Television Fear City: New York vs. The Mafia (Netflix)

Hoof the ball

Excellent little documentary series on the strength of the Five Families in the 60s/70s and the subsequent creation of the RICO act which led to wiretapping that ultimately weakened the mob in the 80s.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea it was brilliant.

Would love to see a doc on Donnie Brasco as well.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was good. It's bizarre how powerful the Mafia used to be.

acnumber9

I was a little disappointed by it. Too much FBI and not enough about how the mob get their control. Though it’s always going to be more difficult to get people in the mob to talk about it for obvious reasons.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's not really a doc on the mafia necessarily, the main focus is the Commission Trial.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It was okay. Expected to be much more gripping.

acnumber9

It's not really a doc on the mafia necessarily, the main focus is the Commission Trial.
Yeah but it is sold as such. Which is why I was a little disappointed though I shouldn’t have been particularly surprised by that.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was a decent watch.

It’s a bit funny seeing Guiliani as someone who took down the Mob & battled corruption to what he is now.

Hoof the ball

I was a little disappointed by it. Too much FBI and not enough about how the mob get their control. Though it’s always going to be more difficult to get people in the mob to talk about it for obvious reasons.
You're better off reading Five Families by Selwyn Raab. Comprehensive amount of the development and organisation of the Mafia from the early 1900's until today.

acnumber9

Really? The name of the show is New York vs. The Mafia. About as clear an indication that court procedure is a big part of this series?
Yeah, the trailers didn’t focus much on them chatting about how they put bugs into places though did it? I just found it a little dull in places.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A bit off topic but apparently there's like a 5-6 hour British doc on the mafia which does feature a lot of mobster interviews. It's from the 80s when most of these famous mob dudes were alive.

Part 1: