Favourite United PL season?

Man-United

What's your favourite United season in the Premier League?

Mine has to be 06-07, attacking wise we had so much, also 07-08 added with Tevez in the lineup too. Likely our best squad ever.

99-00 for me was better than 98-99 in the league. We played better football that season than when winning the treble. Probably also helped by the great feeling around the club after the treble also. Shame about going out in CL though so early with getting Real in qf.

Most unexpected? Probably also 06-07, we had pundits predicted us outside top 4.

So for me:
1. 06-07
2. 07-08
3. 99-00
4. 02-03
5. 00-01/96-97

I liked much of the 2001-02 season also but felt Fergie prioritied CL way too much that season when we really should have won our fourth i title in a row. He kind of gave the title away by resting players all autumn in the league while focus on Deportivo and such in CL.

Don't remember 93, 94 and 96 and it certainly wasn't 95!

Last edited:

Jaae

Not ITK
06/07 easily.

Going in to the season we hadn’t won the league for 3 years. Literally nobody thought we’d be in contention for anything. The biggest question at the time was “where will the goals come from?”

Just a shame our relatively small squad ran out of legs at the end. Would have been great for the players to have won it on the pitch rather than at home.

Plus I was 18/19 which was a goat time for me.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
06/07 is up there, it has to be.

The whole Rooney & Ronaldo nonsense over the summer. The press doing their best to convince the world Ronaldo was off for £20m.

Jose's Chelsea signing Shevchenko and Cole on paper looked like a masterclass...of course only one half really worked out.

We'd gone 3 seasons without winning it, and we'd only really brought in Michael Carrick. Then within 20 minutes against Fulham we were 4-0 up on the opening day of the season. The media prediction this would be the year we may even fall out of CL qualification blew over after 1 game.

If it wasn't for Kaka we'd have won the CL that season without a doubt. But it was good education for the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio, Vidic and Carrick.

wolvored

98-99 the treble season. Pipping Arsenal on the final day and the semi final all the drama in that victory. Then to win the EC in injury time after being outplayed was like an Hollywood story. In fact if that season had have been a film or tv series you would have said thats bollocks that would never happen :wenger:

Amir

1995/6. The youngsters, Cantona, the comeback in the league, Cantona, the rise after the summer pessimism and terrible midseason, Cantona. What a story.

choccy77

Winning the first Premier league was the best, followed by the Double Double in 96.

To be fair, we were spoilt for many years and I can't wait for us to become serious contenders again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
2007/08. Was 13/14 during it so football feels like the most important thing in the world, and we work it all.

GueRed

What's your favourite United season in the Premier League?

Mine has to be 06-07, attacking wise we had so much, also 07-08 added with Tevez in the lineup too. Likely our best squad ever.

99-00 for me was better than 98-99 in the league. We played better football that season than when winning the treble. Probably also helped by the great feeling around the club after the treble also. Shame about going out in CL though so early with getting Real in qf.

Most unexpected? Probably also 06-07, we had pundits predicted us outside top 4.

So for me:
1. 06-07
2. 07-08
3. 99-00
4. 02-03
5. 00-01/96-97

I liked much of the 2001-02 season also but felt Fergie prioritied CL way too much that season when we really should have won our fourth i title in a row. He kind of gave the title away by resting players all autumn in the league while focus on Deportivo and such in CL.

Don't remember 93, 94 and 96 and it certainly wasn't 95!
Looking back 00-01 and 96/97 were great seasons.

I think at the time though most fans including myself took those title winning seasons for granted..

davidmichael

The first double in 93/94 was unreal and no one can convince me that we’d not have done something in Europe if not for that fecking 3 foreigner rule which made most of our squad ineligible as even Scottish, Welsh and Irish were considered foreign

The second double with Cantona coming back and propelling us towards both trophies at times singlehanded after being so far behind Newcastle at one point and beating Liverpool in the FA Cup final is probably my personal favourite.

The treble season was euphoric and at times I didn’t know if I was coming or going but we seemed strong in the league all that season and it was more the FA Cup and CL that provided all the drama.

The 06/07 season when we finally won the league again after a few years of nothing was such an amazing feeling although it wasn’t until the 4-2 win against Everton that I really felt we’d win the league.

The 07/08 season was immense although at that point I just felt we were stronger than everyone else as we had the best centre backs in the world, a creative yet balanced midfield and the best attack in the game spearheaded by the best player in the world.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
06/07 was amazing, 07/08, 08/09 and 98/99 too for obvious reasons. How we managed the league with everything else going on was amazing.

Zen86

06/07 we were a sight to behold. Especially after several years in the wilderness, it was starting to come together and the pace we could go at the opposition was electric. of course 98/99 was a rollercoaster as well.

mjstokes85

There was something about that 02/03 season I'll always love, the run we went on after xmas was incredible, beating Newcastle away 6-2, the 2-2 at Arsenal, I loved that run in.

Keefy18

93/94!

That should of won the Champions league but for the "foreigner" rule.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which season was it where we couldn't defend to save our lives until December but still found ways to win, 12/13?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
08/09 cause it's pretty much our only ever title race against the Scousers.

Chairman Steve

06/07 for the attractive football and satisfaction that the fecking Mourinho/Chelsea machine wasn’t going to steamroll the league for the foreseeable future, after they bought Shevchenko, Ballack and A.Cole and you feared the worst after buying only Carrick.

07/08 for the silverware, Ronaldo‘s scoring run and looking more competent in Champions League knockouts.

02/03 for the rollercoaster of a league season where we looked adequate up until December and then kicked up a gear in the new year, the highly anticipated showdown with Arsenal at Highbury (a HUGE game at that time) and watching RVN score goal after goal after goal.

Chip

06/07 no doubt. Crazy to think it's been 15-16 years - feels more like 5-6.

Followed by 07/08, 98/99, and 02/03.

KeanoMagicHat

2006-07 definitely up there, felt new and thrilling even if the following season was more successful. You had:

Maybe Scholes’s best ever season, reinvented as a deep-lying playmaker
Ronaldo emerging as a star
Superb linkup with Ronaldo and Rooney
Saha when fit being top class
Vidic and Evra emerging and Ferdinand going up a level
The Henrik Larsson brilliant cameo
Beating Roma 7-1, one of the funnest matches I’ve ever watched

And all to finally beat Mourinho and Abrahmovich, who had just bought Shevchenko and Ballack after two 90+ seasons. Great times.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
2007-2008 United is one of the best sides in the last 30 years and probably the greatest United side in 50 years. I rate 07-08 better than 98-99 both in entertaining and quality of players and games.

06-07 United played the most attractive football for sure but overall I rate them below 07-08 in term of my personal favorite and consistency( both league and UCL).

Robin

Those of a more mature age will most likely pick the 1974/75 season in the second division. For a 17 year old every away game was an adventure , pay on the gate and grounds 75% full of reds. Games like Blackpool and Sheff Wed with up to 25,000 mostly teenage reds taking over towns and grounds all decked out in butchers coats and scarfs from every loop on your jeans. And of course we won the league , a second division side with the highest average attendance in the country.

Drizzle

It's obviously 92/93. For those that were there, the feeling of again reaching the top of English football after such a long wait was sheer ecstasy.

98/99 is next for obvious reasons. Objectively the best season any English club has ever had.

After that I'd put 93/94 next - one of my favourite United teams full of speed and character.

95/96 and 07/08 are my 4th and 5th.

If we're allowed pre-Premier League, I personally loved 84/85. Hugely entertaining season ending with a famous extra-time FA Cup victory.

redmanx

92-93
95-96
98-99

90s were my favourite decade of football
Me too; those teams had so much flair, style and class but also guts, hard work, spirit and effort too. Cantona, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Keanne, Yorke, Cole, OGS, Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, G. Neville, Pallister, Parker, Stam, Kanchelskis and Ince would walk into any team we've put out since Fergie retired. These were players who loved the Club and the fans and had total respect for their manager, players who gave their all every match, not like the prima donnas we've watched these last few years. Real players, real men.

Paul_Scholes18

Well I think the period 06-07, 07-08, 08-09 was quite amazing.

07-08 wins since we won CL.

Got to say 08-09 we had such a good team and could have won it all.
We mainly defended well though since Ronaldo did not have his best year.

After Ronaldo left we still did well, but we lacked the star depth. Rooney was fantastic and Nani and Valencia did well, but Ronaldo was just one of a kind.

Our last title win was great as well with the game against City a pure classic, but our overall quality was not the best particular tactically. We just had that attacking edge and winning mentality.
Like you could see why going from winner SAF to someone without winning mentality in Moyes made us suffer.

DickDastardly

Which season was it where we couldn't defend to save our lives until December but still found ways to win, 12/13?
Yep, great season that was.

Started almost every game 2 goals down then claaaawed our way back.

That season ruined the last couple of seasons for me because i was under the impression we could repeat that only to find myself wondering "why the feck aren't we turning this game around?!".

Took me a while to realize we're shit.

SungSam7

The season we signed RVN, just watching him bang them in was just enjoyable to watch as a 10 year old.

Or the 07/08, watching Fergue soaked in the rain wearing a very modern style United jacket as opposed to his typical suit or out of fashion jackets during the CL final win.