Fellaini | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG1010

Use him as a super sub striker to replace the tiring rashford. I'm sure his first touch and hold up play is better than Lukaku

I really want everyone to do better with OGS in charge
Is that you, Louis?

stevoc

Pochettino who is considered as the best manager in the world according to CAF has proven that He would use a Spanish Fellaini when chasing the game and He almost succeed. Our Fellaini is better player than their big lump. My point is Poch who is a top manager consider hoofing as an option so i think any other manager would think the same.
Most managers think the same, it's called a last roll of the dice in dire circumstances for 5-10 minutes. But all to often over the last few years it's been a tactic we've used way too much especially under Mourinho.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Use him as a super sub striker to replace the tiring rashford. I'm sure his first touch and hold up play is better than Lukaku

I really want everyone to do better with OGS in charge

For that to work he would actually have to score goals, cause problems, assist in goals when he comes on.

And he doesnt.

He comes on does nothing, and the match ends.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Most managers think the same, it's called a last roll of the dice in dire circumstances for 5-10 minutes. But all to often over the last few years it's been a tactic we've used way too much especially under Mourinho.
Moreover, even if Llorente is currently washed up, he was a decent goalscorer at one point in his career and he is striker. Poch using has very little to do with how Mourinho loved using Fellaini

Foxbatt

I hope that he does not come back and haunt us. These things have a habit of biting back. As someone else said last few minutes and he comes in. For sure our current CBs cannot handle him in the air. Even Juventus could not handle him and it was due to him that we won in Torino.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need to give some context to the argument. First of all none of our managers really rated him. Moyes bought him in the last minute of deadline day after spending the entire.summer pursuing other options. Lvg placed him in the transfer market but no one wanted him only to utilise him when it became evident that no one can thrive in the EPL with a tiny squad. Mou utilised him as a sub giving him minutes of play.

Secondly this idea of him being a plan B is silly. You don't need someone with zero intelligence, zero technique and zero movement to be a threat in air. Ibra, Teddy, RVN and Hughes can testify to that.

Ultimately i understand why ole want him out. Football is all quick movement, techniqe and intelligence these days and Fellaini lack in allvof that

Kostov

Most of the posts here are doing just that. You won't see many posts that are unduely slating or hating on him for that matter.
They do? Since he scored that goal to guarantee us CL football for the spring he has played a total of 274 minutes. It's nothing related to performances, it's just pathetic.

And you want to tell me his performances warrant this kind of treatment? Please, that's rubbish.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I have no problem with him leaving, if the ones calling the shots think we don't need him fair enough. But some of our fans are embarrassing.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We need to give some context to the argument. First of all none of our managers really rated him. Moyes bought him in the last minute of deadline day after spending the entire.summer pursuing other options. Lvg placed him in the transfer market but no one wanted him only to utilise him when it became evident that no one can thrive in the EPL with a tiny squad. Mou utilised him as a sub giving him minutes of play.

Secondly this idea of him being a plan B is silly. You don't need someone with zero intelligence, zero technique and zero movement to be a threat in air. Ibra, Teddy, RVN and Hughes can testify to that.

Ultimately i understand why ole want him out. Football is all quick movement, techniqe and intelligence these days and Fellaini lack in allvof that
Roflmfao

Kazi

crossy1686

career ending
Imagine loving a Manchester United player.
Yeah but he's not though is he? He's an Everton player masquerading as a United player. He's only survived this long because he's done whatever the incoming managers have asked him to, Solskjaer obviously see's through that.

crossy1686

career ending
We've got Smalling for that. Lost count of the number of times we sent him up top and played a long ball under Fergie. Whats more, Smalling also has a purpose when he's on the field before we get desperate.

ArjenIsM3

Its the truth.
Moyes bought him, so obviously he did rate him. The fact that he wasn't first choice doesn't change that one bit. I rate Martial but I'd take Neymar or Mbappe over him in a heartbeat. Mourinho rated him too, he's not made a secret of it either. He fought for that new Fellaini contract.

crossy1686

career ending
Moyes bought him, so obviously he did rate him. The fact that he wasn't first choice doesn't change that one bit. I rate Martial but I'd take Neymar or Mbappe over him in a heartbeat. Mourinho rated him too, he's not made a secret of it either. He fought for that new Fellaini contract.
I see the point you're trying to make but you're supporting some very unpopular people who either had an agenda or simply didn't know what they were doing.

devilish

Moyes bought him as a last resort after failing to get Fabregas in. In fact we signed him in the last minutes of deadline day at a fee which was way higher then if we signed him a month before (Fellaini had a minimum fee clause that expired). Mourinho only used him as a sub at the dying minutes of the game. If he rated so much then he would given him more game time. Sure, Mou fought to keep him. However I suspect that's more about the fact that Fellaini was one of the few players who didn't turned against the manager rather because of his skills. As Mou would repeat time and time again attitude trumps flair and talent for him.

Fellaini can be our Supersub, not a starter. I think Ole of all people would appreciate the utility of that role.
Pretty much this. He's a great option to have if we're chasing games and getting outplayed. That should only be a handful of games a season though, so is he going to be content with 10 sub appearances a year? Doubtful.

devilish

I see the point you're trying to make but you're supporting some very unpopular people who either had an agenda or simply didn't know what they were doing.
These days my support is limited to discuss football here and watch games on the telly. When you have a child you'll learn that there's more to life then Manchester United. Anyway, I don't have an agenda against anyone really. I speak up my mind based on decades of following football in different leagues and under some of the most difficult managers around.

As said Fellaini wasn't wanted by Moyes. He was signed when it became evident that it was either him or no one. In my opinion, he stayed mainly because he stuck to managers at a time when they lost the dressing room. Loyalty is indeed rewarded especially when its in short supply.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Its the truth.
"You can't handle the truth"

David Moyes signed him twice so i'm guessing he rated him, and LvG started him in the FA Cup Final(ahead of Lingard, Schneiderlin and Herrera), and Jose started him in the Europa League Final(ahead of Carrick, Rooney, Lingard and TFM).

Now there's always the possibility that LvG and Jose started Fellaini over more suitable players(see brackets) in the Finals just for the hell of it, or maybe they had placed large bets on him being in the starting XI and had an unfair advantage, or maybe just maybe they like Moyes they actual rate(d) him.

devilish

Pretty much this. He's a great option to have if we're chasing games and getting outplayed. That should only be a handful of games a season though, so is he going to be content with 10 sub appearances a year? Doubtful.
Can you please remind me of his equivalent under SAF?

devilish

"You can't handle the truth"

David Moyes signed him twice so i'm guessing he rated him, and LvG started him in the FA Cup Final(ahead of Lingard, Schneiderlin and Herrera), and Jose started him in the Europa League Final(ahead of Carrick, Rooney, Lingard and TFM).

Now there's always the possibility that LvG and Jose started Fellaini over more suitable players(see brackets) in the Finals just for the hell of it, or maybe they had placed large bets on him being in the starting XI and had an unfair advantage, or maybe just maybe they like Moyes they actual rate(d) him.
A- At Everton he was a coup. At United he was a signing made in the last minute of deadline day at a fee which was significantly higher to the one we could pay if we signed him a month before.
B- As said he stayed mainly because he stuck to managers at a time when they lost the dressing room. Loyalty is indeed rewarded especially when its in short supply.

Mcking

They do? Since he scored that goal to guarantee us CL football for the spring he has played a total of 274 minutes. It's nothing related to performances, it's just pathetic.

And you want to tell me his performances warrant this kind of treatment? Please, that's rubbish.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I have no problem with him leaving, if the ones calling the shots think we don't need him fair enough. But some of our fans are embarrassing.
Most of the posts in this thread are quite similar to your posts in Jesse Lingard's thread. It is amazing how you take with both hands every chance you get to shit on Lingard, consistently telling us how he is an average and nothing player, whilst accusing others of having low standards. But here you are, defending Fellaini, accusing others of hating on him and lauding him for being committed and doing a job. Ironical really.

devilish

Fellaini can be our Supersub, not a starter. I think Ole of all people would appreciate the utility of that role.
Ole was one of the best finishers in his generation. His intelligence off the pitch allowed him to analyse the game and be devastating once he comes in. Seriously, the gap in terms of talent, intelligence and utility between Ole and Fellaini is too huge to even discuss it.

crossy1686

career ending
These days my support is limited to discuss football here and watch games on the telly. When you have a child you'll learn that there's more to life then Manchester United. Anyway, I don't have an agenda against anyone really. I speak up my mind based on decades of following football in different leagues and under some of the most difficult managers around.

As said Fellaini wasn't wanted by Moyes. He was signed when it became evident that it was either him or no one. In my opinion, he stayed mainly because he stuck to managers at a time when they lost the dressing room. Loyalty is indeed rewarded especially when its in short supply.
Wasn't referring to you, person with an agenda (Mourinho), person who doesn't know what they're doing (Moyes). Agree with everything you said!

Can you please remind me of his equivalent under SAF?
Ole? Despite the nickname he actually played a lot of games for us, over 30 games a season multiple times. Anyway, just because Ole was happy with that role doesn't mean many others would be.

devilish

Maybe there is something in group dynamics that makes Fellaini persona non grata any more. Maybe he was Mou's trusted man who would pass sensitive information to JM.
I doubt it. Fellaini's attitude is top notch. He stuck to Moyes/LVG/Mou at a time very few people did. The problem is not his attitude but his characteristics. He lacks movement, talent and intelligence to play at a top side. Hence why at age 31 he's yet to play for a club who doesn't struggle to make it to top 4. There's nothing wrong with that. For every Messi there are 10s of Reo-Cokers.

saivet

I'd probably keep him until the end of the season. If we're losing and desperate for a goal in the final 10, he's a decent option.

devilish

Ole? Despite the nickname he actually played a lot of games for us, over 30 games a season multiple times. Anyway, just because Ole was happy with that role doesn't mean many others would be.
Do you even remember Ole in his prime? He was 10 times the player Fellaini is and he was one of the best finishers in the EPL. Ole wasn't a reserve he was an option. Unlike our strikers Ole had the intelligence to study the game and exploit their weaknesses once coming in. That's why he ended up on the bench more then the rest. It also explains why he's managing Manchester United while Yorke is a pundit and Cole is a third rated coach.

I don't rate Fellaini as a player but I don't shy praising him when he's due. His attitude for example is top notch. I don't hate him either. There's nothing wrong in not being good enough to play for Manchester United. 99.9% of people are like that me included.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd probably keep him until the end of the season. If we're losing and desperate for a goal in the final 10, he's a decent option.
Doesn't make sense to sell players under a caretaker manager as I can't see us bringing anyone in this month unless some exceptional talent comes available. The only feasible answer is that Fellani and Rojo have been disruptive influences in the dressing room and the squad would be better without them around. Weakening the squad depth for any other reason doesn't make sense, we budgeted to pay their salaries for the entire season.

Kostov

Most of the posts in this thread are quite similar to your posts in Jesse Lingard's thread. It is amazing how you take with both hands every chance you get to shit on Lingard, consistently telling us how he is an average and nothing player, whilst accusing others of having low standards. But here you are, defending Fellaini, accusing others of hating on him and lauding him for being committed and doing a job. Ironical really.
It didn't take you too long did it? :lol:

Both Fellaini and Lingard are pretty average players in their own rights. Both have their uses and limitations. The real problem is we have fan boys like you going around getting offended by some other posters not rating them. My point here is nothing about low standards. I don't rate Fellaini as good enough either, nor someone we should have bought, I hope we sell him and bring a better player.

Red14Devil9

Fellaini is a good squad player. He is very useful, if we need a plan B in the match, so I hope that he won't be sold anytime soon.

UncleBob

Moyes bought him as a last resort after failing to get Fabregas in. In fact we signed him in the last minutes of deadline day at a fee which was way higher then if we signed him a month before (Fellaini had a minimum fee clause that expired). Mourinho only used him as a sub at the dying minutes of the game. If he rated so much then he would given him more game time. Sure, Mou fought to keep him. However I suspect that's more about the fact that Fellaini was one of the few players who didn't turned against the manager rather because of his skills. As Mou would repeat time and time again attitude trumps flair and talent for him.
According to Moyes he always wanted to bring him in, but he just didn't want Fellaini to be the first signing as it would send the wrong signals.

Sylar

Maybe but id still like to know how many times thats happened to back up this.
I really am a blur on Fellaini stuff cos I cant remember if its games hes come on at half time or started.

Like the winner vs Arsenal in the 2-1 win.
Im sure he was a nuisance as well in one game under LVG which lead to a Blind equaliser in a 2-2 game.
but then I think of him scoring vs City in a 4-2 win and against Celta Vigo and he started both those (both back post headers)

But more so, wanna know how many times hes had a positive impact in the last ten minutes to justify him being an alternative plan (i wouldnt want him as plan b, id hope we are smarter than that, and we use him as a plan c or d when nothing else works and long ball to the big man is the last resort).

Do you even remember Ole in his prime? He was 10 times the player Fellaini is and he was one of the best finishers in the EPL. Ole wasn't a reserve he was an option. Unlike our strikers Ole had the intelligence to study the game and exploit their weaknesses once coming in. That's why he ended up on the bench more then the rest. Which explains why he's managing Manchester United while Yorke is a pundit and Cole is a third rated coach.

I don't rate Fellaini as a player but I don't shy praising him when he's due. His attitude for example is top notch. I don't hate him either. There's nothing wrong in not being good enough to play for Manchester United. 99.9% of people are like that me included.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here? You asked who was the equivalent to Fellaini under SAF. I assumed you meant the idea of the supersub, which was Ole. Of course Ole was better than Fellaini, but it's not 1999 anymore. The whole team is a notch below. As long as we don't need the money (we don't) there's nothing wrong with keeping him as a sub option, if hes happy with it.

I remember Ole very well. As good as he was, the seasons where he was on the bench, it was because others were better off starting. In his early years Yorke and Cole were too good together, and then Van Nistelrooy arrived.

reddaz71

Wouldn't have Fellaini as a plan b, c, d or e. Never was a genuine Utd player, hopefully the club gets him off the payroll this month.

Mcking

It didn't take you too long did it? :lol:

Both Fellaini and Lingard are pretty average players in their own rights. Both have their uses and limitations. The real problem is we have fan boys like you going around getting offended by some other posters not rating them. My point here is nothing about low standards. I don't rate Fellaini as good enough either, nor someone we should have bought, I hope we sell him and bring a better player.
Ah now I have a fanboy tag.
According to you, it is pathetic that many people are hating on Fellaini and giving him unwarranted slating, but in reality, you have over one hundred posts in Jesse Lingard's thread that are quite similar to the ones here. It is fair to call out anyone that is being hypocritical imo.

devilish

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here? You asked who was the equivalent to Fellaini under SAF. I assumed you meant the idea of the supersub, which was Ole. Of course Ole was better than Fellaini, but it's not 1999 anymore. The whole team is a notch below. As long as we don't need the money (we don't) there's nothing wrong with keeping him as a sub option, if hes happy with it.

I remember Ole very well. As good as he was, the seasons where he was on the bench, it was because others were better off starting. In his early years Yorke and Cole were too good together, and then Van Nistelrooy arrived.
Name me one SAF had who had near zero movement, near zero technique and near zero football intelligence. A player whose only attributes were attitude and ability to make a nuisance of himself further up the pitch. Ole was far, far more then that. Regarding Ole had 366 appearances with United Which means more games then Cole (275), Yorke (96) and Van Nistelrooy (219). This gives you an idea of how much of a reserve he was.

I do agree that the whole team is a notch below to what is expected. Hence why I am surprised with people complaining with us getting rid of players who are clearly not good enough for Manchester United to make space for new players. I would be very surprised if Fellaini ends up at a top club after leaving United. He simply lack the talent to do so.

Pace Abuser

Moyes, LVG, and Jose rating him actually defeats the Fellaini argument. We have Smalling like City have Kompany, Chelsea have Luiz, and Liverpool have VVD for the plan B option. All of whom have uses outside of a plan B.

Someone wanted him at defence and there's been a comparison to Llorente, a class striker in his prime who's, well he's a striker, a goal scorer, fancy bringing him on to get a goal. Spurs still didn't "lump it", watch the game rather than making cliched associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.