FAO Tottenham Hotspur | Fighting Cock Goes Into Meltdown | Glast...gone

YAMS49

There was a wonky full back system earlier in the season (left wing was full back, right wing was wing back).

The issue is, often, that Doherty is a RW in denial, Reguilion is better forwards than he is back, Davies is the complete opposite. Aurier is pretty well rounded, but is a bit like Lloris in that he can have a shocker out of nowhere.

I get the feeling Jose might be expecting too much footballing intelligence from the back lines, and they run into each other too much. Doherty was probably hindered by the COVID thing, but besides that he's not really been used in the same way he was at wolves, so no idea why we bought him unless it was a Mendes bribe.
Have you gone 3-5-2/3-4-3 at any point at all this season?

Strelok

Actually not that ridiculous if you stop and think about it

I mean, Lloris, Kane, Hojberg and NDombele are pretty much locks, and it's not unreasonable to have Son and Aurier as well...

There's really very little between these two teams in individual quality
You're asking for troubles here mate, it's an United forum :D but I agree with you.

People keep comparing the current United players with the current Spurs players, which imo is not accurate and not fair. They've already forgot how shitty our players were under Jose.

If you want to compare the two sides, you must think about the United players under Jose, and how much that guy could make those Spurs players look worse than they actually are.

Ludens the Red

I mean, Lloris, Kane, Hojberg and NDombele are pretty much locks, and it's not unreasonable to have Son and Aurier as well...

I mean I wouldn’t go that far. Lloris and Aurier are not good enough.
The rest for sure is debatable especially the midfield. Hogberg and Ndombele are good players.

Spurs biggest problem is their defence, which individually is way below a top 4 standard. Think you’ve been very kind to Lloris and Aurier. I wouldn’t take them as back up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I just don’t see it with Lloris.

Aurier over AWB is debatable because I don’t rate AWB on the ball at this point (tbh, he’s one of the 4 players I feel we could upgrade on easily), but Aurier is very Lloris-like.
Lloris has consistently ranked among the best shot-stoppers in europe for several years now, and still does this season. Admittedly so does Henderson over these two seasons, but he's played little in the league this season and it's ultimately one season and 8 games vs several seasons

I rate Aurier. Yes he has some ludicrously dumb mistakes in him, but overall i think the good outpaces the bad. And he really offers a lot going forward. Or maybe i just don't rate Wan-Bissaka highly enough, i dunno. I think as it stands he'd be better off in a back 3 to be honest, as the RCB
I do not get why people are calling this a wum post.
Because it was, in fairness :D it was a slow morning and i was bored :lol:
Good team tua sorella.
:lol:
You're asking for troubles here mate, it's an United forum :D but I agree with you.
They caught on too quick :lol:
I mean I wouldn’t go that far. Lloris and Aurier are not good enough.
The rest for sure is debatable especially the midfield. Hogberg and Ndombele are good players.

Spurs biggest problem is their defence, which individually is way below a top 4 standard. Think you’ve been very kind to Lloris and Aurier. I wouldn’t take them as back up.
Aside from the silly player by player comparisons, i do think there is very little between united and spurs in terms of individual quality. Mostly United have a better bench, but the starting XI are pretty even i'd say

Coaching is the difference

SinNombre

I agree with giorno

Only difference between Spurs and current RM team is coaching.

With Zidane as coach, they would be in the CL finals again.

RashyForPM

Lloris has consistently ranked among the best shot-stoppers in europe for several years now, and still does this season. Admittedly so does Henderson over these two seasons, but he's played little in the league this season and it's ultimately one season and 8 games vs several seasons

I rate Aurier. Yes he has some ludicrously dumb mistakes in him, but overall i think the good outpaces the bad. And he really offers a lot going forward. Or maybe i just don't rate Wan-Bissaka highly enough, i dunno. I think as it stands he'd be better off in a back 3 to be honest, as the RCB
We’ll have to agree to disagree on Dean, as is usually the case with keepers; all down to opinion. I just think he’s a better goalkeeper.

With AWB though, as I said, it’s not like a Pogba vs Ndombele or Shaw vs Reguilon decision where both are top class players. I don’t even rate him that highly as he really needs to improve on the ball. Whether he can play RCB or not, I just simply think that Aurier is honestly one of the worst RBs in the league. On good days, he makes one assist and a few mistakes, and on bad days, he makes the game 12v10 in the favour of whoever plays against Spurs.

Infra-red

The Spurs squad is not bad in terms of talent.

The problem is Mourinho and his approach to games - score a goal and then sit deep, cede possession and try to see the game out (except they can never see the game out and so they always drop points).

A better, more positive manager, would get improved performances (and results) from their squad.

Robertd0803

The problem is Mourinho and his approach to games - score a goal and then sit deep, cede possession and try to see the game out (except they can never see the game out and so they always drop points).

A better, more positive manager, would get improved performances (and results) from their squad.
Like Poch used to for example?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

True. Its not as good as it was 3-5 years ago when they had the likes of Eriksen and Verthongen, but they are comfortably better than Everton, Arsenal and West Ham

Infra-red

Like Poch used to for example?
As @Bobcat says above, Mourinho doesn't have a prime Eriksen to call upon, but yes, Pochettino's Spurs were a lot better than Mourinho's version.

The thing is, Spurs are still capable of performing well, as evidenced by the way they have generally started games this season. The problem is that Mourinho appears to have given them instructions that as soon as they get the lead they must sit deep and try to see out the game (either that or they simply aren't fit enough to sustain their early-game performance level). Either way, they aren't good enough defensively to withstand long periods of pressure. These stats from Sky Sports make for stark reading:

Essentially, Spurs' first half performances are among the best in the league, while their second half performances are among the worst.

Siorac

It basically says all training must be done with the ball to replicate real match situations
That's very surprising coming from Mourinho. He'd play the games themselves without the ball if he could.

iHicksy

True. Its not as good as it was 3-5 years ago when they had the likes of Eriksen and Verthongen, but they are comfortably better than Everton, Arsenal and West Ham
Yeah it's definitely a top 4 capable squad based purely off of the fact they have Kane and Son. They have the second best pure 9 in world football and one of the top attacking mids/2nd striker in the league. Both of those walk into every team in the league. Then they have the likes of Bale, Ali, Moura, regulion, Ndombele etc. Their defense isn't as strong as it was but if they played a more attacking brand of football they have enough fire power to be a force.

Robertd0803

As @Bobcat says above, Mourinho doesn't have a prime Eriksen to call upon, but yes, Pochettino's Spurs were a lot better than Mourinho's
A lot easier on the eye as well. Must frustrate the life out of Spurs fans that they have a team that is much better than this considering the quality they have. (Or certainly what they are allowed to be).

justsomebloke

I'd say Lloris is on a comparable level to De Gea and Henderson, with not much to separate either way. Shaw beats Reguilon, Maguire beats any Spurs CB, last CB spot is pretty much a toss-up between Lindelof and whoever you see as Spurs best CB. Wan-Bissaka is on balance I think better than Aurier or Doherty. Hojbjerg is better than any DM United has, but Pogba is better than Ndombele, and Bruno is way better than any AMC Spurs have. Son beats Rashford, Kane beats any striker we have and on the right there's rather a shortage of first-rate alternatives, on both teams. I suppose you could argue Rashford, since Son gets the left spot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Because it was, in fairness :D it was a slow morning and i was bored :lol:

:lol:

They caught on too quick :lol:

Aside from the silly player by player comparisons, i do think there is very little between united and spurs in terms of individual quality. Mostly United have a better bench, but the starting XI are pretty even i'd say

Coaching is the difference
This is a hilarious last line as every time United don't win with a good performance the whole forum is awash with talk of how poor our coaching supposedly is.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Since mid December they've won 7 out of 20 league games.

Leeds are only team in top half they've beaten. Lost to all of Liverpool (twice), Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester and two Manchester clubs since December 16th.

Dumped out of two cup competitions in that period.

Interestingly Kane and Son have both started 18 of those 20 games aswell. Indeed think both have only actually missed two league games all season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Leeds are only team in top half they've beaten. Lost to all of Liverpool (twice), Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester and two Manchester clubs since December 16th.

Interestingly Kane and Son have both started 18 of those 20 games aswell. Indeed think both have only actually missed two league games all season.
His big game record has been pretty awful dating back to his last months at United.

Since THAT 2-3 vs City i think he's barely won any.

Counterfactual

They've lost 9 of those 20. By comparison, we've lost 1 of the last 20.

That's horrific. Jose's got to go, surely? Presumably there are end-of-season targets which he'll miss and he'll be sacked then.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wasn't just his last months.

His entire reign here his big game record was pretty crap.
He dined out on a couple of 0-0s at Anfield (and also beating them at OT when Rashford had a great game) and also that Chelsea home win he was getting plenty of plaudits in the press even though it meant little in the context of that league season.

In fairness to him given the situation the europa league final was very big for Man. United and he got it right.

Think the Sevilla home defeat is big turning point in later part of his career, lost the FA cup final two months later so think that's when the cloak of invincibility in the big finals and knock out ties started to crumble.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Guess there's a disconnect between the Hilarious Online Bantz and Sponsorship departments over at Dulux. I'm kinda happy with that - in addition to how it's funny how it hits Spurs, I really don't like these companies (and many clubs) desperately trying to funny on social media.

I bet Levy is absolutely fecking furious.

new sponsor just takes the absolute piss! It’s hilarious, and incredibly embarrassing for Spurs. Even their sponsors don’t take them seriously.

lads it’s spurs…

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I bet Levy is absolutely fecking furious.

new sponsor just takes the absolute piss! It’s hilarious, and incredibly embarrassing for Spurs. Even their sponsors don’t take them seriously.

lads it’s spurs…
That's what the person who posted those tweets said when they were called into the boss' office.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Went to check FC reaction on Pogba's interview, found this from March..
New contract for that clown ole. Another 3 years of trophyless then for them
12pts ahead of us as it stands. Wish we were that shit.
Beyond unbelievable and they are not that good as well.
The sum of our parts is less than it should be as is our points tally.
12pts ahead of spurs is now united standard ?
Used to be a club who challenge for every title now their achievement is 12 pts ahead of spurs LMAO
I would take our points plus 12 mate.
However you view it the joke really is on us in my opinion..
We aren't their measurements , their measurements supposed to be a silverware but since they have fallen from their grace , having 12 more point than us has now becoming their achievement
3 years trophyless and counting
I know. So glad we don't have 12pts more. Egg all over their face!
I don't care, 12 pts ahead of us isn't achievement and even if we had 12pts more , it's also not an achievement, you guys are so used to be trophyless ,until having more points is considered as achievement for spurs it's embarrassing
we can finish this league being 17th it doesn't matter if we won the UEL
Well Mourinho has us 12 points behind a PE teacher.
But when he was sacked by Man Utd he was 13 pts behind Tottenham.

Hmmm. Pure coincidence or just a, shit past their sell by date manager, who has overseen a 25 points worse manager performance than a PE teacher, and a won nothing Argentinian ?
By the way, I reckon odds are a lot shorter on you being back in the bin than Jose being a success.
talking about points difference are small timer , United is trophyless without Jose Mourinho that's the only thing matter , we are already trophyless since you couldnt even piss straight. but i guess congrats for having "12pts more than spurs trophy" for united
I've no idea how United are where they are, as I think they are still pretty shit in comparison to what they once were. They can be good on the counter which suits them in games where they are playing against better teams than themselves. But they have as many average players as we do. Maguire, Lindelof, Baily, Telles, Wan-Bissaka, Donny Van De Wahlberg, Fred, McTominay, James, Martial...

Though had Liverpool not somehow transformed into Cowdenbeath this season, and Chelsea had Tuchel at the beginning of the season, United wouldn't be where they are now.
this week
Is this the 'different manager, same players' thread?
After a couple of seasons listening to the Cult of Anfield the last few days have been a useful reminder how fecking annoying United are.
Anyone else really want to punch frodo hard this week. Smug as feck this week. Blaming red banners for their poor home form, saying how he wants to win the right way not cheating . The fecking irony
Soljskaer has simply and quietly got on with his job.
Ooh, found it, see ya soon

No Idea For Nickname

El Magnifico currently looking for a quote from 19 years ago to counter this video, even though it’s literally straight from the horses mouth, players fecking hate Mourinho
‘Put players on the side and then they don’t exist anymore’

hmm where have I seen that this season
‘Explosive exclusive interview’ Sky’s headlines are so ridiculous , nothing explosive about that interview he comes across very calm and level headed. I guess Sky is no better than the Daily Mail
I suspect there’s some truth in it but maybe if it came from a player who doesn’t agitate for a move every time he isn’t picked I’d probably respect it a lot more. Pogba is just a bellend.
I resent so much how Mournho has made me feel such apathy for the club that I love.
There‘s nothing interesting about what Pogba is saying, you could find such quotes about any top manager. We heard the same thing about Poch, that he never explained why players were dropped, would suddenly exile players etc. I’ve seen it said about Pep, Klopp, Zidane, everybody. Of course Mourinho’s personality and big mouth lead to him being hated by many people so he gets a kicking over things that most other managers don’t.
Tuchel has exiled Tammy Abraham from most of his squads but nobody says a bad word about that. I’m not defending Mourinho it’s just that he does have all this baggage that makes his job so much harder. Whatever your thoughts on him, he absolutely does get treated differently to other managers. Then again he only has himself to blame for that.
The more I’m seeing the hate for him the more I’m thinking maybe he stays. Most of ye couldn’t tell a winning manager from a list of them!

I decide at the end of the season. Until then, I’m back in
The difference between what you say Pep, Klopp, Zidane and Jose do, is Jose does it all in public, not behind closed doors. Can you imagine any other manager freely offering up the constant individual player criticism that has been a trademark of Jose over the last years.
The other managers, just like Jose used to do when he first came to England, would protect their players from individual criticism, he is out on his own with the way he operates now.
Being shit at your job and paid 30 million quid to be sacked, what a fecking life
The stuff of dreams.
To me, this is everything wrong with football and also the reason why the outdated, tired and overly used cliche "you have to give the manager time" is borderline offensive.
Even Poch, who seemingly loved Spurs and was adored by Spurs fans, was happy getting tonked, losing the squad, sitting bottom half of the table as long as he got sacked and paid rather than walking away.
If he walked away after the champions league final he's have walked away a proud man, with a fantastic record and leaving a legacy. But he, like everyone else wanted the money he was contractually entitled to.
IMO, Managers are 3-5 years these days. Clubs shouldn't fear them being poached as they'll go anyway. Give then no more than 2 year deals. And always have perormance breaks. Give the club a reason to sack a manager and NOT pay them.
Our players have performance related bonus' to keep them motivated. Why not pay the manager in the same way.

Judas

Open to offers
Is there a Utd forum where Utd fans give out loads of nicknames? We don't do it on here, there must be a land of misfit toys for Utd fans who get thrown off here and then spend time coming up with weird names for oppositions teams.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They're going in on that "aspiring to be 12 points above Tottenham" as if they weren't the ones who brought it up :lol: as if we care how far ahead of them we are, we're more concerned with City.

No Idea For Nickname

From the same Mourinho thread on Fighting Cock:

I had to post this article, just because of the headline, which isn't fecking about.

Where next for the soul-sapping sociopath Mourinho when Spurs finally see sense?
Is Jose Mourinho's time running out at Tottenham Hotspur? The manager's methods are forming a cycle all too familiar with Premier League fans.
thefootballfaithful.com

Note: I haven't read it, it's probably just the same old shit, but the title made me laugh.