Fergies 99 signings

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Dong did well to earn 1/10

Some I would give a perfect 10, like Pete and Keane.

Berbatov is never an 8, and they have given Powell and Kagawa a 6. I think the writer got bored half way through it.

Siorac

Poborsky 5 and Cruyff 2? Neither was a genius but Poborsky wasn't that much better, if at all.

Siorac

Also, Tévez and Rooney both 8? He's taking the piss with that. Even Berbatov's 8 is more credible. If only slightly.

Oggmonster

Dong did well to earn 1/10

Some I would give a perfect 10, like Pete and Keane.

Berbatov is never an 8, and they have given Powell and Kagawa a 6. I think the writer got bored half way through it.
Yeah it reads like he just couldn't be arsed after a while. None of it is that good with pretty brief descritions but players he could talk about i.e. Hernandez he gives 1 word rankings for. Lists like this never work anyway, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov all the same? Whatever people think of Rooney he's been far more successful at United than them 2 and far more effective (Tevez hardly did anything in his last season.)

Brightonian

Not really, no.

The writer doesn't seem to realise that not every player is signed to be a first-choice superstar. Every back-up keeper is slated for being a back-up keeper, for starters. And how can a free transfer ever be a 1 or 2?

Hernandez should be 8. Signed for peanuts and has comfortably scored more goals/minute than any player in PL history. De Gea should also be an 8. A couple of seasons in, 22 years old, already one of the top 3 keepers in the world. In a couple of seasons' time, he'll be a 9 or 10.

Siorac

how Schmeichel didn't score a 10 is beyond me.
Only Cantona and Ronaldo scored 10 and I think that's fair enough. They were both catalysts who took the side to another level, you can't really say the same about Schmeichel.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I think the ratings for more recent signings are off: de Gea has been pivotal for us this season and looks like a future world no.1, Nani has been terrific a lot of the time and deserves more than 6, Smalling should be higher than 6 as should Jones (7?). List is kind of odd, but amazing how many players played so few games, imagine how much could have been saved by not buying those and being put towards a mega player?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Awful list, Berbatov/Tevez as good as Rooney?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Some bad players on that list....& Dong got a 1, was he that good?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Only Cantona and Ronaldo scored 10 and I think that's fair enough. They were both catalysts who took the side to another level, you can't really say the same about Schmeichel.
He really did though, he was worth at least 12 points a season at his peak

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Prevent terrorism from ever happening around the world. Well, by the sounds of this list anyway. Tevez can get an 8 for 2 years of work that Hernandez did more in, yet he gets a 7.
Mmyeah. I actually think Schmeichel deserves a 10.

No fecking way you can rate Berba and Tevez the same as Rooney, no matter how many prozzies he's banged through the years. I'd give them both a 7 and Rooney a 9.

Silvestre on 7 is another random one I think, I recall I always nearly shat myself every single time he was near the action. He had a few good moments, but hardly worth the same score as Johnsen and Berg for instance.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
And as for Poborsky and Cruyff.......Both had the misfortune of coming through at the same time as the fledglings really took off. If Poborsky had not being competing with Becks we would have seen much more from him, and Does anyone else remember, two minutes before Becks scored THAT goal against Wimbledon, Jordi tried the exact same thing and only missed by an inch or two.......what could have been......

SirAF

Ageist
Mmyeah. I actually think Schmeichel deserves a 10.

No fecking way you can rate Berba and Tevez the same as Rooney, no matter how many prozzies he's banged through the years. I'd give them both a 7 and Rooney a 9.

Silvestre on 7 is another random one I think, I recall I always nearly shat myself every single time he was near the action. He had a few good moments, but hardly worth the same score as Johnsen and Berg for instance.
Silvestre was class next to Rio at CB, fell apart without Rio though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Hernandez is a much better signing than Tevez I reckon.

Tevez was a no brainer. Everyone knew who he was and that he was available for 2 years without a transfer fee even needing to be paid. We'd have been stupid not to go for him.

I didn't have a clue who Hernandez was until after we'd signed him. No one, either in the media or on here, had cropped up before hand and said "United should sign this player", yet he's been hugely important since arriving.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
8 for Berbatov? It's one of Fergie's biggest flop signings. £30m - I'm still not over it. :houllier::lol:
I'm not having another Berba debate... but Berbatov was not, and cannot be regarded as a "flop".

Yes, he's not an 8, more like a 6... but certainly not a flop.

Cina

Berbatov 8?

Pft, flop.

Floppy Mc Floppy Floppatov, that was him.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'd have given Schmeichel a 10 and Tevez a 7, and there were a few others that struck me as odd. Berbatov and Rooney on the same score?

But for all the re-marking I'd be tempted to do, I actually enjoyed the article. It brought back a few memories.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Tevez shouldn't be an 8. He wasn't even that great when he was here. Yes he ran around alot and combined well with Rooney at times, but he wasn't as good for us as he has been for City.

mufcwarm92

Berba probably more of a 7 but far from being a flop. Agree that Tevez 7 and Rooney 9 is more reasonable.

Minkaro

And a bitch ain't one!
No, Tevez is there.

Bit harsh to try and rate Henriquez, isn't it? Only had one season in the reserves/quietly sobbing to himself on Wigan's bench. At least Kagawa and RVP have played for us.

lysglimt

Scout
Schmeichel imo is our best signing ever - Ronaldo is number 2