Books Favorite non-fiction reads

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Evelyn Waugh's When the Going was Good is an interesting account of his travels in the 1930s, going to Haile Selassie's coronation among other trips.
Waugh's such a formidable writer.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Evelyn Waugh's When the Going was Good is an interesting account of his travels in the 1930s, going to Haile Selassie's coronation among other trips.
Waugh's such a formidable writer.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve never read any of his stuff. Somewhat related, Ryszard Kapuscinski‘s The Emperor on Selassie’s last days is an interesting read, but probably not among my very favorites.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve never read any of his stuff. Somewhat related, Ryszard Kapuscinski‘s The Emperor on Selassie’s last days is an interesting read, but probably not among my very favorites.
Cheers. I know next to zero about Selassie. The coronation has a random bunch of journos covering it, not quite sure why they're there and making any old crap up to wire back to the office.

2cents

Scout
From the second of Eric Hobsbawm’s classic trilogy of the long 19th century:

“The bourgeoisie of the third quarter of the nineteenth century was overwhelmingly ‘liberal’, not necessarily in a party sense (though as we have seen Liberal parties were prevalent), as in an ideological sense. They believed in capitalism, in competitive private enterprise, technology, science and reason. They believed in progress, in a certain amount of representative government, a certain amount of civil rights and liberties, so long as these were compatible with the rule of law and with the kind of order which kept the poor in their place. They believed in culture rather than religion, in extreme cases substituting the ritual attendance at opera, theatre or concert for that at church. They believed in the career open to enterprise and talent, and that their own lives proved its merits.”

Obviously the entire trilogy is great, but the second (The Age of Capital) is probably my favorite of them. All three suffer from Eurocentrism, but that’s about the only major flaw I can think of.

Apart from these, everything he wrote is worth reading.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Say Nothing: A True Story Of Murder and Memory In Northern Ireland - Patrick Radden Keefe

A book about the disappearing of Jean McConville, a mother of 10 abducted from her home in Belfast in 1972, the IRA and Troubles more generally, and investigation into who was involved. It was so good that I was disappointed when it suddenly ended despite there being 35% left in the Kindle version. I'd forgotten about the citations and notes.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Say Nothing: A True Story Of Murder and Memory In Northern Ireland - Patrick Radden Keefe

A book about the disappearing of Jean McConville, a mother of 10 abducted from her home in Belfast in 1972, the IRA and Troubles more generally, and investigation into who was involved. It was so good that I was disappointed when it suddenly ended despite there being 35% left in the Kindle version. I'd forgotten about the citations and notes.
Finished that the other month, engrossing read.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Finished that the other month, engrossing read.
I picked it up after listening to his podcast Wind of Change, which was also fascinating, about whether the CIA wrote the Scorpions' hit song "Wind of Change" during the collapse of the Soviet Union.

It made me want a TV series akin to the Wire that delves into the various factions (republicans, unionists, police/military, and public caught in the crossfire). It would obviously be challenging to make.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

That's actually my next read. Sounds great.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Natives by Akala is a fantastic read.

This is partly because, despite much seeming and some very real progress, public discourse about racism is still as childish and supine as it ever was. Where we do discuss race in public, we have been trained to see racism – if we see it at all – as an issue of interpersonal morality. Good people are not racist, only bad people are. This neat binary is a great way of avoiding any real discussion at all. But without the structural violence of unequal treatment before the law and in education, and a history of racial exploitation by states, simple acts of personal prejudice would have significantly less meaning. In short, we are trained to recognise the kinds of racism that tend to be engaged in by poorer people. Thus even the most pro-empire of historians would probably admit that some football hooligan calling a Premier League player a ‘black cnut’ is a bad thing, even while they spend their entire academic careers explaining away, downplaying and essentially cheering for the mass-murdering white-supremacist piracy of the British Empire, which starved millions to death in India, enslaved and tortured millions more in countless locations and often used its power to crush, not enhance, popular democracy and economic development in its non-white colonies, especially when doing so suited larger aims. Poor people racism, bad, rich people racism, good.

2cents

Scout
Just finished a re-read of David Simon’s Homocide. Probably the best work of true-crime journalism I’ve read, although I’m gonna do through The Corner again next to see how it compares.

Maagge

Can some of you recommend any good books on medical history and the like? I'm thinking of getting my brother something like that for Christmas. I'm not talking university textbooks but medical stuff that could be interesting for anyone.

2cents

Scout
Can some of you recommend any good books on medical history and the like? I'm thinking of getting my brother something like that for Christmas. I'm not talking university textbooks but medical stuff that could be interesting for anyone.
Only thing I can think of is this by an old teacher of mine, I read it years ago and can’t remember much about it but it may be of interest to your brother -https://books.google.ie/books?id=zwjGz-vMk9kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ottoman+medicine&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ottoman medicine&f=false

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You could get him the biography or works of Ibn Sina (also known as Avicenna)? He's the pioneer of modern medicine. Had a really interesting life.

Edit: This is a good one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avicennas-...feb8c&pd_rd_wg=2jF4B&pd_rd_i=1594774323&psc=1

Maagge

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The opening page of T. E. Lawrence’s Seven Pillars of Wisdom, his famous account of the Arab Revolt of WW1:

There are passages which, it has been claimed, are more fiction than fact, but it’s such an engaging, atmospheric read that I’ve gone back to many times.

This reminds me of a great book I re-read this year.

Exterminate All The Brutes by a Swede called Sven Lundqvist. It's a great book as an overview of racism and genocide, and how we interface with it. Or don't moreseo.