FC Bayern München 2020/21

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

This video somehow looks like some kind of a rise of the devil or something.

But in reality i believe it is admireble that there is a club amongst the elite, which earned its success completely on its own with good work (and is snowballing off of that).

Yes, the competition in the league is boring right now. But the problem is not Bayern, it is good to have an elite club in the league, the problem is the other clubs somehow need to earn more money (and/or work better with it).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So City bought a Guardian propaganda piece who in turn bought Philipp Lahm's signature? "wunderkinds"... looks like he didn't even gloss over what they published under his name.
Well, what do you know. What we assumed to be a PR fluff piece involving City paying the Guardian, as it's so bad, turns out to be the normal, serious journalistic mode of the oh so well-respected ZEIT..
https://www.zeit.de/sport/2021-04/p...city-philipp-lahm-ansichten-eines-fussballers

Ansichten eines Fußballers ist die ZEIT-ONLINE-Kolumne von Philipp Lahm. Darin widmet sich der Weltmeisterkapitän von 2014 den großen Fragen des Fußballs und gleichzeitig aktuellen gesellschaftlichen Debatten. Mehr als zwanzig internationale Zeitungen übernehmen die Kolumne, unter anderem La Repubblica, Politiken, Delo, El País, Gazeta Wyborcza, Haaretz, Ilta-Sanomat und im Guardian. Sie entsteht im Austausch mit Oliver Fritsch, dem Sportredakteur von ZEIT ONLINE.
It's a regular column by Lahm in the ZEIT online edition which international papers adopt, and the ghost writer is the ZEIT's sports editor.

Anyone else can't help but thinking of "Ansichten eines Clowns"?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, what do you know. What we assumed to be a PR fluff piece involving City paying the Guardian, as it's so bad, turns out to be the normal, serious journalistic mode of the oh so well-respected ZEIT..
https://www.zeit.de/sport/2021-04/p...city-philipp-lahm-ansichten-eines-fussballers

It's a regular column by Lahm in the ZEIT online edition which international papers adopt, and the ghost writer is the ZEIT's sports editor.

Anyone else can't help but thinking of "Ansichten eines Clowns"?
The Guardian still has "Wunderkinds" to answer for!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The Guardian still has "Wunderkinds" to answer for!
That Guardian piece is just simply a translation of the ZEIT article, maybe they translated that not the best way, but it is 1:1 the same sentence:
"Wunderkinder wie Kylian Mbappé und Neymar bevorzugen, wie Guardiola einmal beklagte, nach wie vor Metropolen wie London und Paris oder Clubs mit einer glorreichen Historie."

"As Guardiola once stated, wunderkinds such as Kylian Mbappé and Neymar still prefer metropolises such as London and Paris or clubs with a glorious history."

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That Guardian piece is just simply a translation of the ZEIT article, maybe they translated that not the best way, but it is 1:1 the same sentence:
"Wunderkinder wie Kylian Mbappé und Neymar bevorzugen, wie Guardiola einmal beklagte, nach wie vor Metropolen wie London und Paris oder Clubs mit einer glorreichen Historie."

"As Guardiola once stated, wunderkinds such as Kylian Mbappé and Neymar still prefer metropolises such as London and Paris or clubs with a glorious history."
Yes, I know where the idea came from. I just wunderkinds what kind of rocket scientist decides to borrow the German word to make things sound more hip and then randomly decides to try and decline it via English language grammar rules.

edit:
actually while looking up the term I realized that "wunderkinds" actually appears to be a thing for English speakers.

Last edited:

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Yes, I know where the idea came from. I just wunderkinds what kind of rocket scientist decides to borrow the German word to make things sound more hip and then randomly decides to try and decline it via English language grammar rules.

edit:
actually while looking up the term I realized that "wunderkinds" actually appears to be a thing for English speakers.
Not sure, how old you are, but Dirk Nowitzki used to be "The German Wunderkind" like a century ago. It is definitely a thing in English.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure, how old you are, but Dirk Nowitzki used to be "The German Wunderkind" like a century ago. It is definitely a thing in English.
I was aware that "wunderkind" is occasionally being used, but I wasn't aware of what they did to the plural.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I was aware that "wunderkind" is occasionally being used, but I wasn't aware of what they did to the plural.
I'd find it more strange if they had used "Wunderkinder" to be honest.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'd find it more strange if they had used "Wunderkinder" to be honest.
Since I'm now an expert on the word I can tell you that some dictionaries actually give "wunderkinder" as the plural of the word. But in any case if you're throwing in foreign words in italics to show off how fancy/authentic a writer you are then personally I'd rather keep the word intact.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The exodus of coaching staff continues. After Miroslav Klose also the legendary Hermann Gerland announced his departure.
I don't like any of this and sure hope the club bosses know what they're doing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The exodus of coaching staff continues. After Miroslav Klose also the legendary Hermann Gerland announced his departure.
I don't think Klose is a big loss as a coach, but Gerland leaving after two decades is special.

And even as I don't rate Klose as a big loss, they way he is leaving (quite outspoken about it being his decision to leave) is astonishing for someone who was always praised for his fairness and was always one of the quieter voices. For his standards, they way of him going is the closest thing to running around "this club is shit! this club is shit! leave! leave! leave!"

And all together these exits leave a worrying picture for Bayern... well... it can only be good for the entertainment factor of the league :devil:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's strange, and worrying.
Especially since, for once, I can offer a personal, if coincidental and cirucmstantial, grapevine into the Gerland family as saying that he didn't want to continue due to the "current situation" at the club.
To which I wonder, what's the situation exactly? How fecking bad can it be?

Gerland was already pulled from the Campus for neglecting the racism issues, no? Not really surprising he would be phased out with the arrival of a new head coach nearing retirement age anyway.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gerland was already pulled from the Campus for neglecting the racism issues, no? Not really surprising he would be phased out with the arrival of a new head coach nearing retirement age anyway.
If I remember correctly he had to focus on his assistant role with the first team. And while it seems plausible that this is a convenient moment to get rid of him without admitting any guilt in the racism story, there's still the fact that Flick and Klose are leaving with him, and both apparently on bad terms. For Flick especially the Bayern job could likely be the biggest of his career and and since the NT job usually appears completely uninteresting to German coaches this is a remarkable career decision that one has to assume was brought on by the working climate at Bayern.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And while it seems plausible that this is a convenient moment to get rid of him without admitting any guilt in the racism story, there's still the fact that Flick and Klose are leaving with him, and both apparently on bad terms.
I believe that's the key point here - Klose and Gerland are leaving, and there are plausible reasons for both of them. As isolated cases there would be nothing to worry about them. But the fact that Flick, Klose and maybe even Gerland really do want to get away from the club isn't a good sign for Bayern.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Rummenigge stepping down at the end of the month and Kahn to take over. Bayern without Rummenigge and Hoeness will feel weird for quite some time, I've only ever known the club with them.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Rummenigge stepping down at the end of the month and Kahn to take over. Bayern without Rummenigge and Hoeness will feel weird for quite some time, I've only ever known the club with them.
I can completely understand that. Great footballers, important characters, outstanding businessmen, huge cnuts, the both of them.

Bar the nostalgia I'd say FC Bayern is better off with them finally leaving and letting Kahn and the newer generation take over business. Although I think it's very hard to impossible for Bayern to seriously decline (everything's just too cemented at the moment) I still think the task is not as easy and some people might make it out to be. Managing Bayern is no no-brainer, it's definitely possible to feck up quite a bit. But Kahn seems like the ideal person to be at the top, he got everything that's needed in my opinion. They'll most likely keep dominating domestically to the same extent as shown in the last 15 years and keep on winning the cl around 1 time per decade.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It is weird. Especially since it sounds like Rummenigge will not have any role - from CEO to nothing, before there used to be this kind of gradual transition to president, and then Ehrenpäsident, like with Beckenbauer and Hoeneß.
It's a bit scary I have to say, especially since we'll still have to witness Hoeness making public messes, and worse ones the older he gets.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It is weird. Especially since it sounds like Rummenigge will not have any role - from CEO to nothing, before there used to be this kind of gradual transition to president, and then Ehrenpäsident, like with Beckenbauer and Hoeneß.
It's a bit scary I have to say, especially since we'll still have to witness Hoeness making public messes, and worse ones the older he gets.
Or just go back down the hierarchy. He could be putting out cones on the training ground again in a few years' time!

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Meh, KHR was useful with his international contacts/network but imo UH always had a better feeling in regards to players and coaches. KHRs taste for coaches has never ended well while UHs might have had mixed result but with some very, very good and important ones. It is no coincidence that he wanted Nagelsmann as youth coach before anyone in Germany even knew his name. That's why it's imo more important to have UH at least still working in the background because that's the kind of stuff where he can still be valuable while KHRs strengths in the international football world are kinda hard to translate into a smaller job. KHR has always been more of a high-level official while UH always had a "lead from the trenches" style.
Having said this, position or no position, someone like KHR will always be heard within the leadership, just like it was the case with Beckenbauer. These people have influence that goes beyond any official job.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Meh, KHR was useful with his international contacts/network but imo UH always had a better feeling in regards to players and coaches. KHRs taste for coaches has never ended well while UHs might have had mixed result but with some very, very good and important ones. It is no coincidence that he wanted Nagelsmann as youth coach before anyone in Germany even knew his name. That's why it's imo more important to have UH at least still working in the background because that's the kind of stuff where he can still be valuable while KHRs strengths in the international football world are kinda hard to translate into a smaller job. KHR has always been more of a high-level official while UH always had a "lead from the trenches" style.
Having said this, position or no position, someone like KHR will always be heard within the leadership, just like it was the case with Beckenbauer. These people have influence that goes beyond any official job.
Well said. Kalle was more important for continental connections and contacts while Ulli was very key for local within Germany. Kalle was more diplomatic, UH was our asshole. Surely Kahn and Brazzo don't have that personality
I hope sometime Lahm and Schweinsteiger transition into that Brazzo role, Maybe Muller as well
I have never known Bayern without Ulli and Kalle. Will miss both

Blackwidow

Well said. Kalle was more important for continental connections and contacts while Ulli was very key for local within Germany. Kalle was more diplomatic, UH was our asshole. Surely Kahn and Brazzo don't have that personality
I hope sometime Lahm and Schweinsteiger transition into that Brazzo role, Maybe Muller as well
I have never known Bayern without Ulli and Kalle. Will miss both
Hoeneß was the asshole (more in talking) - but the one that had an open ear to help others a lot, too.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hoeneß was the asshole (more in talking) - but the one that had an open ear to help others a lot, too.
He was an asshole to others but very protective of Bayern players. The fastest way to get Ulli to get nasty is talking shiit about a Bayern player. Then mother hen comes out for you

I dont think anyone loves Bayern like Ulli

FatTails

Going to be fascinating to watch Bayern under Nagelsmann. Can’t wait!