Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Still think he re-signs next week.
Would surprise me if he caved and signed a year extension after being quite hawkish recently. If no club comes in for him with what he wants, then I'd see him go to China for the money.

RoyTrenneman

Supports
River,MN UFC,BVB,FC Seoul
I don't know why he would resign, and I don't know why Man Utd would want to resign him. Does not seem to make sense for anyone involved.

PieCrust

In the end it's absolutely hilarious (or beyond sad) that a player like Fellaini is turning down a club like United and not the other way around. And I'm a guy that apprcieates what he brings to the table and offers the squad, while recognizing his obvious limitations as a footballer.

Nikelesh Reddy

Honestly I don’t care whether he stays or goes.If he stays fine,he can be a useful tool in our armoury...If he leaves then great,we can hopefully figure out a more progressive plan b...

RedCurry

Honestly I don’t care whether he stays or goes.If he stays fine,he can be a useful tool in our armoury...If he leaves then great,we can hopefully figure out a more progressive plan b...
Yeah. Fellaini as a plan B is no better than just throwing Smalling forward in last few minutes.

FerociousCorgis

along with the lack of true results from fellaini as the "plan b", there still is the fact that we will never know what having a more progressive "plan b" could have got us result wise. What if we had an actual top impact player who was actually pure offensively gifted we could have brought on and changed the game that way vs playing lump ball to fellaini?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd really like stats on this. A friend of mine is adamant he's an important option to have.
It'd be difficult to judge his influence by stats alone as it's not just the goals and assists( which I assume would be low) but rather the panic he causes in the opposition defense and also the ability to win the first ball in the air. It probably allows others to benefit from it more than he himself does.

But having said all that I've been counting down the days towards the end of this month and my heart fills with despair every time I see this thread bumped up, afraid that he's signed a contract with us. Just please let him go.

Rightly or wrongly he's been the symbol for what's happened to the club in the last 5 years and we really need to move on.

Maru229

It'd be difficult to judge his influence by stats alone as it's not just the goals and assists( which I assume would be low) but rather the panic he causes in the opposition defense and also the ability to win the first ball in the air. It probably allows others to benefit from it more than he himself does.

But having said all that I've been counting down the days towards the end of this month and my heart fills with despair every time I see this thread bumped up, afraid that he's signed a contract with us. Just please let him go.

Rightly or wrongly he's been the symbol for what's happened to the club in the last 5 years and we really need to move on.
This ++. Adding to it, he also causes panic within the team when he is in our penalty area as well.

Judas

Open to offers
Fellaini in himself isn't an awful player, it's what he represents in many ways, which is unfair to him. The ugly hoofball tactic effectively dies if he goes (unless we get a like for like replacement) thus of course people want him gone. That and he's a reminder of the Moyes era and that terrible period.

maniwin

it seems like no club want to pay his demand so he will be forced to renew with whatever we offer him with. Hopefully it's a reduced term and only play when someone else injured.

trafford1980

Fellaini in himself isn't an awful player, it's what he represents in many ways, which is unfair to him. The ugly hoofball tactic effectively dies if he goes (unless we get a like for like replacement) thus of course people want him gone. That and he's a reminder of the Moyes era and that terrible period.
Yup, totally agree with this. If Fellaini was running down his contract at a different club and Jose wanted to bring him in for free as a fifth/sixth choice midfielder then I'd probably be okay with it, but the fact that he was a Moyes implant who ignited a steaming turd of a half-decade for United just makes his possible resigning so hard to take.

kthanksbye

He has no ability to win the first ball, the ball lands on his head mostly due to his height and that fact that he elbows people. Even when the ball does land on him, he's got no accuracy to play a pass with it. Not sure where this myth of him winning first balls on a consistent basis comes from.
I'd like to see some numbers on aerial duels won and passes completed with his head, shots on target with his head too.

kthanksbye

Feel the same, almost symbolizes the beginning of our mediocrity.

JoaquinJoaquin

Why next week?
Just as Belgium have the big game against England this week and think he may get massacred in the Belgian media if he appears to be sidetracked in such a crucial week. Maybe a case he already signed and they announce it earlier though.

Greck

Fellaini aside we are still a bit thin in the middle. Having him bolster our numbers at least. He's good at defending a lead if he's not having a brainfart. Besides we bought him for 30m and he's ours. No need to just flog him off and spend another 40 for a backup midfielder.

Just pragmatism I guess. Having him is bette than not having him... for the time being
I rate Fellaini as a plan B but hate him starting European games. He was massive in the Euro cup but the trend of playing him in important European games seemed to carry over to the CL. Of all the games to use him as a plan A

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I don't get this plan A, plan B crap.

Before Sanchez signed we started with Rashford on the left, and brought Martial on the last 20, what plan was this? Plan A:v1? Then we rotated to Martial starting, and bringing Rashford on, plan A:v2?

So we sign Sanchez, rotate both Rashford and Martial, is this plan A:V3 or plan B, C or D?

Play Martial from the right, Sanchez from the left, plan, X, Y, Z.

Play Sanchez upfront, Lukaku from the right, Rashford/Martial from the left.

There is simply no way you can call Fellaini plan B, he's surplus to requirements. He's useless with anything but his chest, and he's taking up a wage where someone with actual talent can provide something remotely useful for us.

Soner he's gone, the better. Follow Januzaj out the door please.

Joshlee

will Fellaini post a video to announce his future?

feck, just leave

Morpheus 7

Saying in an interview a few hours ago
'You will know soon". Replying to if he will be at Old Trafford next season. Have a horrible feeling he will be getting a new contract with us. The treatment by the fans in the past has been unfair. I have changed my mind how he has handled this contract. He deserves no respect going forward. Hope he never played for the club again, any player that behaves like this publicly deserves criticism.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't get this plan A, plan B crap.

Before Sanchez signed we started with Rashford on the left, and brought Martial on the last 20, what plan was this? Plan A:v1? Then we rotated to Martial starting, and bringing Rashford on, plan A:v2?

So we sign Sanchez, rotate both Rashford and Martial, is this plan A:V3 or plan B, C or D?

Play Martial from the right, Sanchez from the left, plan, X, Y, Z.
'Plan A' to 'Plan B' doesn't just mean a tiny change of personnel. It generally refers to a fairly big change when 'Plan A' hasn't been working at all.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Sets a bit of a precedent if we cave too.

Have said many times, if he's only ever used as an auxillary striker and never gets near the middle of the pitch then keep him on a pay as you play basis.

But I never want to see his midfield 'performances' again, especially given we finally have some numbers in there (pogba, Herrera, matic, Fred, McT)

prath92

It’s fairly obvious we won’t cave in to his demands and he’d have to cave in to our demands if he is staying

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
'Plan A' to 'Plan B' doesn't just mean a tiny change of personnel. It generally refers to a fairly big change when 'Plan A' hasn't been working at all.
I don't dispute that. But from the hiding we were giving teams at the start of the season, to the mediocrity dished out at the "business end" of the season, for me, sits with cack, underperforming individuals, such as Fellaini. Teams sat so far back, we are having to resort to this so called "plan B" when we can offload him and his wages, then pull in a player who can actually play from the right-wing.

Hopefully, Fred can adjust quickly to help create those chances from midfield. For me, Fellaini shouldn't be an option.

We need quality, not some hit-and-hope nonsense.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't dispute that. But from the hiding we were giving teams at the start of the season, to the mediocrity dished out at the "business end" of the season, for me, sits with cack, underperforming individuals, such as Fellaini. Teams sat so far back, we are having to resort to this so called "plan B" when we can offload him and his wages, then pull in a player who can actually play from the right-wing.

Hopefully, Fred can adjust quickly to help create those chances from midfield. For me, Fellaini shouldn't be an option.

We need quality, not some hit-and-hope nonsense.
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Fellaini play more often in the earlier part of the season when we were playing well than he did in the second half of the season? He seemed to miss most of the mid-to-latter part of the season because of injury.

I'm not saying he was the cause of us playing well, but can't really blame him for the poor showing later on in the season if he barely played.

stevoc

Still think he re-signs next week.
I can't think of another time United have allowed a player to run down their contract and then re-sign after it had expired. I imagine if he was going to extend his United contact he would have done it already.

It looks to me like he wants to let it expire and then hope for a better offer from elsewhere after the World Cup.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I can't think of another time United have allowed a player to run down their contract and then re-sign after it had expired. I imagine if he was going to extend his United contact he would have done it already.

It looks to me like he wants to let it expire and then hope for a better offer from elsewhere after the World Cup.
Thank God it’s nearly over. An abomination of a United player and the emblem of our post-SAF problems.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't Fellaini play more often in the earlier part of the season when we were playing well than he did in the second half of the season? He seemed to miss most of the mid-to-latter part of the season because of injury.

I'm not saying he was the cause of us playing well, but can't really blame him for the poor showing later on in the season if he barely played.
Was mainly Pogba / Herrera / Matic

Mctominay was thrown in for a good few games too.

Until Herrera's dip in form and subsequent injury. That's when he started a few games, to my frustration. Everything else, cup games excluded, he was subbed on.

iirc.

Sp00ks11

City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG do they all need a lump it up top plan B option, no! So why an earth is a club of our stature resulting to Stoke football, its tiresome and embarrasing. Fed up that this is even a debate with a United fanbase, we really have fallen from the top table haven't we..

StonedhamsterZA

I always felt our plan B back in the day was bringing on a poacher like Ole, and drilling balls into the box.

This hit and hope tactic that occasionally works never filled me with a lot of confidence.

I'd be happy to have player that offered a plan B, but I really hope that player isn't the big Fella.

I always felt our plan B back in the day was bringing on a poacher like Ole, and drilling balls into the box.

This hit and hope tactic that occasionally works never filled me with a lot of confidence.

I'd be happy to have player that offered a plan B, but I really hope that player isn't the big Fella.
That's how I remember us playing - don't know when or why it changed.

Shark

@NotShark
That's how I remember us playing - don't know when or why it changed.
David Moyes. What’s almost more baffling is why this complete moron of a man’s tactics survived two new managers, and we’re only now at a point when Fellaini could be out the door.

Kaos

Resigning him and then offloading the likes of Martial and Mata would be such a Mourinho flex. Ugh.

JohnnyKills

City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG do they all need a lump it up top plan B option, no! So why an earth is a club of our stature resulting to Stoke football, its tiresome and embarrasing. Fed up that this is even a debate with a United fanbase, we really have fallen from the top table haven't we..
Completely agree with this. We shouldn't let our standards drop. He's not a United player and never will be.

AndyJ1985

This is the crux of it for me too. People constantly argue he's a useful option to have but it's not an option we should ever need. During Real Madrid's 3 CL wins when did they go to plan B and lump it to a lanky oaf? During City's record breaking title win when did they take off Aguero or Sane and bring on a lumbering clown? Never. So why the feck should we accept it. It's shit on a stick football for tinpot clubs.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not that long ago we could have J.Rodriguez for bag of chips but decided to drop interest and tolerate Fellaini for one more year.

This madness needs to end and hopefully it will very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.