Kick-off
Thu, 9 March 2017 @ 6:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Mourinho explains selection
    “Yes, we have to try to adapt to it, we have to try to create a team with qualities to fight against a hard opponent and difficult conditions so we try to adapt, t be solid, to be competitive because we have to manage to get a result.

“I don’t think it’s a passing game, it’s a game for creation or great dynamic, it will be more direct, more flighted than played, so let’s go for it.”

Thepinhead

Haha! I think Mourinho might have fooled us all at that presser.

I'm starting to think that when Mourinho was asked about the lineup and said he didn't know who to field he already had a good idea about how to play this game. Don't tell me a club like United turns up at rostov not knowing about the pitch condition before they step out on it. We must have had scouts at their last game assessing their team and the pitch conditions. And I can't believe a manager like Mourinho would sit a day before the game and say he has no clue who to field and how to set up his formation

Was this just one of mourinhos mindgames?

RedMaestro

I've been thinking a bit more about the lineup, maybe llike this:

Romero
    Young Jones Smalling Rojo
    Herrera Fellaini Blind
    Pogba Mkhi
    Ibra​
    Young will have the Valencia role, Blind will take care of the left side to help Rojo, since he had difficulties against Southampton. Pogba and Mkhi will move in a sort of free role. So maybe like this, if Blind wouldn't play on the RB?

Philadelphian

Happy to see Jose experimenting with 3 at the back. Had to happen at some point this season in order to start preparing for a potential shift next year. I think we see a 3-5-2 next year if that's what we play tonight.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    I have a feeling this game will be dull, but will get the job done.

keener

I think Jose gave context clues that he was concerned with the pitch and that he "didn't know what lineup to send out" and he's thinking didn't really know what style of play he was going to attempt.... and maybe he's concluded it's going to be a kick it long affair on both sides and wanted a defensive minded group on the pitch with an extra defender in Young and good areal defenders in Smalling, Jones and Rojo.

We've not really seen Jose turn super defensive but if he drastically covets winning the Europa league, then maybe he's reverting back to his defensive tactics while at Chelski.... No evidence of doing this with us so far though....

SirAF

Ageist
    I think Jose gave context clues that he was concerned with the pitch and that he "didn't know what lineup to send out" and he's thinking didn't really know what style of play he was going to attempt.... and maybe he's concluded it's going to be a kick it long affair on both sides and wanted a defensive minded group on the pitch with an extra defender in Young and good areal defenders in Smalling, Jones and Rojo.

We've not really seen Jose turn super defensive but if he drastically covets winning the Europa league, then maybe he's reverting back to his defensive tactics while at Chelski.... No evidence of doing this with us so far though....
    I don't mind him parking the bus to win the EL, not one bit.

Janson

Happy to see Jose experimenting with 3 at the back. Had to happen at some point this season in order to start preparing for a potential shift next year. I think we see a 3-5-2 next year if that's what we play tonight.
    So we are in fact playing 3 at the back? That would be strange.

Infra-red

Experiment with 3 at the back today or parts of the match as foreshadowing for Chelsea? Throw a little wrinkle eh Jose?!
    Looks like it will be a back 4 and 4-3-3:

United playing three up top
    Young further forward.

Follow
    Rob Dawson

✔@RobDawsonMEN

Going off how United are warming up, it looks like Young, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic will play as a front three.

5:39 PM - 9 Mar 2017

Akshay

Staff
    To you and me, and most fans, Yes. But Mou on the other hand hasn't been averse to using Rojo at LB. I'm just going off on the basis of how the United Twitter feed assembled the names, so can take my guess with a pinch of salt. I actually think Blind at LCB could be a genius move. With no Carrick in the team, Blind will have the license to play those forward passes and he will bring much needed composure to that back line along side Jones and Smalling who can be headless on occasions.
    I don't know much about the Rostov players but if they have good pace merchants on the wings I'd be reluctant to play Blind there. Then again Rojo doesn't really work either. I don't know why we took Shaw off at 60 minutes v Bournemouth if he wasn't going to feature at all today.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    United going three in midfield?
    Herrera at the base with Fellaini and Pogba ahead of him, it looks like.

Goodness knows who’ll be at right-back. Might have to be Smalling or Jones.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
    Think Blind will be key this evening. No one plays a better long ball that he, think we will see him picking it up deep and pinging it up to Fellaini and Ibra quite frequently.

Ash_G

Not sure if we needed to start Pogba in this one. If the aim is to go for a draw or maybe nick a win feels like we could do that without Pogba and maybe even Mikhi but I suppose in reality this match is more important than the FA cup against Chelsea.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
    United to win in uninspiring fashion. 2-0.

Philadelphian

So we are in fact playing 3 at the back? That would be strange.
    I was speculating, and looks like I was wrong. Was excited at the thought of some more flexibility by Jose with his tactics, but oh well. Young as RW!

Charlie Foley

I'm most excited for the post match 'you should all be ashamed of yourselves in the matchday thread' threads.

JonDahl

We aren't losing this. I expect a win but the state of the pitch can give Rostov a chance at a jammy draw.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
    Manchester reds
    Pitch doesn't look as bad as I'd imagined it from the reports. Think that team is easily good enough to do the job tonight. I don't know what they're about but there's Russian pundits saying we should put the tie to bed tonight with a 0-2 or 0-3 win even with the rest Rostov have had.

Oaencha

I'm expecting a gentleman's game of hoofball tonight. We have to attack and get as many away goals as possible. Young has a decent cross in him, Blind has a good passing range and hopefully Ibra and le Mop will win the aerial battles. I'm not confident but I'm guessing 1-3.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 357 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Rostov win
  • Draw