FC Bayern München 2020/21

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Apart from Nagelsmann, no name really springs to mind. Seems shitty timing to be looking for a new head coach.
But i'm not yet convinced that this the end of the drama, there may yet be more infighting at the club. The only certain outcome is that not both Brazzo and Flick will be at the club next season, i guess.
I’m struggling to think of anyone as well. Perhaps you’ll try your luck with Klopp, but I don’t see him leave Liverpool like this.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Pretty shit season all in all. Our football was uninspired for long stretches, our transfers werent good, no CL success, an embarrassing Cup exit, horrendous defending all season long, Flick leaving after this farcical spat with the Board... Feels like a wasted year somehow. At least there's Musiala to be hyped for.

Yes, i know, first world problems.
You’re a pretty high intensity team and the short breaks between the seasons probably hasn’t helped in that respect. There have been some absurd scorelines in football this year. Pressing athletic teams have struggled a fair bit this year.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I’m struggling to think of anyone as well. Perhaps you’ll try your luck with Klopp, but I don’t see him leave Liverpool like this.
Doubtful, klopp will leave at the end of his contract and Bayern know that. Hopefully he extends though but I don’t see it.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I stated couple of pages back that Nagelsmann hasn't got enough experience to deal with the circus at Bayern. It's far to early for him, will be eaten alive.
He has a lot more experience in coaching at this level than Flick ever had.

So Nagelsmann is the obvious choice, the club bosses also rate him and a move to Bayern has always been a dream for him. It'd be a surprise if it's not him replacing Flick.

Cloud7

Hopefully they take Klopp so Liverpool can go back to being crap

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Who cares who we get... Don't give a crap about Klopp. It really doesn't matter. If you got the perfect coach, they would feck him up within 2 seasons and he'd want to leave, or he loses two games in a row and be kicked. Either way, Bayern's going to look for another coach 2 years down the road, cos the decrepit board of senile feckwits can't keep their mouths shut... and then they think giving a pity position to some veteran from ye olde days means he can lord over the coach that has to work with the team every day and is ACTUALLY responsible for the success...

arthurka

He has a lot more experience in coaching at this level than Flick ever had.

So Nagelsmann is the obvious choice, the club bosses also rate him and a move to Bayern has always been a dream for him. It'd be a surprise if it's not him replacing Flick.
He is what 33 years old.. Flick has been coaching since 96.. Since Nagelsmann was 8, he was involved as assistant in the Germany setup in arguably their best period.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
He is what 33 years old.. Flick has been coaching since 96.. Since Nagelsmann was 8, he was involved as assistant in the Germany setup in arguably their best period.
Flick hasn't been coaching since 96. He started in any serious capacity in 2000 with Hoffenheim when they were still a lower league nobody club and got fired there in 2005 because he didn't bring them the promotion they wanted.
After that he was never in charge of any other team. So we are talking about someone would had 5 years experience as 4th league coach and failed there...
And yes Flick was an assistant for the german NT but do we need to pretend that anyone would in general actually care about that? Let's be honest here, there is a reason why Flick didn't even try to return to coaching after he left the DFB. Getting the job as assistant coach at Bayern was already as good as it possibly could get at the time (noone in the BL would have hired him as a coach).
Nagelsmann on the other hand has now been successful for 5 years in the BL despite his age. The "33 years old" thing isn't an argument against Nagelsmann as some always seem to think, it's just making him even more attractive becuase it is obvious that he still has places to go, he isn't some past-it option. You could have had doubts after Hoffenheim but at RBL he showed everyone that he is the real deal and can handle the higher levels of football too.
Of course you never know how a coach will work out and it'd be difficult for any coach to match Flick's success of last year (Guardiola also couldn't match Heynckes) but imo there is little doubt about Nagelsmann being a top pick and I honestly don't see a better option.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hasenhüttl and ten Hag are also being mentioned. Probably lazy journos just linking everyone that speaks German

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It helped a lot that he finally played as CB and not LB. I am obviously not a coach but i never understood why Flick absolutely insisted of playing him as LB with Alaba at LCB.
Yeah that puzzled me too. He seems to be a clearly better all round defender than Alaba, and a much better CB. I think I’ve read that Alaba has made it clear he only wants to play down the middle - now and wherever he ends up next season? Presumably Hernandez makes less of a fuss over it.

I can see what Alaba adds in the build up and in recovery when the high line is breached, but when asked to do more conventional defending with the opposition crowding the box, he seems to make basic positional errors and reckless challenges fairly often. Might be a mistaken perception from the highlights but it just seems like he’s caught out most often in the goals.

What’s your take?

Last edited:

Blackwidow

Hasenhüttl and ten Hag are also being mentioned. Probably lazy journos just linking everyone that speaks German
Both have "Stallgeruch"
Hasenhüttl played for Bayern II together with Lahm and Schweinsteiger and Hoeneß got him a place in an already overbooked DFB couching class after his career. Ten Hag was coach of Bayern II before he went to Utrecht and Ajax.

Alaba is very vocal from the back!

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I can see what Alaba adds in the build up and in recovery when the high line is breached, but when asked to do more conventional defending with the opposition crowding the box, he seems to make basic positional errors and reckless challenges fairly often. Might be a mistaken perception from the highlights but it just seems like he’s caught out most often in the goals.
In theory. In reality, he's not a good cover option either because his timing and tackling especially against floated balls and physical attackers has been awful.
Your perception is also correct. He's caught out all the time.

Alaba is very vocal from the back!
Thing is: Being the "vocal leader" of Bayern's most leaky defense in decades isn't something to be proud of. Shouting "man behind" or "time" whenever someone gets the ball isn't enough to compensate for his own lapses.

I really can't wait for the Alaba - Boatgeng CB pairing to be a thing of the past, it was just frustrating to watch all year.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just watched that post PSG interview of Flick on Sky in full for the first time, and now I don't think it's certain Flick wants to leave.
Well. So much for my perceptive qualities.

Unbelievable.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Very very weird how this has developed. Who's the preference if Nagelsmann is got available? Really Ten Hag?

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Very very weird how this has developed. Who's the preference if Nagelsmann is got available? Really Ten Hag?
Ten Hag knows the club , speaks german, has also the philosophy for attractive attacking football and pressing , and did a great job at Ajax and at Bayern's u17.

He is a top option after Nagelsmann.

Last edited:

thepolice123

The next new manager is set up for failure. In Bayern only the caretaker/interim managers can win the treble. :D

GlasgowCeltic

Will be a shame to see Nagelsmann become damaged goods by age 35 once Bayern are done with him

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't think Brazzo can survive this either, in the long run.

Cloud7

The next new manager is set up for failure. In Bayern only the caretaker/interim managers can win the treble. :D
It certainly will be a tough act to follow. Pep followed Heynckes, and even though he didn't match him, he still had his background as Pep Guardiola to keep him afloat. Flick was a relative nobody in managerial terms and won it all for Bayern. Really tough to follow on from.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
"Long run" is how many years?
Beyond summer 2022, maybe? Could imagine there would be a buffer period of a season where the club doesn't sack him right away, but it feels like he's really damaged now.

But I don't know the internal dynamics. Most importantly, I have no clue about the relation between Kahn (who will become CEO later this year, after all) and Brazzo.
Eberl extended at Gladbach until 2026 just the other week though, which points against him being available as replacement, in the next couple of years at least.

This is all merely my own speculation.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Beyond summer 2022, maybe? Could imagine there would be a buffer period of a season where the club doesn't sack him right away, but it feels like he's really damaged now.

But I don't know the internal dynamics. Most importantly, I have no clue about the relation between Kahn (who will become CEO later this year, after all) and Brazzo.
Eberl extended at Gladbach until 2026 just the other week though, which points against him being available as replacement, in the next couple of years at least.

This is all merely my own speculation.
Salihamidzic will stay for many years....if a betting company has this bet then i would put a lot of money on that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Salihamidzic will stay for many years....if a betting company has this bet then i would put a lot of money on that.
You might be right.
But there's a narrative now taking hold in the German public, and I don't see it going away, and I see it being a threat to his position, no matter whether it's merited.

Not to mention whatever things really went on behind the scenes.
In light of the outright, rather baffling Eklat that happened here with Flick, who after all must be considered a valuable asset for the club, there are question marks flying through the landscape like tornadoes, regarding everyone but especially Brazzo.
But I'm completely at a loss as to how things could escalate like that.

And don't forget, the whole leadership universe and its gravitational field at Bayern is in massive flux at this moment.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
You might be right.
But there's a narrative now taking hold in the German public, and I don't see it going away, and I see it being a threat to his position, no matter whether it's merited.

Not to mention whatever things really went on behind the scenes.
In light of the outright, rather baffling Eklat that happened here with Flick, who after all must be considered a valuable asset for the club, there are question marks flying through the landscape like tornadoes, regarding everyone but especially Brazzo.
But I'm completely at a loss as to how things could escalate like that.

