Feigning injury being used as a tactic to waste time

led_scholes

Wouldn’t work. If a team has a player genuinely taken out by an opponent why should they be punished by having that man off the field for a few minutes.
Usually, when a player is injured more seriously, the medical team comes inside and the clock stops. And already when this happens, the player leaves the field for a while anyway.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
There’s so many things that could be done to improve the game for spectators, but it’s been shown time and time again that they genuinely don’t give a shit about the fans. Instead, they will mess around with the wording of VAR, change what is offside or handball.

No one cares about that as long as refs try to apply it consistently. A week after the Spurs game and does anyone actually care about the Telles/Dier thing? Even if we’d have drawn I can’t say I’d have thought about it past the next game.

One easy change to make football more enjoyable. Stopping a counter attack on purpose is an orange card. 10 minutes sin bin. The current rules are far too weighted in favour of teams playing a high press and were never invented for that type of football.

Someone try and convince me that’s a bad idea?
Well if you're not one for stopping the clock then those ten minutes that the player is sin binned for will be mostly taken up by his teammates rolling around on the floor and time wasting.

Oranges038

The one time I remember the referee not stopping for the Atletico shitebag was near the end and he was up in a flash once he realised it wasn't being bought.

Allow the game to go on and let the player receive treatment if they need it while the game carries on around them. If they are in a receiving treatment they are not active and cannot be playing anyone onside or offside.

Only stop the game it if a player from both sides is down after a clash.

SirAF

Ageist
This is why you should never put the ball out of play, ever. Doesn’t help much if the oppo is clutching his head and the ref has to stop play though.

Gorse Hill Red

The only way to stop time wasting would be an American Football style clock. Overnight it would stop feigning injuries, slow throw ins and goal kicks, slow substitutions, no injury time and all the dark arts to waste time.
The problem is the change would be too great for football to accept. Surprised though it has never been trialed at the lower leagues.

Reactions: Cheimoon

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
30 minute ball-in-play clock for each half. If the clock reaches 30 before the half finishes then no additional time. Equally the half does not finish until 30 minutes ball-in-play is reached.

Maybe a sin-bin for unsporting conduct.

I doubt anything will change. Football rewards cheats unfortunately.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wouldn’t work. If a team has a player genuinely taken out by an opponent why should they be punished by having that man off the field for a few minutes.
Well if he is actually injured then he’ll need some time out to recover. Otherwise get up and get on with it.

I don’t think it’s a good idea though. Probably waste even more time with all the arguing and faffing round getting “injured” players off the pitch.

Dan_F

Well if you're not one for stopping the clock then those ten minutes that the player is sin binned for will be mostly taken up by his teammates rolling around on the floor and time wasting.
I’m not against that. You could at least stop the clock when the ball is out of play during those 10 minutes. Similar to rugby where the ref stops the clock when he feels time is being wasted near the end of half’s.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The most annoying thing for me is when you see an opposition player get annoyed at someone feigning an injury when they themselves have done so in the same game.

Like, mate, you spent 5 minutes on the ground being treated by a physio for a shirt pull ten minutes ago. You're as pathetic as him.

backpass

In every game in the world there are several aspects to be great.
No Champion will win if they are not at least decent in all aspects.

The dark arts are certainly powerful in football. It would be great if they were more limitations on it, but every one has the same possibilities, the winner is determand by the summ of all capabilities.

A master of the dark arts in midfield is certainly more worth than a fancy Thiago playing one good pass per game.

JeffFromHK

In every game in the world there are several aspects to be great.
No Champion will win if they are not at least decent in all aspects.

The dark arts are certainly powerful in football. It would be great if they were more limitations on it, but every one has the same possibilities, the winner is determand by the summ of all capabilities.

A master of the dark arts in midfield is certainly more worth than a fancy Thiago playing one good pass per game.

To be honest, we were very good at those dark arts ( Pressurizing the ref, technical fouls, time wasting, quick freekicks, sneaky corners and throw ins, etc) back in those Fergie days.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Follow the rugby method and have the clock stopped when the ball is out of play. Signal 45/90 with a buzzer and when the balls dead after that, it’s full time. Cuts this shit out instantly

Monkey bus

I’d let the game flow as normal until 80 mins then use a stop clock for the last 10 mins. If players knew that the ball had to be in play for the entire last 10 in would make it far more exciting as teams slugged it out. It would also get rid of any acting or tardiness in taking goal kicks or set pieces as the last 10 mins are happening anyway, even if it takes 30 mins. Then you’d add any injury time on at the end as normal for the previous 80 mins.

That would be easy to introduce wouldn’t it?

Mindhunter

The only way to stop time wasting would be an American Football style clock. Overnight it would stop feigning injuries, slow throw ins and goal kicks, slow substitutions, no injury time and all the dark arts to waste time.
The problem is the change would be too great for football to accept. Surprised though it has never been trialed at the lower leagues.
That would switch one problem for another, albeit a long-term one. American sports do it because they cater primarily to TV watching audiences. If we start stopping the clock for injuries, soon administrators of the game will bring in time-outs and breaks to show TV commercials in (like NFL). That in my opinion would change the DNA of football beyond recognition.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Your players are the whingiest bunch of crybabies in the Premier League at the moment :lol:

It's hilarious that this thread exists when Bruno (who does it most if not every game) and Dalot threw themselves to the ground pretending to be injured after losing possession in the game the other night.

Do you only find the feigning of injuries distasteful when it's for time wasting purposes?
I’m glad someone said this! Bruno used every trick in the book to his advantage, including wasting time, exaggerating injuries. He’s not the only one, just the most obvious, and yet if you look through the hundred odd pages on the Bruno thread I doubt you’ll even see it mentioned.

Reminds me of a young Mauricio Taricco at Ipswich. We all knew he’d do anything to win, including conning the ref, but we overlooked it because he was one of us, and because it worked.

Womp

idiot
I really don't understand why the game just isn't stopped whenever there are stoppages in the game instead of this nonsense outdated injury time system. It never accurately determines how much time has been wasted anyway. It's much simpler to just stop the clock and restart it whenever there is a stoppage in the game.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
30 minutes per half with a clock that stops when the ball is not in play is the obvious solution. That it hasn't happened is a joke.

arthurka

30 minutes per half with a clock that stops when the ball is not in play is the obvious solution. That it hasn't happened is a joke.
Or to have refs that actually could be proper and brave. It is unbelievable that refs haven't caught on to AM's act, it's nothing new really.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Or to have refs that actually could be proper and brave. It is unbelievable that refs haven't caught on to AM's act, it's nothing new really.
Even with a decent ref the issues are with the amount of time added on. First half is basically automatic 1 or 0 minutes and second half is basically 90% 3 or 4 minutes.

Remove the human element in timekeeping and time added on.

arthurka

Even with a decent ref the issues are with the amount of time added on. First half is basically automatic 1 or 0 minutes and second half is basically 90% 3 or 4 minutes.

Remove the human element in timekeeping and time added on.
Refs are allowed to add time for wasted time if this was done properly a couple of times against teams like AM they would stop this. They changed this in handball as when players lay on the ground for help they need to go off the pitch for a predefined time. But you are probably right, it might be easier to get a stop watch but as I said refs have couple of them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Clock stops when an injury, unless head injury or obvious broken leg, players leave the pitch, if they say cannot walk, stretcher takes them off. They must definitely make sure the clock is stopped. It will put a stop to it.

Zen86

Feigning injury is probably one of the worst things about professional football, but it certainly isn't a new thing. Doesn't help that this kind of gamesmanship, along with diving, is generally accepted as being 'clever' these days.

Flying high

I know gamesmanship is a big part of sport and winning but I think there's a line. Atletico and Simeone cross it too many times.
They aren't alone, even if they are the worst of the bigger clubs.

What I don't like, is the acceptance that it's all part of the game. It certainly shouldn't be.

Vernon Philander

I remember how happy Utd fans were when Ramos was doing it to Liverpool in the 2018 Champions League Final.

Hurts, doesn't it?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As soon as they went a goal up it just became like an episode of casualty. It was genuinely infuriating that the ref fell for it every time.

Devil77

There’s so many things that could be done to improve the game for spectators, but it’s been shown time and time again that they genuinely don’t give a shit about the fans. Instead, they will mess around with the wording of VAR, change what is offside or handball.

No one cares about that as long as refs try to apply it consistently. A week after the Spurs game and does anyone actually care about the Telles/Dier thing? Even if we’d have drawn I can’t say I’d have thought about it past the next game.

One easy change to make football more enjoyable. Stopping a counter attack on purpose is an orange card. 10 minutes sin bin. The current rules are far too weighted in favour of teams playing a high press and were never invented for that type of football.

Someone try and convince me that’s a bad idea?
It's a great idea! Combine that with stopping the clock when the ball is out of play and football will be a lot funnier to watch.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It obviously didn't apply to us because, during the final 10 mins, there was a play where they were on the attack and Dalot was down out. Ref watched him and carried on.

big rons sovereign

A decent referee would've helped, but that one clearly came to the ground on Madrid's bus. Y only real shock from the game was that it wasn't him at the back post burying that header for them.

There needs to be a proper clock that stops when the ball is out of play, or at least when its out of play for more than a few seconds. It's always been a thing but some teams have started using it as an actual tactic now, and it's a tactic used by certain teams that add little to the game. In fact it's designed to break up and ruin the game. You don't see the best teams doing it, they're too busy controlling the game and trying to score goals.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If the player does not get up and continue within 10 seconds, he has to leave the pitch and only be allowed back on after 30 seconds or when the medical doctor (for those that actually require treatment) gives the go ahead, whichever earlier.

Maybe also if they have had treatment on the field, they will need to stay out for the length of their treatment to prevent abusing this as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
This thread comes up every year in a different guise.

Football should obviously trial 60 minutes games with the clock stopping every time the ball goes dead. See how it works at the very least.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I read years ago on average the ball is in play for an average of 60 minutes in a 90 minute match. 2/3.

11 out of 30 minutes is around 1/3. Incredible.
Sometimes even less than that....can be as low as 55 minutes for games like Everton-Newcastle last night.