Fellaini takes house off market

edgar allan

A few reasons for me - because there's a wage structure at the end of the day, so it could be inhibiting the ability to get better players (might not be an issue). Another reason is that it means players get stuck here instead of being moved on when they should be. And another is that it's us as fans who have to facilitate the ridiculousness, paying top whack to fund mediocrity.
We don't have a wage structure anymore, anything goes with wages at our club from now on.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
and yet people like you cant seem to understand if you are paying someone like fellaini 150k a week, that also isn't good financial sense. You free up those wages to go after different financial targets. Especially considering where fellaini SHOULD be in the pecking order. He sucks as a midfielder, and is only semi-useful (as the stats show he isnt even that good of a longball attacking option) as a further forward player. For midfield we should already be buying a top-ish player we can plug in and play centrally, so if we add that hypothetical guy to pogba and matic that gives us 3 there. Keep herrera as the 4th option, let mctominay play as the 5th CM guy, and why the hell would you want your 6th option CM making that high of wages? Talk about stupid financial sense. What long term planning do you have by keeping a player like fellaini for multiple years at those wages? If we add a younger less well known player for our 6th option CM, we could easily balance this out with sales from people like Pereira who are interested in more playing time than we prob will provide, as well as the lower weekly wage. Paying a guy half of fellaini's salary, plus the sale of AP would easily be the same financial burden, and might allow us to actually practice long term planning.
Ok. Let’s clear out some misunderstandings before we move on.

Marouane Fellaini is a squad player and according to reports he wants a two year contract if he’s going to sign a new deal. As a senior squad member he will probably land on a basic salary of 80-100k/week + incentives. Similar to Zlatans in his second year with us. Off course this is only speculation but from my understanding Woody isn’t a financial fool who throw out money like confetti, that’s why you can safely assume that 150k/w is widely of the mark.

Regarding financial sense you and I have different perspectives. According to reports we’re looking for one midfielder, two if Fellaini leaves, and one fullback. The rest is speculation. Maybe we buy two fullbacks, maybe we sell Martial or Mata and buy a right sided forward, maybe we sell Pogba, maybe we skint Levy, highly unlikely but anyway or maybe we just stick to the original plan set by Mourinho earlier this season. Nobody knows.

Let’s assume we sell Darmian and Blind. That’s about £25-35m. Based on this our transfer budget should be somewhere between £120-150m.

Any new top quality midfielder costs about £50-80m. Last season City paid £50m for Walker. If we believe this is the numbers we are talking about then two new starters, not young talent or unheard gems, we are talking about tailor made starters, then 75+50m isn’t a wild figure. Salary wise all them even out the players who leave I assume.

And now to the interesting part. Losing Fellaini mean that we need a second midfielder. Even if we only go for a young talent we talk about 35-60m. So losing Fellaini means that we probably have to buy a new squad player if our limits are £20-30m

So with a budget close to £120-150m, give and take, then keeping the Belgian tower makes sense. He’s settled in Manchester and in the squad. He has special skills that sometimes are useful. He will not complain if he sits on the bench. Sounds like a better short term plan to me. Don’t you agree?

extincti fugax hominum

Can any of you realistically imagine that something very long from Barcelona bench getting ready in the last minutes of the game to get on the end of a cross? Or from Real Madrid? Bayern Munich? You have to laugh even at the tought of that really :lol: But for some reason it's a reality for us. Our club must be the worst managed big club in the world aside from the financial aspect of the game. We are the richest club in the world and still begging Marouane Fellaini to stay. We are making a fool of ourselves with all the money we've got.

promisedlanchiao

Great news a player who plays for the shirt every time .All a fan can ask
This. And yet he is getting so much hate here despite working hard all the time and frequently getting crucial goals. Honestly, I think Fellaini is just as good as giroud in everything aside from dribbling, which in compensates for with his world class chest control. Yet when giroud comes on to save a game for our rivals, people shit themselves and when Fellaini comes on to do the same for us, people wet themselves and laugh at him.

Thankfully, the big man already knows and accepts that a lot of stick he gets is just down to his appearance, plain and simple. He is such a good squad option and plan b that we could definitely afford to pay the extra 10k per week for.

Also, Martial comparisons are for a different thread. For the record though just in case I gets bashed, I firmly believe that Martial must stay.

Just felt I had to defend the guy after reading all of the completely unfair and unnecessary abuse that he has been getting in this thread and other threads too, including the arsenal matchday thread in which game he won for us.

djembatheking

Ok. Let’s clear out some misunderstandings before we move on.

Marouane Fellaini is a squad player and according to reports he wants a two year contract if he’s going to sign a new deal. As a senior squad member he will probably land on a basic salary of 80-100k/week + incentives. Similar to Zlatans in his second year with us. Off course this is only speculation but from my understanding Woody isn’t a financial fool who throw out money like confetti, that’s why you can safely assume that 150k/w is widely of the mark.

Regarding financial sense you and I have different perspectives. According to reports we’re looking for one midfielder, two if Fellaini leaves, and one fullback. The rest is speculation. Maybe we buy two fullbacks, maybe we sell Martial or Mata and buy a right sided forward, maybe we sell Pogba, maybe we skint Levy, highly unlikely but anyway or maybe we just stick to the original plan set by Mourinho earlier this season. Nobody knows.

Let’s assume we sell Darmian and Blind. That’s about £25-35m. Based on this our transfer budget should be somewhere between £120-150m.

Any new top quality midfielder costs about £50-80m. Last season City paid £50m for Walker. If we believe this is the numbers we are talking about then two new starters, not young talent or unheard gems, we are talking about tailor made starters, then 75+50m isn’t a wild figure. Salary wise all them even out the players who leave I assume.

And now to the interesting part. Losing Fellaini mean that we need a second midfielder. Even if we only go for a young talent we talk about 35-60m. So losing Fellaini means that we probably have to buy a new squad player if our limits are £20-30m

So with a budget close to £120-150m, give and take, then keeping the Belgian tower makes sense. He’s settled in Manchester and in the squad. He has special skills that sometimes are useful. He will not complain if he sits on the bench. Sounds like a better short term plan to me. Don’t you agree?
I agree mate . I also think we should sell Martial as we have Sanchez , Rashford and Lingard that can play on the left and the money for Martial could be spent on a right sided wide player .

Sing you a song

If he has been given the contract he wanted it smacks of absolute desperation on our part or maybe we have realised that the targets we would want to replace him and Carrick are out of our reach or simply don’t want to play for us

djembatheking

Can any of you realistically imagine that something very long from Barcelona bench getting ready in the last minutes of the game to get on the end of a cross? Or from Real Madrid? Bayern Munich? You have to laugh even at the tought of that really :lol: But for some reason it's a reality for us. Our club must be the worst managed big club in the world aside from the financial aspect of the game. We are the richest club in the world and still begging Marouane Fellaini to stay. We are making a fool of ourselves with all the money we've got.
What makes you think we are begging him to stay ? He has been offered a contract and is no doubt weighing up his options as to whether it is the best decision for his future .

FerociousCorgis

I agree mate . I also think we should sell Martial as we have Sanchez , Rashford and Lingard that can play on the left and the money for Martial could be spent on a right sided wide player .
i disagree with both of you guys. No reason we can't use our scouting network and find an up and coming midfielder for 20 million-30 million. Which as i said, if we ended up selling pereira because he really doesnt want to be here and compete for limited minutes would be pretty much most of that. Funny how someone could get a future talent like pereira for peanuts yet for us we apparently would be unable to do that? I get that they aren't the same position exactly, but plenty of places to go get a player for a good price if we stay away from the older big name guys.

And all of this ignores if we end up selling martial as our RW more than likely comes at a cheaper rate than martials sale. For me it reeks of making excuses and saying oh we cant find a good player at a good price to replace an average at best player. I have faith in our scouting department to go out and find that up and coming midfielder. Which if is our 6th in line CM won't be playing a whole lot anyways.

Based Adnan

Settling for mediocrity, lovely. Can only hope that when Mou is gone, the new manager quickly sees how useless this clown is and sends him packing at the first opportunity.

fellaini's barber

Without him we are really hopeless when we chase games, if Jose is staying we might as well keep him so next season when we lose a game Mourinho doesn't come up in the post match screaming 'this is why I used to play Fellaini, but you all hated him because you wanted one of them more texhnical spanish midget midfielders, now look'

extincti fugax hominum

What makes you think we are begging him to stay ? He has been offered a contract and is no doubt weighing up his options as to whether it is the best decision for his future .
The fact that he refused to sign a new contract not once but twice and Jose still asking him to sign maybe? Especially when Jose's stance on players who wants out is clear : he doesn't persuade any player to stay, errrm except Marouane a very important player because another midfielder would cost 50m Fellaini.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...laini-contract-situation-at-manchester-united

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...hester-united-new-contract-marouane-fellaini/

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ews-Jose-Mourinho-Marouane-Fellaini-Luke-Shaw

And this actually reads as he thinks of the benefit of the player rather than the club :

José Mourinho says he has told Marouane Fellaini to “shut up” and accept Manchester United’s contract offer before the seriousness of the midfielder’s knee injury is diagnosed.

The manager was smiling as he recounted the conversation but behind his jokingly delivered line to Fellaini appeared to lie a serious point. Fellaini’s deal ends on 1 July and the 30-year-old wants a sizeable increase on a salary thought to be around £120,000 a week. He suffered a knee problem that limited him to seven minutes as a substitute in Wednesday’s 2-0 defeat away to Tottenham.

“I told him yesterday: ‘Sign the contract and shut up,’” said Mourinho. “I told him: ‘Don’t gamble too much. Sign the contract before you know the extent of the injury.’ It is not an ACL, a complete rupture of any structure of the knee. But we need him, the Champions League is arriving [on 21 February] and lots of tough matches to play and probably we are going to lose him for a few weeks. Two, three, four or five, I cannot say at the moment.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/02/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-title-city

After his second game in charge against Southampton he said :

Maybe a simple phone call can make a difference. A player that was feeling not loved, a player that during the season and specially when the market opened, everybody was saying he was leaving. Everybody was saying, writing that he was not a player for me. Everybody was saying he was a player on the move – maybe a simple phone call the day after my presentation as Man Utd manager change a lot, because I told him just simply – forget everything you read, forget everything. With me, you don’t leave for sure. Maybe that word of confidence – unexpected for him – because he was not expecting that, maybe changed. And then I think the more organized the team plays, the easier for the players to feel confident. So, he’s playing well. He played well with Carrick, he played well with Herrera, he played well with Paul, so he’s full of confidence. But, I have so many good players. I arrive in the dressing room after the match, and I was happy and then I become sad. Because I arrive there and all the other guys were there in their nice Paul Smith suits, but not the tracksuit. Not playing, or even being on the bench. So when I look to Carrick, Memphis, Jones, all these guys that I don’t select – I’m desperate for September. Because September, we have Capital Cup, Europa League, we have seven matches, and in September, they all play, and then I’m happy for them.

He dedicates the victory to Marouane Fellaini :lol:

Enough proof for you?

kidbob

Offer him 50k a week, tell him he is 4th choice at best. This is the level of player he is. If he's ok with that then he's grand to stay.

Marcky411

Excellent news. What a day it will be when he signs a new contract for united and we show the world our intent to win all the trophies next season and we sell martial.
Love the sarcasm. I am sure it will be a rainy day as the angels too will weep at the idea.

stevoc

Yet when giroud comes on to save a game for our rivals, people shit themselves and when Fellaini comes on to do the same for us, people wet themselves and laugh at him.

He is such a good squad option and plan b that we could definitely afford to pay the extra 10k per week for.
Do you know in how many games that we were losing/drawing that Fellaini has came on and rescued a result as a Plan B by scoring/assisting in his 5 years at the club?

stevoc

Without him we are really hopeless when we chase games, if Jose is staying we might as well keep him so next season when we lose a game Mourinho doesn't come up in the post match screaming 'this is why I used to play Fellaini, but you all hated him because you wanted one of them more texhnical spanish midget midfielders, now look'
Did he play in the recent comebacks against Palace, Chelsea, City and Spurs?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've had a season ticket for 5 years now. I've not had one without Fellaini being in the squad :lol:

At least Jose doesn't use him in a midfield 2 though!

What do we think he's on now? Absolute minimum of 50k a week? Even on that wage he's buying this mansion in 1 year! Just incredible.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I've had a season ticket for 5 years now. I've not had one without Fellaini being in the squad :lol:

At least Jose doesn't use him in a midfield 2 though!

What do we think he's on now? Absolute minimum of 50k a week? Even on that wage he's buying this mansion in 1 year! Just incredible.
£80k. Which is about £79k too much.

Castia

Sign Fellaini up whilst selling Martial....we got this :drool:

Fecking hell. Jose has no excuses not winning with this group when arguably the worst of the bunch gets a bumper 4 year deal.

Fellaini represents everything that’s wrong with United from being a Moyes signing to reminding me how shit our football is when he’s on the pitch, i generally can’t stand the guy in a red shirt.

mu4c_20le

You’re wasting your time my friend.

These young JCL posters don’t want to hear about financial sense, long term planning and other old fashion habits. No no no. Fresh and flashy is da shit.

Btw. Imagine if they started to support New England Patriots and heard about a gangly 40 year old QB and a Gronk with multiple injuries every season. Poor Belichick. Patience isn’t exactly trending on Twitter in this quarters.
What sort of financial sense, long term planning is it to offer a new contract to an aging, clumsy player with a limited skill set, rather than trying to replace him with someone younger with a higher ceiling.

I'm not even going to comment on your ridiculous analogy comparing Fellaini to Tom fecking Brady,.

Marcky411

I like the idea that the manager should walk, for extending a players contract, that was largely decent since said managers arrival. It's not a batshit insane way of thinking at all.

Additionally I'd like to remind everyone that Fellaini potentially extending and Martial potentially leaving are two completely unrelated events that just do not affect each other in any conceivable way.

I mean, I get it. Certain aspects of Mourinhos managing are just annoying and it will be just shit if we lose Martial this summer, but can we please stop acting like crazy people and end this website wide meltdown because a player might extend a contract?
Quite true but unfortunately Fellaini will also be letting himself in for some extreme contempt by the fans. As much as Fellaini stood for everything that was wrong with the Moyes era, by Jose giving him a new contract and the way he has gone about it, (trying to hold the club to ransom) every time he plays his performance will be put under a microscope and his failings will be Jose's failings. I don't get this deal either, of all the midfielder out there he could buy he wants Fellaini? This could be the turning point in Jose's career as manager at Utd.

Canagel

5 years and counting... before you know it he'll be eligible for a testmonial. To end with an amusing and motivational quote:

“When somebody tells you to give up on your dreams, just remind them that Fellaini has played one hundred matches for Manchester United. “

Classical Mechanic

I think for many of us when Fellani leaves it will the moment when we finally get to wash off the final bit of the stain that is David Moyes. It will be cathartic.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
But if rumours are to be believed he wants £200k a week and has rejected the clubs £140 per week offer.

That’s not the kind of wage you want to be paying a squad player and he certainly isn’t of the required standard to be a first team starter.

The guy has delusions of grandeur if he thinks that any club would pay him £200k a week.

He is worth what the market will pay him, end of. You have to factor in he there is no transfer fee as well. I really don't know why fans try and play CFO based on rumors. The club has a huge team of financial professionals that will weigh up every variable when drawing up contracts.

stevoc

Sadly I wasn’t really joking. I haven’t seen one good reason why Fellaini should stay other than what I listed above and in that case we could get someone to do the exact same things at a fraction of the cost.
If that is the main reason Mourinho wants to keep him then i agree. Fellaini is a good player when played between midfield and the striker and you play to his strengths. But i don't see United ever doing that, i think most people agree that he isn't a central midfielder, certainly not in a midfield two anyway. He's just not really suited to playing there and that will become even more apparent as he gets over 30.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I have no idea what the club is doing if this is true. He's lucky as f*ck to play for us, given his 'contribution' this season he should be paying us imho.

If his best use is in the last 10 minutes as a beanpole his wage should be commensurate.

tenpoless

Plot twist : Fellaini took his house off market... because He'd sold it to a "close relative"
Plot twistx2 : Tahith Chong bought a new house, The Mop Mansion

maniwin

I hope he stay , he is useful to unlock stubborn defence & by pass strong pressing team such as Barca.