Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You're not making sense here mate, i've said from the start and several times since that those are his goals/assists from being brought on to play as a target man/plan B in games United are chasing. So the stats are not discounting anything, i never said this is all his goals/assists from playing high up the pitch over his entire United career.

You need to think about what you have said and are saying. You can't start a game as a plan B, there may have been one or two but i cannot remember Mourinho or Van Gaal ever starting Fellaini as a target man. He's certainly never started a game basically sitting in the box like he he been used in games we are chasing.
Those stats does not state that he played further up the pitch as a target man. It only states he scored 1 goals in 5 years as a substitute. Most of Fellaini goals which is somewhere around 12 at United was mostly scored when he was pushed further up the pitch as a target man. When Fellaini is utilized this way as seen in the Arsenal game, he becomes more effective in his output. However, most of the time he is being asked to play as a defensive box to box midfielder where he does not become an effective plan B. It was not by coincidence that Mourinho put Fellaini on against Arsenal and he scored. It was because Mourinho understand Fellaini effectiveness in that role and also, great tactical awareness. This is one element that separate great managers from poor ones, and I do not expect most fans to understand this.

Also fyi, Fellaini may not as started many game as a target man, but players role can change throughout the game.

Having him as a plan B is holding the club back. Just get rid of the idea that we need a plan B and get players that fits plan A.

Our plan A is crap which is why we even need to resort to shit tactics to change our game up.
That is true. Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester City, and most top clubs really just try and perfect their plan A. However, having a player who can cause havoc from the bench and unsettle opposition defenders is strategically not a bad idea. I was against Fellaini signing from the start, but since he is here, we might aswell find a way to utilize him effectively.

Last edited:

stevoc

Those stats does not state that he played further up the pitch as a target man. It only states he scored 1 goals in 5 years as a substitute. Most of Fellaini goals which is somewhere around 12 at United was mostly scored when he was pushed further up the pitch as a target man. When Fellaini is utilized this way as seen in the Arsenal game, he becomes more effective in his output. However, most of the time he is being asked to play as a defensive box to box midfielder where he does not become an effective plan B. It was not by coincidence that Mourinho put Fellaini on against Arsenal and he scored. It was because Mourinho understand Fellaini effectiveness in that role and also, great tactical awareness. This is one element that separate great managers from poor ones, and I do not expect most fans to understand this.
If thats what you think the stat states, then as i suspected you don't seem to be reading my posts properly mate. Thats not what it tells us at all.

stevoc

Against Real Madrid in Super Cup, when we brought him in , they start panicking and we start dominating the game, we scored and continue to push on after his introduction, forcing Zidane to put in more defensive player . I don't like his delusional head ( asking for more wage when he is already 30 years old ) but the fact is he is very useful in lot of situation , He is nuisance in opponent box and no defender would like to play against him , His ability to bring down the ball from awkward height is second to none, his prowess beat most footballer, he is just not suitable as starter. Watch Belgium in World Cup and you will see why every coach he played with seems to rate him.
Ok great, but we still didn't win just like most other times we bring Fellaini on as a plan B to try to turn around a game we aren't winning.

I'm not saying introducing him into a game doesn't on occasion force the opposition to change tactics or personnel. I'm saying using Fellaini as a plan B isn't very effective, only very rarely using him in that role does he change the outcome of a game.

Dolf

Fellaini is bluffing. He’ll soon sign a new contract and accept the fact that he’s not as good as he thought.

poleglass red

Against Real Madrid in Super Cup, when we brought him in , they start panicking and we start dominating the game, we scored and continue to push on after his introduction, forcing Zidane to put in more defensive player . I don't like his delusional head ( asking for more wage when he is already 30 years old ) but the fact is he is very useful in lot of situation , He is nuisance in opponent box and no defender would like to play against him , His ability to bring down the ball from awkward height is second to none, his prowess beat most footballer, he is just not suitable as starter. Watch Belgium in World Cup and you will see why every coach he played with seems to rate him.
he won't be starting for Belgium.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I remember reading from one of the reliable Arsenal news outlets that we offered Fellaini 80k a week on a 1 year contract.

I don't think we care all that much about him, he's just a decent squad player approaching 30 and the contract reflects that.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If he’s got any sense he’ll sign a contract with a club before the world cup starts. You don’t want to be out of contract and pick up a long term injury during the tournament.
Or he can have a great tournament, find a better club than he would before the WC, and get a better contract.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My heart skips a beat anytime I see this thread bumped.
I'm half expecting him to sign a new contract on the 29th just to stick it to us.

Last edited:

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
He's got to be worth a strawberry cornetto, at the very least.

A remnant of Davey Mustard.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My heart skips a beat anytime I see this thread bumped.
I'm half expecting him to sign a new contract on the 29th just to stick it to us.
I fully expect him to re-sign for us.
Jose may as well be down on bended knee, begging Fellaini not to leave him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s potentially played a blinder for himself. He’s on the biggest stage now, and generally gets a fair look-in for Belgium. He’s available on a free, and if he impresses he’ll be a very attractive proposition for many.

That said, if he does his cruciate he’s fecked - although United will probably then offer him the contract he wants to make some sort of public ‘moral statement’.

Shaun Oldman

I fully expect him to re-sign for us.
Jose may as well be down on bended knee, begging Fellaini not to leave him.
Except for the fact that he's been offered 1 year, on the same terms (if the press are to be believed).

On bended knee is the Sanchez debacle, not Fellaini.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
No doubt a few of you are counting down.

Last edited:

Renegade

How long has he been stalling our offer? Is it normal for a club to just keep a offer on the table with no response for months with 2 weeks to go?

Andy_Cole

I hear he does want to leave mainly because we dislike him (fair enough!). Don’t think he will sign, wants to go to a club who respects him more.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
How long has he been stalling our offer? Is it normal for a club to just keep a offer on the table with no response for months with 2 weeks to go?
When it comes to Fellaini, our door will always be open.
As I said before, I fully expect him to re-sign. Jose will walk through burning coals to ensure that his favourite player remains.
It is worrying though. The last time I saw such faith in a player, was when LVG sold all our attackers, so that Rooney had no competition for his place (My captain shall always play!). Another striker would've scored far more goals and we'd have got top 4. That mistake cost LVG his job.

For the sake everybody, it's best if Fellaini left. Let Jose find an alternative, Plan B.

stevoc

When it comes to Fellaini, our door will always be open.
As I said before, I fully expect him to re-sign. Jose will walk through burning coals to ensure that his favourite player remains.
It is worrying though. The last time I saw such faith in a player, was when LVG sold all our attackers, so that Rooney had no competition for his place (My captain shall always play!). Another striker would've scored far more goals and we'd have got top 4. That mistake cost LVG his job.

For the sake everybody, it's best if Fellaini left. Let Jose find an alternative, Plan B.
Off topic but i don't think thats actually true, he signed Martial promoted Rashford and Rooney spent a few months at the end of the season playing in midfield. LVG was just really bad at squad management.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's on his way, gets his hairs stuck in the office's door and people behind him can't get out. There are 4 currently in queue, including the club's doctor, the canteen lady, Ed Woodward and his agent.

Champagne Football

He's probably praying Moyes gets another PL relegation strugglers job between now and end of Russia 2018 knowing that team would be built around him again.

clarkydaz

Off topic but i don't think thats actually true, he signed Martial promoted Rashford and Rooney spent a few months at the end of the season playing in midfield. LVG was just really bad at squad management.
Wasnt it Rashford promoted out of desperation with injuries? Then Rashford shown Rooney up as a striker, leading to his public claims now being a midifelder

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will likely have arranged a healthy signing on fee from someone, which is great.

There is no reason for him to stay from any side, he will be better off elsewhere as he will get a sigining on fee and play, and from our point of view we wont be paying a squad player who offers absolutely nothing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not long now, not long.
...for him to re-sign. :devil:

I can see that some fans are squirming and in great anguish that he still has time to re-sign with us.
I look at it more pragmatically. We need a Plan B and he is excellent at that. Jose just needs to resist starting him, though. The Arsenal game exemplifies this.
I still say that bringing on Fellaini and Martial on at the same time at around the 60th minute can unlock a stubborn defence. I witnessed this when we scored 3 goals in 10 minutes, after these 2 were introduced and it was like taking candy from a baby.
Rival defences don't know what to expect when you bring on 2 players who are complete opposites.
Fellaini is also a great option to have if we are losing a physical battle on the pitch.

Put it another way: I'd rather go into a tough game, knowing that he is on bench, than him not being available.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Rooney was playing as No.10. Martial up front. They were our 2 strikers.
Rooney was supposed to score the lions share of our goals, while Martial was supposed to learn his trade, chipping in with the odd goal here and there. As it happened, Martial had a great season, but LVG got lucky, here. Nobody expected Martial to do as well as he did.
Had LVG brought in a striker who could actually score goals, we'd have got 4th place (remember, we got 5th on goal difference..1 crucial goal would've seen us get 4th) and LVG would've got his 3rd year, with Giggs possibly taking over in the 4th year.
No CL, got Moyes the sack, with LVG as his replacement. No CL, got LVG the sack, with Jose as his replacement. CL football is the target set out by the board. Fail that and you are fired.

Anyway, back on topic....anyone know when Fellaini is due to re-sign? :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.