FC Bayern München 2020/21

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
When the feck did Choupo-moting sign for Bayern !? , what a career this guy has had after leaving Stoke :lol: PSG and now Bayern, Juventus next ?
Deadline day or the day before, something like that. Seems like a good signing actually, to give Lewa more time to regenerate but play the same style.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Good comeback for Sané, scored a goal and was involved in the last one too.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Do they any sort of pushback from fans at the lack of academy players in their side? (It's only Muller, right?).

Or is that not really as much of an issue in Germany as it seems in England.
Ribery and Robben werent homegrown and were loved by the Kurve, Kroos who arrived when he was 16 never was. Its also about attitude.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The academy hasn't been great during the last ~10 years and Bayern put in a lot of effort to reform/improve it (including building a new campus). A lot went wrong, but after 8 seasons in the forth division, the second team finally managed to get promoted in 18/19. The last ~2 years indicate that the management fixed the problems and it should show in the next years. In the past years there just haven't been many academy players, who had the quality to make it in the first division, nvm for a club like Bayern. In fairness at least part of the improvement comes from buying top class 15-17 year old teenager. I guess its up debate if these count as academy products or not, but I don't think anyone cares.
One way or another, Bayern is giving young players, who had little or no experience in (European) first divisions, a pathway into the team. Hopefully that continues with academy products and transferred youngsters.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
The academy hasn't been great during the last ~10 years and Bayern put in a lot of effort to reform/improve it (including building a new campus). A lot went wrong, but after 8 seasons in the forth division, the second team finally managed to get promoted in 18/19. The last ~2 years indicate that the management fixed the problems and it should show in the next years. In the past years there just haven't been many academy players, who had the quality to make it in the first division, nvm for a club like Bayern. In fairness at least part of the improvement comes from buying top class 15-17 year old teenager. I guess its up debate if these count as academy products or not, but I don't think anyone cares.
One way or another, Bayern is giving young players, who had little or no experience in (European) first divisions, a pathway into the team. Hopefully that continues with academy products and transferred youngsters.
Musiala and who else?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bright Arrey-Mbi (Chelsea), Mamin Sanyang, Armindo Sieb (both Hoffenheim), Chris Richards (MLS), Jeong (South Korean club; plays for Freiburg now). I am pretty sure that I am missing some.
It must also be said that Bayern’s academy produced quite a bit of good footballers over the last decade who just happened to be not good enough for Bayern. I am thinking of the likes of Can, Højbjerg, et at.

GameOn

It must also be said that Bayern’s academy produced quite a bit of good footballers over the last decade who just happened to be not good enough for Bayern. I am thinking of the likes of Can, Højbjerg, et at.
I think that's the problem, if you have that high of a standard like Bayern, Real and Barca had over the past decade.

In order to break into those super-teams, you have to be absolutely exceptional as an academy product.

Unfortunately such incredible talents are just so, so rare. Your academy might produce quite a few Cans or Højbjergs, but producing the next worldclass player (and that's what it takes to get into those super-teams) is just an entirely different task.

Blackwidow

The interesting bit is actually that none of Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Müller, Hummels or Badstuber (who was on the track before his ACLs) really was that top talent in youth. There participation in youth national teams came very late. And that all of them have a special character and mentality.

There is a price of the German FA for the three best U17, U18 and U19 youth players since 2005. It is interesting to see were all of them ended... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Walter_Medal

If you e.g. take the 1989 birth year - Müller and Reus have that birth year - the prizes went to
Lars and Sven Bender, Marko Marin, Eric Choupo-Moting, Stefan Reinartz, Dennis Diekmaier, Florian Jungwirth, Marcel Risse - all of them made it into the Bundesliga, some even have caps - but...

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Serge Gnabry's Corona test may have been a false positive. He has tested negative several times now, including an antibody test. Especially that last one should be highly indicative of a false positive initial test, as it confirms his immune system never responded to the virus, so in all likelihood he hasn't encountered it.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Gnabry's quarantine has been officially lifted after four days of negative testing.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that's the problem, if you have that high of a standard like Bayern, Real and Barca had over the past decade.

In order to break into those super-teams, you have to be absolutely exceptional as an academy product.

Unfortunately such incredible talents are just so, so rare. Your academy might produce quite a few Cans or Højbjergs, but producing the next worldclass player (and that's what it takes to get into those super-teams) is just an entirely different task.
I absolutely agree with you. I just wanted to highlight that Bayern’s academy is not crap but indeed producing good footballers, just not world class players. But the latter cannot be planned. I do like their increased focus on youth, even though it includes getting talents in from Chelsea or PSG.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Musiala will be the only player with at least 10 important appearances in the next 3-4 years.
I wouldn't bet on that.

With Jeong you are probably right. Richards and especially Arrey-Mbi are big CB talents, but we just bought another big talent (Nianzou), have another big talent in the 2nd team (Lawrence) and CB isn't the position you usually just throw in a youngster.

Sanyang and Sieb however are two of the most promising attacking players in their age group.
If Musiala continues like this, he will probably get Costas place as Winger Nr. 4 in the next 1-2 years and Sanyang/Sieb can fill his spot as a rotation player for the 1sf squad.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I wouldn't bet on that.

With Jeong you are probably right. Richards and especially Arrey-Mbi are big CB talents, but we just bought another big talent (Nianzou), have another big talent in the 2nd team (Lawrence) and CB isn't the position you usually just throw in a youngster.

Sanyang and Sieb however are two of the most promising attacking players in their age group.
If Musiala continues like this, he will probably get Costas place as Winger Nr. 4 in the next 1-2 years and Sanyang/Sieb can fill his spot as a rotation player for the 1sf squad.
Hoeness & Rummenigge are saying since many years that the new campus will be "our new transfer market" but so far nothing and of course to produce top quality youngers for the really top clubs is a tough job BUT

If you have won the league 8 times in a row (and the 9th title will easily happen in May too), have won many DFB-Pokal titles in the last years and are the holder of the Champions League then it is the perfect time to give Musiala, Zirkzee and Richards (Batista-Maier too) a fair chance to prove themselves (No one says 6-7 youngsters should get a chance but 3-4 youngsters).
Should the team have any problems or the youngsters are struggling so much then the club could still go to the transfer market in January to find players like Douglas Costa, Choupo-Moting and Sarr.

Last edited:

Hansa

For Germans, this is probably old stuff already, but I found this podcast from September about Bayern's rise to absolute dominance in the past decade. Close to five hours of discussing the various managers, teams, rivals and the impact on the Bundesliga. If you have a half-decent grasp of German, it's well worth a listen.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's Gerd Müller's 75th birthday tomorrow and the Bomber won't be able to celebrate it. Dementia has taken his life, but his body hasn't died yet. His wife gave a heartbreaking account of his current condition (https://www.focus.de/sport/fussball...gischen-zustand-ihres-mannes_id_12609357.html).
A (partially liberal) translation of her quote:
"Gerd is sleeping towards his end. His eyes are closed, he dozes, only rarely opens his mouth and gets pureed food. He is quiet and peaceful and I don't think he has to suffer. He's slowly drifting to the other side."

It's such a tragedy that the in my opinion greatest german footballer of all time had his later years taken from him by this horrible illness. I really hope that he can die peacefully sooner rather than later, also for the sake of his loved ones.
feck, this really got to me.

Ueanuwug

I may not really set on this Bayern squad. Naturally their attacking and central midfield is strong. So is their goalkeeper. Their defense on the other hand can be and did get overwhelmed quite a few times already and their squad lacks even more depth than last season.

Them getting Coupon Mouting was definitely necessary since a long injury of Lewandowski Last year would've been fatal since they didn't have any proper backup. Good for them Lewandowski is such a machine. Arp definitely took the step too early and we will see how Zirkzee will do.

Replacing Perisic with Sane is obviously an upgrade in quality. Simultaneously it is a downgrade in reliability. Their 3 main wingattacks are injury prone. Will have to see about Costa.

The departure of Thiago means a quality creative player being lost while replacing him with Roca sort of. As much as I value Kimmich and am impressed by Goretzka, they both don't have the creative genius of Thiago but other strengths. So while it is an incredible stable (especially defensively and against pressing) double 6/8 it is also may lack creativity and thus puts more pressure on the attacking 3/4.

On the other hand their defense looks good in depth but seems to lack outstanding players minus Davies. Alabas best Position isn't being a central defender. Hernandez seems to have been overvalued. Boatings best years are over. Packard, Süle and Safe are good mad solid defenders but not great ones. Plus their right defenders lack offensive impact.

To me it generally seems like Bayern will either be crushing it internationally once more when they manage to not have too many injuries. Or there is definitely a chance this squad can fall apart with a bit of bad luck.

GlasgowCeltic

I agree, think it was a mistake not replacing Coutinhos quality off the bench too

Blackwidow

I agree, think it was a mistake not replacing Coutinhos quality off the bench too
???
The only time he scored as a substitute was in the 8:2. I do not really think he was a good substitute. Most of the year he was too hard trying too impress in that minutes wasting better chances.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I may not really set on this Bayern squad. Naturally their attacking and central midfield is strong. So is their goalkeeper. Their defense on the other hand can be and did get overwhelmed quite a few times already and their squad lacks even more depth than last season.

Them getting Coupon Mouting was definitely necessary since a long injury of Lewandowski Last year would've been fatal since they didn't have any proper backup. Good for them Lewandowski is such a machine. Arp definitely took the step too early and we will see how Zirkzee will do.

Replacing Perisic with Sane is obviously an upgrade in quality. Simultaneously it is a downgrade in reliability. Their 3 main wingattacks are injury prone. Will have to see about Costa.

The departure of Thiago means a quality creative player being lost while replacing him with Roca sort of. As much as I value Kimmich and am impressed by Goretzka, they both don't have the creative genius of Thiago but other strengths. So while it is an incredible stable (especially defensively and against pressing) double 6/8 it is also may lack creativity and thus puts more pressure on the attacking 3/4.

On the other hand their defense looks good in depth but seems to lack outstanding players minus Davies. Alabas best Position isn't being a central defender. Hernandez seems to have been overvalued. Boatings best years are over. Packard, Süle and Safe are good mad solid defenders but not great ones. Plus their right defenders lack offensive impact.

To me it generally seems like Bayern will either be crushing it internationally once more when they manage to not have too many injuries. Or there is definitely a chance this squad can fall apart with a bit of bad luck.
How does Kimmich/Goretzka lack creativity? Their offensive output is huge and especially Kimmich has and does produce more goal scoring opportunities than Thiago. I get that Thiago looks nicer with the ball at his feet but Kimmich's passing is actually better/more penetrative.

I can agree that the defense is currently our weakest area but even there you are too critical of certain players. We obviously don't have a Ramos/Van Dijk type of player as CB currently but our system certainly doesn't make it easy for defenders either.
It should also be mentioned that Hernandez has played very well so far this season and actually looks like a player worth the fee we paid. Pavard on the other hand might not be a great threat forwards as FB but his output is often underestimated, there are actually not many FBs who will give you more and he is a nice balance to Davies on the other side.
We also have yet to see what Kouassi can do who is highly rated.

I really don't see us "falling apart" in any case. You obviously aren't likely to win the CL if you have a major injury crisis but that's true for any squad, there are simply players you can't replace.

Blackwidow

A Thiago/Kimmich pairing might produce more and better chances - a Goretzka/Kimmich pairing has more vigor. Thiago is the additional man in the zone 14 - Goretzka the additional player in the box. As Müller and Kimmich are very adaptable to the third player in the midfield three that usually does not make much difference even if in some matches to have the other solution would be better.

The problems that Bayern right now has is more that they did not have any preparation and do rotate more because of the situation. But that is a problem a lot of the teams seem to have - I do not know which of the top teams fares better right now. Yes, Bayern had some "worked wins" in the recent weeks - and yesterday's win was not really dominant. But even in times when Bayern was dominant in every match with Pep a team with Salzburg's philosophy would have always been hard to play against, too.

The defense - look at Bayern's tactics. Errors in midfield that are easily made will always let the defense look badly - no matter who plays there. The tactics need a compact play of the whole team - in both directions - and the first mistakes are seldom made by the defenders.

Flick is now Bayern coach for a year, a year with 43 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw.

Last edited:

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Right now the defence isn´t really strong, but its is absolutely not down to the players. You could replace anyone in the defence and it wont get better. It is a question of the whole team movement. And considering they just won the treble and have to play so many games now, they are surely not 100% focussed/ motivated in every single game at all. In order to play their system well requires maximum reduction of errors. Every single error can be punished easily.

They are vulnerable to concede multiple goals agaisnt any team of the world´right now. The reason why they didnt concede more goals is simply Neuer I believe . Actually insane how good he is, and he definitely has this aura making any player think twice before shooting. On top of that there powerful offensive play. So many players who assist and score goals at any time.

Pretty confident they will be completely focussed and fit again when it matters most.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Thomas Müller is now the player with the fifth most appearances for Bayern, and may well earn 3rd place this season. He then would replace his namesake, the legendary Gerd Müller as number three. The top two, Oliver Kahn and Sepp Maier, should be out of range with well over 600 appearances each.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Joshua Kimmich has been operated after his meniscus injury in the Dortmund match and is out for the rest of the year. Expected to come back in january.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Just saw this nice graph, actual goals vs expected goals for clubs of the big 5 leagues:

And the same with goals against: