Federico Chiesa - scouted by United - on his way to Juve

Mr Smith

we've been linked with Fati too, which also seems like bollocks

this feels like typical Ed shenanigans, trying to get them to lower the Sancho price

we'll leave it to the last few days and pay the asking price, it's just how we roll
I really hope it's not just that though. We have to have other options if Sancho doesn't happen. I'd be open to someone like Cheisa, but if we're looking at wingers in Italy, I'd actually much prefer Bernadeschi, who's a much more finished product but has been frozen out a bit at Juve as they can't fit him in with the system Sarri is playing. I reckon we could get him for a decent price too.

spaceboyRSA

we've been linked with Fati too, which also seems like bollocks

this feels like typical Ed shenanigans, trying to get them to lower the Sancho price

we'll leave it to the last few days and pay the asking price, it's just how we roll
To be fair, we've been linked by some low ranking papers and tweeters. Not everything they say is real (most isnt), or a leak from the club.

Champagne Football

I just think goes for David Brooks or Matondo before he thinks about Chiesa. Chiesa obviously is awesome but is his girlfriend gonna moan about the weather in Manchester? Is he gonna miss his mother's Bolognaise too much? It's just too much of a risk whether he will settle or not.

Ole will buy from Serie A if there's a deal that's too good to be true, but I think he'd honestly prefer to give Chong a chance or give Greenwood the right wing rather than take a risk on Chiesa. The report in the Italian press that we are favourites to land him is agents simply getting his name out there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just think goes for David Brooks or Matondo before he thinks about Chiesa. Chiesa obviously is awesome but is his girlfriend gonna moan about the weather in Manchester? Is he gonna miss his mother's Bolognaise too much? It's just too much of a risk whether he will settle or not.

Ole will buy from Serie A if there's a deal that's too good to be true, but I think he'd honestly prefer to give Chong a chance or give Greenwood the right wing rather than take a risk on Chiesa. The report in the Italian press that we are favourites to land him is agents simply getting his name out there.
I'm not disputing the veracity of the reports in Italy. What i'm disputing here is how you speak in such certainty regarding Ole's intentions of potentially signing a player of Italian heritage or Ole's intentions in general regarding the RWF role.

And as far as the player acclimatizing to English football and our country, i'd leave that to the scouts and coaches who i'm confident would conduct the necessary due dilligence in that regard.

Tarrou

We left Bruno until late in January in the last window when we needed him early, and Maguire took ages in the window before that. Maybe we saved some money but I don’t think so.

I guess we do this in order to try to negotiate a better deal, which is fine but it rarely seems to work . I can’t see us making a big signing like Sancho early in the window, it will be drawn out again.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We left Bruno until late in January in the last window when we needed him early, and Maguire took ages in the window before that. Maybe we saved some money but I don’t think so.

I guess we do this in order to try to negotiate a better deal, which is fine but it rarely seems to work . I can’t see us making a big signing like Sancho early in the window, it will be drawn out again.
But then the likes of AWB, James, Fred, Dalot, Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof all signed well before the end of the window.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
It's never gonna happen. There's been way too many flops from Serie A in recent years and Ole won't take that risk - Darmian, Balotelli, Lamela, Jovetic, Cuadrado etc
It's a bit unfair to only mention the flops and no one of them really joined an EPL club in recent years.

Players who joined an EPL top club, since June 1st, 2016:

- Rudiger, Roma to Chelsea: he's always been a regular starter. EXCELLENT
- Salah, Roma to Liverpool: WORLD CLASS player
- Torreira, Sampdoria to Arsenal: Decent.. I get the impression he's never really settled in that disfuctional team but he's not a flop. £ 25 mln spent, they should be able to get £ 35-40 mln for him.
- [Irrelevant point], Fiorentina to Chelsea: great under Conte and in the last few weeks before covid-19. I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans would rather keep him and get rid of.....
- Emerson Palmieri, Roma to Chelsea: FLOP
- Alisson, Roma to Liverpool: WORLD CLASS player
- Jorginho, Napoli to Chelsea: he's not prime Fabregas but still a very useful player and a he's a regular starter for Chelsea. EXCELLENT
- Zappacosta, Torino to Chelsea: FLOP
- Pogba, Juventus to M.United: WORLD CLASS player, he won't leave United for anything less than £ 100 mln
- Higuain, AC Milan to Chelsea: quite a FLOP even if he already was mediocre for us last season
- Joao Cancelo, Juventus to M.City: not even one full season there, we'll see..

