Ferguson and Wes Brown

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Seem to recall he'd get a run of games, look pretty damn good, and then get hurt. And other times make a mistake or two, like the annual own goal.
At least he had the courtesy to score an own goal for us when he played for Sunderland. 5 own goals in 300 plus appearances is probably the going rate for a center back tbf.

pascell

https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/wes-brown-alex-ferguson-bids/

"When I left Man United that season, I just knew I wasn’t as good as I used to be; a couple of old injuries were starting to niggle away and I really felt like I’d dropped down a little bit – being at a club like United where you’re surrounded with top players, you just know."

Doesn't seem like a fall out to me. He was 30.
This is why I'm glad we haven't gone in for Kane, those old ankle injuries will hamper him in a few years.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Wes brown was one of the best defenders to have played for us. He's criminally underrated.
He was the best academy player to play for us since the class of 92 broke through even till now. I remembered Sir Alex said Wes would have been the best centreback in England if he could have stayed fit when he was younger.

I remember the days when he just brwned the attackers and left them on the ground with a good hard tackle. Such a shame we rarely see these kind of plays with attackers starting to fall even before there's any contact.

GueRed

Shame he was prone to major injuries especially early on in his career. Would’ve racked up a load more appearances otherwise.

I remember him playing RB in the 07/08 even In the CL final. Didn’t he get the assist ? Was very good in his day but even without injuries he would never reach Rio’s level
I agree. Wes was highly regarded as a youth. But Rio was on another level. When he was coming through at West Ham, Harry Redknapp and the London press were boldly labelling him the next Bobby Moore, he was that good.

Speaking of Wes Brown, whenever I remember watching him play, he never once complained about any decision with or against him. NEVER.

I thought it was weird as hell. Not that it is a bad thing.
Wes was quick and agressive in the tackle but as he's mentioned lots of times before he's a pretty much laid back dude.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I was having a shit in the ground floor toilet of a hotel in Malta. Suddenly, I heard someone rush to the window (which was open) and scream "Oi! Ya fackin' dumper!"

The guy rushed off but I turned around quick enough to get a glimpse that it was indeed Wesley Brown.

Bertie 2 Hats

For some reason i read the thread title as - Ferguson and West Brom.. i was then expecting it to be about the 5-5 result in SAF's last Premier League game :D

Glorio

In a seriousness though, I remember the champions league where R9 was giving Rio and co the runaround, Wes comes along and clatters him in the box, interestingly the ref did nothing! :lol:

I remember him getting up straight faced like nothing happened with a very bemused Ronaldo wondering what it was all about.

Total no-nonsense defender.

spaceboyRSA

Ferguson on Wes Brown

"I think Wes may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him. At 21 years of age, he is going to be a phenomenal player. I think he can play anywhere on the pitch.
He has such a massive influence, with his instinct and reading of the game. He has a drive about him."

Foxbatt

Ferguson on Wes Brown

"I think Wes may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him. At 21 years of age, he is going to be a phenomenal player. I think he can play anywhere on the pitch.
He has such a massive influence, with his instinct and reading of the game. He has a drive about him."
Did he say something like that about Phil Jones too?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I remember him playing RB in the 07/08 even In the CL final. Didn’t he get the assist ? Was very good in his day but even without injuries he would never reach Rio’s level
He played RB well all season, had to step in as CB in both legs vs Barca (Vidic injured), and did great there too.

432JuanMata

He played RB well all season, had to step in as CB in both legs vs Barca (Vidic injured), and did great there too.
Yeah he had a great season that season. Obviously he wasn’t going to displace Rio/Vida but cover RB excellently well. That was my favourite squad we ever had. This season we have a squad that is exciting too

SER19

Random side note, brown was excellent at rb in 07/08 though he's remembered that year for his semi final performance at centre half. Lovely assist in the final too

Bondi77

I thought he was really good at RB in that period and Ronnie had freedom to do whatever he wanted as Wes was a defensive rock behind him.

Josh 76

Yeah he had a great season that season. Obviously he wasn’t going to displace Rio/Vida but cover RB excellently well. That was my favourite squad we ever had. This season we have a squad that is exciting too
He scored against the scousers at OT that season too. :)

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Fergie was pissed off about the number of brown og's in the 90th minute so shipped him out.

Was a good defender Wesley, shame about the injuries but he served us well.

Foxbatt

Wes Brown was quick and was one of the hardest tacklers but he gets too tight on his man and gets turned easily when he plays at CB. Fergie is not the kind of person to sell a player because of a couple of own goals. Fergie would have sold him because he felt that there are other better options.

AneRu

He was the best academy player to play for us since the class of 92 broke through even till now. I remembered Sir Alex said Wes would have been the best centreback in England if he could have stayed fit when he was younger.

I remember the days when he just brwned the attackers and left them on the ground with a good hard tackle. Such a shame we rarely see these kind of plays with attackers starting to fall even before there's any contact.
I think Rashford has taken the mantle, I mean he has had a couple of consecutive 20 goal seasons and if he was playing in a stronger team his contributions would have been enough to help win a couple of trophies.

Charlie Foley

I saw Wes Brown in Tescos a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the till was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
:lol: :lol: :lol: