works in here. Well done, Mike!

Characters: +7

We are set with a interesting protagonist, a very anti-hero/villain'esque character with very conflicting personalities on who he was, who he is and who he wants to be. The overlapping personalities have been dealt with very nicely and it makes for one of the more intriguing characters I've read recently. The split of personalities between bad, naïve and good only adds to the interesting mix.

We have 2 supporting characters, who have been portrayed nicely but haven't realized their potential...hopefully in next book.

The Combat Codes
- Alexander Darwin

Overall a nice read which has a lot of potential, but nothing really stands out in book 1. Interesting and intriguing enough to make me get book 2 though. Hope the oomph factor gets amped up more. +7/10

What I liked:
+ World building. It's a novel world with old gladiator style combat's combined with steroids, technologies and modern styles mass media viewing of the fights.
+ Prose: It's easily readable prose that flows smoothly and quite immersive. It maintains a smooth tone all through, which works well mostly but in key situations lacks to bring forth the emotive content.

What was ok:
+ Characters: Well written but nobody really stood out. They have personality but just feel generic (as in we've read such characterization before in other books)

+ Plot: Felt like a setting of stage book and didn't really develop the plot much. I expected the training segments to be more prominent but sadly it didn't stand out.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Tarot was awful. I had to force myself to finish the second and can't bring myself to start the third. I'll read that sometime just to ensure the world is complete, but god...Tarot is crap!
So I finally finished the third book. It was not as bad as the second, but not great. If you don’t want to get through it here are the 3 big points that relate to the main story line: