FC Bayern München 2020/21

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

While we're still celebrating the single most successful in the club's history, a new season is already beckoning. The squad has yet take its final shape for the new season. Lots of talk about possible depatures, a little less about new signings, yet.
Who'll leave and who'll come? How much of this season's success can be replicated in this new, fixture-congested season?

Current roster as of Aug., 25th.:

GK: Neuer/Nübel/Hoffmann
RB: Pavard
RCB: Boateng/Süle/Nianzou
LCB: Alaba/Hernandez
LB: Davies
CM: Kimmich/Goretzka/Thiago/Tolisso
AM: Müller, Cuisance
LW: Sane/Coman
RW: Gnabry
CF: Lewandowski/Arp

Youth team players eligable for the first team:

CB: Arrey-Mbi
DM: Fein
AM: Musiala/Tillman/Batista-Meier
CF: Zirkzee

Arrivals:

Leroy Sane, LW, ManC
Tanguy Nianzou, CB/DM, PSG - Player to watch, expect him to have Süle benched come winter
Alexander Nübel, GK, S04

Possible arrivals:

Ivan Perisic, LW/RW, Inter
RB (Dest?, Aarons?), tba

Departures:

Coutinho, Barca
Perisic, Inter
Odriozola, Real

Possible departures

Thiago, Liverpool?
Martinez, unknown, available für around 10m according to media
Alaba, negotiations ongoing
Boateng, unknown,available für around 10m according to media, likely to see out his contract
Ulreich, unknown

Overall, the squad looks a bit thin on paper, especially with Thiago likely leaving us. So far, the board seems not inclined to replace him this window, suggesting Tolisso could fill the void.
It's going to be interesting to see whether they are just keeping their hand close, or if they indeed don't plan beyond a young attacking RB and maybe Perisic, if Inter can be haggled down.
Whatever happes, these are happy times for us Bayern fans, and I have a good feeling about what is to come in the future.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Seems like a Right winger and a LB are needed to provide competition for Gnabry and Davies from your list. Don't make them feel too comfortable.

Jorsett

Supports
Bayern Munich
Squad looks a bit thin, agreed. Very happy with both central defense and central midfield (on paper). A right back and another winger and we're set. Zirkzee/Arp are fine backups in domestic league, though I'd rather see one of them go out on a loan to get some consistent game time. We need to get Alaba to sign and let Boateng run out his contract.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Think our first XI is going to look like this after a while:
Neuer
Pavard Süle Alaba Davies
Kimmich Goretzka
Sané Müller Gnabry
Lewa

2nd team currently:
Nübel
RB Nianzou Boateng Lucas H.
Cuisance Tolisso
RW Zirkzee Coman
Arp

Think Sané could work better with Pavard behind, albeit him having been better on the left for City. I am having very high hopes for him to become as dominant as Robben/Ribéry have been for us. Gnabry hopefully to get a bit more consistent (not "just" in the big games) or maybe Coman can stay injury-free for a season and battle it out, who knows.

I actually also have quite high expectations for Süle, in my opinion he still has the potential to be a true world-class defender despite also not having been at his best under Kovac (but who was anyway?). Built like a brick sh*t-house but still quite agile with passable short-passing game and is probably the best pure defender in our team. Boateng has been great under Flick, but I think it's possible for Süle to become our Abwehrchef. If not, maybe Nianzou and/or buy Upamecano to step in, if the reports were to believe.
Lucas H. could face some more benching I fear since Davies has been excellent as a left back and Alaba as a center back. Don't think Flick would play with two left-footed center backs either.

Goretzka has pretty much looked like the perfect b2b midfielder since he bulked up after the corona break. Replacing Thiago will be very hard, no midfielder at his level available at the moment and we also lack someone with his style of play. Cuisance might get a few minutes as a Kimmich/Müller backup after Thiago's departure but he seems to be quite hot-headed.

According to kicker we're probably losing Perisic, who has been excellent for us but is probably too expensive for his age. Don't like the idea of having to rely on Sané/Gnabry/Coman to be fit tbh. We also do not have any promising winger from our youth team coming through.

In my opinion, we'd definitely need another center mid for the departures of Thiago and Martinez and probably a backup winger for Perisic. Kimmich can play RB if needed.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

Kimmich :drool:
Like someone in the match day thread said it perfectly: Gattuso and Pirlo in one scene

Khalif_20

Hugely impressed by Bayern. They're the flagship example of perfectly coached side that's more than the sum of its parts.

Yes obviously there are world class individuals like Davies, Coman, Gnabry etc. but mostly they're cogs in perfectly oiled machine.

Hansi Flick is the real start of the team. I hope Ole is studying the work done there closely.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think we'll see a spine as strong as Neuer - Kimmich - Müller for a very long time. It might be the strongest axis I've ever seen on a pitch in terms of ability and mentality.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Hugely impressed by Bayern. They're the flagship example of perfectly coached side that's more than the sum of its parts.

Yes obviously there are world class individuals like Davies, Coman, Gnabry etc. but mostly they're cogs in perfectly oiled machine.

Hansi Flick is the real start of the team. I hope Ole is studying the work done there closely.
Id say coaching is only a piece of that puzzle. I mean - how many years of sustained success have they experienced now? Yes, easier league, being the big fish in a small pond stuff blah blah blah - but If we re looking at them, I hope its to assess where else in the organization things are being run so well. Imho it appears that only two clubs consistently and fairly consistently over perform by different metrics: Bayern and Ajax. Im sure you could write a nice term paper on that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They dominated Atleti in that first half without really being out of second gear. Atleti aren’t the Atleti of past seasons but it was still an impressive performance.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Kimmich :drool:
Like someone in the match day thread said it perfectly: Gattuso and Pirlo in one scene
Great ball, but you'd be fuming if one of our players lost the ball like that and made no attempt to win it back. Really poor from Felix. Kimmich had all the time in the world to do what he wanted there.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Id say coaching is only a piece of that puzzle. I mean - how many years of sustained success have they experienced now? Yes, easier league, being the big fish in a small pond stuff blah blah blah - but If we re looking at them, I hope its to assess where else in the organization things are being run so well. Imho it appears that only two clubs consistently and fairly consistently over perform by different metrics: Bayern and Ajax. Im sure you could write a nice term paper on that.
I wouldn’t call Bayern’s results over the last years/decade „over performing“. They pay top 5 wages and have a massive revenue.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Goretzka and Davies will probably be the most important players for them in the coming years I think. Really dominant players in their own way.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Goretzka and Davies will probably be the most important players for them in the coming years I think. Really dominant players in their own way.
I think it'll be Kimmich, he has all the tools to be the best CM on the planet.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think it'll be Kimmich, he has all the tools to be the best CM on the planet.
Really? Is he that good? I did not know that. I haven't payed that much attention to him as he kinda looked like a very good utility player. Also thought he was a fullback. The pass on the video above was exceptional.

AltiUn

Really? Is he that good? I did not know that. I haven't payed that much attention to him as he kinda looked like a very good utility player. Also thought he was a fullback. The pass on the video above was exceptional.
I think he's amazing, I might just catch him on his good days but he's so impressive. I'm sure our resident Bayern fans can shed some light.

Icemav

He is exceptional. Where do think the winning CL final goal came from? Coman got the plaudits but it was the clever link up play of Muller to Kimmich who then unlocked the defense with a brilliant cross/pass. Coman had the easy job.

There is a reason why Bayern are not devastated to have lost Thiago.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I think he's amazing, I might just catch him on his good days but he's so impressive. I'm sure our resident Bayern fans can shed some light.
Future Bayern and Germany captain as soon as Neuer retires/declines, no doubt about that.

That should tell the story.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I honestly think that Kimmich is the most complete footballer in the world right now. He does everything well, there're no weaknesses in his game, so he can seamlessly slot in wherever the team needs him. A worldclass RB, DM and CM rolled up into one person. He runs his lungs out, leads the team like another captain, defends and tackles well, organises our attack with smart passing and long balls, assists plenty of goals and scores important goals. Flick could play him as a lone striker, CB or winger and I wouldn't be worried about his performance for one second.

As some guy on another Forum put it: "Bayern first replaced Lahm and then Thiago without a drop in quality... with the same fecking player."

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I honestly think that Kimmich is the most complete footballer in the world right now. He does everything well, there're no weaknesses in his game, so he can seamlessly slot in wherever the team needs him. A worldclass RB, DM and CM rolled up into one person. He runs his lungs out, leads the team like another captain, defends and tackles well, organises our attack with smart passing and long balls, assists plenty of goals and scores important goals. Flick could play him as a lone striker, CB or winger and I wouldn't be worried about his performance for one second.

As some guy on another Forum put it: "Bayern first replaced Lahm and then Thiago without a drop in quality... with the same fecking player."
Nice quote :D

When Lahm was put into DM in his last years and many people raved about him as "the best RB and the best DM in one person", I wasn't sooo impressed. Yes, his positioning and tackles were good, he was calm on the ball and his short passing was good.
But his long balls weren't good, lang range shooting non-existent and obviously he wasn't the best DM in the air. Maybe I only think that way, because I always liked the "quarterback" type of DMs, like Pirlo, Alonso or Kroos, whereas Lahm in DM was basically like a smaller and physically weaker Busquets.

Kimmich however, really deserves to be rated as the best RB and the best DM right now in the world. The only other DMs that are as good in almost everything (defense, offense, work rate, mentality) are Fabinho and Thiago.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Nice quote :D

When Lahm was put into DM in his last years and many people raved about him as "the best RB and the best DM in one person", I wasn't sooo impressed. Yes, his positioning and tackles were good, he was calm on the ball and his short passing was good.
But his long balls weren't good, lang range shooting non-existent and obviously he wasn't the best DM in the air. Maybe I only think that way, because I always liked the "quarterback" type of DMs, like Pirlo, Alonso or Kroos, whereas Lahm in DM was basically like a smaller and physically weaker Busquets.

Kimmich however, really deserves to be rated as the best RB and the best DM right now in the world. The only other DMs that are as good in almost everything (defense, offense, work rate, mentality) are Fabinho and Thiago.
I'd say Lahm was the superior RB because of his immaculate defense, Kimmich is way ahead in terms of his midfield impact. In short: Lahm was an all-time great RB and a decent midfielder, Kimmich is a very good RB and on his way to be an all-time great midfielder. I can't really understand how the english commentators could repeatedly claim that Kimmich is "Lahm's clone".

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München

Hansi Flick is an employee... He's brilliant but he's a cog in a gearbox. Hate their guts but credit has to go to Hoeness and Rummenigge for doing almost everything right for more than 10 years now.

Also, in my opinion neither Davies nor Coman or even Gnabry are world class (yet) . They *play* world class level often, though.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Do they any sort of pushback from fans at the lack of academy players in their side? (It's only Muller, right?).

Or is that not really as much of an issue in Germany as it seems in England.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Do they any sort of pushback from fans at the lack of academy players in their side? (It's only Muller, right?).

Think they're fixing it by raiding Chelsea of their best talent! Musiala looks amazing from what I've seen.

archiebald

Hansi Flick is an employee... He's brilliant but he's a cog in a gearbox. Hate their guts but credit has to go to Hoeness and Rummenigge for doing almost everything right for more than 10 years now.

Also, in my opinion neither Davies nor Coman or even Gnabry are world class (yet) . They *play* world class level often, though.
Davies has the highest ceiling of the 3 and reminds me of a young Bale, but a fair bit stronger. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to left wing at some point, though you guys already have Sane and Coman for that spot.

