Fellaini watch | Retires

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The defender who headed away every cross now plays for Brighton. I thought his career went to the non league for some reason

poleglass red

He was a very important player in our Europa League winning campaign. He totally fecked up Ajax's pressing by being a target man for us. Was he good enough, no, he wasn't, but he always tried and you have to respect him for that.
isn't that expected, not sure I would give kudos for trying, not to go all Keano, 'but thats his job"

ROFLUTION

:lol: I get that a lot. The username was supposed to be somewhat ironic since I'm a massive Cruyff and Sacchi fan, and not at all in favour of the old British air raid approach, however, I'm a lot more pragmatic than I used to be. If you're any one thing, you can be stopped easily, but if you're great at multiple approaches, you can leverage your squad to take advantage of games which don't play into your plan A.
I think that's why Pep crashes out of CL again and again. It's a certain one way of playing and you can set your team up against it sometimes. Fergie was the master of versatility.

Foxbatt

A man who played regularly for Belgium and scored over 18 goals from midfield is no mug.
The problem was Moyes didn't know how to use him and Ole sold him. He certainly is a better player than McFred.
He should have been our plan B but Jose made him his plan A.
When you get Fellaini up the pitch and put high balls in any defender would get nervous. I remember Juventus conceding an own goal because of Fellaini. Too much hatred for him from United fans. He didn't deserve it.

PieCrust

I always liked him when he was at Everton. Became much less of an admirer while he played for United. But ultimately, it's not his fault the way he was used, he's just a limited footballer in many respects and was never really suited for a big club imo.

Rodgerzzz

Good on him. He was never the type of player we needed at Utd, but he always put the work in and was trusted by multiple managers for ability to carry out a role. Looking at some of the chances we have strolling about now it makes you miss someone like Fellaini which is really saying something... However, I think he made the most of his career as a footballer and can rightly be very proud of what he achieved. Wish him well for whatever comes next.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good for him, he's had an excellent career. Thank feck he doesn't play for us any more though, Moyes was such a fecking loser. Fellaini probably at his best under Van Gaal for us but also did ok for Mourinho, got some unfair stick but also never the type of player who should have been playing for us in the first place.

jeepers

Feck Moyes

This pass and chest control will always pop up in my head when Fellaini is mentioned

iHicksy

I seem to recall even under Fergie, Fellaini giving us all sorts of trouble playing for Everton (i believe as a ten) to the point where physically he was almost unplayable but without the rest of the all round game to make the step up in that role - and hence dropped into a DM position for us.

I see shades of Fellaini in McT (Felliani being more effective). Both do one thing very well and their physical traits lend themselves well to that one thing, which is a blunt object for scoring goals. The issue is the only position on a football pitch suited to that skill set is DM/CM. Yet neither is technically good enough to play the role, they both look better in a more attacking role behind the striker - but again, neither have the all around game play to play that role for the overall playstyle and build up that top teams need or aspire to have. Thus, they can only be used in a super sub manner when you're chasing a game, or need to shithouse a win.

Oldyella

Good for him, he's had an excellent career. Thank feck he doesn't play for us any more though, Moyes was such a fecking loser. Fellaini probably at his best under Van Gaal for us but also did ok for Mourinho, got some unfair stick but also never the type of player who should have been playing for us in the first place.
Just sums up Moyes era. Buys a player he got great use out of further forward and plays him deeper.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just sums up Moyes era. Buys a player he got great use out of further forward and plays him deeper.
I'll never forgive Moyes, there's just something so pathetic about him.

Red Royal

Fair play to him, never near the elite level footballers but he tried his best and made a decent career for himself. Wish him well in retirement!

Anustart89

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Rest that chest in piece, Fellaini! I'll remember him for his dominance in that LvG spell where we looked amazing against the rest of the top 4.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Crazy that he was with us for 5 and half years.

Abizzz

One of those players that should have never been bought but at least he tried, can't be said of all of them. Hope he has a happy life in retirement.

Idxomer

In the context of United transfers post-Fergie, he was a good signing.

BarstoolProphet

I seem to recall even under Fergie, Fellaini giving us all sorts of trouble playing for Everton (i believe as a ten) to the point where physically he was almost unplayable but without the rest of the all round game to make the step up in that role - and hence dropped into a DM position for us.

I see shades of Fellaini in McT (Felliani being more effective). Both do one thing very well and their physical traits lend themselves well to that one thing, which is a blunt object for scoring goals. The issue is the only position on a football pitch suited to that skill set is DM/CM. Yet neither is technically good enough to play the role, they both look better in a more attacking role behind the striker - but again, neither have the all around game play to play that role for the overall playstyle and build up that top teams need or aspire to have. Thus, they can only be used in a super sub manner when you're chasing a game, or need to shithouse a win.
The 4-4 and RvP's debut in Sir Alex' last season he was a nightmare against us.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How does it work that the football gods decreed he'd have the chest control of Ronaldinho, the elbows of Sagat and the feet of low to middling PL player?

How do you even find out you can do that with your chest whilst the rest of what you do is totally average?

I hope one day he does a Jordan-esque, one time sit down to lay everything bare.