And don't forget, the whole leadership universe and its gravitational field at Bayern is in massive flux at this moment.
There will always be a "narrative", no matter who is in charge or have people forgotten about all the stuff that was said about Sammer, not to mention UH?
It's part of the job, noone at Bayern in this position will be loved by the media.
Even someone like Zorc at the media darling Dortmund has to deal with that. It's simply not a position you can really shine it. Any success will be linked to the coach, players and everyone else and as sporting director you only get relevant once things aren't stellar though it obviously didn't help that Flick fueled the flames without any need.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It looks like Miroslav Klose (currently assistant coach to Flick, before that he was coach of Bayerns U17) is also thinking about leaving the club now.

https://www.kicker.de/nachdenklich-verliert-bayern-auch-klose-802561/artikel

Key quote for me: "What really makes me think is the way how we are communicating here right now" and he also sees "a lack of respect for each other".

This sounds quite vague and could mean both sides in this heated discussion, but when he thinks about leaving, than there has to be something wrong with the side that is staying at the club (Salihamidzic), regardless of how much Klose thinks this is Flicks fault.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Boavista

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That reads so impersonal, I find it hard to believe he wrote that. But then again it's not a well written article either and I think a journalist would have done better..

"Even Jérôme Boateng has said Guardiola taught him pivotal lessons". What's that supposed to mean? :lol:
Have you ever taken a look at his social media? PR speak zombie horror.

I never quite know how these kind of articles come to being, I guess some ghost writing jounalist, or PR assistant, (boundaries are blurring), interviews him and writes it up? I find it hard to imagine Lahm sitting down and typing it. And I'm a huge fan of Pep's time at Bayern, overall, myself, so it's not that I disagree with praising him.

edit:
So City bought a Guardian propaganda piece who in turn bought Philipp Lahm's signature? "wunderkinds"... looks like he didn't even gloss over what they published under his name.
That's how it went, isn't it? Horrible. I'm a paying subscriber, but this is obnoxious.

Giggsyking

Oppose the super league because it kills football and small teams, yet they take away their rival best player and the manager months before the next season. Fecking hypocrites. How is that even possible to be fair football competition when players can sign for another team in the same league and play half a season "competing for the same title".

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
This will backfire on them, from Flick to Nagelsmann, just like Pep replacing Heynckes was not an actual improvement. Can't see Nagelsmann winning a Sextuple.

In any event, Bayern M. has cannibalized the Bundesliga once again. Joke of a league. I'm amazed Floren even handpicked Dortmund for the Superliga.

Boavista

Have you ever taken a look at his social media? PR speak zombie horror.

I never quite know how these kind of articles come to being, I guess some ghost writing jounalist, or PR assistant, (boundaries are blurring), interviews him and writes it up? I find it hard to imagine Lahm sitting down and typing it. And I'm a huge fan of Pep's time at Bayern, overall, myself, so it's not that I disagree with praising him.

edit:

That's how it went, isn't it? Horrible. I'm a paying subscriber, but this is obnoxious.
Yeah I'm not sure how that happens, but come to think of it, I can sort of imagine Lahm sitting down writing an article like that. It reads like a school essay: Why Guardiola is the best manager.

If it was a ghostwriter, I doubt there was much of an interview because there isn't a single anecdote in there apart from one quote. You'd hope a decent ghostwriter would at least attempt to show some insight, some inside stories, rather than that superficial article.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This will backfire on them, from Flick to Nagelsmann, just like Pep replacing Heynckes was not an actual improvement. Can't see Nagelsmann winning a Sextuple.

In any event, Bayern M. has cannibalized the Bundesliga once again. Joke of a league. I'm amazed Floren even handpicked Dortmund for the Superliga.
Who would have been your choice as the successor to Flick?

Pagh Wraith

Who can forget his punditry during the last World Cup, sitting on a couch by the Tegernsee? There's bland, then there is Philipp Lahm. I will always give him credit though for being one of the very few footballers at the highest level who wouldn't exaggerate fouls or constantly be in the referee's ear. He really was a model professional.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Who can forget his punditry during the last World Cup, sitting on a couch by the Tegernsee? There's bland, then there is Philipp Lahm. I will always give him credit though for being one of the very few footballers at the highest level who wouldn't exaggerate fouls or constantly be in the referee's ear. He really was a model professional.
One of the best and most reliable players ever. Obviously also a good diplomat behind the scenes, but also one of the most boring players ever. Kinda strange when you think about it.