Tarrou

But then the likes of AWB, James, Fred, Dalot, Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof all signed well before the end of the window.
True but Sancho is a big name player off the top shelf with other suitors, it will be much harder to agree on a price. I reckon it will go down to the wire, but with a narrow transfer window this summer we won't have much time to fanny around.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Honestly I haven't seen him play. Can an Italian break him down?
I'm not Italian but I'm a regular Serie A watcher :)

He has an excellent work ethic. This season, he has played many matches as part of a front 2 as Fiorentina deployed a 3-5-2. It's not a fitting role imo as he is better as a winger. He can be a handful for defenders, but he lacks end product and does not always make the right decisions. He's quite highly rated in Italy, but I do think he's a little over-rated. He hasn't been helped by being played out of position. He's not afraid to take a shot from outside of the box and definitely has a "drive".

He's also quite possibly the biggest diver I have ever seen.

Scholsey2004

I'd normally be happy enough with the prospect of signing a promising young player like Chiesa. I can't help but think though that if we're seriously in for Chiesa then Sancho won't be coming, period, which would be a disappointment. Chiesa would be nailed on for the right side of a front three. Of course Chiesa could literally be half Sancho's price from the sound of it.

On Chiesa himself his dribbling and running style reminds me a lot of Carlos Tevez.

Bondi77

Unpopular opinion here but just thought I would keep it real;
James.eshas not even had a season yet but I get the impression Ole is happy with his work and is only going to get better so he is not going
To waste money on this bloke.
We may move for Sancho as there is so much talk about it but now apparently Grealish is our main target and we ain't spending no 100mil

Scholsey2004

I've not really seen a lot of him but he looks really quick, strong and hard working. Good strike as well. I can see why Ole would like him, he definitely fits the profile.

jamesjimmybyrondean

James.eshas not even had a season yet but I get the impression Ole is happy with his work and is only going to get better so he is not going
We may move for Sancho as there is so much talk about it but now apparently Grealish is our main target and we ain't spending no 100mil
Has Stone said this?

Scholsey2004

I'd imagine James would cover both wings and get plenty of games. With Rashford, Chiesa, James and Greenwood we'd be sorted for wide players for the foreseeable future. We used to have two sides good enough to compete for the title remember? The Chiesa offer was for £53m and was almost enough apparently so reasonable price.

Bondi77

I'd imagine James would cover both wings and get plenty of games. With Rashford, Chiesa, James and Greenwood we'd be sorted for wide players for the foreseeable future. We used to have two sides good enough to compete for the title remember? The Chiesa offer was for £53m and was almost enough apparently so reasonable price.
53mil eh?
Source please?

LuckyScout78

From what i have observed. Sancho has world class skills. But Chiesa had top mentality and top hard work ability, as McTom, Bruno as Rashford. Chiesa has same mentality and fighting spirit as those 3 players. Chiesa is not a mood player. Chiesa always give 100 and is aggressive as McTom.

In an ideal. I would buy both. Place Chiesa on the left, then move Rashford back as CF. Then United dont need to look after a new really good CF. United have already a really good CF, A Vardy type of CF in Rashford. A hard working and aggressive CF like Vardy. So that CF problem will solve. And Bruno shall play as a free nr.10. It mean United will only use one CF most of the times. If two at the same time and Bruno deeper as nr.8 in need. Then you Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Ighalo to chose from.
Chiesa versatility will give United many others alternative options.

A really strong line up:

Sancho/Chiesa - McTom - Pogba/Bruno - Chiesa/Martial + Bruno + Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

So sum. Chiesa is not as skillful as Sancho. But from what i have observed. I rate Chiesa mentality above. And as this moment. Chiesa is a half level above James, too be honest. And playing with teammates like Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial. I am sure Chiesa will score many goals and assists too. Chiesa does match Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial skills level. But only the young man Jadon Sancho football skills is above. His feet are really fast. World class skills.

So Sancho and Chiesa are two wingers I really like and enjoy watching. Chiesa was good playing for Italy U21, with Kean and Spain Fabian Ruiz. But naturally Italy U21 few years back in time was a lot better than Fiorentina right now. It made and helped him to doing well. The level of your teammates count a lot, on your performance. Just like you see with Bruno. He lift everyone’s performance. Now, Bruno is here. He will help Chiesa impact and performance too. Not only Bruno, but with a ready others good teammates too.

So the scenes are already set up. For both of Sancho and Chiesa doing well.
Compare back to the days. When all of Kawaga, Di Maria, Falcao, Mikhitaryan. All were struggling because they came at the wrong time, where United were struggling as a team and the way down. Now, the United ship is steady on the way up now. So the signs are clearly now.
A central spine with. Maguire if he hit the best level of CB, McTom CM, Bruno as a free CAM and Rashford back as CF. It is a really strong central line. A key factor for a successful team. Adding with Sancho, Chiesa, Martial and Pogba if he stays for many years. United future will look really good. It will help United new really good player a lot. They are joining a future winning team. You meet top aggressive and hard working players like Rashford, Bruno, McTom, Bissaka and Williams. It will not be easy to meet them.

In the end. You dont need to be a top football coach or expert to see it. That what will happen if United get Sancho and ideally Chiesa, to move Rashford back as CF. United will become a really good and strong team in the future and years to come. But if Sancho choose to stay with Dortmund for another season or another club. Chiesa will be another RW and versatile attacking options. So exciting future to come. United are not far to become a complete team now.

Bondi77

From what i have observed. Sancho has world class skills. But Chiesa had top mentality and top hard work ability, as McTom, Bruno as Rashford. Chiesa has same mentality and fighting spirit as those 3 players. Chiesa is not a mood player. Chiesa always give 100 and is aggressive as McTom.

In an ideal. I would buy both. Place Chiesa on the left, then move Rashford back as CF. Then United dont need to look after a new really good CF. United have already a really good CF, A Vardy type of CF in Rashford. A hard working and aggressive CF like Vardy. So that CF problem will solve. And Bruno shall play as a free nr.10. It mean United will only use one CF most of the times. If two at the same time and Bruno deeper as nr.8 in need. Then you Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Ighalo to chose from.
Chiesa versatility will give United many others alternative options.

A really strong line up:

Sancho/Chiesa - McTom - Pogba/Bruno - Chiesa/Martial + Bruno + Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

So sum. Chiesa is not as skillful as Sancho. But from what i have observed. I rate Chiesa mentality above. And as this moment. Chiesa is a half level above James, too be honest. And playing with teammates like Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial. I am sure Chiesa will score many goals and assists too. Chiesa does match Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial skills level. But only the young man Jadon Sancho football skills is above. His feet are really fast. World class skills.

So Sancho and Chiesa are two wingers I really like and enjoy watching. Chiesa was good playing for Italy U21, with Kean and Spain Fabian Ruiz. But naturally Italy U21 few years back in time was a lot better than Fiorentina right now. It made and helped him to doing well. The level of your teammates count a lot, on your performance. Just like you see with Bruno. He lift everyone’s performance. Now, Bruno is here. He will help Chiesa impact and performance too. Not only Bruno, but with a ready others good teammates too.

So the scenes are already set up. For both of Sancho and Chiesa doing well.
Compare back to the days. When all of Kawaga, Di Maria, Falcao, Mikhitaryan. All were struggling because they came at the wrong time, where United were struggling as a team and the way down. Now, the United ship is steady on the way up now. So the signs are clearly now.
A central spine with. Maguire if he hit the best level of CB, McTom CM, Bruno as a free CAM and Rashford back as CF. It is a really strong central line. A key factor for a successful team. Adding with Sancho, Chiesa, Martial and Pogba if he stays for many years. United future will look really good. It will help United new really good player a lot. They are joining a future winning team. You meet top aggressive and hard working players like Rashford, Bruno, McTom, Bissaka and Williams. It will not be easy to meet them.

In the end. You dont need to be a top football coach or expert to see it. That what will happen if United get Sancho and ideally Chiesa, to move Rashford back as CF. United will become a really good and strong team in the future and years to come. But if Sancho choose to stay with Dortmund for another season or another club. Chiesa will be another RW and versatile attacking options. So exciting future to come. United are not far to become a complete team now.
Did you watch the games when Rashford played as a CF?

Scholsey2004

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ekeke

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...50m-plus-Fiorentina-star-Federico-Chiesa.html
Links to this lad really starting to hot up now, seemingly as a plan B to Sancho. Would not be happy with this tbh as for me, Greenwood is better than him and I’d rather we just not sign anyone if he is plan B and Sancho doesn’t join this summer.
Greenwood still needs competition. If he has a rough patch of form or has an injury for a while, you'd rather have Mata, James and Lingard than Chiesa? Thats one of the reasons why we've struggled in attack for many years till its finally clicked into place a short time ago with Fernandes and Greenwood giving the team the things it was missing for several years :

1) Real quality going forward from midfield, other than Pogba who was struggling to do it alone
2) A real goal and creative threat coming from the right. We needed to sign this type of player for years, we never did but thankfully Greenwood has been developed to be exactly the type of player we were missing

If Greenwood is playing poorly or is unavailable we're back where we were before.

Pav1878

Looks a very good, exciting player to me with qualities we need.

Would be a very good addition to the squad.

arthurka

Adding competition to our frontline is essential to our progression. Sancho is our main target but we will need to keep BVB on their toes so having alternatives is a must.

RashyForPM

Any RW link that is hotting up is simply a negotiation tactic for Sancho.
Gotta hope it’s just Woody being clever.
Greenwood still needs competition. If he has a rough patch of form or has an injury for a while, you'd rather have Mata, James and Lingard than Chiesa? Thats one of the reasons why we've struggled in attack for many years till its finally clicked into place a short time ago with Fernandes and Greenwood giving the team the things it was missing for several years :

1) Real quality going forward from midfield, other than Pogba who was struggling to do it alone
2) A real goal and creative threat coming from the right. We needed to sign this type of player for years, we never did but thankfully Greenwood has been developed to be exactly the type of player we were missing

If Greenwood is playing poorly or is unavailable we're back where we were before.
Forget to add to my post that if Sancho doesn’t come this summer, he still should in 2021. Thus, I seriously doubt that Chiesa would be happy to be 3rd choice RW when he seems to have a couple other suitors too. In your scenario where Sancho generally doesn’t come, you would be right, but I’m happy with one of them 3 players as 2nd choice for next season and 3rd for 21-22.

Smores

Adding competition to our frontline is essential to our progression. Sancho is our main target but we will need to keep BVB on their toes so having alternatives is a must.
I bet they're shaking in their boots at United being linked to other players in the Daily Mail.

Classical Mechanic

He looked good in the u21 Euros last year but his stats in Serie A are pretty crap.

He has a goal or assist every 244 minutes in Serie A this season. Compare that to Sancho with 1 every 70 minutes in the BL! You can argue that Chiesa plays for a weaker side in the league but he’s more comparable to Todd Cantwell who has a G+A contribution every 288 minutes whilst playing in a worse team.

His xG also says that he should be scoring more and has 7 less than expected since he started playing in Serie A four seasons ago. He has been undermined by his teammates in expected assists and should have 5 more over the past 4 seasons.

Statistically he’s not excelling in any area in Serie A.The only metric he nears the top is shots per game. He has the 8th most shots per game in the league but has only scored 6 goals. Only Baloteli in the top 10 shots per game has scored less with 5.

Last edited:

arthurka

I bet they're shaking in their boots at United being linked to other players in the Daily Mail.
Not saying that based on one insider scoop from a trash paper. But stating that the need to have options and a plan if we won't be capable of securing the signing of Sancho.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Him and Dembele being used as a smokescreen. Usually this happens to us when we are after a player who more than one team wants. It’s good to be on the other side for once.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I'm not Italian but I'm a regular Serie A watcher :)

He has an excellent work ethic. This season, he has played many matches as part of a front 2 as Fiorentina deployed a 3-5-2. It's not a fitting role imo as he is better as a winger. He can be a handful for defenders, but he lacks end product and does not always make the right decisions. He's quite highly rated in Italy, but I do think he's a little over-rated. He hasn't been helped by being played out of position. He's not afraid to take a shot from outside of the box and definitely has a "drive".

He's also quite possibly the biggest diver I have ever seen.
Sounds like glorified Dan James

Bojan11

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...50m-plus-Fiorentina-star-Federico-Chiesa.html
Links to this lad really starting to hot up now, seemingly as a plan B to Sancho. Would not be happy with this tbh as for me, Greenwood is better than him and I’d rather we just not sign anyone if he is plan B and Sancho doesn’t join this summer.
And what happens if one of the front three like this season gets injured? Dan James, Lingard or Mata are not going to cover it.

RashyForPM

And what happens if one of the front three like this season gets injured? Dan James, Lingard or Mata are not going to cover it.
Forget to add to my post that if Sancho doesn’t come this summer, he still should in 2021. Thus, I seriously doubt that Chiesa would be happy to be 3rd choice RW when he seems to have a couple other suitors too. In your scenario where Sancho generally doesn’t come, you would be right, but I’m happy with one of them 3 players as 2nd choice for next season and 3rd for 21-22.

Jericholyte2

To be fair this is the next step of the new United Transfer tactic:

1. Brief that you’re only willing to pay £Xm for player ☑
2. Brief of interest / offers for other players in the same position
3. Purchase original target

Happened for both AWB and Maguire, with Max Aarons linked as RB prior to signing, as well as the host of CBS United were ‘looking at as alternative’ for Maguire.

Nothing to this but smoke and mirrors.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
This guy has no end product. He’s perhaps the most overrated player in Italy (together with that donkey of a player Belotti)

I wouldn’t even pay 20 mill for him.

beingshe7don

Chiesa has been hyped. You'd think if he was all that good, Juve and Inter would be all over him like they've done with the likes of Barella, Tonali, Zaniola and so on. I'm not sure apart from ability, he will gel with our current team. If we don't get Sancho, I would consider getting Ferran Torres, O Dembele, Benhrahma before we go for Chiesa.