Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Fellani is a very good player, good all round midfielder, .
Hopefully Pogba can develop into a similar type of midfielder, but better.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've wanted him here for the past few years. He has a wonderful presence on the pitch and can control a midfield defensively as well as spray the ball as well as Carrick.

The ONLY way we get him is if Fletcher retires. They are too similar.
What claptrap

Marcus

This guy is exactly what we need. All action, goal-scoring, slightly mad midefielder. Add to that a dominant physical presence.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This guy is exactly what we need. All action, goal-scoring, slightly mad midefielder. Add to that a dominant physical presence.
How exactly is scoring 4 goals in the last two seasons in the league contribute to a goal scoring midfielder?

phelans shorts

I really like Fellaini, and was pushing us signing him to some friends before the Everton game, he's hardly a goalscorer though, and he gets bookings for ridiculously innocuous things due to his excessive height.

VivaRonaldo7

Think he would be good for us.

We need a monster really ie Tiote.

NDJ at City is hardly amazing but he's the option at DM we need one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just leaving this here for the people who doubt him ;

–Marouane Fellaini won more tackles, ground duels, aerial duels and made more passes than anyone else at the club.

–Marouane Fellaini was also second in the league with 84 tackles, and won the ball 190 times in midfield, by far the most in the top flight.

Although, as everyone knows he has his downside which is the fouling and bookings.

88 – Only Grant Holt conceded more fouls (89) than Marouane Fellaini in the Premier League this season.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I'd definitely have him. He isn't the flashiest, but i like his determination. I was really impressed with him at OT, and not just because he had a decent overall game. It was his unwillingness to give up at 4-2 down with 7/8 mins left. He was running his bollocks off, closing players down and trying to make a difference.

That's what a team needs when the chips are down, someone to set the tone and rally the troops. With Vidic out so long, we have sorely lacked that at times this year.

Realistically though, Everton paid what, £17m or something for him? So i cannot see us getting him for less than £25m, which would be an unlikely scenario to say the least! :D

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I always liked Fellaini, I think he would have looked an even better player if he had been at one of the bigger teams surrounded by better players. Wish we had bought him a couple of years ago.

Brophs

The One and Only
If fairness, most of the doubts people have about him aren't based on his ability to be destructive when the other side have the ball. It's the other side of his game that can be lacking at times (though not on one very obvious and painful occasion).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If fairness, most of the doubts people have about him aren't based on his ability to be destructive when the other side have the ball. It's the other side of his game that can be lacking at times (though not on one very obvious and painful occasion).
When Gibson came in he suddenly had the freedom to be more attacking and "creative" and really came upon leaps and bounds in that aspect. If you watched highlights you'd think he was playing off Jelavic but he was just everywhere on the pitch.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'd definitely have him. He isn't the flashiest, but i like his determination. I was really impressed with him at OT, and not just because he had a decent overall game. It was his unwillingness to give up at 4-2 down with 7/8 mins left. He was running his bollocks off, closing players down and trying to make a difference.

That's what a team needs when the chips are down, someone to set the tone and rally the troops. With Vidic out so long, we have sorely lacked that at times this year.

Realistically though, Everton paid what, £17m or something for him? So i cannot see us getting him for less than £25m, which would be an unlikely scenario to say the least! :D
Yeah pretty much this.

Those stats are a bit wierd, why is he getting tackled/dispossessed so much if he is such a good ball winner? I know he runs with the ball at times, but I'm still surprised how much he loses it.

Would love him at United though, he would add some aggression to the midfield and with Carrick sitting behind dictating the play, I think the combination would work very well. He's one of the only players in the league who could match up to Yaya physically as well, the way he was running through our defence wouldn't have happened nearly as easily with Fellaini playing instead of Scholes or Park.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Sign him and then hazard will follow as his translator.

Fellaini must be the only Belgian ever unable to speak English.

But a relly good player and a realistic signing.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Look how many times he lost possession compared to Gibson. That's poor.
That is a particular strength of Gibson's game though Pogue.

Fellaini is not renowned for his passing, although i don't recall him being that bad, personally. I think it's fair to say his main strengths lie in other areas. So it is a little unreliable to judge him on one of his weaker areas, against one of Gibson's strongest.

We would want him for his tackling capabilities and his physical presence, more than his passing ability. I doubt he would play the same type of all round role for us, that he does for Everton.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That is a particular strength of Gibson's game though Pogue.

Fellaini is not renowned for his passing, although i don't recall him being that bad, personally. I think it's fair to say his main strengths lie in other areas. So it is a little unreliable to judge him on one of his weaker areas, against one of Gibson's strongest.

We would want him for his tackling capabilities and his physical presence, more than his passing ability. I doubt he would play the same type of all round role for us, that he does for Everton.
Tbh Fellini has had some high passing stats this season. I'm sure he had a few games where it was 89% and that was only bettered in our side by Pienaar who had a completion rate in a game of 90% so he's improved greatly there too.

Id wager the fact that he is dispossessed so highly is that because he is tackling players there are times when they can manage to nick the ball back immediately after if you are tussling for it. Plus if he has dispossessed someone loosely and he has a heavy first touch because of it he will be more easily dispossessed. So his weakness lies in his greatest strength.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The stats need to be in context of the players role in the team. If Fellaini is plying a lot in the final 1/3rd you would expect him to have stats showing him to lose the ball more. All the players in the final attacking third tend to have poorer possession stats than in other parts of the pitch. I have no idea if thats the case with Fellaini, he might be spending more time in that final third but he also might simply give the ball away more generally.
Yeah pretty much this.

Those stats are a bit wierd, why is he getting tackled/dispossessed so much if he is such a good ball winner? I know he runs with the ball at times, but I'm still surprised how much he loses it.

Would love him at United though, he would add some aggression to the midfield and with Carrick sitting behind dictating the play, I think the combination would work very well. He's one of the only players in the league who could match up to Yaya physically as well, the way he was running through our defence wouldn't have happened nearly as easily with Fellaini playing instead of Scholes or Park.

Edmeiste

Tbh Fellini has had some high passing stats this season. I'm sure he had a few games where it was 89% and that was only bettered in our side by Pienaar who had a completion rate in a game of 90% so he's improved greatly there too.

Id wager the fact that he is dispossessed so highly is that because he is tackling players there are times when they can manage to nick the ball back immediately after if you are tussling for it. Plus if he has dispossessed someone loosely and he has a heavy first touch because of it he will be more easily dispossessed. So his weakness lies in his greatest strength.
So we should sign him?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You have been crying out for a player that can hurt the teams who keep the ball a lot, and I think he is the player for that. Plus he is proven in the PL already do there is no worry about that. I think only the price would put you off.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Would Everton sell to Liverpool? Seems about his level.
What makes you think that? Is he any worse than Fletcher technically? I wouldn't think so, and we would be using him to do many of the things Fletcher did for us. Energy, determination, tackling. Basically a physically imposing presence in the middle of the pitch.

In a better team Fellaini would be able to fulfill a more specific role, that would better utilise his strengths. Atm he has to weigh in all over midfield for Everton as they need him to do that. We wouldn't, we would need him to protect the back 4 and win back the ball, before giving it to someone better in possession than he is.

I think he would be fantastic for us in that role, dominating the centre, and thus allowing the likes of Scholes and Carrick room to make the play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

:lol: Talk about clutching at straws!

I think the reason he gets dispossessed so often is much more likely to be because he dwells on the ball a bit too long than him somehow being much more likely than anyone else to lose the ball immediately after making a tackle.

As for him making more tackles/winning more "duels" than anyone else at Everton. So what? Look what he's up against. Who else would you expect to win more? He's also played over twice as many games as anyone else on that list bar Osman and Cahill, neither of whom would be expected to spend a lot of time defending.

If we look at the creative side of his game Pienaar has more goals and assists, despite playing less than half as many games. The same Pienaar who couldn't even get his game at Spurs.

Sorry but those stats really aren't very impressive. I thought Fellaini was immense against us and he as that Andy Carroll thing of being so much bigger stronger than most players when he's on top of his game he can bully the opposition. However, he also has that Andy Carroll thing of looking ponderous, clumsy and uncoordinated when he's not on top of his game. He also seems slow across the ground and doesn't work very hard from what I've seen. Would need to up his game considerably to play regularly at a CL club.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Don't see the point. We'd surely be able to pick up anothet combative midfielder from elsewhere around Europe for a fraction of what he'd cost. He's bang average on the ball and within a few months people on here would be criticising him for it.

I just don't see it.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Pogue Mahone; said:
Sorry but those stats really aren't very impressive. I thought Fellaini was immense against us and he as that Andy Carroll thing of being so much bigger stronger than most players when he's on top of his game he can bully the opposition. However, he also has that Andy Carroll thing of looking ponderous, clumsy and uncoordinated when he's not on top of his game. He also seems slow across the ground and doesn't work very hard from what I've seen. Would need to up his game considerably to play regularly at a CL club.
Sounds a fair description of Carrick when he is not at the top of his game tbf Pogue. Many faults can be found with almost any player who is not at his best.

You seem to have a thing for stats, while ignoring what you see with your own eyes. You know that his strengths are defensive, and he is very effective at it too. He has given us and other top teams a very tough test in past games, proving he is more than capable of holding his own at least against the bigger players, and surely that's to his credit.

Like i say i see little difference between what Fletcher does for us and what Fellaini would do. Many parts of their games are similar, only Fellaini imo is a more naturally defensive player than Fletch, and more physically imposing.

Out of interest how would you rate Fletcher's game when he is not at his best? Is he really that great when not on top of his game? I would say not, but you don't have to be great to be effective.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
What makes you think that? Is he any worse than Fletcher technically? I wouldn't think so, and we would be using him to do many of the things Fletcher did for us. Energy, determination, tackling. Basically a physically imposing presence in the middle of the pitch.

In a better team Fellaini would be able to fulfill a more specific role, that would better utilise his strengths. Atm he has to weigh in all over midfield for Everton as they need him to do that. We wouldn't, we would need him to protect the back 4 and win back the ball, before giving it to someone better in possession than he is.

I think he would be fantastic for us in that role, dominating the centre, and thus allowing the likes of Scholes and Carrick room to make the play.

In the last few years the games I've seen him play against United he's played as an attacking midfielder or in the hole somewhere. In that position I don't see him getting games for us. Haven't seen him play central midfield for a while, so there I can't comment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Sounds a fair description of Carrick when he is not at the top of his game tbf Pogue. Many faults can be found with almost any player who is not at his best.

You seem to have a thing for stats, while ignoring what you see with your own eyes. You know that his strengths are defensive, and he is very effective at it too. He has given us and other top teams a very tough test in past games, proving he is more than capable of holding his own at least against the bigger players, and surely that's to his credit.

Like i say i see little difference between what Fletcher does for us and what Fellaini would do. Many parts of their games are similar, only Fellaini imo is a more naturally defensive player than Fletch, and more physically imposing.

Out of interest how would you rate Fletcher's game when he is not at his best? Is he really that great when not on top of his game? I would say not, but you don't have to be great to be effective.
Eh? I commented on stats and gave an opinion on what I've seen with my own eyes. Not sure what you're on about there.

You lose me even more when you talk about his main strengths being defensive and bringing up a game in which we scored 4 goals (should have been 5). The only problems I've ever seen him cause us have been in and around our box, where he can be an awkward bugger. In terms of central midfielders at Everton who have defended well against us Phil Neville would be a much more obvious candidate. Maybe we should sign him?

Besides Fellaini's best form for Everton this season came when they signed Gibson to do all the hard work in midfield so Fellaini could have a free role further up the pitch. Yes, that Darron Gibson. Another potential transfer target?

The Fletcher comparison is absurd. You're comparing a homegrown player who cost nothing with someone who would cost an absolute fortune. Fletcher is also a better passer of the ball, works harder and is much more defensively disciplined. Of course, he may also never play football again. If we are looking to replace him we could do a lot better than Fellaini, that's for sure.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He would definitely add a few things that we are missing from the middle of the park. Defensively he's a monster in the box. One of those you instinctively avoid when crossing simply because of his presence.

The problems we always had with Chelsea, and will now face with City, were mainly struggling against strong physical players. Fellaini wouldn't start every game for us, he isn't good enough on the ball to keep our game flowing the way our current players do, but in some key matches he would be a monster for us.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol: Talk about clutching at straws!

I think the reason he gets dispossessed so often is much more likely to be because he dwells on the ball a bit too long than him somehow being much more likely than anyone else to lose the ball immediately after making a tackle.

As for him making more tackles/winning more "duels" than anyone else at Everton. So what? Look what he's up against. Who else would you expect to win more? He's also played over twice as many games as anyone else on that list bar Osman and Cahill, neither of whom would be expected to spend a lot of time defending.

If we look at the creative side of his game Pienaar has more goals and assists, despite playing less than half as many games. The same Pienaar who couldn't even get his game at Spurs.

Sorry but those stats really aren't very impressive. I thought Fellaini was immense against us and he as that Andy Carroll thing of being so much bigger stronger than most players when he's on top of his game he can bully the opposition. However, he also has that Andy Carroll thing of looking ponderous, clumsy and uncoordinated when he's not on top of his game. He also seems slow across the ground and doesn't work very hard from what I've seen. Would neWed to up his game considerably to play regularly at a CL club.
I suppose you ignored how he's better defensively than any other player in the league?

Then you compare a more defensive orientated player to a player who is a free role creative player. I never said that he was amazing creatively, I said he had improved greatly. Carrick has had a great season but how many assist and goals does be have out of interest? Or would that also be an unfair comparison?

Doesn't work very hard? :lol: How the feck would his defensive stats be so high if he didn't work for it. He's closing down players all over the pitch.

EDIT : Looking at your other posts in this thread i don't think you have seen him enough to actually comment. He is actually one of our most consistent players and a key part to our team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I suppose you ignored how he's better defensively than any other player in the league?

Then you compare a more defensive orientated player to a player who is a free role creative player. I never said that he was amazing creatively, I said he had improved greatly. Carrick has had a great season but how many assist and goals does be have out of interest? Or would that also be an unfair comparison?

Doesn't work very hard? :lol: How the feck would his defensive stats be so high if he didn't work for it. He's closing down players all over the pitch.
I tend to ignore stuff which is completely made up.

Don't know where you're getting your stats from but Opta (via Sky Sports) don't even have Fellaini in the top five for number of tackles this season. That's behind, amongst others, the mighty Joe Allen of Swansea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Regarding your edit, I didn't realise you were an Everton fan. In that case, fair enough, you've watched Fellaini a lot more than I have. I definitely got the impression his best form came after Gibson (who got dog's abuse from United fans while he was still at the club) started doing the fetching and carrying for Fellaini and allowed him a more free role further forwards. Has he actually been playing well all season?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I tend to ignore stuff which is completely made up.

Don't know where you're getting your stats from but Opta (via Sky Sports) don't even have Fellaini in the top five for number of tackles this season. That's behind, amongst others, the mighty Joe Allen of Swansea.
It's not made up. 84 tackles as in 84 successful tackles. He has 99 overall tackles with an 85% success rating. 85% of 99 is 84 funnily enough.

Cabaye is top on that list with 111 tackles, but only a 70% success rating which works out at 77.7 successful tackles.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Regarding your edit, I didn't realise you were an Everton fan. In that case, fair enough, you've watched Fellaini a lot more than I have. I definitely got the impression his best form came after Gibson (who got dog's abuse from United fans while he was still at the club) started doing the fetching and carrying for Fellaini and allowed him a more free role further forwards. Has he actually been playing well all season?
At the start of the season he was playing well but not as well as the end like you say. Playing next to Osman/Neville/Rodwell/whoever meant that he had to be a primarily defensive midfielder and didn't get the freedom in the final third which Gibson allowed. I think we have seen that to get the best out of him you need to play him beside a player who is willing to do defensive duties aswell as keeping possession allowing him to play further up the field.

At the back end of the season he was right up there playing crosses into the box for Jelavic.

Siorac

At the start of the season he was playing well but not as well as the end like you say. Playing next to Osman/Neville/Rodwell/whoever meant that he had to be a primarily defensive midfielder and didn't get the freedom in the final third which Gibson allowed. I think we have seen that to get the best out of him you need to play him beside a player who is willing to do defensive duties aswell as keeping possession allowing him to play further up the field.

At the back end of the season he was right up there playing crosses into the box for Jelavic.
Gibson does a better defensive job than Rodwell or Neville? :eek:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Gibson does a better defensive job than Rodwell or Neville? :eek:
I mean that Gibson is willing to get stuck in at the same time he is willing to keep possession and pass it around which he obviously learnt while at United. Rodwell/Neville only have the defensive discipline and tbh, Gibson doing both jobs is better than Rodwell/Neville 'specialising' in defensive duties as Fellaini is there for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.