FAYC: Reading U18 - Man Utd U18

Mickson

Kickoff at 7 PM in the FA Youth Cup away to Reading, live on MUTV (but only for UK viewers). The winner will host Everton or Sheffield United in the fifth round.

fitzmertz

Mainoo very sharp to intercept loose ball on the edge of the area and fires home with his left foot, quite even game. Mather has a shot on target deflected off the defender to make it 2-0 then seconds later McNeill makes it 3-0 game over.

Last edited:

Mickson

Good first-half performance but United was rather sloppy in the second (to be fair, the game was over). Mainoo, Hansen, and Oyedel were our best performers, with Fredricson good too. I like our midfield best, they have the talent, the grit, the work rate, and Oyedele has performed very well so far. Mainoo and Hansen have definite potential to be first-teamers, especially Mainoo. Our defense is often quite shaky though. McNeill scored one and assisted one but does some stupid stuff from time to time, it can be giving the ball away or a foolish pass. These things make me doubt him. Overall many positives and Vitek has so much potential (but still quite raw in his decision-making, which is to be expected). Good to see Pye back, he should start instead of Murray in the next round against Sheffield United or Everton. It will be a tougher game, Reading wasn't great.

Vitek; Jurado (c), Jackson, Fredricson, Murray; Oyedele (85 Pye), Mainoo (74 Gore); Mather, Hansen, Garnacho (62 Ennis); McNeill

Subs not used: Wooster, Aljofree, Norkett, Hugill.

Goals: Mainoo, Mather (McNeill), McNeill (Garnacho).

Demaw

Good first-half performance but United was rather sloppy in the second (to be fair, the game was over). Mainoo, Hansen, and Oyedel were our best performers, with Fredricson good too. I like our midfield best, they have the talent, the grit, the work rate, and Oyedele has performed very well so far. Mainoo and Hansen have definite potential to be first-teamers, especially Mainoo. Our defense is often quite shaky though. McNeill scored one and assisted one but does some stupid stuff from time to time, it can be giving the ball away or a foolish pass. These things make me doubt him. Overall many positives and Vitek has so much potential (but still quite raw in his decision-making, which is to be expected). Good to see Pye back, he should start instead of Murray in the next round against Sheffield United or Everton. It will be a tougher game, Reading wasn't great.

Vitek; Jurado (c), Jackson, Fredricson, Murray; Oyedele (85 Pye), Mainoo (74 Gore); Mather, Hansen, Garnacho (62 Ennis); McNeill

Thanks so much for this great write up Mick. I'm pleased the couple of kids we like did well again (Mainoo, Hansen, Vitek) I really like these three and have hopes they can move towards the first squad in coming years. The size and agility of Vitek always impresses me and when he becomes 22/23 and really grows into his frame I think he could be excellent.

I'm still unsure about McNeill and sadly Hugill too. I'm hoping they can keep improving and move forward. Garancho has ability, like Noah Emeran on the left but Elanga makes it further complicated for him. Seen Ennis a few times and he is younger but hasn't stood out to me in most games. Yet, Mainoo didn't look great the season before but is killing it this year so patience and good coaching is key for these kids.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Good summary...I thought our fullbacks looked very weak particularly Jurado. The sloppiness in possession and lack of communication needs to be addressed if we are going to progress in the competition.

Having said that, they were clearly bigger and more physical and we need to deal better with that in the next round.

Hansen, Oyedele, Jackson Hansen and Mainoo all stood out for me last night.

dutchred

Good summary...I thought our fullbacks looked very weak particularly Jurado. The sloppiness in possession and lack of communication needs to be addressed if we are going to progress in the competition.

Having said that, they were clearly bigger and more physical and we need to deal better with that in the next round.

Mainoo is going to be some player, if he stays away from injuries. Would like to see him in the Under 23 soon

VDG17

Oyedele is a potential under the radar talent here I feel. Great athleticism, covers ground really well and seems to make good decisions with the ball without being overly flashy. He's maybe the physical kind of player the team has missed in recent years when we've been knocked out of the competition. Between him and Mainoo we've got a very good young partnership to develop.

I'd be interested to see if the club think Jurado will develop in the way Lingard did. If not he's going to really struggle because everything he does looks underpowered.

Reactions: Penna

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oyedele is a potential under the radar talent here I feel. Great athleticism, covers ground really well and seems to make good decisions with the ball without being overly flashy. He's maybe the physical kind of player the team has missed in recent years when we've been knocked out of the competition. Between him and Mainoo we've got a very good young partnership to develop.

I'd be interested to see if the club think Jurado will develop in the way Lingard did. If not he's going to really struggle because everything he does looks underpowered.
Early days, but it looks like we might have a potentially very good young DM coming through the ranks in Oyedele. He has the physicality (strength, acceleration) as well as the technical game to aid the two CBs in a high press when it comes to defensive transitions. He's also good on the ball (first touch, ball control), which would help in transitioning play in possession.

Kobbie Mainoo looks a gem of a player and I'd put him in a similar talent category to 16 year old Roony Bardghji, who is a Swedish national of Kuwaiti descent playing in Denmark for FC Copenhagen's youth as a wide forward.

Isak Hansen is also another potentially very good player with excellent touch and technique, who i'm very intrigued to see develop in the coming years. I'm particularly following the progress of Mainoo, Hansen, Vitek, Kambwala, Oyedele from the players I've watched. And all the aforementioned are showing potential to fit into a team which looks to control all phases of play.

Last edited:

Loopy

Jackson did very well, the only U16 on the pitch (not yet left school), defending against that first team player (Clark?), I thought Jackson did remarkably well, given the occasion and the maturity of the opposition. The rest of the players were U17&U18 full time boys, but saying that a lot seemed to be from the U17 stock. It’s all good experience for them.

I thought mid did well, however I get a sense United were very lucky. Left see what they bring to the table with Everton.

Does anyone know if it’s at Old Trafford, like the Scunthorpe match?

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Am i alone in not seeing anything special in ennis? apparently he was highly thought of in Liverpool, but he hasnt really anything of note with us. Hansen, Vitek, Mainoo and Oyedele certainly impressed but who knows how they will progress?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Am i alone in not seeing anything special in ennis? apparently he was highly thought of in Liverpool, but he hasnt really anything of note with us. Hansen, Vitek, Mainoo and Oyedele certainly impressed but who knows how they will progress?
Not been that impressive so far but he's probably still settling in, quite a few of the first years we've transferred in haven't shown what they're about until the second season.

Demaw

I agree, Ennis has been underwhelming but as mentioned above, it does take time to settle in and he has the ratings by academy recruiters. Only just turned 17 so more time needed.I actually thought last year Mainoo when he came up was quite average and this season, wow!! An extra twelve months. I forgot he is still only 16 (now) This year I've been disappointed with Oyedele so hoping he keeps improving.

Demaw

I think Hansen is flying under the radar a bit. He has brilliant attack and I'm sure the club is being careful to develop him. He reminds me of Scholes, great technique and awareness. Mainoo is 16 as I wrote earlier, heck, he was 15 last season so impressive. Now you can see how good Shoretire is always playing above the his age. About to turn 18 and with so much senior experience already. I read good stuff about Daniel Gore, very combative midfielder. Vitek the keeper I really like, his size and agility is great. He is 6ft 5 and very commanding.