Fantasy tournament: World Cup 2014

Polaroid

All players whose nations will be at WC 2014, are available for drafting, except Messi & Ronaldo. For the purpose of this competition, these players are judged based on their performance level in 2013/2014 season (club and international). Each manager gets to pick 12 players to form a squad (11 starters and 1 substitute). Limiting condition: 1 player from each nation in the squad.

Managerial openings for 8 teams (solo or joint managerial applications are welcome)

Competition format is straight knockout. After the 1st round, winning teams draft from a common pool of players drawn from the eliminated teams (the drafting order will be reversed from that of the primary draft). Post semi-final, winning teams add 1 player from their direct opponent. Keeping in mind the limiting condition, you can either add a player whose nationality you do not have in your squad or replace one that you already have.

Draft setup
* There are 12 rounds of drafting in the primary draft and 4 rounds in the secondary draft
* Primary draft sequence
Round 1,3,5,7,9,11 - starts with Team 1 and ends with Team 8
Round 2,4,6,8,10,12 - starts with Team 8 and ends with Team 1
* You have 8 hours to post your draft pick. If you do not do so, the draft proceeds to the next manager in line and it is up to you to post your draft pick at your earliest convenience.
* Your draft pick is valid only after you have updated the overall list of picks.
* PM the manager next in line after you have made your pick
* After the draft is complete, match threads with public polls will be started where each manager posts their match team, tactics and any persuasive arguments why their team has an upper hand over the opposition etc.

Cal?

CR7 fan
me, haven't done one of these for ages...

Wouldn't this basically be a 13/14 all star draft with no Messi, Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Looks pretty hard this one! The last few picks could be very difficult.

Would prefer an All Time World Cup draft but I'll give this one a shot

Polaroid

me, haven't done one of these for ages...

Wouldn't this basically be a 13/14 all star draft with no Messi, Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic?
Welcome back Cal
Bale, Lewandowski, Cech, Alaba are also missing from the WC and this draft

Looks pretty hard this one! The last few picks could be very difficult.

Would prefer an All Time World Cup draft but I'll give this one a shot
I would like a WC All-Stars draft too, but I think 16 teams would be more apt for that. Would not be able to organise that unless I have some help.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I would like a WC All-Stars draft too, but I think 16 teams would be more apt for that. Would not be able to organise that unless I have some help.

Yes I agree, its a really big pool. Although saying that the constrictions could make it smaller and difficult enough for 8 teams.

Either way is fine, both are good ideas Pol.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Tentative in while I wrap my head around it. How can you judge players on their 2013-14 performance when it is still 2013?

Are we drafting now and holding this post-WC? That would be an interesting mix of drafting and betting.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Seems I hadn't refreshed and this was done and dusted. Good luck guys.

In any case, I reckon it ain't a bad idea to hold it again next year, with the exact same drafted teams, and see how much impact a year/CL/WC makes.

Polaroid

Yes I agree, its a really big pool. Although saying that the constrictions could make it smaller and difficult enough for 8 teams.

Either way is fine, both are good ideas Pol.
I prefer 16 teams, if anybody is willing to co-organise, we can proceed some time in Jan/Feb.

Tentative in while I wrap my head around it. How can you judge players on their 2013-14 performance when it is still 2013?

Are we drafting now and holding this post-WC? That would be an interesting mix of drafting and betting.
Would add you if anyone drops out
Ya, we can draft first and hold the matches in May (I prefer before the WC)

Polaroid

Here you go:

1. Jake
  2. Fergus
  3. Crappy
  4. Theon
  5. Pol
  6. Aldo
  7. Isotope
  8. Cal

Thank you TITO
Jake, your 8 hrs starts now, please update in the format below

Jake 1. "your first round pick"
Fergus
Crappy
Theon
Pol
Aldo
Isotope
Cal

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I prefer 16 teams, if anybody is willing to co-organise, we can proceed some time in Jan/Feb.

Sounds good mate, we'll review it then but I'll probably be able to help.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Andres Iniesta. The best midfielder in the game, nobody offers the range of passing, the positioning, and the composure of the world class Spaniard.

Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus
Crappy
Theon
Pol
Aldo
Isotope
Cal

NM

Anybody want an assistant? If not, I'll be a keen observer.. The last draft winner should get automatic entry. :mad:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus 1. Rooney
Crappy 1. Frank Ribery
Theon
Pol
Aldo
Isotope
Cal

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus 1. Rooney
Crappy 1. Frank Ribery
Theon 1. Falcao
Pol
Aldo
Isotope
Cal

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Jake better hope that Iniesta picks up his form. Hasn't been very good so far and the season is close to half finished.

NM

Jake better hope that Iniesta picks up his form. Hasn't been very good so far and the season is close to half finished.

Agreed. I thought Ribery and Falcao would go one and two.. Rooney and Iniesta are difficult to build teams around..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Welcome back Cal
Bale, Lewandowski, Cech, Alaba are also missing from the WC and this draft

Yeah, thought that there are a few more missing, but generally not that different from a random draft for this season.

Anyway, ready to pick, but off to bed soon... :(

Polaroid

Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus 1. Rooney
Crappy 1. Frank Ribery
Theon 1. Falcao
Pol 1. Van Persie
Aldo
Isotope
Cal

Moby

Dick
Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus 1. Rooney
Crappy 1. Frank Ribery
Theon 1. Falcao
Pol 1. Van Persie
Aldo 1. Schweinsteiger
Isotope
Cal

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Jake 1. Andres Iniesta
Fergus 1. Rooney
Crappy 1. Frank Ribery
Theon 1. Falcao
Pol 1. Van Persie
Aldo 1. Schweinsteiger
Isotope 1. Neymar
Cal

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thanks for including me, Pol. Just login and saw NM and Aldo's pm's

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nice pick, Iso. Was between him and Bastian.
Really? So many excellent no. 10 actually. But the draft is about WC 2014, where I think Neymar will actually shine there.

There's really a shortage of top box to box CM right now. Bastian is the best there.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Here we go again then, iso will pick five #10s. ;)
:lol::lol:

Wanna play this one, Anto? thought of asking NM, but he's an assistant to Aldo now, and won the last one also.

EDIT: if it's ok with others, and Anto doesn't mind with my first pick.