FAO Tottenham Hotspur | Fighting Cock Goes Into Meltdown | Glast...gone

Guy Incognito

Crazy looking back at that time….that team under Poch was fearsome. Ran and fought and worked like hell. Absolute polar opposite of what they are now
Thought they peaked in 15/16. Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembélé all hitting top form.

I remember they went to Stoke and they trounced them magnificently. Should've pushed on to better things, but... lads it's Tottenham.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Crazy to think this lot were in a CL final just 3 seasons ago.
3 seasons is a long time in Football, particularly when you are not one of the clubs that can constantly replenish its team with fresh top talent. Look at Juventus or even Barcelona. In a way those are cautionary tales, you better be successful when you have the opportunity because the opportunity can disappear quickly.

Idxomer

Their problems actually started that season, got top 4 only because United and Arsenal were like really bad for more than half of the season. Chelsea themselves were hardly better either, it was a game of who wants the top 4 less back then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Crazy looking back at that time….that team under Poch was fearsome. Ran and fought and worked like hell. Absolute polar opposite of what they are now
They were woeful that season. Fluked their way to the CL final but had awful performances in the league all year. They had already been declining and a massive drop off in work rate, cohesiveness and effectiveness from the 16/17 season which is the season that Pochettino seemingly lives off of despite doing feck all since.

BorisManUtd

Thought they peaked in 15/16. Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembélé all hitting top form.

I remember they went to Stoke and they trounced them magnificently. Should've pushed on to better things, but... lads it's Tottenham.
I think their peak was more in 2016/17 season, finished the season on 86 points, which would bring them title in some other seasons. Scored most goals and conceded least goals. I really liked that Pochettino's Spurs team, they never won anything in the end unfortunately. If they bring Pochettino back or get Potter then they may be decent again, though there is lot more to change than just a manager.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

They were woeful that season. Fluked their way to the CL final but had awful performances in the league all year. They had already been declining and a massive drop off in work rate, cohesiveness and effectiveness from the 16/17 season which is the season that Pochettino seemingly lives off of despite doing feck all since.
I don’t remember exactly which season(s) it was to be fair…..just remember the nature of the team at their peak. Fast tempo, aggressive, solid all over the pitch. Such a far cry from the static, uninspired bunch they are now.
Even though it started unravelling under Poch, the appointments of Mourinho and Nuno were absolutely wretched

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good question! :lol:

IIRC he came on when we were legitimate top 6 team in the O'Neill era and were finishing above Spurs and he said he liked to go on rival fans forums of teams Spurs were competing with....think he came on the summer we tried to sign David Bentley but Spurs got him.

Was much the way it was on here, him bigging up Spurs way above their level although eventually he did have the last laugh when we gave up as top half prem team from 2010 onwards.

We actually had a couple of other Spurs fans on the forum aswell at same time who were alright....pretty sure there was an AfricanSpur aswell, think there's a user @africanspur on here although no idea if it's the same one.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Good question! :lol:

IIRC he came on when we were legitimate top 6 team in the O'Neill era and were finishing above Spurs and he said he liked to go on rival fans forums of teams Spurs were competing with....think he came on the summer we tried to sign David Bentley but Spurs got him.

Was much the way it was on here, him bigging up Spurs way above their level although eventually he did have the last laugh when we gave up as top half prem team from 2010 onwards.

We actually had a couple of other Spurs fans on the forum aswell at same time who were alright....pretty sure there was an AfricanSpur aswell, think there's a user @africanspur on here although no idea if it's the same one.
Nope , wasn't me, this is the only non Spurs forum I've been on and now the only forum I (very occasionally) post on. There was an Africanspur on another spurs forum I went on occasionally years ago though, was probably him.

We are truly and utterly shite to watch this season. From top to bottom, just an outstanding case study in how to not take advantage of a good situation and to go backwards in every way.

Levy has a lot to answer for over the last 3-4 years and imo should step back from the running of the football side of things now.

Sylar

With full backs bombing on

This the stadium timing fecked them as it was a few seasons of no spending due to it
They needed an extra push at the time with a good signing or two

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wasn’t that why Paratici was brought onboard?
Yep. Whether Patrici is the right man for that or whether Levy can really give up the control is another matter altogether though.

And either way, the squad is in need of a total overhaul now, as opposed to incremental changes, because of 2-3 windows of total inactivity and then subsequent poor signings and poor selling even when Levy did open the chequebook.

Players like Dier, Allí and Winks add nothing for instance and should have been moved on and refreshed at least a season ago.

This was always going to leave Nuno in a difficult position but its been dire regardless.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Wasn’t that why Paratici was brought onboard?
That was my understanding, lets Levy focus on being Tottenham Hotspur Urban Gentrification pty ltd.

Sacking Nuno doesnt really change anything, appeases the fans for a while and puts a new scapegoat in the seat. Who will be sacked in 6 months time because the team is not performing, due mostly to poor decisions by the board and a lack of investment rather than anything the manager has actual control over.

Having said that Nuno's Spurs stats are abysmal, added to his defensive style and letting the opposition team dictate play. This has led to the least km's covered by any team in the league, 9 goals in 10 games with 16 against leading to a -7 GD. whole halves with zero shots on target, they got away with it a few games early on. But really they should be around 15th or so.

Chief123

A lot of people in football are quick to dismiss Poch as someone who never won anything. But for Poch to get top 4 with Spurs 4 years in a row on a shite budget has to be one of the best performing managers the premier league has seen when all variables are considered.

Judas

Open to offers
A lot of people in football are quick to dismiss Poch as someone who never won anything. But for Poch to get top 4 with Spurs 4 years in a row on a shite budget has to be one of the best performing managers the premier league has seen when all variables are considered.
Yes and no. You have to look at the context of what the other big teams were going through during that period. He did very well, and the timing came together well for him and that group at that moment. Still have no interest in seeing him here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From the looks of it Nuno appears to be sacked. Would like to see them appoint Conte, he'll probably do well with them, but it would ensure we have to look elsewhere.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
From the looks of it Nuno appears to be sacked. Would like to see them appoint Conte, he'll probably do well with them, but it would ensure we have to look elsewhere.
Not too sure about that. He’ll pull his wig out after his first meeting with Levy.

Dominos

What is even doing well with Spurs though? They're not winning the league, they don't compete financially with the top clubs. The issue is you don't really get credit for anything in these types of jobs - getting top 4 and failing to win the league with Spurs just makes you a loser apparently judging by what people think of Pochettino on here..

He's basically coming with the only realistic achievement FA cup or League cup and then leave, which will put him alongside recent greats like Juande Ramos, Rodgers, Arteta, Laudrup, Martinez, Dalglish who have recently won it, and they're all still mocked mercilessly.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No shots on target again!

No shots from Son, less than 0.1 xG for Kane. Thought getting those two chances would be immediate, but only 0.09 xG second half.

InfiniteBoredom

This is why I had no fear of Spurs doing anything of note this season. They can shithouse the ECL but that’s about it.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No shots on target again!

No shots from Son, less than 0.1 xG for Kane. Thought getting those two chances would be immediate, but only 0.09 xG second half.
Kane still looks pretty broken.
I'm sure there was a point in the 2nd half where Son had 2 players free to the left of him and he just passed infield. Still a lot of work needed.

marktan

Kane still looks pretty broken.
I'm sure there was a point in the 2nd half where Son had 2 players free to the left of him and he just passed infield. Still a lot of work needed.
Man badly needs a rest, he can barely run, but managers are too short-termist to see it (including Southgate)

acnumber9

A Chelsea fan told us Conte is a really attacking manager because they scored three against a Dutch pub team though.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would probably wait for Haaland to join him first in fairness.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, it's the natural progression - spurs --> madrid

Pavl3n

Was UEFA right to award the win to Rennes? What were Spurs supposed to do? Field a 9 man team?

Withnail

Was UEFA right to award the win to Rennes? What were Spurs supposed to do? Field a 9 man team?
They're better off out of it aren't they?

Although I'm not sure I like the precedent at all. Do we know if Spurs fought the decision at all or just accepted it because it probably suits them?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a dangerous precedent. No one gives a feck cause it's the Conference League but imagine a team got knocked out of the Champions League in such a manner.