Far right & anti Semitic leaders win Hungarian election

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Welcome to today's episode of the Farce That is Hungary!

The latest news is that the Foundation for Popularisation of Law Enforcement (oh yes, that is a thing!) issued certificates to the President of Parliament and to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, for, and I quote, "Serving the Homeland" and for "regarding crime prevention as highly important".

But that's not the best part! Look at the certificates themselves!

The bloke on the right of both certificates, the one who has seemingly consumed several pig farms in their entirety recently, is the president of the foundation. Because of course such a loyal soldier of the regime has to promote himself in every possible way!

Bonus: under the pictures it says that they were issued in the "cradle of Christian Hungary", referring to the town of Esztergom. Such poetic beauty.
I genuinely thought they were marriage certificates.

Siorac

https://www.tol.org/client/article/28106-hungary-media-vikotr-orban-takeover-oligarchs.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...gainst-slave-law-overtime-rules-idUSKBN1O70FM

Just be aware that we're still building an authoritarian oligarchy right in the middle of Europe. As an EU country, no less.

Thankfully, the government communications were hard at work justifying the new slave labour laws: apparently, people want to work more and earn more money and that's why a lot of young people move abroad: because they can work more there! Although actually they can't because we're already leading the EU in legal overtime but facts and truth never stopped this regime, really.

A government spokesman also said that "not all workers protest". When faced with a survey that claims 83% of Hungarian workers are against the change, he replied "I don't know this organisation, but it looks very authentic, it might be that they even get money from Soros". Yes, this is the level of political discourse in a current EU country.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only solace I have is, eventually Hungarians will see the far right have nothing to offer.

Siorac

Just some more fun Hungary stuff for you Brexit-obsessed folks, so you can see what's going on in other parts of our lovely continent.

The state TV had an interview with an "independent legal expert" about the recent case when opposition MPs tried to get into the TV HQ to read their demands on air, regarding the slave labour laws. A video has surfaced now of the uncut version of the interview - where the interviewer tells him to rephrase his last sentence to include a certain word (to emphasise that the security guards were "protecting" the TV workers).

Independent, credible media in an EU country, folks. And again, this is the state TV. Our tax is paying for this.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The only solace I have is, eventually Hungarians will see the far right have nothing to offer.
Isn't that when it gets most dangerous though because now the ruling party will resort to anything to remain in power? Also - consider the long term damage this regime will do to a country that took a long time to recover from its past, and in some ways never did.

Siorac

Isn't that when it gets most dangerous though because now the ruling party will resort to anything to remain in power? Also - consider the long term damage this regime will do to a country that took a long time to recover from its past, and in some ways never did.
Yes, indeed. They further undermined trust in democracy and the democratic institutions, many of which they completely stripped of their significance and reduced them to mere servants of the regime. That, and their attitude to education, does more damage than even economic incompetence could.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yes, indeed. They further undermined trust in democracy and the democratic institutions, many of which they completely stripped of their significance and reduced them to mere servants of the regime. That, and their attitude to education, does more damage than even economic incompetence could.

Was it you or someone else, that posted that Jobbik have moved to the centre now because Orban has moved so right they have nowhere else to go?

Siorac

Was it you or someone else, that posted that Jobbik have moved to the centre now because Orban has moved so right they have nowhere else to go?
I don't know if I said that but if I did, I was inaccurate.

Jobbik did indeed try to position themselves closer to the centre to attract more voters. As for Fidesz - their rhetoric is MOSTLY extremely right-wing, yes. And some of their policy, too. But the most important thing about Fidesz is that it's a party of cynicism. Their most important ideology is that of staying in power. They are gauging the demand and adapting what they offer based on that. The most important, most consistent policy is to create an elite that is loyal to the regime and dependent on it. They have been extremely successful at this.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Siorac

Justin Trudeau tried this in Canada, too. Thankfully the opposition parties had the stones to call it out and he backed down.
The opposition parties called it out here, too, but they have next to no power to stop it (and indeed they didn't, the bill has passed): Fidesz has a two thirds majority so they can effectively do anything anyway.

Which, incidentally, is the reason why this law is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things: the only practical effect is that Fidesz will no longer have to rely on their MPs actually showing up in Parliament to pass laws.

Of course it's another step in the complete dismantling of democracy but mostly a symbolic one, I'm afraid.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The opposition parties called it out here, too, but they have next to no power to stop it (and indeed they didn't, the bill has passed): Fidesz has a two thirds majority so they can effectively do anything anyway.

Which, incidentally, is the reason why this law is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things: the only practical effect is that Fidesz will no longer have to rely on their MPs actually showing up in Parliament to pass laws.

Of course it's another step in the complete dismantling of democracy but mostly a symbolic one, I'm afraid.
Yeah, Trudeau has a minority government otherwise we'd have been in the same boat. I mean, they did put a finite timeline on it but subverting the parliamentary process is pretty low, however you slice it.

Hopefully things will return to normal for you guys once this is over.

Siorac

Yeah, Trudeau has a minority government otherwise we'd have been in the same boat. I mean, they did put a finite timeline on it but subverting the parliamentary process is pretty low, however you slice it.

Hopefully things will return to normal for you guys once this is over.
For us, this IS normal and has been for 10 years now. And since their popularity, sadly, continues being high, there's little chance of change any time soon despite the promising municipal elections last autumn.