Gaming Far Cry 6 - Oct 7th 2021

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Coming out next week, who else is getting it?
I'll probably pick it up around christmas rather than straight away, but I've enjoyed all of the games in the series so even more of the same is fine with me.

Nickosaur

Unless reviews are insanely good, I won't be picking this up anytime soon.

Far Cry 3 was a genuinely fun and beautiful world to explore. 4 was good but very much the same formula and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much - so I just wasn't interested enough to pick up 5.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Think I’ll get it. I haven’t played PS in ages, but I really enjoyed all the Far Cry games, and I am a little bored these days.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Got in on pre order! Need to hurry up and finish death loop then get stuck in.

Meller

Far Cry 3 is still my favourite as the setting/animals was the most fun. Also the fact that every game since has been basically the same set in new places has put me off this a bit. I'll wait for a few months I think.

Leg-End

One of those games you just know will be everywhere for about £25 in a few months, good or not.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone know if you can use mouse and keyboard on PS5?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You can but the console version of the game needs to have support for it. Reddit seems to think this will because Valhalla supported it.

Yeah that was my question really :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

A review here of Far Cry 6. While I haven't played the game, it sums up my views of open-world Ubisoft games. Creatively bankrupt. And they have been for some time.
The issue is that while I liked the turn that Odyssey took, it's fair to say that most people seemed to have an issue with it and wanted to see Ubisoft stick to the origins of AC. While I agree with the points made, they are not as popular as it should.

Abraxas

Looks like standard Far Cry fare. A totally and utterly boring formula at this point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Despite that I think I’ll still get it. I’ve been in the mood for any open world game for a while and I’d probably replay Far Cry 5 at this point so I don’t mind. Something different would be nice of course but hopefully some other games can provide that.

Shark

@NotShark
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

A review here of Far Cry 6. While I haven't played the game, it sums up my views of open-world Ubisoft games. Creatively bankrupt. And they have been for some time.
Aside from Rockstar who is really creating creative/spontaneous open world games these days? Recently Cyberpunk 2077 was creative but everything else fell flat. Nobody has really gotten it right since TW3 which released back in 2015. We're definitely in need of somebody to come along and raise the bar again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Aside from Rockstar who is really creating creative/spontaneous open world games these days? Recently Cyberpunk 2077 was creative but everything else fell flat. Nobody has really gotten it right since TW3 which released back in 2015. We're definitely in need of somebody to come along and raise the bar again.
Even Rockstar’s model is outdated. Go here, do this, kill these people, follow this exact route on the map, etc…

I’m not sure what the next step is for sandbox games but someone needs to find it.

The Firestarter

What about Watchdogs legion? Have not played it yet, but the interactions with the NPCs seems like interesting idea.

Shark

@NotShark
Even Rockstar’s model is outdated. Go here, do this, kill these people, follow this exact route on the map, etc…

I’m not sure what the next step is for sandbox games but someone needs to find it.
True but the world itself is what sets it apart. It genuinely feels like you're apart of it which is something I'd felt with TW3 also when if the maps aren't brimming with life the mystery and willingness to explore is there in spades. I guess we could add Breath Of The Wild also.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I haven't really played many open-world games recently, perhaps due to the fact that none of them have really appealed to me. Open world fatigue, I think.

The last ones I did play that truly felt special were Breath of The Wild and Phantom Pain just to name two. Obviously, those aren't "new" games, but to me, those are open-world games that felt rewarding and provided you with a great sense of discovery. No doubt there's more, but Ubisoft games really don't give you a great sense of discovery. They give you the illusion of it, but it's all a facade.

Even Rockstar to be honest. The worlds they create are very impressive, but you're confined to an outdated mission structure that's quite boring.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sounds like there's an issue with enemies respawning if you even move slightly away from an area. Maybe I'll wait til it's had a few patches.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Semi open spaces are working better these days - like Neir Automata and God of War, where every inch is memorable and important rather than acres and acres of nothing (assassins creed).

Far Cary 6 seems to be more of the same, really.

Shark

@NotShark
Semi open spaces are working better these days - like Neir Automata and God of War, where every inch is memorable and important rather than acres and acres of nothing (assassins creed).

Far Cary 6 seems to be more of the same, really.
Fully agreed. GOW is a great example. TLOU2 although somewhat disappointing story wise also had some great areas to wander around.

JohnZSmith27

I definitely enjoyed this more than Far Cry 4 and 5.

The map is feckin huge and there's no way I'll be completing everything but the main missions and some of the side missions were enough to keep me entertained during my playthrough.

It's the same Far Cry formula with regards to whacky side missions and animal buddies. Plus the usual outposts to be liberated. I'm just glad there's no poxy towers to climbs to unlock visibility of the area map.

I love the whole aesthetic of the game and some of the voice acting is quality. Some of it not so much.

Giancarlo Esposito puts in a great performance as expected.

All in all it was a good playthrough but nothing you haven't seen before in the franchise other than the new setting and some of the weapons. I pretty much stuck to the same weapons throughout and was never really in any situation i couldn't deal with. Some of the main missions where there's enemies all over the place and you're shooting helicopters and planes out of the sky and roasting people with a flamethrower, are genuinely so much fun.

