Fear factor was back

Dominos

Erm, was this not an absolute typical game against Newcastle at home, the same game we see every season? They sit behind the ball and look to hit us the counter. They did a pretty good job of it too up until 80 minutes when Bruno scored a screamer to let us breathe easy.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
When you see our squad, it will incredibly asinine for any club not to fear us. Only PSg can make a claim that they have a better 11. However, it might effect the way we love to play with the counter.
Psg city chelsea.

Luke1995

I hope we can have good performances away from home aswell. Even in Ferguson's prime, some away performances, specially in Europe, were not as good as at Old Trafford.

But yeah if we can win most of the games at home, that will take us a long way...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
---------------------De Gea---------------------
AWB----Varane----Maguire----Shaw
------------Pogba-------Matic------------
Greenwood---Bruno---Sancho
--------------------Ronaldo--------------------

I mean FFS look at that team, of course the fear factor is back and then you potentially look at the bench and see Rashford, Cavani Martial and even the likes of Lingard. Ole has built one hell of a squad

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Problem is , we still need Fred and McT in the midfield to help us in certain games. Newcastle had no plan to dominate the midfield but when we are up against some tough nuts, we might have a problem (without Fred and McT).

Think next week will be a good barometer.

DeGea

On paper, when you look at our starting 11, it is difficult to see how we should not be challenging for the title right to the very end and/or at least win a cup this season. The team needs to deliver to keep momentum going. Make no mistake about it, our first 11 is very very good. No team is perfect of course, but SAF/Pep/Klopp could probably win the title with our first 11. Pressure on Ole now, and he knows it.

rhajdu

That was also my feeling. Newcastle shat themselves and they were wasting time from the very first minute. However, I also noticed that we became too relaxed and allowed them to be a bit more brave in the 2nd half. Hopefully that won't happen next time. It's only the beginning of the season and Sancho hasn't arrived yet... and we also have Rashford...

Dominos

Newcastle spending the first 30 minutes of the game time wasting. Teams are beat before the match starts. You love to see it
Absolutely bizarre take.

They played how relegation candidates nearly always play when they come to old trafford, get men behind the ball and hope for counters. It took us 47 minutes to create a real chance from a keeper howler. And they equalised 2nd half and looked dangerous on the counter throughout.

There was absolutely nothing different about today than previous seasons. In some games we've had the quality to win against these low block teams, and in some games we haven't. Today we got the job done in the end. Signing better players will increase the amount of games we win against teams playing a low block, shock horror. No need to apply this sort of pseudo psychology to the situation.

hobbers

The best part for me was how dominant we were in both boxes. Won the first header in the majority of our corners, even if it didn't come to anything today. Get the sense that with Ronaldo, Varane and Maguire we'll actually score from set pieces again this season.

And that adds to a feeling of inevitability about us scoring that has been fecking rare in the last few years.

charlenefan

Absolutely bizarre take.

They played how relegation candidates nearly always play when they come to old trafford, get men behind the ball and hope for counters. It took us 47 minutes to create a real chance from a keeper howler. And they equalised 2nd half and looked dangerous on the counter throughout.

There was absolutely nothing different about today than previous seasons. In some games we've had the quality to win agains these low block teams, and in some games we haven't. Today we got the job done in the end.
nah there was, we didn't do as well as we should with their transitions but bar the counter attacks Newcastle had no periods of possession, we were camped in their half for 90 minutes. Last season teams would come to OT and they'd have periods where we were made to defend. There was non of that today

Dominos

nah there was, we didn't do as well as we should with their transitions but bar the counter attacks Newcastle had no periods of possession, we were camped in their half for 90 minutes. Last season teams would come to OT and they'd have periods where we were made to defend. There was non of that today
We had 71% possession against Newcastle at home last season. Today we had 64%. Your eyes are seeing what you tell them to see.

Pseudo psychology bollocks, as I said.

El Zoido

The time wasting was ridiculous.
The irony is, if they hadn't spent so much of the half time wasting, there might not have been two minutes at the end of it which is when we scored the goal.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

We don’t really play good football but can beat anyone without a doubt. A bit like the antithesis to Ajax or a bunch of Spanish clubs.
If you ask Barca, Bayern etc who the would like to avoid in the CL knockouts they will surely name us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Fear factor is there but also Newcastle is a bit shite from very start of the season... at least now we have proper tormentors to punish these lot.

Stormrage101MUFC

I distinctly remember in the 2009-10 season right after Ronaldo left, we had a tough first few games especially at Old Trafford, and Cesc Fabregas of Arsenal gave an interview saying that "the fear factor at Old Trafford is now gone" since Ronaldo left.

Well guess what? Now it's back :devil: :devil: :devil:

Lentwood

We'll get ground down by teams like Liverpool and Chelsea, we're too open.

I still think we are well capable of having a good season but I don't see us winning the league until we can completely control a game.

At the moment, I feel like we're a bit like a heavyweight with a massive punch but a weak chin

charlenefan

We had 71% possession against Newcastle at home last season. Today we had 64%. Your eyes are seeing what you tell them to see.

well aren't you a joy

TheReligion

Abusive
Our fear factor is back alright, fear how many goals we will concede.

Defense was shaky today.

Matic got skinned several times as did Harry when anyone ran at them.

Hopefully they will sort that out soon, don't understand why Matic kept diving in everytime instead of taking a step back. Schoolboy defending there.
We conceded one.

RetroStu

I dont think the fear factor is there yet to be honest, simply becaue we are bad and often outplayed in far too many of our games. Having Ronaldo up front does bring a little fear factor though, and will make teams think twice about going so gung ho against us.

The_Midfielder

We'll get ground down by teams like Liverpool and Chelsea, we're too open.

I still think we are well capable of having a good season but I don't see us winning the league until we can completely control a game.

At the moment, I feel like we're a bit like a heavyweight with a massive punch but a weak chin
But Fred and McTominay will play those games .

McTerminator

I think that's just Newcastle to be honest rather than being indicative of some wider point. They're in a bit of a hole. It's a weak side with underinvestment so they were always going to play this way.

There will still be some teams that have much more of a go at OT.

Might be a little soon to say this. However, if you listen to stories from ex-pros they talk about hating playing at OT because they spent the whole 90 minutes getting battered and wishing it would end.

A couple years of games like today and that fear factor could quickly return.

TheReligion

Abusive
Indeed, but could have been more and would we have won if Ronaldo hadn't been signed?

The team will get better 100% i have no doubt, we just need to plug that midfield hold.
It could have been less. We might have won. We might have lost. I'm not sure of your point?

Yes the midfield is still a worry. Agree with that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't buy it. Newcastle are shite and spineless and still created a few dangerous situations today.

We have the attack to petrify teams but there are plenty of teams who will look at our midfield and say; "Yes, please."

Raven

We have Ronaldo, every team fears Ronaldo. The rest of our squad is formidable as well though, we're a little light in midfield but we can definitely win something this season.

choccy77

It could have been less. We might have won. We might have lost. I'm not sure of your point?

Yes the midfield is still a worry. Agree with that.
The point was I simply responded to your "we conceded one" line ;)

Reddevildans

Too many false dawns since the last time we won the Premier league. Let's wait till 10-15 games are played and we've played a rival.

wise_old_man

That was also my feeling. Newcastle shat themselves and they were wasting time from the very first minute. However, I also noticed that we became too relaxed and allowed them to be a bit more brave in the 2nd half. Hopefully that won't happen next time. It's only the beginning of the season and Sancho hasn't arrived yet... and we also have Rashford...
We dropped our level on purpose so Newcastle would be braver to attack and open up more spaces.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Pseudo psychology? Objectively speaking they got booked for time wasting with the score at 0-0 at minute 30. The ref seems to have bought into that pseudo psychology hey?

When is the last time any team has done that against us in the first 30 minutes?

How can any team be comfortable with Sancho, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Bruno and Pogba coming at you?

SoCross

We are very susceptible to the counter and to strong ball carrying players currently.

McFred will sort that out.

Marcus

Scoring 4 against a low-block time-wasting team. This is progress.

Pickle85

That was just sad tbh. As much as it annoys me, its understandable when you've passed the hour mark, but doing it from the start of the game at 0-0 is just dumb
I imagine it was less about wasting time and more about trying to stop us/the game getting into any sort of rhythm. Though admittedly wasting time was also beneficial for them!

kthanksbye

Don't know about the fear factor yet, but it was so satisfying that the keeper was wasting time from the 5th min onward and then the first goal was his fault and then he let one in through his legs.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What gives you that idea? This current team has winners, actual winners dotted around all over the pitch. DDG, Varane, Pogba, Robaldo, Matic.

Couple that with the quality and class of players like Maguire, Bruno and Shaw. Shaw especially has grown into some player. DDG seems to have found his old form also. This is, or has the potential to be one of our best teams in a very long time.