Female Ref's at World Cup for first time

crossy1686

career ending
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61508814

Female referees will officiate matches at this year's men's World Cup for the first time in the tournament's history.

France's Stephanie Frappart, Rwanda's Salima Mukansanga and Japan's Yoshimi Yamashita will take charge of matches at the tournament in Qatar.

They will be supported by three female assistant referees.

Premier League referees Michael Oliver and Anthony Taylor have also been selected for the tournament, which begins on Monday, 21 November.

Taylor refereed the Euro 2020 match between Denmark and Finland, and was praised for reacting quickly to ensure Christian Eriksen received urgent medial attention after collapsing on the field.

In total, 36 referees, 69 assistant referees and 24 video match officials have been chosen for this year's tournament.

"As always, the criteria we have used is 'quality first' and the selected match officials represent the highest level of refereeing worldwide," said the chairman of the Fifa referees committee, Pierluigi Collina.

"This concludes a long process that began several years ago with the deployment of female referees at FIFA men's junior and senior tournaments.

"In this way, we clearly emphasise it is quality that counts for us and not gender.

"I would hope that in the future, the selection of elite women's match officials for important men's competitions will be perceived as something normal and no longer as sensational."
Great moment for female officials everywhere.

Qatari State media (amongst others) is going to lose its shit. Which broadcaster from the Middle East kept showing images of the stadium from a drone every time the camera panned to a female official? The fallout from this will be amazing.

EDIT: It was Iran (not Qatar) that showed the stadium instead of Sian Massy's legs on TV during a United game.

Last edited:

NYAS

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61508814

Great moment for female officials everywhere.

Qatari State medium (amongst others) is going to lose its shit. Which broadcaster from the Middle East kept showing images of the stadium from a drone every time the camera panned to a female official? The fallout from this will be amazing.
:lol: I’m starting to think you guys enjoy pretending to be this ignorant. There’s no other explanation.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I thought Qatar was more liberal on this kind of thing compared to its neighbours
yeah they’ve got a really bad rep for no reason. they’ve always allowed women at sporting venues. people are just ignorant and racist because they’re not “western sports.” if it’s not football then it doesn’t count. women have always been allowed to stonings, as long as they were participating. same for the sporting flogging that goes on. they’ve also been allowed to the new stadiums being built to pick up the bodies of their deceased loved ones who worked there.

crossy1686

career ending
yeah they’ve got a really bad rep for no reason. they’ve always allowed women at sporting venues. people are just ignorant and racist because they’re not “western sports.” if it’s not football then it doesn’t count. women have always been allowed to stonings, as long as they were participating. same for the sporting flogging that goes on. they’ve also been allowed to the new stadiums being built to pick up the bodies of their deceased loved ones who worked there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyway Qatar won't have any problems with this if anything it helps them to paint themselves in a better light to enlightened westerners.
Also I doubt fifa would even consider doing this without their affirmative consent.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Which is why I clearly said amongst others. If I'm ignorant towards the levels of discrimination participated in Qatar then please forgive me, it's hard to keep up with human rights these days.
I don't like the Qatari government at all I just feel this was a bit of a low blow which isn't right anyway.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't like the Qatari government at all I just feel this was a bit of a low blow which isn't right anyway.
I genuinely didn't know mate, not trying to have an unnecessary dig at anyone. It turns out they have a mandatory hijab law in Iran and that's why they censored the game anyway.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which is why I clearly said amongst others. If I'm ignorant towards the levels of discrimination participated in Qatar then please forgive me, it's hard to keep up with human rights these days.
Qatar are the black sheep of the region, while they start from a similar point they have moved slowly but surely toward a more liberal culture which is one of the reason they have been in open conflict with Saudi Arabia.

crossy1686

career ending
Qatar are the black sheep of the region, while they start from a similar point they have moved slowly but surely toward a more liberal culture which is one of the reason they have been in open conflict with Saudi Arabia.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the insight.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I genuinely didn't know mate, not trying to have an unnecessary dig at anyone. It turns out they have a mandatory hijab law in Iran and that's why they censored the game anyway.
Fair enough man I was just trying to provide context.
Criticisms against the gulf regimes are completely valid i just feel people at times go for the more low hanging fruits compared to the more pressing issues (they may actually be engaging in genuine human trafficking and slavery for example)
The iran thing is rather bizarre and probably out of this thread's scope so I won't get into it.
Anyway cheers!

NYAS

Not true. Pretty much every country in the Gulf except for Saudi (and even that is changing) are more liberal so Qatar is not a black sheep of the region. Also their conflict with Saudi is to do with politics not culture.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not true. Pretty much every country in the Gulf except for Saudi (and even that is changing) are more liberal so Qatar is not a black sheep of the region. Also their conflict with Saudi is to do with politics not culture.
Politics and culture aren't separated and they are the black sheep because Saudi Arabia who decides who is the black sheep consider them as the black sheep.

NYAS

Politics and culture aren't separated and they are the black sheep because Saudi Arabia who decides who is the black sheep consider them as the black sheep.
I like and respect you as a poster JP but I was born here and been living here my whole life. You are wrong on this one. Let’s leave it there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, that's it pretty much.

nakpodiareuben

Don't like the idea of a female referee to be honest. Let females refree the women's game while the men do the mens game. No need to complicate things

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't like the idea of a female referee to be honest. Let females refree the women's game while the men do the mens game. No need to complicate things
Considering they've done it for a few years now, I don't see the issue.

CallyRed

Female referees?
Females playing football?

Well I'll be damned.

PoTMS

Why do these refs have long hair? And tits? So confusing and overly complicated.

Can't be worse than some of the shite coming from low level leagues around the world, and we are sending Michael fecking Oliver. As long as they are used to the pace of the men's game it might actually be better as the players will be less likely to give them shit.

arthurka

Problem is finding good refs no matter the gender, sadly there aren't many.

Dve

Complicate things like how? The referee and the players could fall in love? Balls will be mixed up with breasts? A red card will be mistaken for menstruation?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
What's so complicated about getting the best person for the job? :lol:

I also love that you used the word "complicated". I can imagine Rashford skipping past a defender and getting ready to shoot before noticing that the referee is in fact a woman. "Wait, is this a dream?" he'll be thinking. BOOM! Dispossessed. Leg broken. No foul. Red card to Bruno for protesting. Liverpool crowned champions for the 100th time. God, I hate women!!!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Gender doesn’t matter but experience does. They really need to have prior experience of refereeing big men’s games. Frappart is fine, she’s a Ligue 1 ref and has done CL games, very clearly qualified to ref at this tournament.
However, Mukansanga biggest game is a group game in the men’s Afcon which had a small crowd. It just doesn’t prepare them for a World Cup and is asking for trouble. This criticism isn’t just aimed at females ref’s though, it applies to male ones to of course.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gender doesn’t matter but experience does. They really need to have prior experience of refereeing big men’s games. Frappart is fine, she’s a Ligue 1 ref and has done CL games, very clearly qualified to ref at this tournament.
However, Mukansanga biggest game is a group game in the men’s Afcon which had a small crowd. It just doesn’t prepare them for a World Cup and is asking for trouble. This criticism isn’t just aimed at females ref’s though, it applies to male ones to of course.
Yeah I’m sure they have a history of selecting referees almost for the sake of it. It’s happened before when referees are thrown into the World Cup stage despite only refereeing in small leagues/games.