I'd give it a 7.5. It's a solid, entertaining game but I would have liked them to freshen up the series at this stage. As entertaining as this is, making the map bigger with more little bits to complete doesn't always make it a better game when those bits get repetitive as feck.

Jacob

I was interested in buying this game but after reading reviews I've steered clear.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve heard about constant enemy respawns, bullet sponges and all sorts so I’m waiting til it gets patched a couple times. Impressed with my restraint tbh. Haven’t bought any of the new games I want to try.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I definitely enjoyed this more than Far Cry 4 and 5.

The map is feckin huge and there's no way I'll be completing everything but the main missions and some of the side missions were enough to keep me entertained during my playthrough.

It's the same Far Cry formula with regards to whacky side missions and animal buddies. Plus the usual outposts to be liberated. I'm just glad there's no poxy towers to climbs to unlock visibility of the area map.

I love the whole aesthetic of the game and some of the voice acting is quality. Some of it not so much.

Giancarlo Esposito puts in a great performance as expected.

All in all it was a good playthrough but nothing you haven't seen before in the franchise other than the new setting and some of the weapons. I pretty much stuck to the same weapons throughout and was never really in any situation i couldn't deal with. Some of the main missions where there's enemies all over the place and you're shooting helicopters and planes out of the sky and roasting people with a flamethrower, are genuinely so much fun.

I'd give it a 7.5. It's a solid, entertaining game but I would have liked them to freshen up the series at this stage. As entertaining as this is, making the map bigger with more little bits to complete doesn't always make it a better game when those bits get repetitive as feck.
Is the map interesting and worthy of being so big? Doesn't sound it so much if it's repetitive.

Grib

I'm enjoying it, though will say have never played a fc before this is the first one I bough (sucker for a fancy trailer) So I guess I can see how someone who's played a previous game might find it a bit meh. Similar to how I enjoyed ac1 then couldn't be arsed with further ones as climbing a tower and speaking to the same four npc types before fecking up an assassination and having to murder a load of people a million times over got steal real quick

Some of the characters and their related side missions are fairly interesting and I feel there's enough diversity in their missions.

There's a fair bit of redundant copy paste missions but I just don't bother with them unless they happen to be on route or I'm passing them

Gun play is nice, some fun weapons and can't beat flying an attack helicopter about from a to b

Chicharron is the man even if he does have a tendancy to get run over by passing vehicles too often

Some of the other vehicles you can get are fun, story progression seems a decent pace too

I've not run into any bullet sponge or enemy respawn bugs that I've noticed (there was a patch last week)

JohnZSmith27

Is the map interesting and worthy of being so big? Doesn't sound it so much if it's repetitive.
I think it needs to be that big to allow for the couple of small towns that are there. They would be on top of each other if they weren't able to be spread out. Its got a good mix of little tropical islands and mountains and jungles etc. There's even airports and apartment blocks and stuff so it's more than what we've seen in earlier games.

The problem is that you're doing the same type of side mission throughout. The main missions are pretty varied and take you all over the map but if you're exploring and wanting do complete all the side quests, it's super repetitive although I guess you could say that about a lot of games. I guess I would have just liked some more variety in the side quests to make exploring such a huge area more rewarding.

I should mention the player character is probably my favourite of the series. I went with the female character and there's actually some substance to her. She has some good one liners and even starts singing along to the radio sometimes if you have it on. I don't know the actress who plays her but sue puts in a good performance

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think it needs to be that big to allow for the couple of small towns that are there. They would be on top of each other if they weren't able to be spread out. Its got a good mix of little tropical islands and mountains and jungles etc. There's even airports and apartment blocks and stuff so it's more than what we've seen in earlier games.

The problem is that you're doing the same type of side mission throughout. The main missions are pretty varied and take you all over the map but if you're exploring and wanting do complete all the side quests, it's super repetitive although I guess you could say that about a lot of games. I guess I would have just liked some more variety in the side quests to make exploring such a huge area more rewarding.

I should mention the player character is probably my favourite of the series. I went with the female character and there's actually some substance to her. She has some good one liners and even starts singing along to the radio sometimes if you have it on. I don't know the actress who plays her but sue puts in a good performance
Yeah sounds quite typical of open world games. I might have a look at this over the Christmas period

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got this on offer the other day and it’s decent. Nothing groundbreaking but it’ll do. Some obvious flaws in it though and there’s too much shit to collect. Once you leave Libertad HQ and the world opens up its like there’s quests everywhere. There’s shit you can build and missions you can send people on. I also did a special mission at a dinosaur park that it wanted me to do co-op? I earned different money for that one. It’s just a bit all over the place and trying to do too much.

Civilians are dumb too. I rescue some from being killed and as I pass the guy he’s like “watch yourself”. You fecking what mate? I just saved your life. Instant bullet to the head, and then the game warns you about killing civilians.

The world is very pretty even if it’s lacking depth. I’ve had a few instances where enemies have respawned which is annoying. But it’s fine overall. Wish Ubisoft would pull their finger out of their arse though.