Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

See now you're just making things up, I didn't even know there was a cooking thread...

This place is full of opinions I don't agree with, but I don't jump on them telling them what I think like some sort of 'voice of people', just rise above 'rabid lunatics' like me, and ignore.
It's called a joke. There is no cooking thread that I am aware of. Should be obvious to anyone not looking for attention. Not sure I spoke on anyone else's behalf for you to use the "voice of the people" jibe.

It's not that I jump on every comment I disagree with (but you knew that already). It is just that your opinion and post was so pathetic that I chose to comment. Telling people "what I think" is kind of the point of a forum. Why don't you just admit that you don't want people to disagree with you rather than being hypocritical by playing the victim?

don't bother answering I know exactly why.

Oldyella

I'll be honest, I was hoping the big fella would be away and his wages freed up for an upgrade. Nothing against Fellaini; he's a player who never hides and who gives everything in every game, but I just don't think he has the ability we're looking for. Two more years leaves me feeling disappointed.
Just see it as a relatively big wage for someone who won't play that often and just get in the way of youngsters getting into the squad. We have a few squad players nowhere near quality needed but just hanging about. This was prime opportunity to move one on.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I mean the ones that didn't, yes.

I wouldn't expect United 2nd string/reserves to play in the CL knockouts either though, to be fair.
Oh right, so you're suggesting those that knew they would deffo play in the round of 16 injury permitting, weren't arsed and just went through the motions, even though they know, or should do by now that there was more chance of them picking up an injury and therefore missing the round of 16 match than if they'd gone at it full throttle, interesting, mmm

Just see it as a relatively big wage for someone who won't play that often and just get in the way of youngsters getting into the squad. We have a few squad players nowhere near quality needed but just hanging about. This was prime opportunity to move one on.
Yes, I agree with you. His new contract will cost a pretty penny.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Oh right, so you're suggesting those that knew they would deffo play in the round of 16 injury permitting, weren't arsed and just went through the motions, even though they know, or should do by now that there was more chance of them picking up an injury and therefore missing the round of 16 match than if they'd gone at it full throttle, interesting, mmm
I don't know what you're jibbering on about mate.

T_Model101

With all the talk about how ineffective Fellaini is as a plan b or c, can anyone mention another plan b or c squad player around who is consistently effective and changes games when he comes on?

fallengt

It's official. Fellaini sign contract with United and will stay at Old Trafford for two more seasons.

Announcement video

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Maybe an idea to revise it again then mate.

Well there's statistic websites, but short of using them maybe just go off memory mate. He's had 12 senior years of football 2006-2018. 5 of those have been at United and his last year at Everton, so that makes up half his career. If you are such a studious observer of Fellaini's career then you will know during those 6 years he's barely played as a DM. So it can't be anywhere near 70-90% of his career at DM.

Nope, more like 6 out of 12 seasons mate, and he wasn't moved further up the pitch by Moyes in late 2013 he played almost the entire season of 2012-13 as an attacking midfielder.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...12&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Again nope, he barely played deep for LVG.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...14&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...15&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

And not a lot under Moyes either.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...13&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

I'll leave it mate thanks.
You can mess about with stats till the Cows come home mate, but the website you obviously spend far too much time on lists Fellaini as a Central Midfielder, and not an Attacking Midfielder, funny that, maybe not

Anyhow you stick with your ¼% as a defensive midfielder and i'll stick with my twice revised 67%, and we'll let others be the judge of who is closest.

ps. Do us a favour, if you get a spare few minutes can you find out on your favourite website how many of his International appearances which for some strange reason you don't count were as a defensive midfielder as for some reason the filters aren't working for me, thanks in advance.

Until then next time ;)

dirkey

I don't agree. Fellaini is hard to deal with for opponents. He's fouled a lot of times but never given beacause he's a big fella and his reputation. I've always liked the big guy. I know he isn't world class but is excellent as squad player and has a great attitude. I just don't want to see the "plan B" option again...long balls to Fellaini and Lukaku. It never works. It's ok for me he stays as squad option and I really hope we'll invest the money for at least 1 great FB, a RW and maybe a CB. Our midfield (Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fred, Fellaini) isn't bad.
Just hit Google. Search fellaini elbow. And look at the number of images you'll see.

He's big and awkward. Sure I agree. But so are plenty other players in world football who don't go around regularly elbowing people.

settembrini

With all the talk about how ineffective Fellaini is as a plan b or c, can anyone mention another plan b or c squad player around who is consistently effective and changes games when he comes on?
No player does it amazingly consistently because anyone that good would end up starting every week. There are plenty who do it better than once every couple of years though. If we really want a good plan B to back up Lukaku then we should have bought Giroud in January. He saves his team from the bench far more often than Fellaini.

dirkey

I've said it before and I'll say it again, those people who are OK with this deal ,and talk about fellaini as a plan B are deluding themselves.

Just look at how much he played when available last year. Look at how often Jose name dropped him as someone really important who was missing when he was out.

He's going to play a lot more than a squad player role.

He's also going to take up a spot that could be given to a youngster with potential,on a far larger wage than someone of his ability should be commanding.
And then look at his style of play.

Every single thing about this is so wrong.

dirkey

What does this prove? I've never disagreed that others did it. I've never said keano wasn't filthy. I've never condoned that kind of thing from anyone. Even still, can you find as many incidents of Keane throwing elbow as fellaini? Doubt it.

But you know what you do illustrate? How far we've fallen. That used be the standard for a midfield player at Manchester United.
Now, it's fellaini

settembrini

I've said it before and I'll say it again, those people who are OK with this deal ,and talk about fellaini as a plan B are deluding themselves.

Just look at how much he played when available last year. Look at how often Jose name dropped him as someone really important who was missing when he was out.

He's also going to take up a spot that could be given to a youngster with potential,on a far larger wage than someone of his ability should be commanding.

Prepare to be told that the only alternative to caving to Fellaini's demands was to spend all our transfer budget on Arnautovic.

J_XO

Mourinho has always seen his desire to stay? He was running around Europe trying to go elsewhere for more money

gza the genius

Jose clearly likes Fellaini but I would assume at least some of that was said to try to get him to sign a new contract and stay. I don't mind that Fellaini is staying but I do hate that we essentially let him hold us ransom. As a squad option he's alright and like others are saying if it saves us from spending at the very least 30mil or so on another center mid and we can put that money towards a right winger/lb/cb then I can see why we did it.

I've never been a Fellaini fan and this has only soured how I feel about him even more but I can still see the logic in keeping him.

Ludens the Red

Disgraceful decision by manager and club. Maroune Fellaini has successfully held Manchester United to ransom.
I’m gonna go play in traffic now.....

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Happy to keep him. He's excellent as a plan B. Hopefully won't be a regular starter though.

L1nk

Held us to ransom, basically had digs at the club in media and was looking elsewhere for more money it seems, yet we give in, absolute farce and an extreme lack of ambition from the club and in particular Mourinho who made it his mission to beg him on the club's behalf to stay. There's genuinely no way any other top club would do this for a player like Fellaini, what is it with us and keeping players that just aren't very good or past their sell by date... Just really unreal

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Think this suggests we’re not going to be bringing in the amount of new players Jose had initially hoped for. Wouldn’t be surprised if don’t add any more guaranteed starters to our squad sadly.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's official. Fellaini sign contract with United and will stay at Old Trafford for two more seasons.
I for one am hugely disappointed that big lunk wasn't finally shipped off.
It's beyond my understanding how a player with such limited ability and contribution can get 7 years of his career spent at United.
Piss poor...!

All I can say is, the media had better be correct when saying that's a large chunk of the transfer budget that can now be spent in significantly improving other areas of the team.
If we go into the new season still failing to address the problem areas, and still persisting with the same tired ideas, well then I really don't have any optimism for the new season at all.

Crimson King

And here we go
I hope he option is with is...

I get it, budget and all that, but it will look hollow and like he's held the club to ransom if we don't see another couple of incoming transfers in key positions.

RepardReece

Disgraceful decision by manager and club. Maroune Fellaini has successfully held Manchester United to ransom.
I’m gonna go play in traffic now.....
Well said. I stop watching the games when he comes on because we start playing terribly. Another 2 years to go. :boring:

Status
Not open for further replies.