Kimmich and Lewa are genuinely world class and I think Goretza gets there in a couple of years too.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

Everyone wants academy players in their squad. But they have to be good enough in the first place. And that is a tough ask, especially right now. So, you bascially have to be a Lahm, Bastian or Müller level of player to have a real chance. Unfortunately, these don't grow on trees. Fortunately, our scouts have been able to identify some real gems elsewhere^^. Davies, Nianzou and Musiala are fantastic prospects, and the vast majority of the squad is in the 24-26 age bracket. There are others, like Batista-Maier or Singh, who have been sent out on loans, and a few interesting ones in our U23, like Zirkzee, Dantas, or Stiller.
By and large, we can't really complain about the youth situation.

Davies has the highest ceiling of the 3 and reminds me of a young Bale, but a fair bit stronger. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to left wing at some point, though you guys already have Sane and Coman for that spot.
I think the wingback role is perfect for him. It's a lot harder to make these deep runs as winger.

Blackwidow

Just for the ones that question the fitness of the Bayern players...

Responsible for the fitness is Prof. Dr. Holger Broich
Not the "normal" fitness coach...

Biography

Professor Holger Broich graduated in sport sciences with a focus on training and performance at the German Sport University Cologne. In his diploma thesis, he worked with the Bundesliga football and developed a training and competition analysis of a season of »Bayer 04 Leverkusen«. Following the completion of his studies, he was instantly recruited by Bayer 04 Leverkusen and has since maintained the focus on theory and practice.
Whilst working with »Bayer 04 Leverkusen« Professor Holger Broich successfully completed his doctorate at the German Sport University Cologne in October 2009. His thesis was titled: »Quantitative Verfahren zur Leistungsdiagnostik im Leistungsfußball: Empirische Studien und Evaluationen verschiedener leistungsrelevanter Parameter« (Equiv. Quantitative Methods for Performance Diagnosis in Performance Football: Empirical Studies and Evaluations of Various Performance-Relevant Parameters). With this topic, he set early important impulses for the national and international professional football in the field of science, performance diagnostics and training.
From 2003 to 2014 he worked as a senior sports scientist and performance diagnostician, condition and rehabilitation coach at »Bayer 04 Leverkusen«. With his evidence-based approach, he set up a »High Performance Lab«, which scientifically investigated the importance of performance-diagnostic procedures and special training methods (altitude training, cryogenic applications) for performance.
Professor Holger Broich has been the head of the science, performance diagnostics and fitness department at FC Bayern München since 2014. He is responsible for the professional football, and overseas the entire range of young talent. He provided early impetus for national and international professional football in the field of science, performance diagnostics and training and has initiated significant innovations in the technical and scientific sector.
He not only has extensive professional experience at the highest international level - in addition to performance diagnostics and training management, he has also been intensively involved in the topics »Integrative Database Systems for Health and Performance«, »Meaningfulness and Implementation of Performance-Diagnostic Metabolic and Neuro-Muscular Parameters«, »Regeneration Times and Capacities of Tissues and Functions«, »Individual and Team-Related Patterns of Stress Reactions«. His scientific knowledge and the procedures developed by him on this basis are not limited to the field of football, but are applicable to the performance diagnostics of a wide range of sports.

(Info is from: https://www.medicalschool-hamburg.d...university-of-applied-sciences/holger-broich/ )

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Muller Alaba.
Davies Kimmich and Coman were scouted early

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s a reach. He had played plenty games for Juventus before you got him on loan. I wouldn’t class him as homegrown.
Coman is a PSG product anyone else is reaching.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
That’s a reach. He had played plenty games for Juventus before you got him on loan. I wouldn’t class him as homegrown.
Davies joined at 18
Kimmich and Coman joined at 19

AltiUn

If we're being honest the entirety of Germany is their academy.

Renegade

Davies joined at 18
Kimmich and Coman joined at 19
I know how old they are/were. However they all joined and went straight into the first team and not through your academy. It’d be like saying Ronaldo/Rooney came through our academy.

Jaxa

When the feck did Choupo-moting sign for Bayern !? , what a career this guy has had after leaving Stoke :lol: PSG and now Bayern, Juventus next ?