Favourite United PL season?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Which season was it where we couldn't defend to save our lives until December but still found ways to win, 12/13?
Yeah 12/13. Second half Vidic returned and did better defensively.

diarm

Was 06/07 the season we scored that goal against Bolton from their corner?

If so, that's definitely my favourite season. We just scored goals from anywhere and everywhere all season long. Electric football.

kthanksbye

06/07 easily.
Arsenal invincible followed by Jose winning back to back leagues, 3 years without a league title and the worms came out of their holes talking about how manutd is done as a club, SAF is past it.

I remember reading an article after we were KO'd of the CL group stages in 05? against Benfica? the last sentence of that article read, "at the theatre of dreams, the nightmare has just begun"

A big feck you to everyone when we win the next 3 and 5 out of the next 7, losing 1 on GD and the other by one point. Winning a CL and playing 2 finals.

That has to be the sweetest.

Longshanks

95/96, 'you cant win anything with kids' cantonas redemption, 12 points behind in jan, the whole country behind Newcastle and Keegan oh and a cup final victory over the scousers via a late winner from Cantona(who else). It was brilliant.

We have had better teams and more successful seasons but that really was sweet after being completely written off after one game and it was the breakout year for the majority of the clas of 92 who would proove to be the backbone of a period of domination.

redmanx

Those of a more mature age will most likely pick the 1974/75 season in the second division. For a 17 year old every away game was an adventure , pay on the gate and grounds 75% full of reds. Games like Blackpool and Sheff Wed with up to 25,000 mostly teenage reds taking over towns and grounds all decked out in butchers coats and scarfs from every loop on your jeans. And of course we won the league , a second division side with the highest average attendance in the country.
They were great days indeed; it seemed we thought we would win every match.....and very nearly did! But I didnt enjoy going to Millwall!

IRELANDUNITED

2007-08. I was only 9 and 10 for the treble season but I vividly remember 08. What a season, Ronaldo won the ballon dor as well. I wish I could relive that because I slightly took it for granted back then

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
92/93 was fantastic after the long wait and crushing disappointment of the previous season. Hard to top.

95/96 was pure, Eric inspired, joy.

98/99 was the pinnacle. Don't think I'll ever experience another one quite like it.

90s all the way.

Robertd0803

Took so many of the early PL seasons for granted (especially post Treble) so Ill say 06/07. Beating that Mourinho team when the only person who thought we could was Sir Alex.

07/08 was magic as well.

12/13 is a close one as well just because of where I was in my personal life.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
06/07 easily.
Arsenal invincible followed by Jose winning back to back leagues, 3 years without a league title and the worms came out of their holes talking about how manutd is done as a club, SAF is past it.

I remember reading an article after we were KO'd of the CL group stages in 05? against Benfica? the last sentence of that article read, "at the theatre of dreams, the nightmare has just begun"

A big feck you to everyone when we win the next 3 and 5 out of the next 7, losing 1 on GD and the other by one point. Winning a CL and playing 2 finals.

Wasn't just the media or ABU's either. I remember a lot of our fans writing us off. There were a lot of calls for Fergie to go.

Robin

They were great days indeed; it seemed we thought we would win every match.....and very nearly did! But I didnt enjoy going to Millwall!
Millwall away , a midweek game, Uniteds special had broken down, I travelled up from Portsmouth and was stood with Millwall fans, kept my mouth shut the whole game , 1-0 Gerry Daly penalty, Cardiff away another hairy one.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We should have defended our European title in 2000, Fergie really underperformed in Europe from 1997 to 2004 but that's beyond the point.

I guess my favorite would be our last title winning campaign, had a bitter sweet feel to it and we were rather exciting as well, great times!

On a surprising note I actually kinda enjoyed our 2012 season, was a fun ride disregarding the way it ended up.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
06/07 easily.

Easy to say that with hindsight but at the time it genuinely seemed like the end.
We lost our top scorer as well while bringing in a bunch of unproven youngsters, it seemed that we're done but suddenly everything kicked into gear and we almost won the quadruple (might have done so had we had more depth).

The man was a genius, that would have been the end for most other coaches right there and then.

MrEleson

Started watching religiously around February 2006 so 06/07 was my first full season where I watched every game and I guess I got lucky as it was an incredible season despite only winning the league.

I think with the departure of RVN, the general consensus going into that season was that we were in transition and wouldn’t really challenge for the league. I remember watching a skysports news program at the time and most of the panel members predicted we’d finish 4th behind Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Then that exhilarating first game against Fulham happened where we were 4-0 up inside 19 minutes in one of the most dominating home performances we’d had in a long time which of course was a small indication of the potential the team had for that season and the years to come. I think the meteoric rise of Rooney and especially Ronaldo is what really what made that season special. They were the two most exciting players in the country.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's a toss up between 06/07 and 02/03 for me.

06/07 was special because we got our trophy back from Mourinho's Chelsea and we did it with Ronaldo and Rooney. Carrick proved himself in his first season with us. Ronaldo's goal away to Fulham was when I was convinced we were going to win the title after 3 years of missing out. The future looked bright, and it was for a little while before Ronaldo left for Madrid.

02/03 was done with my favourite squad of players, that core of the Class of 92, Keane, Ruud (his only title with us) and the likes of Brown, O'Shea, Ole and Diego. I still remember us drawing at Highbury and Fergie going over to our fans and pumping his fists like he knew what was coming. We should've won that game too, because Thierry Henry was miles offside for his goal. Ruud's goal was brilliant and just like our title win, looked inevitable.

*Edit*

Holy shit just realised I forgot about the Treble season. Maybe having not won the title for so long has made the seasons where we got it back after not winning it for a long time stick out more in my mind. I was 15 in 1999 and remember being on a 3 way call with my schoolmates while Sheringham and Ole scored our goals. We were going berserk over the phone.

Last edited: